You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

How do you feel about a virus vaccination?

Answers

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited May 2020
    EvilPingu said:

chilling said:

Obese people can indulge in anything they like,and they generally do.

Yikes.
    I think you know I mean calorie intake.
  • CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited May 2020
    chilling said:

Obese people can indulge in anything they like,and they generally do. Nobody becomes obese overnight.
    The reference is to the fact that an obese patient requires more staff ( resources ) to treat in severe cases.
    Try turning over a 20+stone dead weight in a bed whilst the patient is hooked up on various medical devices. And doing it a numerous amount of times.
    Of course , you can be obese at a far lighter weight than at 20+stone.

I understand this up to a point and it's very harsh in todays terms given the fat shaming culture we seem to be living in. There are many reasons why people are heavier than others. Given @Haysie @essexphil etc. have popped in and being of an opinionated nature this could spiral on :)

Wouldn't stick all heavy/big boned/plump/portly/well-made people in the same box as it were. Is the post slightly unfair? Is that fair enough ;)
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited May 2020
    More than slightly unfair.

Obesity is a complex topic. For some, it is as simple as @chilling would wish.

Rather unfair on the whole host of other people. Ignores both physical and mental causes.

Genetics, medication (such as steroids), diabetes, hypothyroidism, self-loathing. That's right. Just lump them all together.

And blame them all equally. That will help.
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2020
    chilling said:

EvilPingu said:

chilling said:

Obese people can indulge in anything they like,and they generally do.

Yikes.
    I think you know I mean calorie intake.
    Yeah, I know. Pretty nasty thing to post on a public forum, don't you think?
    chilling said:

Whether somebody smokes, drinks too much, or takes drugs etc, is often no that obvious to the eye. Somebody that is obese is very easy to determine.
    Being obese nearly always leads to multiple problems that end up at the front door of the NHS.
    Instead of folks moaning about funding in the NHS, it would be better for folks to look after themselves and not burden the NHS with something that is self inflicted.
    There should be a system in place to stop folks from getting obese.
    For instance, being made to see their GP once a year. Then solutions after that, which I won’t go into at this time.
    If somebody wants to be a burden on the NHS , they can, it’s a free country.
    That’s not a good way forward to lead to a better NHS though.
    My link was with the difficulty in treating obese patients in hospital, who have covid.
    If you think it’s ok for everybody to have the right to being obese, then that’s probably held by the rest of the nation too, but it’s not mine.
    If folks gloss over all the needless self inflicted conditions that the NHS has to deal with, you might find it would run a **** of a lot smoother.

I would expect somebody who regards themselves as obese to defend themselves.
    But I think you’re missing the point with the applauding.

Obesity cost the NHS an estimated £6.1bn in 2014-15 (source). A decent chunk of that will obviously be unavoidable, since it is the result of other medical conditions. It'll also include obese people seeking mental health support primarily as the result of obesity, in part due to attitudes like yours.

Eating disorders cost the NHS an estimated £3.9-£4.6bn (no year specified but the report was published February 2015) (source), plus the cost to the economy of people being out of work for extended periods. Attitudes like yours towards obesity and obese people within our society contribute massively towards the prevalence of eating disorders.

If you want to moan about the burden that obesity places on the NHS, maybe the first thing you should do is to look in the mirror, stop being part of the problem, and make the world a better place for everyone else in the process. #BeKind
    last 2 posts ITT on the obesity issue covers it fairly well.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,948
    Cammykaze said:

That will not stop the usual idiots talking the same old bo llox.

Some just cant help it.
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Some just cant help it.
    Was certainly a sweeping generalisation
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Some just cant help it.
    Was certainly a sweeping generalisation
    Although true, at least in one particular case.
    chilling said:

@chilling. Mate whilst I respect your right to an opinion and also your right to express it.
    As far as the obese showing our appreciation of the N.H.S. goes you're talking bollox.

I'm obese and my showing support isn't hypocritical or unwarranted. Maybe next you want to stop smokers from showing support, then maybe those with mental illness.

There are many different ways we as people put extra burden on the health service. It should not preclude us from being able to appreciate and support them.

Oh and think on this, I can always diet, you I fear will always talk bollox.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and as you are aware , I don’t hesitate on giving mine.
    I never stated that obese folks can’t applaud the NHS, of course they can.
    Whether somebody smokes, drinks too much, or takes drugs etc, is often no that obvious to the eye. Somebody that is obese is very easy to determine.
    Being obese nearly always leads to multiple problems that end up at the front door of the NHS.
    Instead of folks moaning about funding in the NHS, it would be better for folks to look after themselves and not burden the NHS with something that is self inflicted.
    For instance, being made to see their GP once a year. Then solutions after that, which I won’t go into at this time.
    My link was with the difficulty in treating obese patients in hospital, who have covid.
    If you think it’s ok for everybody to have the right to being obese, then that’s probably held by the rest of the nation too, but it’s not mine.
    If folks gloss over all the needless self inflicted conditions that the NHS has to deal with, you might find it would run a **** of a lot smoother.

