You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,964
    Brexit 'cannot possibly be positive' for UK, JP Morgan chief says

JP Morgan boss Jamie Dimon has warned that he could shift all bankers serving European Union clients out of London as regulators on the Continent seek to steal the City's business.

In his annual letter to shareholders, the US bank chief said that Brexit "cannot possibly" boost the UK economy and warned of mass job moves as Brussels seeks to exclude London from its markets.

Mr Dimon - a vocal backer of Remain before the referendum - suggested that the UK would in future be forced to follow the EU's agenda.

He said: "Brexit was accomplished, but many issues still need to be negotiated. And in those negotiations, Europe has had, and will continue to have, the upper hand.

"In the short run (ie the next few years), this cannot possibly be a positive for the UK's GDP – the effect after that will be completely based upon whether the UK has a comprehensive and well-executed strategic plan that is acceptable to Europe."

Mr Dimon has long been critical of Brexit, which led to the loss of so-called passporting rights that allowed London-based bankers to deal freely with firms on the Continent.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-cannot-possibly-be-positive-for-uk-jp-morgan-chief-says/ar-BB1foGpv?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Brexiteer Demands Compensation for Brexit Business Losses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYwuV-BOnO8
  • Options
    Brexiteers Wanting Others to Clear Up Their Mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj8uBIHtX5s
  • Options
    EU ambassador rages at Brexiteers who attack Boris's deal: 'You have NO alternative'

However, Mr Vale de Almeida has rejected Unionist demands that the Protocol be scrapped, accusing Brexiteers of having no alternatives to the measure.

"The protocol is the solution for the problems created by Brexit in Northern Ireland and that's where I believe we should focus," he told The Guardian.

He said the EU was "fully committed in a constructive way to find solutions for those problems" but a fix must found "within the limits of the protocol that we have agreed not long ago".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/eu-ambassador-rages-at-brexiteers-who-attack-boris-s-deal-you-have-no-alternative/ar-BB1frrf7?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Dragons' Den: Deborah Meaden fumed 'not one thing I like about Brexit' before U-turn

She tweeted: "Our behaviour now lies at our feet... we can't blame the EU for everything now."

Last month, Meaden claimed her business acumen allowed her to see the damage Brexit had caused to the economy.

Meaden argued that the Government had not been honest about the causes of the UK's debt and claimed Brexit was to blame more than coronavirus.

She tweeted: "The pandemic has been blamed for all economic downturn.

"In reality, Brexit is playing a considerable part and to date is hardly mentioned at all...
    "I'm in business, I see the effects of Covid. I also see the effects directly related to Brexit."

When asked if she had "anything good to say about" Brexit, Meaden appeared to struggle.

She replied: "I can genuinely not name one thing about Brexit that I like."

When pushed for "even a tiny one" by The Bristol Tab, she argued that the agricultural industry may benefit.

Meaden said: "I can actually say that there are some farming policies that I think could be better outside the EU."

However, she toned down her praise by arguing that we should still be "within the EU" to ensure we can "influence those policies".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/dragons-den-deborah-meaden-fury-over-brexit-before-better-outside-eu-claim/ar-BB1fqX9g?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
  • Options
    The Sunday Mirror reports that special forces soldiers have been deployed to Northern Ireland to help deal with riots that have spread across the country.

The paper says a Special Reconnaissance Regiment team will help MI5 identify the ringleaders behind the violence - amid fears it could spark the return of deadly paramilitary attacks.

The Observer says the government is resisting growing calls for a special summit to be held in Dublin, aimed at calming tensions.

Senior sources tell the paper that suggestions by the Irish government have been met with "no enthusiasm" on the British side.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-56706385
  • Options
    HANSON said:

More subcontractors ... can you expand on the relevance between going from the article about USA and AZ to India .

I no I'm thick as .. but at least Phil makes sense ..

actually do not worry about it, i will just take some more paracetamol, read the posts and stay out of it ..
    GL on the tables and stay safe everyone ..

UK-made AstraZeneca vaccines ‘shipped to Australia’

More than 700,000 doses of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine have been sent from the UK to Australia, according to reports.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock did not deny the reports in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age about the shipment, despite the UK facing a squeeze on vaccine supplies.

