You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    On the above video and quotes where do you stand on this incident @HAYSIE ?
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,510
    VespaPX said:

If someone accused you of "white privilege" wouldn't their accusation be based on your skin colour?

Yes, but two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Options
    Miss Swimsuit UK winner Jasmine Archer-Jones 'has title stripped after rant about Black Lives Matter on Facebook'

Miss Swimsuit UK has reportedly been stripped of her title after posting a rant about the Black Lives Matter protests on Facebook.
    Ms Archer-Jones, 23, made a post last month about the wave of protests prompted by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, US.

She has also deleted the post about the Black Lives Matter protesters, which said demonstrators had used Mr Floyd's death as an "excuse to let loose" after lockdown.
    Ms Archer-Jones said she was yet to see "hard evidence" that Mr Floyd was innocent when he died.
    Screenshots of the post said: "If you look deeply into statistics, more UNARMED WHITE people DIED than BLACK last year."
    She added: "There is video footage of him refusing to get out of his car, which warrants for the police officers to use whatever means necessary to restrain the person.
    "He also SUPPOSEDLY had drugs in his system, but I doubt they will release the autopsy now... Oh and let’s not forget that George Floyd also has a criminal record dating back to the 90s."
    She finished the post by saying: "I DO NOT discriminate against any person. But THIS IS NOT OK."

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/miss-swimsuit-uk-winner-jasmine-102824868.html
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

He then filmed as one told him to 'get off the f*****g bus,' adding, 'If you're pulling the race card you might as well be a black c*** then.'

Moment white bus passenger accuses black man of 'pulling the race card'... then goes on to hurl tirade of racist abuse at him after row on top deck
    Video shows two men screaming at teenager on bus in Lewisham, south London
    Alleged victim films as two white men are seen telling him to get off the bus
    17-year-old asks if 'there is a racial issue' as the argument spills onto the street

Shocking footage has captured the moment two men round on a black teenager on a bus before threatening to 'knock him out.'
    Trey Robinson videoed two men as they told him to get off a bus in Lewisham, south London after a confrontation on the top deck yesterday.
    The 17-year-old sixth form student claims the pair were 'staring' at him before he asked them 'if there was a racial issue.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8529687/Pair-force-black-teenager-bus-row-board.html

Morning Haysie,

Being up very early on a Saturday morning and feeling somewhat fresh I will reply based on what I seen from my side and watching this video once.

Could hardly make out what was said and we only have 56 secs of video to view.

Generally speaking or typing ;) we need to watch our Ps and Qs a little more than before and should not be quick to use the terms racist, white privilege/race card and the like.

On the media and BLM. These two outlets are escalating things and it's time for cool heads. The media can not be trusted IMHO and the BLM movement is gaining big support, hope it stays as peaceful as possible. Protesting is good if it stays civil. We don't need it rammed down our throats though.

The worry is if the Movement and the Media keep pushing as hard as they have done then it will get a bit of backlash and people will be sick of it. That's not a good thing.

This thread is becoming a joke now and is not generating a healthy discussion at all. Posting newspaper articles and quotes on the subject is getting a little worn. All for discussion and even a debate, this thread does not seem to be generating enough to spend more time on it.

People more sensible that I will avoid this thread and quite rightly to.
    I think the problem with protests is that if there are lots of them, they lose impact, and many people ignore them, or just become fed up with protests, irrespective of their merits.

We seem to have so many minorities all wanting their voices heard.

Many of them want the same thing, so maybe they should group together and protest against discrimination, and for equality.

We are also mistaken in some cases.

A number of people in the gun toting couple discussion attributed the protest to BLM, when it clearly wasn't, it was a protest against The Mayor.

I think that at least in the case of racism, it is a state of mind.

Legislation doesn't change peoples attitudes, and to address racism this is something you must do.

Removing a twitter post does not change the views of the swimwear woman who posted it in the first place.

I dont believe that the hotel woman that was sacked really thought about her comment, it was probably what she really felt.

People that start a big fight in a Wetherspoons over someone speaking Polish are racist.

As are people prepared to abuse young black people on a bus.

The legislation we have in place did not put a stop to any of the above.

