You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,664
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,235
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

So if people break down a gate and walk through your land to see a neighbour of yours they arent trespassing???.

The road they were on was NOT a public highway FFS it was a private gated community with avenues, roads and driveways. It makes no difference if they are on his actual property, the residents of that community are the only ones with any legal right of access and egress. Anybody without a specific invite is a trespasser.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, one wonders why you can't.

2-0 to TheEdge949 :)

I love Haysie however this time can't see a decent viewpoint from his side.

Normally I can, not here.

Cammy
    Did you just think that I just idiotically made up the bit about the couple immediately expecting to be murdered, their pets killed and their house burnt down, rather than merely quoting what the husband actually said?

Don't you sympathise with their neighbour who was quietly making his way home, minding his own business, only to be confronted by a complete nut, armed with a gun, screaming at him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdN2Xv41gg
    Thank you for posting the video Haysie.

Have you actually watched it?

We should put ourselves in this couple shoes.

We should, and the best people to do that are his neighbours.
    None of whom reported any threats, damage to their properties, arson attempts, pets being killed, or any criminal offences, and stayed in their homes while the protesters walked past.

Would you be happy to have protesters with megaphones on your front lawn and people debating with you about a subject you maybe aren't interested in?

I am not sure you watched the video, as not one protester encroached onto their front lawn. Nobody has claimed that anyone did, this is made clear in all the articles I have read, including the one above.
    You keep referring to megaphones as though they are some sort of chemical weapon.
    I didn't see any megaphones, although I wasn't looking for them, as I didn't feel a megaphone was important, but couldn't swear that nobody had one.
    Why do megaphones matter anyway?
    Is it ok to shoot protesters with megaphones?
    He was brandishing an automatic rifle, his wife was armed, and the odd protester may have had a megaphone.
    Oh that's ok then, whats all the fuss about?

I type this without knowledge on any back stories to this. Assuming the protesters were
    passing by on the way to the Mayor's office/building.

This was the case. The end of the video shows the protesters congregated outside the Mayors house.
    They managed to do this without murdering anyone, killing any pets, or burning any houses down.

Was this couple deserving of this and had protesters created a bit of a ruckus for a reason?

Deserving of what exactly?
    The ruckus was caused by them?
    What was the experience of his neighbours?
    They support the protesters.

Cammy
    His wife was so desperate for a confrontation she pursued the protesters, after they had passed their property.
    So how terrified was she?

I am not sure that you have watched the video, or read the last article I posted.
    This gave me a clear idea of the type of people they are.
    Only a nut job could seriously say he was in fear of being murdered, his pets being killed, and his house burned down, when the video is there for all to see.
    Incidentally he didn't even mention megaphones.

If you asked the authorities for advice of how to deal with a protest on your estate.
    I am certain that this advice would not be to arm yourselves, position yourselves on your front lawn, point the weapons at the protesters, shout and gesticulate at them, cause a confrontation, and chase after them after they have gone.
    Only an idiot would give this sort of advice, yet that is clearly what they did.

Nobody else on the estate had any cause for complaint.

Here is an extract from the above article which you could have read to avoid appearing so ill informed.

When confronted at gunpoint, the marchers in Portland Place noted that they were on the street or the sidewalk, not the McCloskeys’ private property.

I don't know if I am wasting my time but I am going to post one more article that you may choose to read.
    I think every one of these articles differ radically from your views.
  • Options
    Gun-Swinging Lawyers Confront Protesters in Central West End

As hundreds of protesters marched toward Mayor Lyda Krewson's house this evening they were met by a surprising sight — a gun-swinging couple on the lawn of their Central West End mansion.

The couple, personal injury attorneys Mark and Patricia McCloskey, shouted at marchers who seemed to be just passing through the gated community.

A video recorded by freelance photographer Theo Welling for the Riverfront Times shows Mark, dressed in a pastel pink polo shirt and khakis, brandishing a rifle while Patricia, wearing black-and-white-striped top with capri pants, casually holds a small handgun.

The protesters were walking to Krewson's house for a demonstration, part of the backlash the mayor is facing for broadcasting on Facebook Live the names and addresses of advocates for defunding the police department.

Multiple people marching tonight filmed the scene in front of the McCloskeys, and various angles show the couple sweeping their weapons in the direction of protesters who were standing on the sidewalk or walking past.

At one point, a barefoot Patricia, whose law firm bio says she is a member of the Missouri Bar Association ethical review panel, crosses the lawn and stumbles briefly while she has her gun aimed at protesters. It's not clear if the guns were loaded.

The McCloskeys are apparently very proud of their house, welcoming St. Louis Magazine in 2018 for a tour of the Renaissance-style palazzo that was originally built by a Busch heiress and her husband, but it's unclear what prompted them to grab their guns and pop out front, shoeless but armed, to confront nonviolent protesters.

We called the after-hours number for the couple's law firm, and a woman answering the phone said the McCloskeys couldn't be reached until morning.

After the brief, but intense encounter, marchers continued down the street. Some in the crowd shouted, "Let's go! Let's go!" at stragglers.

The procession continued to Krewson's house, where hundreds of people filled the street, extending into her yard and front porch. Activists have called for her resignation for doxxing her constituents on Friday. After initially declining to say she was sorry, the mayor issued an apology through social media and news outlets on Friday night.

https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2020/06/28/gun-swinging-lawyers-confront-protesters-in-central-west-end
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

So if people break down a gate and walk through your land to see a neighbour of yours they arent trespassing???.

