You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Football Thread.

Comments

• Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,051
    I wonder how many of these rumours are true.
    Yesterday it emerged that one female board member had been held in a headlock after the last home game. Allegedly.
    If true, deplorable.
    That game was 12 days ago.
    There was no mention of it until yesterday.
    No rumours
    No mention on EFC website
    No police
    No social media
    No mobile phone footage
    Nothing.
    But suddenly that was used as a reason not to attend yesterday.

Blame the fans to deflect?

Something fishy?

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    Would the Everton owners want a relegation?
    Parachute payments to help fund the new stadium?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Fans have an emotional attachment to their clubs do you think these threats to kill would have been followed through as abhorrent as they are , it's reactionary due to the situation the club finds themselves in
    Peter Coates suffered the same thing with a few deckheed (Rab) Stoke fans back in the day , that storming of the directors area after that 0-7 Birmingham defeat forced him to sell up but he kept the (golden) shares as so to keep his hand in the club then Bet 365 exploded and he bought the club back due to the (golden) shares, he is a genuine fan after all
    The one thing i will say due to the threats from the (few) Denise Coates the brains behind Bet 365 wants nothing to do with Stoke City , she has a long memory so she leaves the play thing to the boys ,Dad Brother and Husband
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    stokefc said:

Fans have an emotional attachment to their clubs do you think these threats to kill would have been followed through as abhorrent as they are , it's reactionary due to the situation the club finds themselves in
    Peter Coates suffered the same thing with a few deckheed (Rab) Stoke fans back in the day , that storming of the directors area after that 0-7 Birmingham defeat forced him to sell up but he kept the (golden) shares as so to keep his hand in the club then Bet 365 exploded and he bought the club back due to the (golden) shares, he is a genuine fan after all
    The one thing i will say due to the threats from the (few) Denise Coates the brains behind Bet 365 wants nothing to do with Stoke City , she has a long memory so she leaves the play thing to the boys ,Dad Brother and Husband

It's not whether I believed it. The police did. And it is important to bear in mind that it is the Police who have to say a match is safe for it to be allowed to go ahead.

My point is that football is a part of life.

I don't know what you do for a living. But, just for my example, let's suppose you (or I) work providing certain services on a building site. Or are a self-employed tradesman.

If your Main Contractor finds fault with everything you do, are you happy to stay? Every club's fans pick on a player

If you have a choice of going to do 2 jobs, and one has always appreciated your efforts while the other has constantly found fault, which job are you going to? Ever wondered why Watford can't keep a Manager?

Similarly, if you know other tradesmen and value their opinion and they gave similar opinions to the above, which job are you going to? Because Everton (amongst others) have burned through a lot of Managers.

And if someone you have previously worked for insists on a meeting at a time of their choosing to discuss a job where you did your best, that problems were caused by separate people, and you had spent a lot of extra time and money trying to resolve the mistakes of others, how happy would you be?

Fans are often part of the problem. Their fandom will sometimes not allow them to appreciate that it is often the case that someone might not be good enough. But they are doing their best. And that the fans' actions are making the problem worse.

And they don't deserve to be attacked in the way Football Managers, Directors and Players are.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

stokefc said:

It's not whether I believed it. The police did. And it is important to bear in mind that it is the Police who have to say a match is safe for it to be allowed to go ahead.

My point is that football is a part of life.

I don't know what you do for a living. But, just for my example, let's suppose you (or I) work providing certain services on a building site. Or are a self-employed tradesman.

If your Main Contractor finds fault with everything you do, are you happy to stay? Every club's fans pick on a player

If you have a choice of going to do 2 jobs, and one has always appreciated your efforts while the other has constantly found fault, which job are you going to? Ever wondered why Watford can't keep a Manager?

Similarly, if you know other tradesmen and value their opinion and they gave similar opinions to the above, which job are you going to? Because Everton (amongst others) have burned through a lot of Managers.

And if someone you have previously worked for insists on a meeting at a time of their choosing to discuss a job where you did your best, that problems were caused by separate people, and you had spent a lot of extra time and money trying to resolve the mistakes of others, how happy would you be?

Fans are often part of the problem. Their fandom will sometimes not allow them to appreciate that it is often the case that someone might not be good enough. But they are doing their best. And that the fans' actions are making the problem worse.

And they don't deserve to be attacked in the way Football Managers, Directors and Players are.
    If the police had info that somebody may be attacked then fair enough tell them to stay away , what's gonna happen next week or the week after and so on

The work thing is a bit misleading imo , you are talking about you/me not thousands of fans or in Evertons case the whole stadium ,i have no emotional attachment to work non whatsoever , if i have to put some work right i will do it as i'm getting paid for it it's not costing me it's costing my boss and they would have to suffer the consequences due to employing bad tradesmen like it's gonna cost the Everton board when the sack Lampard they just have to make sure they get their next appointment right but i don't think the fans think they will due to their incompetence

While clubs are being run badly fans will always show discontent as you know , you're a fan and you would hate to be in their predicament , doing/trying to do their best is not good enough for the average fan when you're spending millions and players are earning millions while fans are paying through their ar$e for the privilage to watch players with no backbone , believe me i've been/am there

Good debate btw

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,036
    edited January 2023
    I suppose Arsenal will get charged yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSeT5URdHo
  • Options
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

I suppose Arsenal will get charged yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSeT5URdHo

Disgraceful @lucy4 and i hope they find and charge the lad , which they will
    This happend at Stoke and is much worse and embarrassing for my club , the lad was charged and banned for life which wasn't long he unfortunately died in a car crash
    https://youtu.be/euazYRvNog8
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,013
    He looked to be about 14, so I hope he is banned for years, rather than for life. Stupid boy.

The big surprise was that the 2 players who let themselves down at the time were Xhaka & Richarlison. My money would have been on Xhaka & Romero-2 players that you love if they play for your club, but not if they play for anyone else.

It was an odd game in many respects. Arsenal were utterly dominant in the first half, evens in the 2nd. And yet most of the best chances fell to Spurs.

Never really rated Ramsdale-but he had probably his best game in an Arsenal shirt. Whereas, sadly, that may well have been Lloris' last game in a Spurs shirt.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

@lucy4

Bet that was the highlight of his sad little life.
  • Options
    BBC apologises after viewers of FA Cup live broadcast forced to listen to Danny Murphy.

The BBC has apologised today after viewers were made to listen to the dulcet tones of Danny Murphy during last night’s FA Cup broadcast.

With coverage also appearing to include loud sex noises in the studio due to a prank involving a mobile phone, bosses at the BBC have today apologised for the sounds, heard clearly by viewers, that were coming out of Danny Murphy’s mouth.

A spokesperson for BBC confirmed, “Nobody wants to hear that. But unfortunately, he’s got a further 12-month contract as a pundit, so we are sort of obliged to broadcast those noises coming from his mouth.

“We are aware of some unwelcome audio being transmitted during last night’s coverage of the FA Cup tie on BBC1 and we would like to apologise for any offence caused.

“Obviously viewers expect more from us, and do not wish to be subjected to such embarrassing and unwanted utterances while they try to enjoy the football.

“Unfortunately, we can confirm that Danny Murphy and indeed Paul Ince will probably get another go at being a pundit, because we’ve already paid them.
  • Options
    Tottenham director Fabio Paratici handed football ban as Juventus docked 15 points.

Tottenham director Fabio Paratici has been handed a two-and-a-half year suspension after the Turin Public Prosecutor's Office investigation into 'false accounting' and 'market manipulation' at Juventus.

https://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/breaking-fabio-paratici-tottenham-juventus-26036383