I remember watching The Chamber many years ago, where Gene Hackmans lawyer felt sorry for him in the end.

He made the point that after growing up in a prominent KKK family, he probably didn't have a chance to turn out differently.

To improve the situation will require racists to change their minds.

I dont see this happening any time soon.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2020
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

He then filmed as one told him to 'get off the f*****g bus,' adding, 'If you're pulling the race card you might as well be a black c*** then.'

Moment white bus passenger accuses black man of 'pulling the race card'... then goes on to hurl tirade of racist abuse at him after row on top deck
    17-year-old asks if 'there is a racial issue' as the argument spills onto the street

Shocking footage has captured the moment two men round on a black teenager on a bus before threatening to 'knock him out.'
    Trey Robinson videoed two men as they told him to get off a bus in Lewisham, south London after a confrontation on the top deck yesterday.
    The 17-year-old sixth form student claims the pair were 'staring' at him before he asked them 'if there was a racial issue.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8529687/Pair-force-black-teenager-bus-row-board.html

Morning Haysie,

Being up very early on a Saturday morning and feeling somewhat fresh I will reply based on what I seen from my side and watching this video once.

Generally speaking or typing ;) we need to watch our Ps and Qs a little more than before and should not be quick to use the terms racist, white privilege/race card and the like.

On the media and BLM. These two outlets are escalating things and it's time for cool heads. The media can not be trusted IMHO and the BLM movement is gaining big support, hope it stays as peaceful as possible. Protesting is good if it stays civil. We don't need it rammed down our throats though.

The worry is if the Movement and the Media keep pushing as hard as they have done then it will get a bit of backlash and people will be sick of it. That's not a good thing.

This thread is becoming a joke now and is not generating a healthy discussion at all. Posting newspaper articles and quotes on the subject is getting a little worn. All for discussion and even a debate, this thread does not seem to be generating enough to spend more time on it.

I think the problem with protests is that if there are lots of them, they lose impact, and many people ignore them, or just become fed up with protests, irrespective of their merits.

Many of them want the same thing, so maybe they should group together and protest against discrimination, and for equality.

A number of people in the gun toting couple discussion attributed the protest to BLM, when it clearly wasn't, it was a protest against The Mayor.

Legislation doesn't change peoples attitudes, and to address racism this is something you must do.

Removing a twitter post does not change the views of the swimwear woman who posted it in the first place.

I dont believe that the hotel woman that was sacked really thought about her comment, it was probably what she really felt.

People that start a big fight in a Wetherspoons over someone speaking Polish are racist.

I remember watching The Chamber many years ago, where Gene Hackmans lawyer felt sorry for him in the end.

He made the point that after growing up in a prominent KKK family, he probably didn't have a chance to turn out differently.

Thank you for the post Haysie :)

As has been said Racism is such a tough subject to handle and talk about with care.

Couple of things if I may:-

"People that start a big fight in a Wetherspoons over someone speaking Polish are racist".

I would say idiot myself.

Is unsavoury people a nicer way of saying this? I am quite set on what I believe to be racist and what is ignorance and general stupidness. What was said here?

Could be lack of education and not having the best upbringing to come away with nonsense with someone from another country.

I will maybe stay away from pubs myself for a bit as things are maybe a bit raw still for some. A quiet pint isn't likely to happen by the sounds of it :)

Any abuse is bad, if you are referring to the video you posted recently then it's unpleasant however we are only (seemingly) hearing/seeing things from one persons view.

Can't change some so it may be a losing proposition in certain cases. I do agree with looking for a way to help people who are racist to think differently or see the other side at least.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Morning Haysie,

Thank you for the post Haysie :)

As has been said Racism is such a tough subject to handle and talk about with care.

Couple of things if I may:-

"People that start a big fight in a Wetherspoons over someone speaking Polish are racist".

I would say idiot myself.

Is unsavoury people a nicer way of saying this? I am quite set on what I believe to be racist and what is ignorance and general stupidness. What was said here?

Could be lack of education and not having the best upbringing to come away with nonsense with someone from another country.

I will maybe stay away from pubs myself for a bit as things are maybe a bit raw still for some. A quiet pint isn't likely to happen by the sounds of it :)

Any abuse is bad, if you are referring to the video you posted recently then it's unpleasant however we are only (seemingly) hearing/seeing things from one persons view.

