You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    Gammon, like bacon, has too much sodium.
    Chips, get your carbs from elsewhere. Who doesn’t put salt on their chips too.
    A high intake of carbs, means you need to burn that off. Clicking buttons falls short on that front.
    Beans( presumably baked?) too much salt ,again.
    Egg and pineapple 👍
    Black pudding is no longer acceptable.
    Needs a new name.
    Stay alert. Jog on🏃‍♂️
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,510
    Phantom66 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp3q1Oaezw

Talks like this should be shown as part of the school curriculum.

"How can you hate me when you don't even know me"

They don't hate him because they don't know him, they hate him for taking their jobs, GP appointments, hospital beds, speaking foreign languages in pubs, unauthorised use of swimming pools, etc, etc, etc,

Education would seem to be a very long term possible solution.

I think it would be very easy to influence people before they had formed a view.

Much more difficult to change those that already have racist views.

How can you educate those that point out the following in regard to George Floyd,
    she was yet to see "hard evidence" that Mr Floyd was innocent when he died.
    "There is video footage of him refusing to get out of his car, which warrants for the police officers to use whatever means necessary to restrain the person.
    "He also SUPPOSEDLY had drugs in his system, but I doubt they will release the autopsy now... Oh and let’s not forget that George Floyd also has a criminal record dating back to the 90s.

If you are the third generation of a family that has never had a job between them, and blame immigrants for taking the jobs, you will believe your views are justified.

I think some kids are influenced by their parents, other parents seem to opt out of parenting, others by their peers, and many by internet posts.

The internet has made it easy to influence young people, and very easy for like minded people to stay in touch with each other.

I think the real point is that people who are racist believe they are right, and many will not entertain that their views are wrong.

I also think it is quite easy to produce a video that reinforces the views of those who aren't racist, much more difficult to produce one that would change the views of those who are.

Perhaps the education could start with Nigel Farage, often referred to as the most influential politician of the last 20 years, who produced a number of racist posters during the Brexit campaign, and couldn't blame anyone for not wanting for not wanting to live next door to a Romanian.

Or maybe Boris, and his numerous examples of racism.

We have moved forward as "No Blacks" signs are no longer acceptable in Guest Houses, but were common not that long ago.

Although progress seems to be very slow.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp3q1Oaezw

Talks like this should be shown as part of the school curriculum.

"How can you hate me when you don't even know me"

Is a superiority complex a factor?

We won the War, Britannia Rules the Waves, Great Britain, The Empire, etc, etc.

Why do we have to have the worlds best everything?

Why do we purport to be world leaders in most things?

Why did we have to have a world beating track and trace app, why couldn't we just have one that worked?
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Of course they don't hate him because they don't know him.

I just think it is an incredible story and shows what can be done.

Daryl Davis asked himself the simple question "How can someone who has never laid eyes on me, has never spoken to me, knew absolutely nothing about me except this, the colour of my skin, would want to inflict pain on me."

He couldn't find the answer in books so he approached a KKK leader, Roger Kelly. Over a period of time grew trust, respect, friendship and then eventually Roger Kelly left the Klan.

I doubt if you can find people more entrenched in their views and beliefs than KKK leaders. Not every racist will have a Daryl Davis in their lives, but this story does show that anything is possible with time and the right approach.

Spotting overt racism is easy to do and should be called out and dealt with through the law. Changing societal views, casual racism, correcting racial bias will take a lot longer. Education has to play a part, social inclusion has to play a part.

As for the 12 year old I hope that he gets help. He wasn't born with those views he was influenced by others. Maybe a sit down and discussion with Wilfred Zaha and a few Villa players (black and white) would help.

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    stokefc said:

VespaPX said:

stokefc said:

its nice with chips and egg i know that

Pineapple?
    prefer beans
    +1 :)
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

Daryl Davis asked himself the simple question "How can someone who has never laid eyes on me, has never spoken to me, knew absolutely nothing about me except this, the colour of my skin, would want to inflict pain on me."

He couldn't find the answer in books so he approached a KKK leader, Roger Kelly. Over a period of time grew trust, respect, friendship and then eventually Roger Kelly left the Klan.

I doubt if you can find people more entrenched in their views and beliefs than KKK leaders. Not every racist will have a Daryl Davis in their lives, but this story does show that anything is possible with time and the right approach.

Spotting overt racism is easy to do and should be called out and dealt with through the law. Changing societal views, casual racism, correcting racial bias will take a lot longer. Education has to play a part, social inclusion has to play a part.

As for the 12 year old I hope that he gets help. He wasn't born with those views he was influenced by others. Maybe a sit down and discussion with Wilfred Zaha and a few Villa players (black and white) would help.

One down...……………………………….

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) there were 190 Ku Klux Klan chapters in 2015, an 18 per cent increase on the previous year.
    However, three fewer states had chapters in 2015, a total of 36.

The SPLC estimates that the KKK has between 5,000 and 8,000 members in the US today.

The total number of 190 KKK groups does not include 94 Neo-Nazi groups, 95 White Nationalist groups, 95 Racist Skinhead groups, or 35 Neo-Confederate groups.
    The overall number of hate groups has been rising dramatically since the turn of the century, according to the SPLC.

In 2015 the SPLC documented 892 hate groups, a 14 per cent increase from in 2014.

https://www.indy100.com/article/map-the-scary-number-of-us-states-that-still-have-an-active-kkk-chapter--WJegB8EApCx
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2020
    One day I will get through this thread and read all responses. Not for a long time though.

CV, family, poker, projects and other threads are part of the reason. One other, it's very negative and counter-productive for the most part on a debating and a time thief level.

That said, the KKK stats you post appear to be shocking but maybe shouldn't
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

One day I will get through this thread and read all responses. Not for a long time though.

CV, family, poker, projects and other threads are part of the reason. One other, it's very negative and counter-productive for the most part on a debating and a time thief level.

It is not only the KKK, the other stats are a worry?

The total number of 190 KKK groups does not include 94 Neo-Nazi groups, 95 White Nationalist groups, 95 Racist Skinhead groups, or 35 Neo-Confederate groups.
    The overall number of hate groups has been rising dramatically since the turn of the century, according to the SPLC.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

St Louis couple charged for pointing guns at demonstrators outside their home in Missouri

A St Louis couple who brandished guns outside their home as non-violent protesters marched against racial injustice nearby have been charged by prosecutors.
    Mark and Patricia McCloskey were charged on Monday with unlawful use of a weapon for displaying guns during a protest outside their mansion last month.
    Footage of the white couple, who are both personal injury lawyers in their 60s, went viral amid worldwide Black Lives Matter protests.

St Louis's top prosecutor, Kim Gardner, said the McCloskey's actions risked creating a violent situation during an otherwise peaceful protest.
    "It is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner - that is unlawful in the city of St Louis," Ms Gardner said.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/st-louis-couple-charged-pointing-041800518.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

St Louis couple charged for pointing guns at demonstrators outside their home in Missouri

A St Louis couple who brandished guns outside their home as non-violent protesters marched against racial injustice nearby have been charged by prosecutors.
    Mark and Patricia McCloskey were charged on Monday with unlawful use of a weapon for displaying guns during a protest outside their mansion last month.
    Footage of the white couple, who are both personal injury lawyers in their 60s, went viral amid worldwide Black Lives Matter protests.

St Louis's top prosecutor, Kim Gardner, said the McCloskey's actions risked creating a violent situation during an otherwise peaceful protest.
    "It is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner - that is unlawful in the city of St Louis," Ms Gardner said.

Also being reported that the Republican Governor will pardon them if they are given a jail sentence.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

Also being reported that the Republican Governor will pardon them if they are given a jail sentence.
    Yes.

