You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html

Yet another whiner.

Do I agree with everything my country does? Of course not.
    But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
    Why because of its faults?
    Britain has a long history of doing things the hard way. We tilt at windmills in a way that is a mixture of stupid and admirable. On 1 level, the UK often believes there are only 2 countries in the world:-"British" and "Foreign". And that British is best.

It is not right. But it does deserve a certain admiration. And it is a major reason why our small country is more important in many ways than our size/population would suggest.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,055
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html

Yet another whiner.

But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
    Do you think that this is the reason why people in this country blame the EU for every problem related to Brexit, even when it is clearly not their fault?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Do you think that this is the reason why people in this country blame the EU for every problem related to Brexit, even when it is clearly not their fault?
    It is part of it. People in Britain seem to characterise people as heroes or villains. Regardless of the fact that the reality is far more nuanced. Which is how the 2016 referendum was won (or lost).

So-yes. Some Brexiteers genuinely believe that everything is the fault of everyone else. And that is wrong.

But here's the thing. Some British people only want to blame the Government for all ills associated with Brexit. And that is just as wrong.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Why because of its faults?
    Britain has a long history of doing things the hard way. We tilt at windmills in a way that is a mixture of stupid and admirable. On 1 level, the UK often believes there are only 2 countries in the world:-"British" and "Foreign". And that British is best.

It is not right. But it does deserve a certain admiration. And it is a major reason why our small country is more important in many ways than our size/population would suggest.
    I dont believe that loving your country should exclude you from criticising the government.
    I think we are inclined to overestimate our importance, and influence.
    In our own minds we have to be the best, or world beaters, world leaders etc.
    When in reality this is rarely the case.
    The covid test and trace app was a good example of this.
    I have no wish to defend Hilary Mantel, she is entitled to her own views, although I would agree with any criticism of Boris Johnson, and still wonder how we ended up with him.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

It is part of it. People in Britain seem to characterise people as heroes or villains. Regardless of the fact that the reality is far more nuanced. Which is how the 2016 referendum was won (or lost).

So-yes. Some Brexiteers genuinely believe that everything is the fault of everyone else. And that is wrong.

But here's the thing. Some British people only want to blame the Government for all ills associated with Brexit. And that is just as wrong.
    Who else would you blame?
    Steve Baker of all people is now describing Brexit as a fiasco.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

David Schneider
    @davidschneider
    ·
    5 Aug
    Dominic Cummings:
    “Anyone who’s sure Brexit is a good idea has got a screw loose”

Steve Baker:
    “Brexit is a fiasco”

These guys must be furious at the people who were behind the Leave campaign.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/tory-mp-and-self-styled-hardman-of-brexit-now-says-brexit-is-a-fiasco-284751/
  • Options
    UK and EU agree to extend truce over post-Brexit border checks in Northern Ireland to avoid trade war as Lord Trimble blasts Joe Biden for siding with Brussels

The UK and the EU have agreed to extend a truce over the introduction of controversial post-Brexit trade checks in Northern Ireland .

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9962613/UK-EU-extend-truce-Northern-Ireland-trade-checks.html
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

2 staggeringly obvious candidates.

1. The great British public. In the 2014 European elections, UKIP won. This forced the Conservative Party's hand to give a free vote on Brexit. Which Leave won. And the Conservative Party have won every election since on a "leave" ticket. It's called democracy. To paraphrase Teresa May, sometimes the British public gets what it deserves.

2. The EU. There are 2 negotiating parties in relation to the manner of our leaving the EU. The EU's negotiating stance has been just as ridiculous as the UK. Compare/contrast NI with every other part of EU countries that are not in the EU.

It is easy to trot out idiots like Steve Baker. Much more difficult to admit that this Government are carrying out what the British electorate have asked them to do.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

1. The great British public. In the 2014 European elections, UKIP won. This forced the Conservative Party's hand to give a free vote on Brexit. Which Leave won. And the Conservative Party have won every election since on a "leave" ticket. It's called democracy. To paraphrase Teresa May, sometimes the British public gets what it deserves.

2. The EU. There are 2 negotiating parties in relation to the manner of our leaving the EU. The EU's negotiating stance has been just as ridiculous as the UK. Compare/contrast NI with every other part of EU countries that are not in the EU.

It is easy to trot out idiots like Steve Baker. Much more difficult to admit that this Government are carrying out what the British electorate have asked them to do.
    I completely disagree with point one.
    The British public did vote to leave the EU.
    They had no input as to the terms on which we left.
    There were many flavours of Brexit that were available.
    Boris chose the one that suited him.

You continue to peddle the myth about the 2014 European elections.
    David Cameron promised an EU referendum in January 2013.

As it happens, I would also disagree with your point 2.
    I think the example you have chosen is a very poor one.
    Us leaving presented a unique situation because of NI.
    Once we had chosen to leave, a border was inevitable.
    The EU seemed to readily agree that this couldnt be on the island of Ireland.
    They also seemed to readily agree to NI remaining in the CU/SM.
    Had they refused this request, what would have happened?
    The border in the Irish has become the border between the rest of the UK, and the SM.
    Yet we are now moaning about the border checks.
    They have suggested a means of reducing these checks by 80%, but we are not interested.
    We have unilaterally extended grace periods, yet the EU have immediately agreed to the extensions when asked.
    Only Brits would think it reasonable to dictate what checks the EU are entitled to make on stuff that is entering THEIR Single Market.

Idiots like Steve Baker influenced the the Brexit flavour.

David Cameron promises in/out referendum on EU
    Published23 January 2013

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

You seem to have a very short memory.
    Theresa May said no British PM would ever put a border in the Irish Sea.
    Her backstop obviously didnt need this border.
    Boris chose to put the border in place when he opted for the protocol, instead of the backstop.
    He was surely aware of the border checks that would ensue.
    The British public had no choice in the matter.
    Under Theresa Mays plan we were still leaving the EU.
  • Options

The border in the Irish has become the border between the rest of the UK, and the SM.
    They have suggested a means of reducing these checks by 80%, but we are not interested.
    We have unilaterally extended grace periods, yet the EU have immediately agreed to the extensions when asked.
    Only Brits would think it reasonable to dictate what checks the EU are entitled to make on stuff that is entering THEIR Single Market.

Published23 January 2013

You don't seem to understand how democracy works in the UK.
    The first job of a political party is to win an election.

Let's start by looking at UKIP's performance in European elections.

1999. 6.5% of the vote. 4th most popular.
    2004. 16.2%. 3rd most popular.
    2009. 16.5%. 2nd most popular.
    2014. 27.5%. Most popular.
    2019. (Brexit Party). 31.6%. Most popular.

Or the Coservative Party's recent record in UK elections.
    2017. Won.
    2019. Won with increased majority.

So-it is a given that Parties will pitch to try and win.
    The options at the last elections on Europe?
    Conservative. Leave/look how we have left.
    Labour. No idea.
    LibDems. Let's pretend we are still in 2015.

There were not lots of "flavours" of Brexit on offer. Certainly not the ones that you (or I) would wish. But that is the way democracy works sometimes. I suppose you could choose to live in Afghanistan. None of that pesky democracy there.

You persist in your belief that

(1) All those election results are somehow not relevant; and
    (2) That, where 2 parties agree to a deal, if it is bad, that must be entirely the fault of just 1 of those 2.

Northern Ireland is not "unique". Look at Gibraltar. Look at the Faeroes/Greenland. Look at the Canaries. French Guiana. Even British parts of Cyprus. Deals are done for the benefit of all. Not just EU fanatics.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Boris chose to put the border in place when he opted for the protocol, instead of the backstop.
    This shows the major differences between May and Johnson.

No-one understood May's plan. So she could not sell it.

Johnson is the ultimate timeshare salesman. He polished a tu rd, and made enough people believe in it. And sold it, before everyone realised it was a dud.

I would have thought you would admire that :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Published23 January 2013

You don't seem to understand how democracy works in the UK.
    The first job of a political party is to win an election.

Irrespective of what I know about how democracy works in the UK, David Cameron would have had to have been telepathic, when he announced the referendum in 2013, if he was taking into account the European election results of 2014.
    This makes me question your knowledge of telepathy.
    Apparently he announced the referendum not believing it would take place. He was banking on the Lib Dems stopping it from going ahead. He didnt anticipate winning outright in 2015. Some might say that this was a very unfortunate outcome which led us to where we are today.

Let's start by looking at UKIP's performance in European elections.

1999. 6.5% of the vote. 4th most popular.
    2004. 16.2%. 3rd most popular.
    2009. 16.5%. 2nd most popular.
    2014. 27.5%. Most popular.
    2019. (Brexit Party). 31.6%. Most popular.

Or the Coservative Party's recent record in UK elections.
    2017. Won.
    2019. Won with increased majority.

What about telepathy.

So-it is a given that Parties will pitch to try and win.
    The options at the last elections on Europe?
    Conservative. Leave/look how we have left.
    Labour. No idea.
    LibDems. Let's pretend we are still in
    There were not lots of "flavours" of Brexit on offer. Certainly not the ones that you (or I) would wish. But that is the way democracy works sometimes. I suppose you could choose to live in Afghanistan. None of that pesky democracy there.

There were a number of options that were preferable to where we ended up.
    The vote to leave was democratic.
    The actual Brexit deal was nothing to do with democracy.

You persist in your belief that

(1) All those election results are somehow not relevant; and

I dont believe this for a minute.

(2) That, where 2 parties agree to a deal, if it is bad, that must be entirely the fault of just 1 of those 2.

Please explain to me what the EU are complaining about?

Northern Ireland is not "unique". Look at Gibraltar. Look at the Faeroes/Greenland. Look at the Canaries. French Guiana. Even British parts of Cyprus. Deals are done for the benefit of all. Not just EU fanatics.

NI is unique as it is the only part of the UK which remains in the SM/CU.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Yes, the backstop, rather than the protocol, no Irish border, and a much closer relationship with the EU.

I would have said that she couldnt align the factions in her own party.
    Boris lied to get them on board.

Johnson is the ultimate timeshare salesman. He polished a tu rd, and made enough people believe in it. And sold it, before everyone realised it was a dud.

I believe that I was always an honest an ethical salesperson.
    I believe that timeshare is a good product.
    Many people make silly comments about timeshare, that havent a clue about how it works.
    Many household names sell timeshare, Disney, Marriott, DeVere, Macdonalds, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, etc etc.

I have nothing but contempt for liars like Boris Johnson.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

The last timeshare accommodation I stayed in,

• Options
    Looks lovely.

Timeshare has never been for me. I don't want to commit to going on the same holiday every year. I'm sure lots of people love them.

I'm sure timeshare is like everything else. Some good, some bad. The problems with the bad ones are these:-

1. No info re resale value after 5-10 years. Sellers always know this, rarely say.
    2. No commitment not to flog off the management company, thus creating a "good" and separate "bad" company
    3. No info re historic resort fees/management fees after 5 or 10 years
    4. Aggressive sales tactics re time limited offers

I'm sure no ethical salesman does/hides that sort of thing.

But I do know that every dispute I have had with several timeshare operators, every time I ask those questions matters seem to get settled. Sure I've only dealt with the bad ones...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexphil said:

Looks lovely.

I think so.

Timeshare has never been for me. I don't want to commit to going on the same holiday every year. I'm sure lots of people love them.

Nobody ever does.
    People are free to use their home resort or go elsewhere through an exchange company.
    The big two are RCI, and Interval International.
    RCI have around 3,500 affiliated resorts, Interval about 2,000.
    So owners are able to holiday anytime of year, and practically anywhere in the world.

I'm sure timeshare is like everything else. Some good, some bad. The problems with the bad ones are these:-

True of any industry.

1. No info re resale value after 5-10 years. Sellers always know this, rarely say.

Timeshare has always had a lower resale value than the purchase price, a bit like a car or a tv, or pretty much everything we buy.
    We are happy to sell a car for less than we have paid for it, because we have had use out of it.
    Rather like a timeshare.
    So if it is worth less after using it to holiday for 30 or 40 years, shouldnt we just accept that?

3. No commitment not to flog off the management company, thus creating a "good" and separate "bad" company

Timeshare owners are able to vote out and replace poor management companies, and regularly do so.
    They are protected from unwarranted management fee increases by The Timeshare Act.

5. No info re historic resort fees/management fees after 5 or 10 years

Increases are capped to the CPI.

7. Aggressive sales tactics re time limited offers

Some did.
    Most direct sales companies use time limited offers.
    Have DFS ever not got a sale on?
    It is illegal to take a deposit.
    Everyone got a 14 day cooling off period

I'm sure no ethical salesman does/hides that sort of thing.

True.

But I do know that every dispute I have had with several timeshare operators, every time I ask those questions matters seem to get settled. Sure I've only dealt with the bad ones...

Customers of reputable companies rarely end up in solicitors offices.

The last abroad exchange holiday I booked was to Marriotts Marbella.
    I booked a 3 bedroom unit.
    This sleeps a maximum of 8 people.
    Some of my family came out for 4 or 5 days.
    I was there for 2 weeks.
    I exchanged through Interval International.
    The exchange fee was £123 per week.
    My total costs were £246 for 2 exchange fees.
    Say £1200 for 2 management fees.
    So a total of £1446 excluding flights.
    I have just been on the Marriott site to get a rental price.
    The price they are quoting just to rent a similar unit is 587 euros per night.
    You can check it.
    So I got a 7.5k holiday for less than £1500.

So lets say I bought my timeshare for 6k.
    I have just about saved the full value in the savings I have made on 1 holiday.
    Who gives a sh1t about resale values.

I wouldnt pay 7.5k for a holiday, but I was really happy to get the same holiday for less than £1500, and even happier when I could take friends and family for free.

Many people said to me that they could get a package holiday for less than a timeshare management fee.
    I always agreed with them, while pointing out that it wouldnt be the same holiday.
    Sh1t package holidays are very cheap.
    Timeshare was always about quality holidays not cheap ones.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Marriott Marbella.

• Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkHJvCTybpA