You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

European Super League

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,636
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

ha ha ha funny
    they moan about playing more games then sign up to the ESL so basically playing in two leagues so playing about 60 games a season , you couldn't make it up

So what do you actually disagree with?
    It's a kick in the bo11ocks to genuine football fans and a total disregard to the rest of the football pyramid thats what i disagree with but you wouldn't understand that
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,193
    Essexphil said:

As far as I can see from the statement the "Big 6" would still play Premier League football each week, the ESL would run midweek.

You would have a situation where the 6 may play weaker sides in the PL as they know at the end of the season their European spot is assured.

In essence it is a breakaway from the Champions League, I may be wrong but the statement definately said the players could play for their clubs domestically

Exactly this.

This is primarily the Big 12 v UEFA as to who should run the European competitions. With both pretending otherwise.

As an example, both sides claiming this is a big bombshell, yet both sides immediately ready to go to Court as to whether the EPL can ban clubs from seeking outside revenue. Because neither side can refer to the "without prejudice" letters that have no doubt been going back & forth for weeks...
    So these clubs will be banned from European tournaments.
    The players from Internationals, which wont last for very long.
    So if they still plan to run the Champions League, and the Europa League, you would have to almost be relegated not to qualify for one of them.
    Quality would be lost from the Champions League, but the Europa League may not be too different.
    Is it an opportunity for lesser clubs to play European competitions?
  • Options
    stokefc said:

ha ha ha funny
    they moan about playing more games then sign up to the ESL so basically playing in two leagues so playing about 60 games a season , you couldn't make it up

Bigger squads?
    Will they still be playing in the Cups?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    What I would love to see is this:-

1. Scrap the World Club Championship-no-one cares
    2. Reduce International breaks where no proper Qualifiers are being played
    3. Have a proper European Cup in its place. A Knockout Competition. Between the Champions of each league. Because it used to be all about 1st. Not 4th.
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,041
  • Options

Christian Radnedge
    @ChristianRad
    UEFA executive committee member and head of Danish FA Jesper Moller tells broadcaster DR he expects Chelsea, Real Madrid & Man City to be kicked out of this season's Champions League: "The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday."
  • Options
    Liverpool fans are removing their flags from The Kop
    Fans RULE
  • Options
    What the gov't say
    Interesting statement from Dowden, and I hope there is some substance behind these words.

Oliver Dowden, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, said the UK Government will be "reviewing everything the Government does" to support the so-called big six football clubs who have decided to join the European Super League.

Making a statement on the matter in the Commons, he said he has spoken to the football authorities, adding: "My message for them was clear: they have our full backing.

"But, be in no doubt, if they can't act we will. We will put everything on the table to prevent this from happening. We are examining every option from governance reform to competition law and mechanisms that allow football to take place.

"Put simply, we will be reviewing everything the Government does to support these clubs to play. I have discussed these options with the Prime Minister this morning and we are working at pace across Government and with football authorities."
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Personally, I don't like the idea of a European Super League in its proposed format.

I get all the emotive responses. Personally, I would rather Spurs hadn't signed up.

But, if you love football, best to consider this.

UEFA and the National Football Associations are seeking to say that they alone decide where footballers, and their employers, play football. That if anyone does not solely play in the competitions they run, they are to be thrown out of all competitions. Regardless of what the people who pay the wages say.

There is a word for that. Slavery. And, if common sense does not prevail, there will be no commercial football. Because what UEFA are suggesting is much worse than any Super League.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,573
    Essexphil said:

Personally, I don't like the idea of a European Super League in its proposed format.

I get all the emotive responses. Personally, I would rather Spurs hadn't signed up.

UEFA and the National Football Associations are seeking to say that they alone decide where footballers, and their employers, play football. That if anyone does not solely play in the competitions they run, they are to be thrown out of all competitions. Regardless of what the people who pay the wages say.

There is a word for that. Slavery. And, if common sense does not prevail, there will be no commercial football. Because what UEFA are suggesting is much worse than any Super League.

@Essexphil

Will "restraint of trade" come into play here?
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Usually I'm all for anything that flicks the finger at UEFA, but I'm not quite sure about this.

I think there is plenty more to come on this and I'm still struggling to see it getting off the ground given all the threats and potential punishments being banded about.

But even if the idea of the ESL does collapse, the damage has already been done.

It's about the nut worst timing for us; still yet to wrap up the title, League Cup final this coming weekend and a Champions League semi on the horizon.

I do think the Champions League is a little outdated for 2021 and these new changes to that competition make it even worse, so I can see where the ESL clubs are coming from and the opportunity to protect their business and realise the full value of their product.

How fans view a club and how an owner views the club will rarely be aligned, and whether we like it or not, money talks (even more so during a pandemic).

I know Bayern and Dortmund are getting a lot of credit for turning down the advances to join but the reality is they would be signed on in a heartbeat if they were allowed.

Lots more to come on this, the fallout could be spectacular. Get the popcorn ready.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    No promotion, no relegation what are they playing for ?, oh that's right filthy lucre, and who is going to screen this ?, how much extra will they want ?, will it become like box office ? whatever it is it's the punter who will get fleeced.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

ha ha ha funny

It's a kick in the bo11ocks to genuine football fans and a total disregard to the rest of the football pyramid thats what i disagree with but you wouldn't understand that
    That is correct.

I dont understand why it is a kick in the b0ll0cks for genuine football fans, or pretending ones.
    I dont understand how it affects the football pyramid, if everything else stays the same.
    I just dont understand what you are disagreeing with.
    You havent made that very clear.

As I said earlier the 12 clubs involved are in debt to the tune of 7.5 billion.
    If this made them all profitable, surely that would be good for football.

There is a massive, world wide demand for top class football.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,029
    I'll bet my mortgage (if i had one) that China has it's grubby fingers in this somewhere down the line.
    They tried to build their own and failed so they will just buy one.
    Huge TV market there and in Asia.

Afterall they have all the money the world have given them over the last year.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

@Essexphil

Imagine you are a Man City footballer. Earning £5 million a year. Paid by Man City.

For the last few years, as well as playing in the EPL, you have been playing in the Champions League and for your Country. Earning money for Man City, your Employer, but also UEFA.

Your employer wants you to spend some of your Wednesdays playing in a different competition from the Champions League, because they think it will earn them (and you) more money.

Someone who is not your Employer (UEFA) says that if your Club ask you to do that, your club will be thrown out of this years' Champions League, are likely to be barred from playing in the EPL, and steps will be taken to bar you from playing in World/European Cups.

Restraint of trade? This would make the Bosman ruling look like a playground skirmish. UEFA don't have the money to pay if they lose. I doubt the UK Government has enough money.

There needs to be compromise. Soon. Or football is at severe risk.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    Essexphil said:

Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

@Essexphil

Imagine you are a Man City footballer. Earning £50 million a year. Paid by Man City.

For the last few years, as well as playing in the EPL, you have been playing in the Champions League and for your Country. Earning money for Man City, your Employer, but also UEFA.

Your employer wants you to spend some of your Wednesdays playing in a different competition from the Champions League, because they think it will earn them (and you) more money.

Someone who is not your Employer (UEFA) says that if your Club ask you to do that, your club will be thrown out of this years' Champions League, are likely to be barred from playing in the EPL, and steps will be taken to bar you from playing in World/European Cups.

Restraint of trade? This would make the Bosman ruling look like a playground skirmish. UEFA don't have the money to pay if they lose. I doubt the UK Government has enough money.

There needs to be compromise. Soon. Or football is at severe risk.
    FYP.

Bunch of mercenaries.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

ha ha ha funny

That is correct.

I dont understand why it is a kick in the b0ll0cks for genuine football fans, or pretending ones.
    I dont understand how it affects the football pyramid, if everything else stays the same.
    I just dont understand what you are disagreeing with.
    You havent made that very clear.

As I said earlier the 12 clubs involved are in debt to the tune of 7.5 billion.
    If this made them all profitable, surely that would be good for football.

There is a massive, world wide demand for top class football.
    well lets put it this way , you won't be seeing this again which is sad
    https://youtu.be/f1vO8TIUYUI
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

No promotion, no relegation what are they playing for ?, oh that's right filthy lucre, and who is going to screen this ?, how much extra will they want ?, will it become like box office ? whatever it is it's the punter who will get fleeced.

very true
    the only folks that get fleeced are the ones who want to buy it , the best part, if the treacherous 6 get kicked out the leagues , which they should imo , and play in the ESL there's only gonna be one winner so the rest of the teams and fans will be like the rest of us at the end of the season sitting there with diddly squat to show for it except like you say all that lovely money , its not fair on the fans , they want silverware and not playing dead rubbers three quarters through the season
  • Options
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    stokefc said:

Well that brings back some memories. "Power to the people" Wolfie. Tooting Popular Front. Iirc