You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Ok so trespassing is still correct, it’s private land? They have the right to defend their property but whether their property was under attack was unclear.

I don’t think whether other people complain is relevant.

Their names and addresses are now published on social media along with the outrage. Seems like a mob to me.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,980
    HAYSIE said:

bbMike said:

HAYSIE said:

St Louis prosecutor says she might overrule police and CHARGE lawyer couple who brandished firearms at protesters outside their mansion after they said they 'feared for their lives'
    Mark McCloskey, 63, and his wife Patricia McCloskey, 61, were seen touting an AR-15 rifle and a handgun as protesters marched by their home Sunday
    The city’s lead prosecutor has said they are now under investigation
    St. Louis prosecutor Kimberly Gardner said Monday she was 'alarmed' that 'peaceful protesters were met by guns'
    It comes despite police saying there would be no charges brought against them
    An attorney for the couple insists they acted lawfully on their property
    He claimed they are supporters of the Black Lives Matter movement
    The lawyers were the only ones to file a police report after the confrontation

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8476067/St-Louis-lawyers-brandished-AR-15-handgun-protesters-investigation.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdN2Xv41gg

This is an interesting one. They didn’t march by their property, they marched on their property breaching a security gate with a sign that said No Trespassing.

I thought the whole point of being able to own guns in America was so that you could defend yourself and your property?

Reading a twitter thread on this story it seems a number of complaints are that the fence keeps people out (segregation from black people) and that who needs a house this big? So another case of undeserved wealth that must be taken and redistributed?

So a mob can turn up to your property demanding it’s a symbol of white privilege, and then play the victim when they have a gun pointed at them and are asked to observe the law and leave the grounds.

Seems a stable protest.
    The protesters broke down the gate into the development in which they live, rather than the gate into their property.
    Nobody else complained.
    Their actions can surely only be seen as provocative.
    The protesters walked past their property peacefully, there was no trespassing.
    There was a bit of shouting, but this probably had much to do with them being in their garden flouting weapons.
    Had they remained in the house the protest would probably been quieter, and more peaceful.
    The protesters didn't appear to trespass onto anyones property.
    How on earth could any intelligent person claim that the intention of the protesters was to murder them, kill their pets, and burn their house down.
    This is the reason they were armed.
    There are no reports of any murders of armed or unarmed people, no murdered pets, or any houses being set on fire.
    However the couple did make the news, which might have been the purpose of their actions.
    Lawyer or not the man is an idiot.
    If he could be prosecuted for being a fool he would definitely be found guilty.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Ok so trespassing is still correct, it’s private land? They have the right to defend their property but whether their property was under attack was unclear.

Their names and addresses are now published on social media along with the outrage. Seems like a mob to me.

May be some good publicity for his business?

Who are Mark and Patricia McCloskey, the couple who pointed ...
    www.thesun.co.uk/news/11986097/mark-patricia...
    1 day ago · Mark and Patricia McCloskey are a white couple who live in an affluent neighborhood of St Louis. The two are personal injury lawyers. Mark McCloskey, 63, told a TV station that he and his wife were...
    Mark Mccloskey News

White couple who pointed gun at protesters say they support Black Lives Matter but felt threatened...
    The Independent via Yahoo News UK· 1 day ago
    A white couple who pointed guns at protesters in St Louis have said they were threatened as crowds...

Couple draw guns at crowd heading to St. Louis mayor's home
    Associated Press via Yahoo News· 2 days ago
    Video posted online showed Mark McCloskey, 63, and his 61-year-old wife, Patricia, standing outside...

A picture and its story: U.S. couple waves guns at anti-racism protesters
    Reuters via Yahoo News UK· 17 hours ago
    Bryant, 45, recalled that on Sunday evening several hundred white and Black protesters walked...

Lawyer defends pulling rifle on protesters after video of him ...

www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/lawyer-defends...
    1 day ago · Mark McCloskey was seen brandishing the weapon on the steps of his property in St Louis, Missouri, yesterday. He now claims demonstrators smashed down the gate to his estate and threatened him and...

White couple who pointed guns at St. Louis protesters claims ...
    www.cbsnews.com/news/white-couple-who-pointed...
    30/06/2020 · Mark McCloskey told CBS St. Louis affiliate KMOV-TV that he and wife, who are both lawyers, were facing an "angry mob" on their private street and feared for their lives. Get Breaking News...

Mark McCloskey Hits Cable Shows to Explain Waving Gun at BLM ...

www.towleroad.com/2020/07/mark-mccloskey
    01/07/2020 · Mark McCloskey, the wealthy attorney from St. Louis’s Central West End gated community who went viral on Monday after he and his wife emerged from their home and waved guns, including an AR-15...

