You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Boris Johnson: Tories allowed migration to soar because we couldn’t stack shelves

HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
edited October 14 in The Rail
illegal migrant figure spark outrage as UK now has highest number in Europe We want to kick them out

New illegal migrant figures spark outrage as UK now has 'highest number in Europe': 'We want to kick them out!'

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/new-illegal-migrant-figures-spark-outrage-as-uk-now-has-highest-number-in-europe-we-want-to-kick-them-out/ar-AA1rPqDG?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=b94afe5c2a1e4a7b83011d23095ca3f6&ei=101

Comments

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,578
    How much more xenophobic and inhumane can we get? I wish the media would think about people more.
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    Let me see why we have the highest rate of illegal migrants in Europe. Could it be because:-

1. We call every such migrant an "illegal migrant" before assessing their case. While pretty much everywhere else decides what is appropriate after consideration; and
    2. We are taking years to process these claims. Wasting enormous amounts of money. Instead of processing people fairly, deporting the baseless ones and allowing the accepted ones to work and pay taxes

As a Nation we voted for Brexit. To stand on our own 2 feet. Stop blaming every other Country for our failure to act.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168,320
    edited October 8

How much more xenophobic and inhumane can we get? I wish the media would think about people more.

@kapowblamz

100% this.

These are real people. Just because they are Asian, or Muslim or whatever they may be, does not make them lesser people in any way. We ALL deserve the chance to better ourselves in life, & if it marginalises our cosy existence here in the UK, so what?

There are people living in horrendous conditions trying to come here, it must come as a bit of a shock to them that our worst problems are unrepaired potholes or some wannabe female celeb on Strictly upset because her professional dance partner shouted at her once.
    Tikay10 said:

@kapowblamz

100% this.

These are real people. Just because they are Asian, or Muslim or whatever they may be, does not make them lesser people in any way. We ALL deserve the chance to better ourselves in life, & if it marginalises our cosy existence here in the UK, so what?

There are people living in horrendous conditions trying to come here, it must come as a bit of a shock to them that our worst problems are unrepaired potholes or some wannabe female celeb on Strictly upset because her professional dance partner shouted at her once.
    This topic seems as divisive Brexit.

It is a proper catch 22.
    In order to apply for asylum, applicants have to be on our shores.
    We therefore create the market for the people smugglers.
    As well as being responsible for children being trampled to death in boats, as well as many people drowning.
    I think 50 so far this year.
    These are the results of the system we created.

Whatever anyone thought of the Rwanda plan, it would have immediately stopped the boats.
    Assuming it could have been implemented.
    Nobody would have paid 5k to a people smuggler, if they were definitely going to whisked off to Rwanda immediately after arriving.

To have no control of our borders would seem stupid.
    We have been completely incompetent in dealing with the problem.
    To be in the hands of the people smugglers as to how many arrive also seems stupid.
    As does spending £8billion per year in hotel bills, to put them up.
    Although as @Essexphil pointed out the other day, the small boat people only make up a small percentage of our net migration.

I read an article the other day that suggested that were around 170 million displaced people in the world.
    We surely have to limit how many we can take.

I watched a Sky News report the other day about homeless people.
    They seemed to resent the asylum seekers, and saw them as people that were put up in hotels, and fed, while they struggle living on the streets with little help.

I believe that we should have a system that works.
    We should take our fair share, but be in control of the numbers.
    We seem incompetent in processing applications in a reasonable time.
    There is no excuse for this.

I dont know when the US introduced their controls on arrivals, but it was many years ago.
    You have to question why we havent followed suit by now.
    This would at least enabled us to know who was here.

I watched a programme about illegal immigration years ago.
    We just go around in circles.
    We cant deport any illegal unless we know where they are from.
    So they never carry their passports, and dont keep them at their home address.
    We catch them working, have no idea where they are from.
    We then have to bail them, allowing them to disappear elsewhere.
    In the programme I saw, they caught one guy, and three weeks later caught him again, and just repeated the process.
    People regularly overstay visas, and we seem to have no control.
    Unfortunately some of them will become victims of modern slavery.
    It is an absolute shambles.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 168,320
    edited October 8

@HAYSIE

I agree it's a proper mess, but let's not dehumanize them. They are people looking for a better life. That's a basic human right, or it should be.
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

I agree it's a proper mess, but let's not dehumanize them. They are people looking for a better life. That's human right, or it should be.

We shouldnt.
    edited October 8
    It's so sad that the politics is won and lost based on immigration in the UK. Everyone seems to blame the politicians for that, but they're just doing their job - enacting the people's will. So the UK has, literally, an electorate made up of mostly bigots.

Personally, I hope the electorate can learn to humanize humans within a generation or two.

It's so sad that the politics is won and lost based on immigration in the UK. Everyone seems to blame the politicians for that, but they're just doing their job - enacting the people's will. So the UK has, literally, an electorate made up of mostly bigots.

Personally, I hope the electorate can learn to humanize humans within a generation or two.

I just dont see that.
    I think that the highest taxes for 70 years, the NHS not working, their cronies, and lies, had more to do with the Tory massacre than immigration.
    If no immigration was a priority then Reform would have been elected.

Where do you think legislation comes from?

I dont think that to suggest that £8billion per year could be better spent elsewhere, or that controlling our borders is just sensible, dehumanises anyone.
    Or that to point out that our already stretched public services could do without further stretching.

Dont forget that every single person that has arrived on a small boat has passed through several safe countries without applying for asylum.
    So I suppose you could argue that none of them are actually fleeing persecution, as they were already safe in the countries that they arrived at previously.

I just think we should have an immigration system that works.
    I am not against helping people.
    It is just foolish to think we can help all of them.
    edited October 8
    The anti immigration is all to win votes. Pretty much everything is just to win votes. The tax issues don't impact the results enough seemingly.

Universities have stopped a lot of the foreign students, and many people have lost jobs, just to incite votes from the bigots. When seats hang on a fine balance the best metric to adjust is the immigration policies no matter how ruthless or idiotic.

Want to win an election? Target immigration.

I'm not even going to debate about the humanity of someone crossing the channel on a dinghy, often with their children, and whether they had been running from a life of persecution or not.

Most people are so dogmatic about immigration, myself included, yet they've never spent 5 minutes with someone from a dinghy, nor have they spent 5 minutes in an illegal immigration scenario, on either side of a border, and tried to solve the problems.
    edited October 8
    Reform don't get in because it's a two horse race media wise but the fact that party even manifested, and has wheels, says a lot.
    edited October 8

The anti immigration is all to win votes. Pretty much everything is just to win votes. The tax issues don't impact the results enough seemingly.

Reform, and the Tories made the most of immigration.

Universities have stopped a lot of the foreign students,

There are less foreign students due to changes in the visas.
    They stopped issuing family visas for students, and got less applications.

and many people have lost jobs, just to incite votes from the bigots. When seats hang on a fine balance the best metric to adjust is the immigration policies no matter how ruthless or idiotic.

Our net migration is at its highest ever level.

Want to win an election? Target immigration.

As I said earlier that didnt seem to work for the Tories or Reform.
    Labour won a landslide after promising to stop Rwanda.

I'm not even going to debate about the humanity of someone crossing the channel on a dinghy, often with their children, and whether they had been running from a life of persecution or not.

Every single person that crosses the channel in a small boat has passed through several safe countries, without applying for asylum, before getting in the boat, and has also parted with thousands of Euros.

Most people are so dogmatic about immigration, myself included, yet they've never spent 5 minutes with someone from a dinghy, nor have they spent 5 minutes in an illegal immigration scenario, on either side of a border, and tried to solve the problems.

I dont get the relevance of the last bit.

So are you saying that we should just continue to welcome everyone that arrives on a small boat, put them up in four star hotels, give them 3 meals per day, and a few quid every week, indefinitely, irrespective of how many there are?
    Compare that to how we treat our homeless, that live on the street in all weathers, and dont have to worry about losing any Winter heating allowance.

I believe we should help those immigrants forget about the **** they've been living so far, yes. As should everyone worldwide, with open arms.

The homeless situation is a tricky one. You will hear this help the homeless rhetoric but the reality is its a mental health crisis. Homeless people almost everywhere in the country have somewhere they can sleep at night but they actually choose not to. They are fully autonomous in their homelessness choices. It's almost exclusively due to mental health or addiction.

I believe we should help those immigrants forget about the **** they've been living so far, yes. As should everyone worldwide, with open arms.

However many that arrive?

The homeless situation is a tricky one. You will hear this help the homeless rhetoric but the reality is its a mental health crisis. Homeless people almost everywhere in the country have somewhere they can sleep at night but they actually choose not to. They are fully autonomous in their homelessness choices. It's almost exclusively due to mental health or addiction.

I dont think that is the case.

UK sees largest annual jump in estimated population size since 1971

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/uk-sees-largest-annual-jump-100526834.html

Total of 973 migrants cross Channel in busiest day of year so far

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/total-973-migrants-cross-channel-123118038.html
    Tikay10 said:

@HAYSIE

I agree it's a proper mess, but let's not dehumanize them. They are people looking for a better life. That's a basic human right, or it should be.

People who have lived in UK for decades fear being ‘locked out’ by eVisas

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/people-lived-uk-decades-fear-133946942.html

Thousands of migrants leave UK but backlog of asylum cases reaches 225k

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/thousands-of-migrants-leave-uk-but-backlog-of-asylum-cases-reaches-225k/ar-AA1s0ENK?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=757c178559024995a69b82aac307f6c0&ei=64#fullscreen

Keir Starmer's 'smash gangs' pledge 'in tatters' after 12,900 migrants arrive in 3 months

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/keir-starmer-s-smash-gangs-pledge-in-tatters-after-12-900-migrants-arrive-in-3-months/ar-AA1s2kpZ?ocid=msedgntp&pc=NMTS&cvid=b76a900c086a4995bfafc2a61a0f92b9&ei=128#fullscreen