You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

General Election

Comments

• legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 157
    They’re , Labour that is , no good either
    Union puppets
    choices are very poor especially when all this trouble round the world is happening , defence spending is a must ..Labour’s can’t do it as unions will scream fae rooftops . it’s a must . !!!!
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,832
    Look who doesn't want to lose his deposit.

• DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,963
    legascaac said:

They’re , Labour that is , no good either
    Union puppets
    choices are very poor especially when all this trouble round the world is happening , defence spending is a must ..Labour’s can’t do it as unions will scream fae rooftops . it’s a must . !!!!

We have the smallest military we have ever had for 300 years. It is seriously a question that if you take our Nukes out of the equation could we survive hold of an invasion from 1940s Russia and Germany let alone the modern day.

As is with everything in this country the tories have stripped it bare to give all the money to their rich friends through consulation fees or other warped methods.

Whenever the tories talk about spending on anything what they really mean is say were spending on that but find ways to strip it and ship all the money to our rich friends.

Labour may not be ideal but at least with Labour we stand a chance in actually rebuilding our stripped to the bones military.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,579
    If you think Labour will spend money on defence your deluded.

If you think Labour will spend money on defence your deluded.

Well the tories wont they will just give it to their rich mates. We are better of saving the money by spending none then giving it to the tories rich mates.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,242
    edited May 24
    So curious when do we get to see the parties manifestos? I am sure @HAYSIE will be quick to update us all when the manifestos come out.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906

Quite sad to see Michael Gove won't be standing. Maybe he'd have lost his seat anyway, but he was quite an interesting character. That's not to say I agreed with anything he done or his political idealogy, I just like to see characters in politics.

Curiously, I believe he was "Minister for Levelling Up", & as far as I can see, "Levelling Up" (whatever that means) does not even exist. Incred. Invest in the rest of the UK (allegedly), then scrap the Northern Legs of HS2. Can't make it up.

If we go all the way back to the Thatcher Government, or even further, to Harold Wilson's Labour Government (there you go, balance) which were roughly 40 & 60 years ago respectively, I can still, to this day, remember & name every Cabinet Minister. (Spitting Image helped in the case of Thatcher's crew). Sunak's Cabinet? I'd struggle to name more than 3 or 4. And even then only because of their sheer incompetence. (Hello Grant Shapps).
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,412
    The big problem is that we have a two party system and when those two parties are both incompetent there is not a lot the public can do to improve things.

Things Can Only Get Better by D-Ream was a great song used by 'new' Labour in their 1997 campaign. I think D-Ream need to re release it as 'Things Won't get Any Better'
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,501
    edited May 25
    Completely agree about Gove. Wanted to be King. But better as a dependable right-hand man. There are plenty of former politicians who I disagreed with but nevertheless admired. To use a Labour equivalent-John McDonnell.

I yearn for the days when politicians-all politicians-chose Politics as their 2nd Career. Not their 1st.

When all MPs had done real jobs. Where they were exposed to real people. With real problems. Didn't matter if they were a Lawyer. A Factory Worker. They gained real life perspective.

Now? (Please note you could replace the word Tory with the word Labour)

Went to University. Did a degree with no practical application. Not 1 that is competitive to get in. Already Head of Tory students at Uni. On leaving Uni, worked for a Tory think tank, and/or volunteered for a Tory MP. Became Tory Councillor-became known for getting in the news, rather than being the 1 to actually get things done. Stood unsuccessfully in impossible seat once or twice, before being parachuted in to a safe seat where they had no previous connection.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 34,846
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,501
    edited May 25
    Favourite hysterical headline above?

"Starmer would be the most dangerous and left-wing PM since the 1970s". Says Boris.

Total number of Labour PMs since the 1970s? 2. Blair. And Brown. That's it.

Not only that, I believe he is in the middle of the 3 politically-more to the Left than Blair. And less than Brown

While I am on the subject, that presumably means that Starmer is less left wing and/or dangerous than a Labour PM in the 1970s. Which one? Wilson? Or Callaghan?

Neither of them were particularly far to the Left. And certainly not dangerous.
  • legascaaclegascaac Member Posts: 157
    Labour will not spend on defence Tory’s were funding it by job cuts at the department. Labour can’t do that or unions will go loopy at the job cuts . Civil servants jobs to be cut about 12000 that won’t happen under Labour leadership
    Tories have messed up
    Labour don’t have a plan especially on defence and that needs doubled at least , NHS , roads , care sector does anyone know , a don’t think they know themselves
    Sorry state for our country to be in
    When mad man Putin ramping up production off weapons
    Political parties need to wake and get in touch with their people who vote for them .

Reform? How well do you all , Think they will do ? Not sure myself maybe ok as rest are a mess
    well we need to do something for our military would these 18 year olds be expected to fight and be sent to war if necessary? not sure what I think of that but it is important to know what we are talking about?
  • mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,802
    Bravo for whoever thought of this 11th hour crowd pleasing idea to rescue their re-election chances.

If it was already in place or in the pipeline it would be credible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 166,906
    mumsie said:

Bravo for whoever thought of this 11th hour crowd pleasing idea to rescue their re-election chances.

If it was already in place or in the pipeline it would be credible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cpddxy9r4mdo

@mumsie

Amazing, isn't it? Never once mentioned, hinted or alluded to it while in Office. Announce a GE, then 3 days later, boom, we will do this that or the other.

I think what annoys me most is their assumption that we are so stupid we can't see through all this nonsense. When in fact they are the stupid ones for thinking they could get it through without us realising the score.

• EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,412
    Just imagine if they did bring back national service, within weeks there would be numerous complaints and probably suicides (there are suicides among those that want to join the armed forces, let alone those that are forced to).

In my view national service would actually be good for 80% of those that went through it, the problem is the other 20%, it may well break them, they're a fragile lot nowadays.