Are cancer patients a drain on the NHS?

What about little kids with leukaemia?

Should they be clapping?

Or would you just consider this to be ironic too?
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Cammykaze said:

The Donald looking at Hydroxychloroquine as an alternative. Assume it's taken orally rather than used as a vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52717161

What have US health officials said?
    The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last month issued an advisory saying that hydroxychloroquine has "not been shown to be safe and effective".
    It cited reports that the drug can cause serious heart rhythm problems in Covid-19 patients.
    The FDA warned against use of the medication outside hospitals, where the agency has granted temporary authorisation for its use in some cases. Clinical trials of the drug are also under way.
    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says there are no approved drugs or therapeutics to prevent or treat Covid-19, which is confirmed to have infected more than 1.5 million people in the US, killing more than 90,000 patients.

Anyone think the Trump has shares in the company perchance?

tomgoodun said:

Cammykaze said:

The Donald looking at Hydroxychloroquine as an alternative. Assume it's taken orally rather than used as a vaccine.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last month issued an advisory saying that hydroxychloroquine has "not been shown to be safe and effective".
    It cited reports that the drug can cause serious heart rhythm problems in Covid-19 patients.
    The FDA warned against use of the medication outside hospitals, where the agency has granted temporary authorisation for its use in some cases. Clinical trials of the drug are also under way.
    The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says there are no approved drugs or therapeutics to prevent or treat Covid-19, which is confirmed to have infected more than 1.5 million people in the US, killing more than 90,000 patients.

• chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

@chilling. Mate whilst I respect your right to an opinion and also your right to express it.
    As far as the obese showing our appreciation of the N.H.S. goes you're talking bollox.

I'm obese and my showing support isn't hypocritical or unwarranted. Maybe next you want to stop smokers from showing support, then maybe those with mental illness.

There are many different ways we as people put extra burden on the health service. It should not preclude us from being able to appreciate and support them.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and as you are aware , I don’t hesitate on giving mine.

Should they be clapping?

There are millions of obese folks in this country that don’t give a t oss that they’re obese.
    Most will be a burden on the NHS now or in the future, their kids too.
    I already had lots of info on the affect obesity has on the NHS prior to my posting that appears to have ruffled some feathers. Yeah, it’s supposed to be sarcastic,but holds a lot of truth.
    Who is going to get the millions of obese folks slimmer, more healthy? Answer, no one.

In the meantime,WTF are your comments above supposed to be referring to?
    tomgoodun said:

Cammykaze said:

FDA are interested in patents and telling people what to do. I still haven't quite forgiven them for approving sugar substitutes/sweeteners outwith plants. We are fatter, unhealthier and have more mental health issues per capita than likely ever before. I am a little bias on them for sure.

Can't put all in the above paragraph down to the FDA of course, that would be a bit silly :)

I am big on vitamins, diet, general well-being and taking responsibility for yourself.

I would not be shocked to hear if Trump has shares in anything he promotes, he is a businessman/salesman after all :smiley:
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Should they be clapping?

There are millions of obese folks in this country that don’t give a t oss that they’re obese.
    I already had lots of info on the affect obesity has on the NHS prior to my posting that appears to have ruffled some feathers. Yeah, it’s supposed to be sarcastic,but holds a lot of truth.
    Who is going to get the millions of obese folks slimmer, more healthy? Answer, no one.

The point is that you have completely missed the point yet again.

The clapping on a Thursday is a tribute to the fearless NHS staff, who risk their lives on a daily basis.

There is no qualifying criteria for this tribute.

You can applaud whether you are tall, short, fat, thin, gay, straight, healthy, ill, a smoker, non smoker, have mental problems, or not, and whether or not some idiots consider you a burden on the NHS.

When the NHS was born, it was to provide free health care for all.

No exceptions.

This is what you said.

Regarding being obese,so many are just that.
    It’s ironic how some of those in that category are likely out clapping the NHS.
    When what they really want is to over indulge with Greggs produce, and get back to the pub and neck all night, when it’s ok to do so.
    They should take this opportunity to sort themselves out.

You seem to be inferring that obese people should not be taking part in the weekly tribute.

The point of my post was to illustrate that there are many categories of people that also require intensive, and costly treatment from the NHS, that aren't obese.

I wondered if you thought they should be allowed to applaud or not.

What about thin people involved with IVF, now that is really expensive, can they clap?

