You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Boris Johnson: Tories allowed migration to soar because we couldn’t stack shelves

124»

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
    Essexphil said:

Try and look for how many people are currently here on Health and Care Worker Visas. If you can find it, you are a better man than me.

It's a 5-year Visa. My best guess is that there are about 250,000 people here on that Visa, plus Dependants (although that is now being curtailed). The vast majority being Care Workers.

I agree that the Majority of Care Workers do not earn £29k a year. The suspicion has always been that the Care Homes are charged £29k a year, and the "agency" they get these workers from charges a high percentage of that for handling the Visas, arranging the Workers etc

And that quite a few of those agencies are, er, people smugglers...

It is a farce.
    How difficult is it to formulate an immigration policy that works, and how long will it take?
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,602
    The short answer is that it is extremely difficult to do. Same is true for the whole world.

It doesn't have a permanent answer-simply because the World and its needs, coupled with both innovation and market forces, makes it ever-changing.

10 years ago-even 5 years ago-the Developed World was concentrating on how to stop the flow of people from the Third World.

Now? The World has changed. Countries like the UK have a shrinking workforce and a rapidly increasing Retired population. The latest mantra in Europe seems to be to get the under-30s in to do menial work, and ensure they are returned to their country of origin before they become an economic burden.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,279
    Modern day slavery....
    VespaPX said:

Modern day slavery....

Agree.

Rich nations taking taxpayers from poor countries. And returning them once they cease to be profitable.
  • Angela124Angela124 Member Posts: 89
    edited October 12
    I recently returned from an MSC Mediterranean cruise (Last week). It was my first cruise and probably my last (as it ain't for me, I like to be free to roam). The staff were the best thing about it (Everyone of them were so friendly and would call you by your name from the bar tenders to the cleaners (they were very good at what they do).

I noticed they had the name of the country they came from, under their name on their badge and after a few days I noticed most staff were from, The Philippines, Peru, Georgia, Kenya, Myanmar etc... Cant remember seeing any western European workers there prob was but they were certainly in the minority by a big margin if there was.

I got speaking to one guy at the bar he was from the Philippines and he said this was his third time working on a cruise ship (usually 6 month contracts). He worked 12 hour days sometimes more but 12 is the minimum, 7 days a week, Every week without a day off for the duration of the contract he worked for £6 euros an hour and believe me there is no slacking on these cruise ships. The cruise passengers were mainly Spanish, French, Italian, German, and English speaking countries and all the staff members i seen were multi lingual and could communicate with most the passengers (Very impressive). These guys are certainly Skilled workers

We started to say how bad they conditions were and they would never get away with it in Britain but were quickly humbled when he politely explained he loved it, as he couldn't make that much at home and this was his last contract before he returns to the Philippines to put himself through university.

Before our holiday I would have classed this as a form not far from slave labour. But to these people it generally is seen as a good opportunity These people don't see it from our point of view and really are happy to be there.

Human Trafficking/ Modern day Slavery will be one of the biggest stains on our time (The world) when we look back at our time in the history books. Nothing has progressed on that front for thousands of years its big big business, they just package it in ever more carefully and concealed ways.
    I have long suspected that there is an agenda behind the Tory Government's obsession with "illegal" immigration via small boats.

Because the desperate come here without a clear plan. Or, more accurately, a clear plan where people can make a profit out of them.

Lots of fuss about them. While letting in record numbers of "legal" immigrants. Pre-2010 I think the record number of immigrants in a year was about 200,000, and usually 100,000. Whereas in the last few years there have been 800,000 coming in just counting work and study visas.

There is profit to be made. From the owners of the Universities (note how Lecturers have never received significant pay rises), to slum landlords. To pricing out British workers in various industries. The list goes on.

I genuinely believe the main reason for Tory politicians' obsession with small boats boils down to just 2 things:-

1. To win votes; and
    2. To distract attention away from the massive increase in "legal" migration

Quick question. We let in hundreds of thousands on "Healthcare" visas. Anyone know why never seem to award any to suitable people who came here illegally?
    Quick response (Without thinking much)......