Mark McCloskey & Patricia McCloskey: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com
    heavy.com/news/2020/06/mark-patricia-mccloskey...
    2 days ago · Mark McCloskey graduated magna **** laude from Southern Methodist University in Dallas in 1982, where he studied sociology, criminal justice and psychology before attending the Southern Methodist...

St. Louis Homeowner Mark McCloskey: 'I Saw It All Going Up in ..
    www.breitbart.com/clips/2020/06/30/st-louis...
    7 hours ago · Tuesday on Fox News Channel’s “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” St. Louis homeowner Mark McCloskey made his first national TV appearance since he and his wife were captured on video appearing ready to defend their home with firearms against a mob protest in their front yard.

Did Mark McCloskey Donate to Democrats?
    www.snopes.com/fact-check/mark-mccloskey-donate...
    1 day ago · The Mark McCloskey in the viral video, however, has also made several political donations. According to the FEC, the McCloskey in the viral video made multiple donations to the Republican National...

Mark McCloskey, St. Louis Home Defender: What Happened
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPIZmVogFqU
    Mark McCloskey, the St. Louis home owner who defended his home with his wife from rioters that broke into their neighborhood, tells his side of the story.
    Video Duration: 10 min
    Views: 12.1K
    Author: Mrgunsngear B Channel

St. Louis couple point firearms at protesters outside home ...

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8467075/St-Louis...
    2 days ago · Husband and wife, Mark and Patricia McCloskey, could be seen aiming the guns at demonstrators who walked by their palatial property in the wealthy Forest Park area at around 6pm on Sunday. At one...

Gun-Swinging Lawyers Confront Protesters in Central West End ...
    www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/06/28/gun...
    28/06/2020 · Patricia and Mark McCloskey in front of their home in the Central West End. At one point, a barefoot Patricia, whose law firm bio says she is a member of the Missouri Bar Association ethical review...

241,000 results

YahooHelpSuggestionsPrivacy(Updated)Terms(Updated)AdvertiseAbout adsPowered by Bing™
  • Options
  • Options
    It’s not unreasonable to fear for your life and property when a crowd enters private land and similar protests have witnessed graffiti, looting, burning. Whether waving a gun around is the best way to placate is debatable.

Not sure why they were protesting in this particular place, perhaps that also adds some context.

It’s all very strange the constant filming from the mob, or of any perceived racist encounters, just ready to upload and light the touch paper. Reminds me of the Black Mirror episode of the convict in captivity.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,155
    They broke down a gate and entered a gated community. Therefore trespass, therefore illegal, therefore "Castle Law" applies.

Sorry but it doesnt matter about the whys and wherefores, the protesters were in a place they had no legal right to be.

Its like a burglar falling through a roof then suing the property owner. YOU SHOULDNT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
  • Options
    This is the kind of nonsense society now has to navigate.

Ever consider when a commentator mentions that Kyle Walker is quick, he's probably just a racist?

More thinly-veiled micro-aggressions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53239044
  • Options
    bbMike said:

It’s not unreasonable to fear for your life and property when a crowd enters private land and similar protests have witnessed graffiti, looting, burning. Whether waving a gun around is the best way to placate is debatable.

Not sure why they were protesting in this particular place, perhaps that also adds some context.

It’s all very strange the constant filming from the mob, or of any perceived racist encounters, just ready to upload and light the touch paper. Reminds me of the Black Mirror episode of the convict in captivity.

It was a poor response.

The protesters seemed fairly calm.

Not much evidence of murdering homeowners, their pets, or any arson.
  • Options

They broke down a gate and entered a gated community. Therefore trespass, therefore illegal, therefore "Castle Law" applies.

Sorry but it doesnt matter about the whys and wherefores, the protesters were in a place they had no legal right to be.

Its like a burglar falling through a roof then suing the property owner. YOU SHOULDNT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Trespass is illegal in the US, but should be dealt with by phoning the police.

Your burglar is example is flawed as they did not venture onto his property, and certainly didn't break into his house.

Nobody got sued or arrested, though they are considering charging him and his wife.

The USA would probably be a much happier, and safer place to live, if less people thought that an automatic weapon was likely to solve any problem, and more people allowed the police to deal with stuff like this.
  • Options
    Rather than driving the police out of town and handing out AR-15s from the boot of your car you mean?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Your burglar is example is flawed as they did not venture onto his property, and certainly didn't break into his house.

Nobody got sued or arrested, though they are considering charging him and his wife.