Ps Greggs are closed.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Should they be clapping?

The point is that you have completely missed the point yet again.

The clapping on a Thursday is a tribute to the fearless NHS staff, who risk their lives on a daily basis.

There is no qualifying criteria for this tribute.

You can applaud whether you are tall, short, fat, thin, gay, straight, healthy, ill, a smoker, non smoker, have mental problems, or not, and whether or not some idiots consider you a burden on the NHS.

When the NHS was born, it was to provide free health care for all.

No exceptions.

This is what you said.

Regarding being obese,so many are just that.
    It’s ironic how some of those in that category are likely out clapping the NHS.
    When what they really want is to over indulge with Greggs produce, and get back to the pub and neck all night, when it’s ok to do so.
    They should take this opportunity to sort themselves out.

You seem to be inferring that obese people should not be taking part in the weekly tribute.

The point of my post was to illustrate that there are many categories of people that also require intensive, and costly treatment from the NHS, that aren't obese.

I wondered if you thought they should be allowed to applaud or not.

What about thin people involved with IVF, now that is really expensive, can they clap?

Ps Greggs are closed.
    As of today 181 NHS workers, and 131 care home staff have died from the virus, some of whom will also have been fat.
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    Cammykaze said:

tomgoodun said:

Cammykaze said:

FDA are interested in patents and telling people what to do. I still haven't quite forgiven them for approving sugar substitutes/sweeteners outwith plants. We are fatter, unhealthier and have more mental health issues per capita than likely ever before. I am a little bias on them for sure.

Can't put all in the above paragraph down to the FDA of course, that would be a bit silly :)

I am big on vitamins, diet, general well-being and taking responsibility for yourself.

I would not be shocked to hear if Trump has shares in anything he promotes, he is a businessman/salesman after all :smiley:
    He’s also the POTUS , a position which holds great responsibility, and promoting drugs which will cause harm to certain people is truly shocking.

Trouble is, when it’s pointed out to his supporters just how badly he handles certain things, there’s the shrug of the shoulders ( as per your reply) and a “ That’s just the way he is” mentality.

It’s scary that he has so many supporters, people who think like him, and will take this drug just on his say so.
  • EvilPinguEvilPingu Member Posts: 3,462
    edited May 2020
    chilling said:

I already had lots of info on the affect obesity has on the NHS prior to my posting that appears to have ruffled some feathers.

Because you're awfully ignorant, especially for someone with so much info.

Also
    *effect
    chilling said:

Go look up some data about comorbidity of obesity and mental illness.

Also, why are so many new years' revolutions "Go on a diet", "Exercise more" etc.

None of that suggests a population that "doesn't give a toss".
    chilling said:

Yes, obesity is influenced by both genetic and environmental factors. Obese parents will probably have obese children.
    chilling said:

chilling said:

It would cost more to treat obesity in the ways that you proposed in your other post, which having "lots of info" would have told you if you thought about it for more than two seconds.

Just the annual GP 'obesity checkup' appointments you propose for the entire population of the UK, would require somewhere in the region of £1bn a year to be spent on GP wages for initial appointments alone (I think that's likely an underestimate, too). That's before you consider the follow-up appointments, costs of training, treatment, other staff (e.g. receptionists), building/upkeep of extra GP practices to cope with the extra demand, and cost to the economy of people taking a morning/afternoon off work to have their appointment.

Also, let's assume your claim that millions of people "don't give a toss" applies. You can't force people to care - If they "don't give a toss", they're going to miss appointments, or turn up and say the right things but do nothing, rinse and repeat next year. That means your approach costs the NHS money and achieves nothing, so you're clearly not thinking about what you're writing at all. Seems a real waste of all that 'info' you've 'gathered' to put so little thought into a solution.

In the worst case scenario, these people stop registering with their local GP, and other issues go undetected until they require emergency treatment and possibly medication for life at massive expense, assuming they survive at all.

If people do care, then not only is it questionable just how effective it would be at helping to treat obesity in the population and thus saving any money, but it would also have a negative impact on the mental health of the population to place so much emphasis on everyone's weight. There's the obvious anxiety issues it would cause in the obese population, which would only make it tougher for someone to lose weight, and the last thing you want to do is encourage someone to pop a dozen Bisacodyl tablets or shove their fingers down their throat to can then have the behaviour reinforced by their GP telling them they're not obese.

So yeah, congratulations, you've come up with a solution that does very little to fix the problem, actually costs the NHS money overall, and directly causes other issues instead. Good job. Round of applause for you :)
    chilling said:

Yeah, it’s supposed to be sarcastic,but holds a lot of truth.

Bullsh*t.
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    "An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone."

That's a direct quote from the article that Vespa quotes above.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    edited May 2020