You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Boris Johnson: Tories allowed migration to soar because we couldn’t stack shelves

Comments

• Angela124Angela124 Member Posts: 89
    We need to get a grip on reality and start taking this as a serious threat to Britain's future. The reality is our country is skint....We have to sort out our own Housing, Education, NHS, Pension and welfare systems to name a few before we spend billions upon billions in trying to play mother Theresa to the world. We would love to help everyone but in reality we cant. We should get our own problems fixed first then we would be in a better position to help more people but until then we should be deporting all migrants not fleeing persicution immediately. Poland, Hungary etc... have the right stance on this. And as @HAYSIE said a lot of these people travel through safe countries to get to us. Because all tho these countries are safe we roll out the red carpet to them. It is not sustainable and will seriously damage/weaken our country on the world stage
    If we are not careful and sort this out now, We could have a far right government in control of this country in the next 20 years and no one wants that
  • kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,578
    edited October 10
    Angela124 said:

We need to get a grip on reality

Are you in the know about the reality? And if you do know can you help me out on the economics of immigration? Where do you get all your info? The media rhetoric can be misleading, tho i try to pay little attention to that.

As far as I am aware the fastest and most efficient way to increase GDP, as demonstrated in the states showing world leading growth, like Sweden or Rwanda, is to welcome immigrants with open arms and offer them a better life. After that, the key mechanism is to employ them quickly and build industry so that the country can experience rapid growth and make everybody within the country better off.

The current situation in the UK is unfortunate. We have a mostly xenophobic and racist electorate. That coupled with a government who's only goal is to stay in power equates to our nations economy being stunted on it's potential.

Could you offer some data on why this is not the case?

Could you also offer some reasoning as to why if more people do indeed increase GDP, then why killing two birds with one stone by allowing foreigners who have suffered badly for most of their lives to live here would be such a wholly bad idea?
    edited October 10
    As demonstrated in the states? The states is 125th in the world for real GDP growth in 2024 and the United Kingdom is in 187th place according to the International Monetary Fund world economic database.....Before i answer this in full i shall throw your questions right back at you....

What is your education in world economics?
    What is your Education on Immigration?
    Where do you get your info?
    You really believe most the population are xenophobic because we they care about there country and don't employ the attitude to in your own words welcome all migrants with open arms like you do. Lets have (60 million move here in 5 years and make us the worlds leading economy according to your philosophy).
    What industry do you talk of that is going to employ all these hundreds of thousands of people?
    where will you house these people and to who's cost?
    where will you find the money to rapidly build all the new schools for the extra tens of thousands of people needing them?
    Can you offer some data on why this is not the case and your sources?

And on your last comment I cannot offer some reasoning for it as i do not believe thats the case but it is your belief so maybe again you could offer the stats and sources for this?

I assume since you challenged me on these things you will have a vast experience and a high level of education on these matters. And will be able to answer these questions with ease

I shall respond with a more detailed response after i stop playing poker

edited October 10
    I would add that most other countries that use immigrants to boost their economies do not have minimum wage standards like we do thus employing thousands on pitiful wages to build their countries that is why human slavery is higher nowadays than it has ever been. Luckily we don't live in a country that promotes human slavery and that is exactly how these countries can grow their economies fast.
    Angela124 said:

I assume since you challenged me on these things you will have a vast experience and a high level of education on these matters. And will be able to answer these questions with ease

You misunderstood. There was no challenge at all because you already said you know the reality. I was simply asking what that reality was.
    edited October 10
    Here are a few pieces related to the GDP topic:

https://obr.uk/box/net-migration-forecast-and-its-impact-on-the-economy/

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/about-department/fiscal-effects-immigration-uk

https://iasservices.org.uk/the-effect-of-immigration-on-the-uk-economy/

With regard to housing etc. There are tried and tested solutions to all of those issues. Obviously they don't happen overnight but they do work, you'll be glad to know.

Fundamentally though, all of this is completely irrelevant when it comes to my personal stance. I believe that if a person or a family are suffering, and many have had a life full of trauma, then all i want to do is help them. I could not just turn them away. They are fellow humans. It is not optional.
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
    edited October 10

Angela124 said:

We need to get a grip on reality

Are you in the know about the reality? And if you do know can you help me out on the economics of immigration? Where do you get all your info? The media rhetoric can be misleading, tho i try to pay little attention to that.

As far as I am aware the fastest and most efficient way to increase GDP, as demonstrated in the states showing world leading growth, like Sweden or Rwanda, is to welcome immigrants with open arms and offer them a better life. After that, the key mechanism is to employ them quickly and build industry so that the country can experience rapid growth and make everybody within the country better off.