Ms Gardner is recommending a diversion program such as community service rather than jail time if the McCloskeys are convicted, although the charge can bring sentences of up to four years in prison.
    Several Republican leaders have condemned Ms Gardner's investigation, including President Donald Trump, Missouri governor Mike Parson and senator Josh Hawley, who has urged Attorney General William Barr to undertake a civil rights investigation of Ms Gardner.
    Mr Parson said in a radio interview on Friday that he would likely pardon the couple if they were charged and convicted.
    Ms Gardner said Mr Trump, Mr Parson and others were attacking her to distract from "their failed approach to the Covid-19 pandemic" and other issues.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Phantom66 said:

One down...……………………………….

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) there were 190 Ku Klux Klan chapters in 2015, an 18 per cent increase on the previous year.

The SPLC estimates that the KKK has between 5,000 and 8,000 members in the US today.

In 2015 the SPLC documented 892 hate groups, a 14 per cent increase from in 2014.

https://www.indy100.com/article/map-the-scary-number-of-us-states-that-still-have-an-active-kkk-chapter--WJegB8EApCx
    I don't know enough about US law but it is amazing that these organisations and membership of them is legal.

It's a shame Robert Kerry didn't persuade any one else to give up their robes and follow his lead. I thought there was a telling point where Robert Kelly is getting heckled about the presence of Daryl Davis at the rally.

He then says something along the lines of I tell you what I respect this man alot more than I respect some of you white n*****s. The look of sheer hate on the guy at Daryl's side towards Daryl is shocking.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

Phantom66 said:

One down...……………………………….

I don't know enough about US law but it is amazing that these organisations and membership of them is legal.

It's a shame Robert Kerry didn't persuade any one else to give up their robes and follow his lead. I thought there was a telling point where Robert Kelly is getting heckled about the presence of Daryl Davis at the rally.

He then says something along the lines of I tell you what I respect this man alot more than I respect some of you white n*****s. The look of sheer hate on the guy at Daryl's side towards Daryl is shocking.
    The big problem is that they fervently believe that they are right, and the rest of us are wrong.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

The interference probably isn't helpful, and may set a precedent.

I think the situation was summed up well as follows,

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

I really hope that they take a plea. Unfortunately they have nothing to lose now, the Governor has publicly said he will pardon them.

Imagine the media storm if this goes to court. Not to mention the NRA and the like protesting in the streets.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

Phantom66 said:

HAYSIE said:

I really hope that they take a plea. Unfortunately they have nothing to lose now, the Governor has publicly said he will pardon them.

Imagine the media storm if this goes to court. Not to mention the NRA and the like protesting in the streets.
    It is just a really messy story.

Why should they get away with breaking the law?
  • Options
    Leader of Britain's largest Muslim charity quits after labelling Jews 'grandchildren of monkeys and pigs' and calling Egypt's president a 'Zionist pimp' in anti-Semitic Facebook posts

Heshmat Khalifa , (pictured left with the Princess Royal, and right) a former trustee and director of Islamic Relief Worldwide, said the Jews are 'grandchildren of monkeys and pigs.' Mr Khalifa also described Egypt's president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi as a 'Zionist pimp' on his Facebook page (inset: an image depicting President el-Sisi from one of his Facebook posts). And he called the Muslim president - who ousted President Morsi in July 2013 - a 'pimp son of the Jews' and a 'Zionist criminal.' Mr Khalifa - who until recently was Chairman of Islamic Relief Australia - also used social media to described Hamas as 'the purest resistance movement in modern history'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    Black mother whose two sons inherited her Irish husband's fair colouring while her daughter has her dark skin and hair reveals the racism her little girl faces - including being called 'chocolate face' at preschool

Sophia Cooper, from Redditch, Worcs, told how she is stopped in the street by strangers who ask why her daughter, Flossy, four, is black - when her two sons, Fin, 11, and Maxwell, eight, are white (pictured left, with husband Chris and their children). Unusually, her two sons have inherited her Irish husband's fair skin and bright eyes, but her daughter has inherited her mum's dark skin and hair. Pictured right, Fin, Flossy and Maxwell.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html