You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,443
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html

Yet another whiner.

Do I agree with everything my country does? Of course not.
    But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
    Do you think that this is the reason why people in this country blame the EU for every problem related to Brexit, even when it is clearly not their fault?
    It is part of it. People in Britain seem to characterise people as heroes or villains. Regardless of the fact that the reality is far more nuanced. Which is how the 2016 referendum was won (or lost).

So-yes. Some Brexiteers genuinely believe that everything is the fault of everyone else. And that is wrong.

But here's the thing. Some British people only want to blame the Government for all ills associated with Brexit. And that is just as wrong.
    Who else would you blame?
    Steve Baker of all people is now describing Brexit as a fiasco.
    2 staggeringly obvious candidates.

1. The great British public. In the 2014 European elections, UKIP won. This forced the Conservative Party's hand to give a free vote on Brexit. Which Leave won. And the Conservative Party have won every election since on a "leave" ticket. It's called democracy. To paraphrase Teresa May, sometimes the British public gets what it deserves.

2. The EU. There are 2 negotiating parties in relation to the manner of our leaving the EU. The EU's negotiating stance has been just as ridiculous as the UK. Compare/contrast NI with every other part of EU countries that are not in the EU.

It is easy to trot out idiots like Steve Baker. Much more difficult to admit that this Government are carrying out what the British electorate have asked them to do.
    You seem to have a very short memory.
    Theresa May said no British PM would ever put a border in the Irish Sea.
    Her backstop obviously didnt need this border.
    Boris chose to put the border in place when he opted for the protocol, instead of the backstop.
    He was surely aware of the border checks that would ensue.
    The British public had no choice in the matter.
    Under Theresa Mays plan we were still leaving the EU.
    This shows the major differences between May and Johnson.

No-one understood May's plan. So she could not sell it.

Johnson is the ultimate timeshare salesman. He polished a tu rd, and made enough people believe in it. And sold it, before everyone realised it was a dud.

I would have thought you would admire that :)
    Disney resales.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/listings/animal-kingdom-lodge/?tab=point-charts
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Dame Hilary Mantel says she's 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to move to Ireland to 'become a European again'

Wolf Hall author Dame Hilary Mantel has sparked anger after declaring that she is 'ashamed' of Britain and plans to take up Irish citizenship to 'become a European again'. The Booker Prize winner also used an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica to describe Boris Johnson as unfit for public office, to criticise the institution of monarchy and to ridicule the UK as an 'artificial and precarious construct'. But her broadside - and assertion that she might be happier living in a republic - could leave her vulnerable to allegations of hypocrisy for agreeing to become a Dame of the British Empire in 2014.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9958633/Dame-Hilary-Mantel-says-shes-ashamed-Britain-plans-Ireland.html

Yet another whiner.

But I don't decide that I am somehow not British just because my country does something I don't agree with, or vote in a way I think is misguided.

I love my country. With all it's faults. Sometimes, even because of all its faults.

My message to anyone wanting to leave is simple. Bye. Oh, and give back the Damehood, the CBE and so on. Rejecting who you are includes rejecting the gifts from what used to be your country. And remember-you are denying who you are.
    Do you think that this is the reason why people in this country blame the EU for every problem related to Brexit, even when it is clearly not their fault?
    It is part of it. People in Britain seem to characterise people as heroes or villains. Regardless of the fact that the reality is far more nuanced. Which is how the 2016 referendum was won (or lost).

So-yes. Some Brexiteers genuinely believe that everything is the fault of everyone else. And that is wrong.

But here's the thing. Some British people only want to blame the Government for all ills associated with Brexit. And that is just as wrong.

1. The great British public. In the 2014 European elections, UKIP won. This forced the Conservative Party's hand to give a free vote on Brexit. Which Leave won. And the Conservative Party have won every election since on a "leave" ticket. It's called democracy. To paraphrase Teresa May, sometimes the British public gets what it deserves.

2. The EU. There are 2 negotiating parties in relation to the manner of our leaving the EU. The EU's negotiating stance has been just as ridiculous as the UK. Compare/contrast NI with every other part of EU countries that are not in the EU.

It is easy to trot out idiots like Steve Baker. Much more difficult to admit that this Government are carrying out what the British electorate have asked them to do.
    Boris chose to put the border in place when he opted for the protocol, instead of the backstop.

Johnson is the ultimate timeshare salesman. He polished a tu rd, and made enough people believe in it. And sold it, before everyone realised it was a dud.

I bought a car in 2008.
    It was a Mercedes CLS 500.
    It was on an 07 plate.
    Around 15 months old, with 340 miles on the clock.
    It had apparently been used as a demo model.
    The salesman claimed that a new one would cost 59k.
    This might not have been true, but there were a few bits on it.
    It cost me just over 46k.
    In 2015, and 180,000 miles later, I sold it for 5.5k.
    Yet I am not writing internet posts claiming to have been conned, or protesting outside my local Merc dealers.

It was the best car I ever had.
    A bit heavy on petrol.
    Very comfortable considering the amount of time I spent in it.
    I consider the 5k per annum depreciation as good value for money.
  • Options
    Wetherspoons hit with shortages as toast is temporarily off the menu

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/wetherspoons-hit-shortages-toast-temporarily-163756010.html
  • Options
    ‘Where is it?’ – Sajid Javid challenged by Nick Ferrari over Boris Johnson’s £350m for NHS Brexit promise

Sajid Javid faced tough questioning from LBC’s Nick Ferrari this morning, as the Health Secretary was repeatedly challenged over the Government’s plans to boost health and social care funding.

The radio host probed Mr Javid on why the extra support was needed when Boris Johnson had promised voters the Government would save £350 million a week for the NHS if they opted to leave the EU in the 2016 referendum.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/where-is-it-sajid-javid-challenged-by-nick-ferrari-over-boris-johnson-s-350m-for-nhs-brexit-promise/ar-AAOdB7P?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

The Guardian view on Brexit deadlines: reality will not be deferred

In Brexit negotiations, no deadline is final. Reliably, it is the UK that needs an extension. Just as consistently, the reason is failure to understand the implications of something that had been agreed before the last deadline.

A picture is emerging of Britain as a lonely country, desperate for Brexit validation from non-European countries and unwilling to accept that repairing relations with Europe is the urgent priority. It might take a few more postponed deadlines before that reality is brought home. Mr Johnson may wish to pause his treaty obligations indefinitely, but the wider problems with Brexit come down to facts of geography and economics, which cannot be unilaterally suspended.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/the-guardian-view-on-brexit-deadlines-reality-will-not-be-deferred/ar-AAOedTK?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Some timeshare developers offer what they called country club membership.
    Where local owners are able to use the resort facilities free of charge, 365 days of the year.
    That means owners that live maybe up to an hour away from the resort are able to enjoy this benefit, and use the bar, restaurant, gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc.
    The company I worked for offered this.
    We had many owners that took advantage.
    Some of whom opined that this benefit alone offset their annual management fee.
    This didnt only apply to the UK.
    I once read an article in a timeshare publication, where the writer recommended the purchase of a week of timeshare at the nearest resort, after buying a villa abroad, in order to access the country club membership, in addition to accessing a few holidays elsewhere.

You brought up resales.
    I once had some dealings with a director of one of the leading resale companies in the UK.
    He told me a story regarding one of their better customers.
    He gained no benefit from telling me the story.
    So I have no reason to doubt that it is true.
    The guy was a doctor.
    He had purchased 16 weeks from them.
    They were all Marriott fixed weeks.
    They were all peak.(July and August school holiday weeks)
    He purchased them with a view to renting them out.
    As he bought them on resale, he paid far less than he would have paid buying them direct from Marriott.
    He was apparently making a substantial annual profit, even after paying 16 management fees.

I dont intend to turn this thread into a timeshare novel, so thats the end of timeshare for me.
    Although I am prepared to answer any questions, or clarify any misunderstandings regarding timeshare.
    As I said earlier many people that criticise timeshare, usually do so from a position of ignorance.

PS I used my ownership to provide some Sky players with accommodation in Vegas one year.
    The cost was £123 for the exchange.
    So approx £20 each for 6 people to stay in luxury accommodation, plus say £100 each to cover a management fee.
    I cant remember all of them but I think that @Nutter5932 was one, and @dantb10, was another.
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Brexit is undoubtedly a factor. But there are others.
    HGV driving has been a ticking time bomb for many years.

HGV drivers are often paid little more than minimum wage. When you add in the poor lifestyle, poor work-life balance, and the fact that it costs £thousands to get a Licence, little wonder that UK drivers have shunned the job for decades.

We knew we were leaving the EU years ago. Yet UK logistics companies have done little or nothing-unless you count putting up their prices. Where was the planning for the inevitable change?

Add in the facts that we are on the outer edge of Europe, an island, Covid, and the fact that every European country has a major shortage of HGV drivers.

But much easier just to blame it on Brexit....

The road haulage fella said on Sky News this morning that the average drivers wage was 35k three months ago.
    Today it is 55k.
    Good for drivers, probably not for consumers.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Some timeshare developers offer what they called country club membership.
    Where local owners are able to use the resort facilities free of charge, 365 days of the year.
    That means owners that live maybe up to an hour away from the resort are able to enjoy this benefit, and use the bar, restaurant, gym, swimming pool, tennis courts, etc.
    The company I worked for offered this.
    We had many owners that took advantage.
    Some of whom opined that this benefit alone offset their annual management fee.
    This didnt only apply to the UK.
    I once read an article in a timeshare publication, where the writer recommended the purchase of a week of timeshare at the nearest resort, after buying a villa abroad, in order to access the country club membership, in addition to accessing a few holidays elsewhere.

You brought up resales.
    I once had some dealings with a director of one of the leading resale companies in the UK.
    He told me a story regarding one of their better customers.
    He gained no benefit from telling me the story.
    So I have no reason to doubt that it is true.
    The guy was a doctor.
    He had purchased 16 weeks from them.
    They were all Marriott fixed weeks.
    They were all peak.(July and August school holiday weeks)
    He purchased them with a view to renting them out.
    As he bought them on resale, he paid far less than he would have paid buying them direct from Marriott.
    He was apparently making a substantial annual profit, even after paying 16 management fees.

I dont intend to turn this thread into a timeshare novel, so thats the end of timeshare for me.
    Although I am prepared to answer any questions, or clarify any misunderstandings regarding timeshare.
    As I said earlier many people that criticise timeshare, usually do so from a position of ignorance.

PS I used my ownership to provide some Sky players with accommodation in Vegas one year.
    The cost was £123 for the exchange.
    So approx £20 each for 6 people to stay in luxury accommodation, plus say £100 each to cover a management fee.
    I cant remember all of them but I think that @Nutter5932 was one, and @dantb10, was another.
    I believe I booked them into the Polo Towers.
    Just checked the rental rates for the last 2 weeks of July.
    For a 2 bed sleep 6 unit, it is $650 dollars per night.
    So over 9k for the fortnight.
    Timeshare is such a rip off?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Why because of its faults?
    Britain has a long history of doing things the hard way. We tilt at windmills in a way that is a mixture of stupid and admirable. On 1 level, the UK often believes there are only 2 countries in the world:-"British" and "Foreign". And that British is best.

It is not right. But it does deserve a certain admiration. And it is a major reason why our small country is more important in many ways than our size/population would suggest.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

vaigret said:

Essexphil said:

HGV drivers are often paid little more than minimum wage. When you add in the poor lifestyle, poor work-life balance, and the fact that it costs £thousands to get a Licence, little wonder that UK drivers have shunned the job for decades.

We knew we were leaving the EU years ago. Yet UK logistics companies have done little or nothing-unless you count putting up their prices. Where was the planning for the inevitable change?

Add in the facts that we are on the outer edge of Europe, an island, Covid, and the fact that every European country has a major shortage of HGV drivers.

So BREXIT has had no effect ? Surely even you cant say that. It has had an effect on most things and mostly negative.

Any negative effect is bad and I await to see the good times BREXITEERS promised and live in hope for my children and grandchildren.
    Of course Brexit is a factor. That is why my first words were:-

"Brexit is undoubtedly a factor."

Personally, I don't think the UK should have voted for Brexit. But it did. Deal with it.
    Major factor?
    Yes. But far from the only factor.
    Brexiteers Were Right - Brexit Is Creating Benefits*!

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Yet another whiner.

Why because of its faults?
    Britain has a long history of doing things the hard way. We tilt at windmills in a way that is a mixture of stupid and admirable. On 1 level, the UK often believes there are only 2 countries in the world:-"British" and "Foreign". And that British is best.

It is not right. But it does deserve a certain admiration. And it is a major reason why our small country is more important in many ways than our size/population would suggest.
    I was watching Ian King on Sky News this morning where claims were made that the cost of extra tariffs which relate to rules of origin have reached around £650 million so far.
    There have been estimates in the press recently that the cost of implementing the protocol will be £850 million per annum.
    According to the video above, we have to look to Estonia to find any real Brexit benefits.
  • Options
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Good article.

The Guardian view on Brexit diplomacy: thaw, not Frost

He is also replicating Mr Johnson’s approach to Brexit before the deal was done. But the treaty is settled. The task now is to rebuild relations that were strained in the years of belligerence before withdrawal was confirmed. Lord Frost is re-enacting battles that the prime minister has fought once before, believing they ended in victory. Under that delusion he is faithfully serving his boss, but not his country.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-guardian-view-on-brexit-diplomacy-thaw-not-frost/ar-AAOtFvF?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,084
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Good article.

The Guardian view on Brexit diplomacy: thaw, not Frost

He is also replicating Mr Johnson’s approach to Brexit before the deal was done. But the treaty is settled. The task now is to rebuild relations that were strained in the years of belligerence before withdrawal was confirmed. Lord Frost is re-enacting battles that the prime minister has fought once before, believing they ended in victory. Under that delusion he is faithfully serving his boss, but not his country.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/the-guardian-view-on-brexit-diplomacy-thaw-not-frost/ar-AAOtFvF?ocid=msedgntp
    It wasn't. As usual from the Grauniad, it was pro-EU and anti-UK.

The deal Boris achieved was terrible. But it is also unworkable in the longer term. As things stand, there are loads of trade barriers between the EU and the UK. But they all only go the 1 way.

No-one, not even the EU, can seriously believe this will continue in the longer term. Either the EU will treat the UK as a trade ally, or there will inevitably be reciprocal trade barriers. Why should the UK not adopt the same protectionist stance that the EU maintains? Northern Ireland shows how ridiculous this is-Ireland is free to purchase goods from the UK on whatever terms it chooses. But the reverse is not true.

This ridiculous state of affairs was caused by a mixture of the EU trying to punish the UK for leaving, and Boris's political need to "get Brexit done". But it is not going to stay like that for ever.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,084
    The EU loves to talk about the need for what it calls a "level playing field". So-in its mind-the fact that the UK could change workers' rights (even though it has not) is enough to impose trade barriers. Because the UK might (in the future) secure an unfair advantage.

The most fundamental workers right is pay. The Minimum Wage is crucial to that. You might think that the EU ensures a level playing field. Think again.

EU Countries with a higher Minimum Wage than the UK? 1. Tiny Luxembourg.
    EU countries with broadly similar Minimum Wages? 5. Belgium, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands

EU countries with a Minimum Wage less than half that of the UK?12. Bulgaria's Minimum Wage is less than 1/4 of the UK's. Many of these countries have new plants for UK companies-Czechia, Poland, Portugal and the like.

EU countries with no Minimum Wage? 6. Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Sweden and Italy.

Level playing fields work both ways.