The move comes with the UK, Australia and the European Union embroiled in rows over the export of vaccines.

The Australian news outlets reported that 717,000 UK-made doses have been flown in to help Scott Morrison’s government’s vaccination programme.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-made-astrazeneca-vaccines-shipped-085311109.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

1. Really? You get to decide what time period qualified as an allowable benefit? You do know that you have created thousands of posts bout the evils of Brexit in that timeframe, don't you?

I do.
    That was the old, discontinued, not updated thread.
    This is the new post Brexit thread.
    Surely a Brexit benefit can only be something that has improved after we have left, rather than something that occurred while we were still members.

3. On threads created by you, you believe that anything any politician says, or anything that anyone who disagrees with you are fair game, but anything you say is off limits. Really? It got demoted to page 8 because you scared everyone else off. My best friend was an avid Remainer, and will always be anti-Boris. As he said to me last week:-
    "The bit that really p1sses me off, is that the whole vaccine saga shows that we were lied to just as much by Remainers as Leavers."

Again untrue.
    In fact I rarely believe UK politicians.
    It got demoted to page 8 because I stopped posting on it.
    We had left the EU, and I thought it time for a new thread.
    Posting an article does not somehow certify the veracity of it, it merely creates an opportunity to debate the contents.
    I dont follow your friends argument.

4. This is the difference between theory and practice in the real world. In theory, we could have. But that conveniently ignores these facts:-
    (1) But for Brexit, we would still be in the EU

Obviously.

(2) We would just have had a referendum confirming our commitment to the EU

?

(3) In a club of 28 Members, no-one agreed to go it alone except for the 1 that was leaving the club

True.

(4) The EMA would still have been based in the UK-how easy would it be to say that we don't want to trust a UK-based agency?
    (5) The MHRA would in many respects still have been under the EMA-how easy would it have been to plan a solo mission? Particularly, a quicker 1 than the UK-based EU one?
    (6) The EU was already tired of us only following the EU when it suited us-just how much reputational damage would we have suffered, immediately after a referendum saying we should remain tied to Europe?

You see, these are facts. Providing context as to why your fact is true, but not realistic.

These are not facts, it seems you are trying to rewrite history.

In 2021, you are considerably less likely to die of Covid in the UK, as opposed to the EU. So (for example) Angela Merkel has not yet been allowed to have a vaccine.
    Most of Europe is entering a 3rd lockdown.
    We have a Regulator that understands that "an abundance of caution" costs lives.
    And a country that has acted decisively on vaccines. While the EU did not.

We used to have the highest death rate in Europe, although I havent checked it for a bit.

But you hide from this. I'm sure you genuinely believe that these are not good results from Brexit. Just like I am sure that you are in an ever-dwindling minority. Just like you hide from answering questions. Because you don't like the answers.

I am happy to answer questions that are pertinent.
    Just not keen on pointless quizes.'
    I am not hiding from anything.

Which is a shame. Because I genuinely like you. And I'm always interested in what you have to say. Even when I profoundly disagree with you.

Well it looks like that is likely to continue.
    "I am happy to answer questions that are pertinent.
    "

Bluff. Raise.

Even Boris would be ashamed of that whopper :)

"We used to have the highest death rate in Europe, although I haven't checked it since I knew fine well that that is no longer true..

Fixed your post.
    I should have said we still have one of the highest death rates in Europe, well ahead of France, and Germany, and I find you comment about Boris and whoppers a bit harsh.

Covid map: Coronavirus cases, deaths, vaccinations by country
    By The Visual and Data Journalism Team
    BBC News

Published17 hours ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105
    Please be aware that I will be checking an emojis used on this thread against the old fa rt test.
    You seem ok so far.
    You have been warned.

While world leaders looked dignified paying tribute to Prince Philip, Boris Johnson was a shabby embarrassment

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/while-world-leaders-looked-dignified-145042408.html
  • Options
    DOMINIC LAWSON: Belfast riots, Tory cynicism and Boris Johnson's border betrayal

DOMINIC LAWSON: No, it is not the return of The Troubles, nor anything like it. But still, it brings back dreadful memories to see that the rioting plaguing Northern Ireland has now spread to the 'Peace Wall'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9460249/DOMINIC-LAWSON-Belfast-riots-Tory-cynicism-Boris-Johnsons-border-betrayal.html
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

1. Really? You get to decide what time period qualified as an allowable benefit? You do know that you have created thousands of posts bout the evils of Brexit in that timeframe, don't you?