Can't change some so it may be a losing proposition in certain cases. I do agree with looking for a way to help people who are racist to think differently or see the other side at least.
    We have racist organisations in this country.

Their members are obviously racist.

Not every racist is a member of one of these organisations.

When we outlaw The National Front, the membership does not evaporate, or disappear, nor does it stop these people persuading others of their views.

The internet, particularly social media, has made this much easier.

Some people resent immigrants, or those that look like immigrants, because they feel that immigrants are taking British peoples jobs.

As a result they hold racist views.

This is their belief, they genuinely believe it to be true, and are unlikely to accept any contrary proof.

The American hotel woman that got sacked probably believed that it was always "those" people that used the pool without authorisation.

The only people around the pool at the time were a white couple that she didn't speak to, never mind question, and a black woman and her kids that she asked for her room number, before commenting, that it was always "you" people.

These are her beliefs, it is a state of mind.

How do you change this?

There are incidents of racism reported in the media almost on a daily basis.

Legislation seems to have little effect.

To make inroads, you have to change the way these people think.

As I have said previously I believe in leopards and spots, and that people don't change much.

Assuming there is a problem in the police force, it would be easy to solve, in theory, by being hard on those involved in racist incidents, and firing them.

In reality, I believe it is probably difficult to fire a police officer, particularly one with many years service.

If so, nothing very much changes.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Sadly I don't think much is going to change for a long time. I think/hope it will get less and less prominent, but it's always gonna be there.

Look at organisations like the EDL, or the gammon that turn up to 'protect the statues'. It's almost exclusively white males around the 40/50 age mark.

No amount of education or information is going to change their mindset. You will get a few who perhaps see the light or move away from far right movements as they get older, but most will hold their vile views until they are 6 ft under.

And no doubt a lot of them will have children, and unless those kids can break the cycle then it will just continue.

Seeing things like a 12 year old sending Zaha those messages online, where on earth does a 12 year old learn behaviour like that?
    Is that kid forever doomed to be a racist knob or is he/she still young enough to be put on the correct path?

I'd hope for the latter but fear the former. It baffles me that a 12 year old is even thinking about things like skin colour, let alone then sending racist messages over the web.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORp3q1Oaezw

Talks like this should be shown as part of the school curriculum.

"How can you hate me when you don't even know me"
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    edited July 2020
    Hunting for 12 year olds really is the wrong approach when there are plenty of influential adults out peddling hate along the same lines using the same tools. There used to be an opinion that children could be excused for mistakes.

As long as you have people looking at others through a group identity lens, rather than trying to find the individual, hate and division will reign. For example, referring to a large proportion of a country as ‘gammon’ at every opportunity.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    bbMike said:

Hunting for 12 year olds really is the wrong approach when there are plenty of adults out peddling hate along the same lines using the same tools. There used to be an opinion that children could be excused for mistakes.

As long as you have people looking at others through a group identity lens, rather than trying to find the individual, hate and division will reign. For example, referring to large proportion of a country as ‘gammon’ at every opportunity.

Hardly ''hunting'', it was a well reported case in the media, used as an example to ask 'where do they go from here'? As mistakes a 12 year might make, this is a pretty bad one. Can only assume they've been taught that behaviour by parents/family, again which is something I touched on, as it's obviously not normal behaviour for a 12 year old kid. Far from it in fact.
    They clearly can't have had a great start in life if they think its ok to send messages of that nature, so you'd hope all is not lost for them if they can be put on the correct path through education and learning.

Otherwise they might turn out to be a gammon, spending their Saturday afternoons protecting inanimate objects.

Might have ham for tea.

Edit....calling people who turn out to 'protect statues' as gammon isn't a large proportion of a country either. In fact it's a very small proportion of a country.
  • Options
    I don’t think it’s only people who went out to ‘protect statues’ who have been referred to by you and others as gammon. I may be wrong but it appears to apply to large swathe of people who voted for Brexit. Given the use of ‘gammon’ refers to the colour of a white person’s skin when their blood pressure rises, it’s a racist term is it not? Just seems to be a strange term to want to use liberally when discussing how others might be racist.

Why would you assume that the 12 year old has learnt this behaviour from his parents? Why has a 12 year old got a Twitter account? Is it plausible that this type of language has been witnessed by this kid there? Does casual racism and in/out group mentality not manifest itself in school playgrounds?

The way we are going there will be more racists in the future not fewer, since it is being accepted by some that pushing for a ‘colour-blind’ society perpetuates systemic racism, and we should be looking at the colour of someone’s skin more than ever.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

Nice story, thanks for sharing. I think this highlights what can be achieved if you’re willing to listen to someone and willing to allow them to transcend their group identity in your mind.
  • Options
    Oh dear Mike.

I know you're an intelligent fella, and someone who is actually good to debate with rather than the likes of Vespa etc but even you can't believe that gammon is a racist term surely?

I'm surprised you're so fixated on it, but I will refrain from ordering the gammon at the next SPT as I wouldn't want to offend (plus I don't want the risk of a 50 year old anti-immigrant man on my plate)

Where does your average 12 year old learn most of their behaviour? Other factors like school will of course play a part but if a 12 year old kid is spending their day on the school playground and their evening sending footballers racist tweets then naturally the family would come under scrutiny as this is far from normal behaviour even considering the possible overriding circumstances.
    I certainly wouldn't allow a 12 yr old on Twitter but maybe I'm old and boring (and probs difficult to stop these days)

I'm really hoping there will be less racists and racism in the future. With increased education and better understanding and awareness of the world, you'd really hope the next generations are going to contain a lot more balanced individuals. Great to see so many youngsters out on the BLM marches, for example. I think the world is in much better hands with the generation behind me than the generation in front of me, broadly speaking.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

Cracking video that, Phantom.
  • Options
    Whether the term is, or isn’t racist is not really my point. Owen Jones says it isn’t, others say it is, more on that here https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/05/is-gammon-racist/560507/

I think you can agree that it’s a pejorative term though, and used to describe a group of people?

I’m not offended in the slightest if you want to eat pork, and I’m not the kind of person who goes flicking through dictionaries scouring the etymology of words and phrases hoping to find something from history that now builds a case for censoring the language.

My point was just that if you want to try and engage with someone’s point of view it’s probably better to avoid calling them names like you would have done aged 12 in a playground.

‘Where does your average 12 year old learn most of their behaviour?’ That’s a good question, I’m almost certain it’s not that it’s been taught to them by parents, you could argue it’s a lack of being taught anything at all. Though clearly through genetics they are likely to have behaviours that reflect those of their parents. I’ll do some more reading on this and let you know what I find.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited July 2020

Oh dear Mike.

I know you're an intelligent fella, and someone who is actually good to debate with rather than the likes of Vespa etc but even you can't believe that gammon is a racist term surely?

I'm surprised you're so fixated on it, but I will refrain from ordering the gammon at the next SPT as I wouldn't want to offend (plus I don't want the risk of a 50 year old anti-immigrant man on my plate)

Where does your average 12 year old learn most of their behaviour? Other factors like school will of course play a part but if a 12 year old kid is spending their day on the school playground and their evening sending footballers racist tweets then naturally the family would come under scrutiny as this is far from normal behaviour even considering the possible overriding circumstances.
    I certainly wouldn't allow a 12 yr old on Twitter but maybe I'm old and boring (and probs difficult to stop these days)

I'm really hoping there will be less racists and racism in the future. With increased education and better understanding and awareness of the world, you'd really hope the next generations are going to contain a lot more balanced individuals. Great to see so many youngsters out on the BLM marches, for example. I think the world is in much better hands with the generation behind me than the generation in front of me, broadly speaking.

"Look at organisations like the EDL, or the gammon that turn up to 'protect the statues'. It's almost exclusively white males around the 40/50 age mark".

hhyftrftdr Member Posts: 7,262
    July 18
    This has had the gammon up in arms/ham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-53446494

This generation?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8538335/Over-3-000-lockdown-revellers-flock-illegal-rave-near-Bath.html
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    its nice with chips and egg i know that
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    stokefc said:

its nice with chips and egg i know that

Pineapple?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,651
    VespaPX said:

stokefc said: