You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,304
    Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Brexit is undoubtedly a factor. But there are others.
    HGV driving has been a ticking time bomb for many years.

HGV drivers are often paid little more than minimum wage. When you add in the poor lifestyle, poor work-life balance, and the fact that it costs £thousands to get a Licence, little wonder that UK drivers have shunned the job for decades.

We knew we were leaving the EU years ago. Yet UK logistics companies have done little or nothing-unless you count putting up their prices. Where was the planning for the inevitable change?

Add in the facts that we are on the outer edge of Europe, an island, Covid, and the fact that every European country has a major shortage of HGV drivers.

But much easier just to blame it on Brexit....

So BREXIT has had no effect ? Surely even you cant say that. It has had an effect on most things and mostly negative.

Any negative effect is bad and I await to see the good times BREXITEERS promised and live in hope for my children and grandchildren.
    Of course Brexit is a factor. That is why my first words were:-

"Brexit is undoubtedly a factor."

Personally, I don't think the UK should have voted for Brexit. But it did. Deal with it.
    im trying
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,055
    Essexphil said:

HGV drivers are often paid little more than minimum wage. When you add in the poor lifestyle, poor work-life balance, and the fact that it costs £thousands to get a Licence, little wonder that UK drivers have shunned the job for decades.

We knew we were leaving the EU years ago. Yet UK logistics companies have done little or nothing-unless you count putting up their prices. Where was the planning for the inevitable change?

Add in the facts that we are on the outer edge of Europe, an island, Covid, and the fact that every European country has a major shortage of HGV drivers.

Leave.EU
    @LeaveEUOfficial
    ·
    12 Sep 2019
    WATCH | "I've never seen such utter tosh in my life... There are over 100 active ports in the UK, there won't be food shortages. It's utter rubbish - Project Fear Mark 2... it should be utterly, completely, totally disregarded!"
    @Nigel_Farage
    nails it!

• Options
    Essexphil said:

At long last, a real Brexit benefit.
    Tim Martin running out of beer.
    That definitely qualifies.

It seems that we are under pressure to fill vacancies that were previously filled by many EU workers who have returned home post referendum.
    I think that this has been a gradual process, rather than an immediate departure as soon as the result was known.
    Farming, HGV drivers, social care, NHS, and hospitality, seem particularly affected.

I dont agree with your comments on HGV drivers.
    I dont think that the staff shortages have been going on for a decades.
    Some employers are better than others, in every industry.
    I am sure that haulage is no different, and that there are poor employers, as well as some very good ones.
    I was talking to one last week.
    Thirty years old, works for Warburtons, very happy with his job, and basic earnings of 32k per year.
    Apparently the number of HGV tests in the UK fell last year to 15,000, this figure is usually 40,000.
    So maybe a quarter of the shortage of drivers was created by covid.
    Employers offering incentives like higher wages, bonuses etc, will increase their costs, and pass them on to consumers.

I am reluctant to believe that the backlash against EU migrants, post referendum, was predictable.
    We have a new immigration policy.
    This was meant to allow us to pinpoint areas of staff shortages, and only allow those that were able to fill these vacancies, into the country.
    This doesnt seem to be working yet.
    In fact it seems to be failing in many areas.

I also think that there are people that are currently arguing that the wages for some of these jobs are too low, and should be increased.
    These same people will probably whinge when they have to pay for these increases, one way or another.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

So BREXIT has had no effect ? Surely even you cant say that. It has had an effect on most things and mostly negative.

Any negative effect is bad and I await to see the good times BREXITEERS promised and live in hope for my children and grandchildren.

Personally, I don't think the UK should have voted for Brexit. But it did. Deal with it.
    I think the point is that we are not dealing with it very well.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Major factor?
  • Options
    Brexit: Longer grace periods not a solution says Varadkar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-58422191
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

It seems that we are under pressure to fill vacancies that were previously filled by many EU workers who have returned home post referendum.
    I think that this has been a gradual process, rather than an immediate departure as soon as the result was known.
    Farming, HGV drivers, social care, NHS, and hospitality, seem particularly affected.