I do.
    Surely a Brexit benefit can only be something that has improved after we have left, rather than something that occurred while we were still members.

3. On threads created by you, you believe that anything any politician says, or anything that anyone who disagrees with you are fair game, but anything you say is off limits. Really? It got demoted to page 8 because you scared everyone else off. My best friend was an avid Remainer, and will always be anti-Boris. As he said to me last week:-
    "The bit that really p1sses me off, is that the whole vaccine saga shows that we were lied to just as much by Remainers as Leavers."

Again untrue.
    Posting an article does not somehow certify the veracity of it, it merely creates an opportunity to debate the contents.

4. This is the difference between theory and practice in the real world. In theory, we could have. But that conveniently ignores these facts:-

Obviously.

?

(3) In a club of 28 Members, no-one agreed to go it alone except for the 1 that was leaving the club

True.

(4) The EMA would still have been based in the UK-how easy would it be to say that we don't want to trust a UK-based agency?
    (5) The MHRA would in many respects still have been under the EMA-how easy would it have been to plan a solo mission? Particularly, a quicker 1 than the UK-based EU one?
    (6) The EU was already tired of us only following the EU when it suited us-just how much reputational damage would we have suffered, immediately after a referendum saying we should remain tied to Europe?

You see, these are facts. Providing context as to why your fact is true, but not realistic.

In 2021, you are considerably less likely to die of Covid in the UK, as opposed to the EU. So (for example) Angela Merkel has not yet been allowed to have a vaccine.
    We have a Regulator that understands that "an abundance of caution" costs lives.

We used to have the highest death rate in Europe, although I havent checked it for a bit.

But you hide from this. I'm sure you genuinely believe that these are not good results from Brexit. Just like I am sure that you are in an ever-dwindling minority. Just like you hide from answering questions. Because you don't like the answers.

Which is a shame. Because I genuinely like you. And I'm always interested in what you have to say. Even when I profoundly disagree with you.

"

Bluff. Raise.

"We used to have the highest death rate in Europe, although I haven't checked it since I knew fine well that that is no longer true..

Fixed your post.
    I should have said we still have one of the highest death rates in Europe, well ahead of France, and Germany, and I find you comment about Boris and whoppers a bit harsh.

BBC News

Published17 hours ago

You are shameless at only using facts that suit you. You claim you are looking at now, not the past. Let us look at the rate NOW.

"SHOT AHEAD UK’s Covid infection rate plunges lower than 25 of 27 EU nations as cases fall 28% in a week after vaccine rollout

Joe Duggan

1 Apr 2021, 7:19Updated: 1 Apr 2021, 10:04

THE UK'S Covid infection rate is lower than 25 of 27 EU countries after the success of Britain's vaccine rollout.

The daily case numbers in the UK have slumped by 28 per cent in a week, official figures show.

Only Denmark and Portugal have lower infection rates among EU nations that the UK, the seven-day average of cases per million people shows
    The success of the UK's vaccine rollout has seen deaths and infections slump
    The success of the UK's vaccine rollout has seen deaths and infections slumpCredit: AFP

The UK is now the best-placed major European nation as a third-wave wreaks havoc on the continent.

France has seen cases triple since early February to nearly 60,000 cases a day, with doctors in overwhelmed hospitals forced to choose which Covid patients get a ventilator.

Emmanuel Macron last night declared a four-week national lockdown and warned France is likely to "lose control" amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

The French President has blamed the UK Kent variant for the explosion in cases, with the weekly infection rate around eight times higher than in the UK.
    FRANCE LOCKDOWN

In a televised nationwide address , President Macron said the "epidemic is accelerating" and warned France is likely to "lose control" as infections spiral.

Germany's infection rate is nearly three times higher than the UK's, with 23,681 cases recorded on March 30.

The UK has seen an average of 73 daily cases per million people over the past week.

Only two EU countries - Denmark and Portugal - have lower case rates.
    French president Emmanuel Macron warned in a televised address his country is likely to "lose control" amid soaring Covid rates
    French president Emmanuel Macron warned in a televised address his country is likely to "lose control" amid soaring Covid ratesCredit: AFP
    Total deaths in France have soared to almost 100,000

Hungary is the worst hit EU nation, with the daily rate soaring to 882 cases per one million people.

France's seven-day average is 571, with Netherlands 449 and Italy's 334.

As the pandemic sends Europe into meltdown, UK cases, deaths and hospitalisations have dropped to a six-month low.

Yesterday, there were 43 deaths - a 56 per cent week-on-week drop on last Wednesday's deaths -. and 4,052 cases.

UK deaths are now averaging averaging 50 a day, down from the peak of 1,284 deaths on January 19.

Almost six in ten adults in the UK have received at least one dose of the vaccine, with the EU figure only around 11 per cent.

Europe's chaotic vaccine rollout has seen Germany this week ban the AstraZeneca jab for under-55s over blood clot fears.

The shock decision comes days after France, Italy and Germany resumed their rollout out of the AstraZeneca vaccine after the EU finally declared it safe.

The trio's humiliating U-turn had come after all three countries led the way in suspending use of the jab amid an unfounded safety scare about the link with blood-clots.

And today the European Medical Agency again ruled the AZ jab safe despite Germany slapping a ban on using it on under 55s.
    Angela Merkel banning the Oxford vaccine and flirting with Putin over the Sputnik jab has been blamed on 'hatred for Brexit Britain'
    Angela Merkel banning the Oxford vaccine and flirting with Putin over the Sputnik jab has been blamed on 'hatred for Brexit Britain'Credit: EPA"

That was in lots of National newspapers yesterday. Did you not see it?

Viral video of Boris Johnson ‘lying to parliament’ approaches 10 million views

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/viral-video-of-boris-johnson-lying-to-parliament-approaches-10-million-views/ar-BB1fBNif?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I do.

Again untrue.

Obviously.

?

True.

"

Bluff. Raise.

Fixed your post.

BBC News

Published17 hours ago

You are shameless at only using facts that suit you. You claim you are looking at now, not the past. Let us look at the rate NOW.

"SHOT AHEAD UK’s Covid infection rate plunges lower than 25 of 27 EU nations as cases fall 28% in a week after vaccine rollout

Joe Duggan

THE UK'S Covid infection rate is lower than 25 of 27 EU countries after the success of Britain's vaccine rollout.

The daily case numbers in the UK have slumped by 28 per cent in a week, official figures show.

Only Denmark and Portugal have lower infection rates among EU nations that the UK, the seven-day average of cases per million people shows
    The success of the UK's vaccine rollout has seen deaths and infections slumpCredit: AFP

The UK is now the best-placed major European nation as a third-wave wreaks havoc on the continent.

France has seen cases triple since early February to nearly 60,000 cases a day, with doctors in overwhelmed hospitals forced to choose which Covid patients get a ventilator.

Emmanuel Macron last night declared a four-week national lockdown and warned France is likely to "lose control" amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

The French President has blamed the UK Kent variant for the explosion in cases, with the weekly infection rate around eight times higher than in the UK.
    FRANCE LOCKDOWN

In a televised nationwide address , President Macron said the "epidemic is accelerating" and warned France is likely to "lose control" as infections spiral.

Germany's infection rate is nearly three times higher than the UK's, with 23,681 cases recorded on March 30.

The UK has seen an average of 73 daily cases per million people over the past week.

French president Emmanuel Macron warned in a televised address his country is likely to "lose control" amid soaring Covid rates
    French president Emmanuel Macron warned in a televised address his country is likely to "lose control" amid soaring Covid ratesCredit: AFP

Hungary is the worst hit EU nation, with the daily rate soaring to 882 cases per one million people.

As the pandemic sends Europe into meltdown, UK cases, deaths and hospitalisations have dropped to a six-month low.

Yesterday, there were 43 deaths - a 56 per cent week-on-week drop on last Wednesday's deaths -. and 4,052 cases.

UK deaths are now averaging averaging 50 a day, down from the peak of 1,284 deaths on January 19.