Beacause they have already broken the Law by coming here. By awarding them with a Job would only encourage more people to come. If someone breaks the law here if they are not Jailed or fined they generally get unpaid work orders. So to have someone break the law then be awarded a paid Job would be double standards.

I'm prepared to have my **** skelped with this response....it was just off the top of my head

• kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,578
    edited October 12
    It's all to cater to the people's will a la democracy, as they should. That being a bigoted aging generation. The politicians only have an intent of re-election.

The universities are suffering badly now, with huge amounts of redundancies, because of the new foreign student visa rules. It was a late vote grabbing tactic.
    The Bigoted aging population?
    You sound woke, Are you experiencing white guilt.
    That's a few times you have referred to the British population as xenophobic, racist or bigoted.
    If we don't agree with you and your views then we are racist or the likes, sounds very woke to me
    edited October 12
    I subscribe to logic and quantifiable unbiased truths only. I am also empathetic. Whatever labels you can attach to that then go ahead and do so.
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,388

It's all to cater to the people's will a la democracy, as they should. That being a bigoted aging generation. The politicians only have an intent of re-election.

The universities are suffering badly now, with huge amounts of redundancies, because of the new foreign student visa rules. It was a late vote grabbing tactic.

Anybody that is auld are bigoted now ?, thats a sweepin statement.

I subscribe to logic and quantifiable unbiased truths only. I am also empathetic. Whatever labels you can attach to that then go ahead and do so.

You are Empathetic I'll give you that (A very commendable trait indeed)
    But for logical and unbiased truths, That I cannot agree with

• goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,953
    rabdeniro said:

Anybody that is auld are bigoted now ?, thats a sweepin statement.

That's not what I said and nor, in my statement, did i assert my opinion. I'm just laying out the fact that the over 45s are more likely to be anti immigration. It's also the case that the less educated are more likely to be anti immigration.

Source:

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-of-concern/
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,790
    Italy sends the first ship with migrants to Albania as rights groups warn of a dangerous precedent.

ROME (AP) — Italy is transferring the first group of migrants to Albania, the Interior Ministry said Monday, as part of a contentious plan to process thousands of asylum-seekers outside its borders.

A naval ship departed from the island of Lampedusa with 16 men — 10 from Bangladesh and six from Egypt — who were rescued at sea after departing from Libya. The ship is expected to arrive Wednesday morning, a ministry spokesman said.

Premier Giorgia Meloni’s far-right government on Friday formally opened the two centers in Albania where Italy plans to process thousands of male migrants requesting asylum after being intercepted in international waters while trying to cross to Europe.

The centers can accommodate up to 400 migrants at first, with that expected to increase to 880 in a few weeks, according to Italian officials.

Women, children, older people and those who are ill or victims of torture will be accommodated in Italy. Families will not be separated.

The five-year deal was endorsed last year by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen as an example of “out-of-box thinking” in tackling the migration issue, but human rights groups say it sets a dangerous precedent.

A spokesman for the U.N. refugee agency, which has expressed serious concerns, said Monday that one of its teams was conducting an “independent mission” on board the ship to monitor the screening process.

The agency also known as UNHCR has agreed to supervise the first three months to help “safeguard the rights and dignity of those subject to it.”

The agreement, signed last year, calls for Albania to house up to 3,000 male migrants while Italy fast-tracks their asylum claims. The migrants will retain their right under international and EU law to apply for asylum in Italy and have their claims processed there.

The two centers will cost Italy 670 million euros ($730 million) over five years. The facilities will be run by Italy and are under Italian jurisdiction, while Albanian guards will provide external security.

Meloni and her right-wing allies have long demanded that European countries share more of the migration burden.

https://apnews.com/article/italy-albania-migration-centers-asylum-seekers-fb89f5aece2504bf0267180bc3fd1a7d
  • HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,392
    lucy4 said:

Italy sends the first ship with migrants to Albania as rights groups warn of a dangerous precedent.

ROME (AP) — Italy is transferring the first group of migrants to Albania, the Interior Ministry said Monday, as part of a contentious plan to process thousands of asylum-seekers outside its borders.

A naval ship departed from the island of Lampedusa with 16 men — 10 from Bangladesh and six from Egypt — who were rescued at sea after departing from Libya. The ship is expected to arrive Wednesday morning, a ministry spokesman said.

Premier Giorgia Meloni’s far-right government on Friday formally opened the two centers in Albania where Italy plans to process thousands of male migrants requesting asylum after being intercepted in international waters while trying to cross to Europe.

The centers can accommodate up to 400 migrants at first, with that expected to increase to 880 in a few weeks, according to Italian officials.

Women, children, older people and those who are ill or victims of torture will be accommodated in Italy. Families will not be separated.

The five-year deal was endorsed last year by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen as an example of “out-of-box thinking” in tackling the migration issue, but human rights groups say it sets a dangerous precedent.

A spokesman for the U.N. refugee agency, which has expressed serious concerns, said Monday that one of its teams was conducting an “independent mission” on board the ship to monitor the screening process.

The agency also known as UNHCR has agreed to supervise the first three months to help “safeguard the rights and dignity of those subject to it.”

The agreement, signed last year, calls for Albania to house up to 3,000 male migrants while Italy fast-tracks their asylum claims. The migrants will retain their right under international and EU law to apply for asylum in Italy and have their claims processed there.

The two centers will cost Italy 670 million euros ($730 million) over five years. The facilities will be run by Italy and are under Italian jurisdiction, while Albanian guards will provide external security.

Meloni and her right-wing allies have long demanded that European countries share more of the migration burden.

https://apnews.com/article/italy-albania-migration-centers-asylum-seekers-fb89f5aece2504bf0267180bc3fd1a7d

You must be telepathic.
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,790
    Paddington Bear given UK passport by Home Office.

The UK’s favourite anthropomorphic bear, Paddington, has been granted a British passport.

The character, full name Paddington Brown, was born and orphaned in Peru as a cub and arrived in London stowed away on a lifeboat.

The co-producer of the forthcoming third Paddington movie said the Home Office issued the specimen document to the character when the film’s production team asked for a replica for the movie.

“We wrote to the Home Office asking if we could get a replica, and they actually issued Paddington with an official passport – there’s only one of these,” Rob Silva told the Radio Times.

“You wouldn’t think the Home Office would have a sense of humour, but under official observations, they’ve just listed him as Bear.”

Paddington’s passport was issued meaning he is now allowed to travel abroad to visit his Aunt Lucy in his homeland.

While fans of the fictional bear have welcomed the news of the Home Office gesture, others have been critical of the move given the furore surrounding the government’s treatment of asylum seekers coming to the UK.

“If only the Home Office showed similar compassion to others forced to flee their country as it has done to Paddington,” wrote The Guardian’s Simon Hattenstone on X/Twitter.

Another person added, “I promised myself I wouldn’t beef a cartoon bear, but what do you mean the Home Office has the time to make citizen documents for Paddington?”

“Paddington’s been in the UK since 1958, so this is uncharacteristically speedy work by the Home Office,” said another, as one person joked, “How much marmalade did he give to Number 10?”

In 2022, false deportation notices for Paddington Bear were put up by staff on internal Home Office noticeboards in protest of refugees being deported to Rwanda under the Conservative government’s divisive plan.

The spoof notices said that the fictional bear was wanted for a pending relocation flight to Rwanda and added that he arrived illegally in the UK via boat and without a visa.

The group of staff who made the flyers, called ‘Our Home Office’ on X/Twitter, said at the time the bear arrived in the UK via a “clandestine irregular route, using a small boat”.

They added that Paddington “may have infiltrated important establishment networks including Buckingham Palace”, accompanied by an image of Queen Elizabeth sharing tea with the bear, as depicted in the late monarch’s platinum jubilee film.