I am sure that haulage is no different, and that there are poor employers, as well as some very good ones.
    Thirty years old, works for Warburtons, very happy with his job, and basic earnings of 32k per year.
    Apparently the number of HGV tests in the UK fell last year to 15,000, this figure is usually 40,000.
    Employers offering incentives like higher wages, bonuses etc, will increase their costs, and pass them on to consumers.

I am reluctant to believe that the backlash against EU migrants, post referendum, was predictable.
    This was meant to allow us to pinpoint areas of staff shortages, and only allow those that were able to fill these vacancies, into the country.

I also think that there are people that are currently arguing that the wages for some of these jobs are too low, and should be increased.
    These same people will probably whinge when they have to pay for these increases, one way or another.
    Most things that harm Tim Martin are fine by me. Regardless of where 1 stands on Brexit, there were clearly some deeply unpleasant people on that side.

Staff shortages have been growing since 2016 in various industries. Covid has just accelerated it.

We can't have it both ways. There was a conscious decision to "go it alone"-that necessarily means that there needs to be a greater willingness for British people to do certain jobs. And a new targeted immigration policy.

HGV tests have been falling for 20 years. The average age of an HGV driver in the UK is 55, and rising. Your "quarter" is just last year's shortfall. Try adding in the other years.

On the 1 hand we have people (remainers) still pretending we are in 2015. But it is equally true to say that this Government (and many Brexiteers) think we are still in July 2016. Brexit most certainly has not been "done". Ideologically, possibly. Practically, no.

We do not have a clear new immigration policy, to meet the changed post-Brexit needs. We have no plan at all to deal with the inevitable changes Brexit has brought. OK-Covid has increased that. But the problems were there anyway. No plan to bring in workers in industries where needed. No plan to incentivise our own workers. Simple example-why not incentivise people to get HGV licences?

This Government has been shambolic. No leadership. Cronyism on a scale never seen before. Raft of broken manifesto pledges. But still miles ahead in the polls. Because people are ignoring what is happening now.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Major factor?
    Yes. But far from the only factor.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Major factor?
    Sky News reader sums up post-Brexit Britain in ‘most apocalyptic terms’

Haggis_UK 🇬🇧 🇪🇺
    @Haggis_UK
    ·
    3 Sep
    Ian King - "England has become a country where the pubs have no beer, farmers don't have anyone to pick their fruit, & even if they did there aren't enough lorry drivers to get it to the shops."

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Major factor?
    Boris warned 'horrendous' Brexit legal battle with EU looming - and UK will likely LOSE

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/boris-warned-horrendous-brexit-legal-battle-with-eu-looming-and-uk-will-likely-lose/ar-AAO5u79?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html
  • Options
    Farms are set to kill and burn 100,000 pigs because of a post-Brexit butchers' shortage: Industry chiefs vent fury at Priti Patel for leaving key staff off list - but keeping ballet dancers

Leading figures in the livestock industry say that the animals face being killed and burned because Home Secretary Priti Patel has failed to include the job on a list of shortage occupations.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958663/Farms-set-kill-burn-100-000-pigs-post-Brexit-butchers-shortage.html
  • Options
    Britain is facing a chronic shortage of vets as meat trade expects hundreds will be needed to sign off on EU red tape

Strict European Union border controls mean supermarkets, food producers and Government agencies will need to find qualified vets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958437/Britain-facing-chronic-shortage-vets-needed-sign-EU-red-tape.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html

Yet another whiner.

Do I agree with everything my country does? Of course not.
    But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Most things that harm Tim Martin are fine by me. Regardless of where 1 stands on Brexit, there were clearly some deeply unpleasant people on that side.

Many Brexiteers now face embarrassing replays of quotes they previously made.

Staff shortages have been growing since 2016 in various industries. Covid has just accelerated it.

Some of these shortages were caused by the number of our EU migrants returning home as a result of the animosity that was displayed towards them, post referendum.
    The problem is that many Brits seem unwilling to fill the vacancies that this created.

We can't have it both ways. There was a conscious decision to "go it alone"-that necessarily means that there needs to be a greater willingness for British people to do certain jobs. And a new targeted immigration policy.

So for the Brexiteers that cheered the ending of FoM, it doesnt mean we will get less immigration, they will just come from different places.
    Bad news for the racists, as many more will mot be white.

HGV tests have been falling for 20 years. The average age of an HGV driver in the UK is 55, and rising. Your "quarter" is just last year's shortfall. Try adding in the other years.

I dont intend looking this up, but if that is the case, it has not resulted in empty supermarket shelves, beer shortages, or restaurants closing, previously.
    I was under the impression that we survived by testing 40,000 of them per year.
    This dropped to 15,000 last year.
    Once covid is more under control, you would assume that the higher figure could again be achieved.
    In addition there may be a backlog caused by those that have delayed their training due to covid.
    Unfortunately these problems cannot be immediately eliminated.

On the 1 hand we have people (remainers) still pretending we are in 2015. But it is equally true to say that this Government (and many Brexiteers) think we are still in July 2016. Brexit most certainly has not been "done". Ideologically, possibly. Practically, no.

I can only speak for myself, but although I was a remainer, I fully accept that we have left.
    Many Brexiteers wish to ignore all the difficulties that Brexit has caused, or attribute them to covid or anything else that is handy.
    The Irish Border grace periods ending will be unlikely to improve anything.

We do not have a clear new immigration policy, to meet the changed post-Brexit needs. We have no plan at all to deal with the inevitable changes Brexit has brought. OK-Covid has increased that. But the problems were there anyway. No plan to bring in workers in industries where needed. No plan to incentivise our own workers. Simple example-why not incentivise people to get HGV licences?

Boris loves headlines, and hates clarity.

This Government has been shambolic. No leadership. Cronyism on a scale never seen before. Raft of broken manifesto pledges. But still miles ahead in the polls. Because people are ignoring what is happening now.
    It is hard to think of something they have done well.
    Many EU countries have caught us up on covid vaccinations.
    We are all aware of their disasters, which are too numerous to mention.
    Going off on a tangent.
    I listened to a NewsNight report the other night about the problems with tower blocks, Post Grenfell.
    It featured a small number of the hundreds of thousands of people that are affected.
    They live in fear, cant move, have no value in their property, are facing massively increased costs, which in some cases are unaffordable.
    A retired solicitor appeared.
    The insurance cost alone, on her block has increased from 20k to 205k.
    Her services costs have doubled.
    She was forced to return to work, as she couldnt afford the increased costs on her pension.
    The Government declined an invitation to take part.
    She should be ready to carry on working for the foreseeable.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Polling guru Curtice issues harrowing double independence threat to Boris Johnson

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/polling-guru-curtice-issues-harrowing-double-independence-threat-to-boris-johnson/ar-AAO7bQS?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

Major factor?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5hQya5SF0
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Businesses 'face staff shortages for TWO YEARS': 'Perfect storm' of Brexit and Covid will lead to bleak future due to lack of waiters, chefs and builders, experts warn

A 'perfect storm' from Brexit and the pandemic has left businesses battling shortages of lorry drivers, waiters, chefs and construction workers.

There were still 1.9million on furlough at the end of June and economists predict that between 150,000 and 280,000 will lose their jobs when support is withdrawn at the end of the month. There are currently 1.6million out of work.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9960871/Businesses-face-staff-shortages-TWO-YEARS-perfect-storm-Brexit-Covid-pandemic.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Do I agree with everything my country does? Of course not.
    But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
    Why because of its faults?