The USA would probably be a much happier, and safer place to live, if less people thought that an automatic weapon was likely to solve any problem, and more people allowed the police to deal with stuff like this.
    Haysie quite clearly you dont understand American Law.

If you are trespassing you can legally be shot by the owner / tenant.

The protesters DONT have to be on a specific property. By forcing entry into a gated community they are trespassing and ANY resident who can claim they feared for their lives (and that is a subjective thing that you cant quantify) can use lethal force. against any and all such trespassers.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. Protesters should not have been there. End of argument.

I checked this with my cousin who is a resident of Colorado Springs, an American citizen and a firearms owner.

She agrees with me that whilst a possible over reaction and probably inflamatory the couple did nothing illegal.

I asked her what she and her husband (ex USAF master sargeant) would have done, she laughed and said the bears which frequently come through their property (15 acres) usually ensure a lack of trespassers.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Rather than driving the police out of town and handing out AR-15s from the boot of your car you mean?

Definitely.
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Haysie quite clearly you dont understand American Law.

If you are trespassing you can legally be shot by the owner / tenant.

The protesters DONT have to be on a specific property. By forcing entry into a gated community they are trespassing and ANY resident who can claim they feared for their lives (and that is a subjective thing that you cant quantify) can use lethal force. against any and all such trespassers.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible. Protesters should not have been there. End of argument.

I checked this with my cousin who is a resident of Colorado Springs, an American citizen and a firearms owner.

She agrees with me that whilst a possible over reaction and probably inflamatory the couple did nothing illegal.

I asked her what she and her husband (ex USAF master sargeant) would have done, she laughed and said the bears which frequently come through their property (15 acres) usually ensure a lack of trespassers.
    I am not suggesting that he did anything illegal;

It was provocative.

There didn't seem to be a threat.

How could he possibly justify that he thought he, his wife, and his pets were about to be murdered, and his house burnt down.

You don't seem to have grasped the law.

You have left out the bit about reasonable force, and omitted the fact that nobody entered his property, and that none of the peaceful protesters appeared to be armed.

I have been a police officer for 15 years.... I have been to 3 self defense sh@@tings during a home invasion, I don't know what states it is okay in, or what you are referencing, however... each person has the right to defend him or her self... however, if you see a person simply stealing your TV and you Sh@@t him in the back on the way out the door... i would say you may be on your way to prison.... however, in the same breath, if you and our family are at home and you have someone in your house with a weapon or acting in a aggressive manor and you feel your life or that of another family member is in grave danger and then you shoot and sh@@t kill someone, you may still be arrested and can be charged, its weather or not you acted in self-defense... that will be and should be determined during the investigation..

There are laws against 'excessive use of force'. The general principle is that you can't use deadly force against someone to protect property, only to prevent serious bodily injury or death. This means (generally) that you can't shoot a burglar unless he threatens your life.
  • Options
    bbMike said:

I don't think you can tar all protests with the same brush.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    bbMike said:

They were trespassing, but not on his land.
    The video seems fairly clear, and doesn't show anyone trespassing on his property.

I was making the point that nobody else was murdered, had their pets killed, or houses burnt down.
    Had there been instances of the above, or even residents being threatened, or property damage, then perhaps his comments might have been justified.
    In fact there were no reports of anyone even being threatened, or any damage caused

He has appeared in the media trying to justify his actions, but has been heavily criticised.

The reason the protesters were there is because the were on their way to the home of The Mayor.
    She met them.
    They gave her a number of letters detailing what the protest was about.
    She read the letters aloud, including the names and addresses of the writers.
    So it was the protesters that had their names and addresses published.
    The Mayor was responsible for this.

These were peaceful protesters, merely walking past his house on their way to see The Mayor.
  • Options
    So if people break down a gate and walk through your land to see a neighbour of yours they arent trespassing???.

The road they were on was NOT a public highway FFS it was a private gated community with avenues, roads and driveways. It makes no difference if they are on his actual property, the residents of that community are the only ones with any legal right of access and egress. Anybody without a specific invite is a trespasser.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, one wonders why you can't.

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
  • Options

So if people break down a gate and walk through your land to see a neighbour of yours they arent trespassing???.

The road they were on was NOT a public highway FFS it was a private gated community with avenues, roads and driveways. It makes no difference if they are on his actual property, the residents of that community are the only ones with any legal right of access and egress. Anybody without a specific invite is a trespasser.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, one wonders why you can't.

The only thing I would dispute out of that is that even though they were trespassing on sombodys land, it wasn't his.
  • Options