The road they were on was NOT a public highway FFS it was a private gated community with avenues, roads and driveways. It makes no difference if they are on his actual property, the residents of that community are the only ones with any legal right of access and egress. Anybody without a specific invite is a trespasser.

Cammy
    You can do it, its a very short article.

Try the video once more it one minute eight seconds.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:
    I don't really bother with Twitter, or Facebook.
    Maybe I should to create more opportunities for goingonandonandonandon.

We have a long way to go to catch up with the Americans on racism.

I am currently reading a book which touches upon lynchings in the USA.

There were many thousands and over something like a 60 year period, not one culprit was brought to justice.

During this period they coined the phrase "by person, or persons unknown".

This was despite that in many cases the perpetrators were well known.

Not all cases were categorised as lynchings, some were put down to accidents.

Occasionally a black person might accidentally fall off a bridge with a noose around his neck, or shoot himself 12 times.

Some of it was horrific.

Mary Turner

Publicly opposed and threatened legal action against white people who had murdered her husband, unfairly accused (according to her) of killing an abusive landowner.

"Hung her upside down from a tree, doused her in gasoline and motor oil and set her on fire. Turner was still alive when a member of the mob split her abdomen open with a knife and her unborn child fell on the ground. The baby was stomped and crushed as it fell to the ground. Turner's body was riddled with hundreds of bullets."

From 1882-1968, 4,743 lynchings occurred in the United States. Of these people that were lynched 3,446 were black. The blacks lynched accounted for 72.7% of the people lynched. These numbers seem large, but it is known that not all of the lynchings were ever recorded. Out of the 4,743 people lynched only 1,297 white people were lynched. That is only 27.3%. Many of the whites lynched were lynched for helping the black or being anti lynching and even for domestic crimes.

Most of the lynchings that took place happened in the South. A big reason for this was the end of the Civil War. Once black were given their freedom, many people felt that the freed blacks were getting away with too much freedom and felt they needed to be controlled. Mississippi had the highest lynchings from 1882-1968 with 581. Georgia was second with 531, and Texas was third with 493. 79% of lynching happened in the South.

Of the lynching that did not take place in the South, mainly in the West, were normally lynchings of whites, not blacks. Most of the lynching in the West came from the lynching of either murders or cattle thief’s. There really was no political link to the lynching of blacks in the South, and whites in the West.

https://www.naacp.org/history-of-lynchings/
  • Options
    edited July 2020
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,664

@HAYSIE

I felt physically sick reading that lynching post.

Humans are inhuman.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

Humans are inhuman.

We seem to prove that time and time again.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited July 2020
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

I have watched it three times now :)

Credit to the 1st 3 guys in the video and particularly the chap at the front. He seemed to know it was time to move on while the noisy ones continued to crack on. I would hope he has a role in this protest. That's the kind you need in there.

This is not a peaceful protest, this is a noisy emotion driven protest which is loud and is disrupting a likely quiet neighbourhood.

Peaceful is peace and quiet. I can't get to where you are at in thinking this is peaceful.

Cammy
  • Options
    To give the other side to the video.

The Lawyer says "It was like the storming of the Bastille" This is a very slight exaggeration on this protest.

:)
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

Humans are inhuman.

More than you may imagine, we're mammals (primates).
    "The primates—the order that includes us, apes, monkeys, and lemurs—seem to be especially violent."
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/09/humans-are-unusually-violent-mammals-but-averagely-violent-primates/501935/
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Credit to the 1st 3 guys in the video and particularly the chap at the front. He seemed to know it was time to move on while the noisy ones continued to crack on. I would hope he has a role in this protest. That's the kind you need in there.

This is not a peaceful protest, this is a noisy emotion driven protest which is loud and is disrupting a likely quiet neighbourhood.

Peaceful is peace and quiet. I can't get to where you are at in thinking this is peaceful.

Cammy
    I think you are completely missing the point that what disturbed the peace was he and his wife confronting the protesters whilst armed, in a very provocative manner.
    The couple seemed desperate for a confrontation, as his wife showed by chasing after them, after the protesters had gone past their property.

Multiple people marching tonight filmed the scene in front of the McCloskeys, and various angles show the couple sweeping their weapons in the direction of protesters who were standing on the sidewalk or walking past.
    At one point, a barefoot Patricia, whose law firm bio says she is a member of the Missouri Bar Association ethical review panel, crosses the lawn and stumbles briefly while she has her gun aimed at protesters. It's not clear if the guns were loaded.

A letter released Wednesday by more than three dozen neighbors of the couple condemned "the behavior of anyone who uses threats of violence, especially through the brandishing of firearms, to disrupt peaceful protest, whether it be in this neighborhood or anywhere in the United States."
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

To give the other side to the video.

The Lawyer says "It was like the storming of the Bastille" This is a very slight exaggeration on this protest.

:)

What about the threat of murder, killing pets, and burning his house down?
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Cammy
    Where did you see all the megaphones?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Cammy
    Heard them more than saw them. Sure I saw one at least.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

HAYSIE said:

Cammykaze said:

Cammy

Cammy
    Heard them more than saw them. Sure I saw one at least.
    Where did you see it?

How can you hear a megaphone?
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    edited July 2020
    If you can’t hear a megaphone it’d be pretty pointless having one
  • Options
    bbMike said:

If you can’t hear a megaphone it’d be pretty pointless having one

I don't think there were any.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    That case is really minor in the scheme of things, we can just agree that they’re boneheads just to move on.

What’s your opinion on language purging?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8488879/Estate-agents-banned-saying-master-bedroom-allusions-sexism-slavery.html