Almost six in ten adults in the UK have received at least one dose of the vaccine, with the EU figure only around 11 per cent.

Europe's chaotic vaccine rollout has seen Germany this week ban the AstraZeneca jab for under-55s over blood clot fears.

The shock decision comes days after France, Italy and Germany resumed their rollout out of the AstraZeneca vaccine after the EU finally declared it safe.

The trio's humiliating U-turn had come after all three countries led the way in suspending use of the jab amid an unfounded safety scare about the link with blood-clots.

And today the European Medical Agency again ruled the AZ jab safe despite Germany slapping a ban on using it on under 55s.
    Angela Merkel banning the Oxford vaccine and flirting with Putin over the Sputnik jab has been blamed on 'hatred for Brexit Britain'
    Angela Merkel banning the Oxford vaccine and flirting with Putin over the Sputnik jab has been blamed on 'hatred for Brexit Britain'Credit: EPA"

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/viral-video-of-boris-johnson-lying-to-parliament-approaches-10-million-views/ar-BB1fBNif?ocid=msedgntp

I can't quite see what point you are trying to make.

You quote the article I quoted. With lots of important facts within it.

You then appear to want to answer this with "Look, Boris tells lies". As though that has any relevance whatsoever to the points in the article.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    I distinctly recall Haysie saying that he has a balanced view, and would print anything that showed Brexit in a positive light.

I saw lots of articles pointing to the January trade figures, and how this proves he was right.

The February trade figures were released and in all the papers yesterday. They show much better trade figures, and appear to show that importers to the UK are struggling more than UK exporters.

I don't believe the Feb trade figures prove anything other than things will not be as bad as the Jan figures. All sorts of problems may lie ahead. Just not the Project Fear variety.

But I would have hoped that Haysie might have felt that the Feb trade figures were relevant. Particularly when so much was made of the Jan figures. And particularly for balance.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

I distinctly recall Haysie saying that he has a balanced view, and would print anything that showed Brexit in a positive light.

I saw lots of articles pointing to the January trade figures, and how this proves he was right.

The February trade figures were released and in all the papers yesterday. They show much better trade figures, and appear to show that importers to the UK are struggling more than UK exporters.

I don't believe the Feb trade figures prove anything other than things will not be as bad as the Jan figures. All sorts of problems may lie ahead. Just not the Project Fear variety.

But I would have hoped that Haysie might have felt that the Feb trade figures were relevant. Particularly when so much was made of the Jan figures. And particularly for balance.

My apologies, I have been busy watching Apple TV.
    I have to watch it in between playing on my laptop.
    There is a novelty factor as I have only just got it.
    Although there is no reason why someone else may not have posted them?
    You accused me the other day of posting too many articles on another thread.
    Now it is to few.
    I will have a look later.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

I do.

Again untrue.

Obviously.

?

True.

"

Bluff. Raise.

Fixed your post.

BBC News

Published17 hours ago

Joe Duggan

FRANCE LOCKDOWN

I can't quite see what point you are trying to make.

You quote the article I quoted. With lots of important facts within it.

You then appear to want to answer this with "Look, Boris tells lies". As though that has any relevance whatsoever to the points in the article.

So you think the Boris lies are not relevant to Brexit?
  • Options
    UK exports to EU rebound partially after January's slump

Trade between the UK and EU partially recovered in February, after a steep drop in January following Brexit.

Official figures show exports to the EU jumped by 46.6%, £3.7bn, to £11.6bn, following January's 42% slump when firms struggled with new trade rules.

However, the Office for National Statistics said exports were still below last year's levels and imports from the EU had seen a weaker recovery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56729631
  • Options
    UK exports to Ireland partially recover following Brexit

Trade between the UK and Ireland partially recovered in February, after a steep drop in January following Brexit.

The value of UK exports to Ireland was up by 38% month-on-month from £1.13bn to £1.56bn.

That is still down by more than 7% compared to February last year when exports were valued at £1.69bn.

The figures for Irish imports to the UK continued to deteriorate, down by 21% month-on-month and 17% year-on-year.

The value of Irish imports in February was £877m, the worst month in more than 10 years according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56735007