The current situation in the UK is unfortunate. We have a mostly xenophobic and racist electorate. That coupled with a government who's only goal is to stay in power equates to our nations economy being stunted on it's potential.

Could you offer some data on why this is not the case?

Could you also offer some reasoning as to why if more people do indeed increase GDP, then why killing two birds with one stone by allowing foreigners who have suffered badly for most of their lives to live here would be such a wholly bad idea?
    I think it is more about common sense.
    We had the biggest population rise ever last year.
    This was despite the fact that more people died than were born, again for the first time ever.
    We have a baclog of 225,000 asylum seekers.
    That is 225,000 hotel bills ever day, 3 meals per day, and a few quid to spend.
    We do not allow them to work.
    Some of the applications take years to process.
    Many of them appeal against the decision, if their application fails.
    Many of the lawyers representing them are forever looking for loopholes.
    The lawyers are obviously another cost.
    Every single one of the people that have arrived on small boats will have travelled through several safe countries, before getting to us.
    It is therefore impossible to argue that they are fleeing war, or persecution.
    HAYSIE said:

They are fleeing bad lives. If they were happy they would stay. They desperately need our help. They are not cattle.

HAYSIE said:

They are fleeing bad lives. If they were happy they would stay. They desperately need our help. They are not cattle.
    How can you say that when they all travel through a number of safe countries without applying for asylum.

HAYSIE said:

There is obviously criteria required for a successful asylum application.
    I dont think fleeing bad lives would be enough to qualify.

There were a few articles the other day about asylum seekers who were converting to Christianity after they got here to avoid being deported.
    On the basis that they might be persecuted for being Christians, if they were sent back home.
    So they went to church a couple of times, got a reference off the Vicar.
    Then stopped going to Church as soon as their application was successful.
    Others have pretended to be gay, whilst living with and impregnating women at the same time.
    HAYSIE said:

How can you say that when they all travel through a number of safe countries without applying for asylum.

Here is an article from the redcross with regards to that. It is so sad the situations that a lot of these people find themselves in. Hopefully we can stop their pain, don't you agree?
    HAYSIE said:

There were a few articles the other day about asylum seekers who were converting to Christianity after they got here to avoid being deported.
    On the basis that they might be persecuted for being Christians, if they were sent back home.
    Others have pretended to be gay, whilst living with and impregnating women at the same time.

Yes you're right. They are so desperate because of how bad their lives at home are. What horrendous trauma they must have been through to act in such a way as to not have to return. Hopefully their actions lead to a better life for them.

Here are a few pieces related to the GDP topic:

https://obr.uk/box/net-migration-forecast-and-its-impact-on-the-economy/

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/about-department/fiscal-effects-immigration-uk

https://iasservices.org.uk/the-effect-of-immigration-on-the-uk-economy/

With regard to housing etc. There are tried and tested solutions to all of those issues. Obviously they don't happen overnight but they do work, you'll be glad to know.

Fundamentally though, all of this is completely irrelevant when it comes to my personal stance. I believe that if a person or a family are suffering, and many have had a life full of trauma, then all i want to do is help them. I could not just turn them away. They are fellow humans. It is not optional.

I thought we were putting up the 225,000 in hotels, because we already have a housing shortage.

HAYSIE said:

Yes you're right. They are so desperate because of how bad their lives at home are. What horrendous trauma they must have been through to act in such a way as to not have to return. Hopefully their actions lead to a better life for them.
    So why dont they apply for asylum on arrival in the first safe countrty?
    Others are Ferrari driving burglars that have been already deported twice.

HAYSIE said:

Here is an article from the redcross with regards to that. It is so sad the situations that a lot of these people find themselves in. Hopefully we can stop their pain, don't you agree?
    I agree that we should help some of them.
    But we should be in control, and common sense dictates that we should set a limit.
    I wonder what the response would be if the government said that they would have to increase income tax, to pay for asylum seeker hotel bills, food, benefits, and legal fees?
    edited October 10
    Haysie said "I wonder what the response would be if the government said that they would have to increase income tax, to pay for asylum seeker hotel bills, food, benefits, and legal fees?"

Or everyone with a spare room/rooms should be made to fill them with asylum seekers and be made to do their bit! why not going by kapowblamz philosophy.
    I admire your compassion Kapowblamz but to let everyone in is just absolutely ludicrous at the cost of current/future generations
    Angela124 said:

Or everyone with a spare room/rooms should be made to fill them with asylum seekers and be made to do their bit!

I absolutely agree with this. Great idea.
    edited October 10
    You should lead by example and take the lead. I highly doubt it tho
    Angela124 said:

You should lead by example and take the lead. I highly doubt it tho

Considering everything I've said you highly doubt i would want to help out?

How do you figure that one out?