You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Desperate for some advice!

splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
edited August 2011 in Community Help & Advice

The saga with my internet connection continues....

Ok so here is the story....

Right I have a desktop PC in my bedroom that uses a wireless adapter to connect to the wireless router downstairs. All was fine for two years. Then about a month ago, my connection would disappear for between 30 seconds and 5 minutes. This happened everyday for the last month at regular intervals throughout the day.

Please note that my wireless adapter has never lost connection to the router and during the periods when i lose connection it says the signal is excellent between itself and the router.

So the problem lies between the router and the internet.

I spent countless hours on the phone to Sky to sort it out, but they couldn't give me any answers. I was convinced it was either the router or the quality of Sky's broadband.

So last week i decided to leave Sky and join a new provider, which has finally been activated today. I completed the setup succesfully and all looks fine, until....

the same problem has occured again within the space of an hour. So now I'm back to square 1! (Although I'm happy i switched provider because im on a great deal.)

................................................................................................................................................

So what can the problem be? It's not my computer or wireless adapter because the same thing happens when my girlfriend uses her laptop at my house.

The router is not the problem because it's brand new.

I have been searching the internet for solutions and i may have found one. Before i do it though i want to see if anyone thinks it will work or has any better ideas?

The solution is to set my IP address to static. Here is the link that i will use to do this process. Does it look ok? Do you think it will work?

http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm

Thank you in advance for any responses.

I'm desperate to play the pokerz!

Martyn

Comments

• POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited May 2011
    Hi Slash
    In my opinion, this is not a good idea. It will make no difference to your computer staying connected to the internet. Also IP forwarding companies usually only give you a 30 day trial.

You can log on to most routers to change the settings. You have to set up the router using your password & user ID - when you are logged on to the router you can change settings for your wireless connection.

The most common problem is the default channel such as 4 or 6. some of these channels pick up interference from other local devices or wireless connections and cause constant disconnection problems, so I would suggest changing the channel to channel 11 as this seams to be the most compatible.

Remember though, if you change the channel on the router, you will also need to use the same channel when you log on using the wireless on the laptop. Most wireless devices on laptops can have the channel set to auto - but check just incase.

1. If you have the option in the router, set the connection to "Always On" 
    2. Change the wireless channel in the router settings to "Channel 11"
    3. Make sure the laptop wireless is configured to the same channel or Auto.

Regards
    Pokertrev

ps. this may work for years without ever being a problem, but as soon as you have a problem check your settings again as a power cut can put them back to the default settings and the problem will re-occur
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited May 2011
    I would say before doing anything else WIRE up your network and try it for a while - even if you have to use 20m cables from upstairs to downstairs - just try it. You need to know if evil wireless is the problem. I can even send you a long CAT5 cable (FOC) if you like. PM me.
  • splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited May 2011
    Thank you Trev I will give this go and see where we are at!

Nosey, the same thing happens to my girlfriends laptop when she comes round to my house. So surely it can't be a problem with both our wireless? If Trev's idea fails then il give this a go.

Thank you very much both of you.

Fingers crossed!
    edited May 2011
    Right then i managed to log into my routers settings and the current channel is 11 anyway.

Nosey, forgot to mention that the household computer downstairs is already connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Don't know if this makes a difference? That computer also suffers the same problems as me.

However, that one only seems to be affected when my one upstairs goes.

I don't think it has problems when the household comp is the only one being used. However, it is rarely used, whereas my computer is on all the time im in.
    edited May 2011
    Shall i try a different channel? I'm reading 1 or 6 or 11 are common. So shall i use a different one? Il try 9 see what happens.
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2011

I was having problems with a wireless connection, and after taking the advice of the techy trio, bonk, acidman and match-stick I bought a wireless adaptor thing.......

I've not been cut off or timed out once in 8 weeks :D

I just googled it and linked the first one, as I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at, but I'm sure someone can reccommend a good one.

It's just 2 plugs without wires, one plugs into the socket and connects to your router, the other connects to a socket and into the back of your PC.

Turn your PC on and you have a proper "wired" connection.

It's easy!!! (and that's coming from meeeeee)

Paid about 40 quid for mine btw.
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice!:
    I was having problems with a wireless connection, and after taking the advice of the techy trio, bonk, acidman and match-stick I bought a wireless adaptor thing....... I've not been cut off or timed out once in 8 weeks :Dhttp://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1366&bih=677&q=powerline+adaptor&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13461684795998035501&sa=X&ei=wRneTYTzOoap8AOb6dSACg&ved=0CGQQ8gIwAQ I just googled it and linked the first one, as I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at, but I'm sure someone can reccommend a good one. It's just 2 plugs without wires, one plugs into the socket and connects to your router, the other connects to a socket and into the back of your PC. Turn your PC on and you have a proper "wired" connection. It's easy!!! (and that's coming from meeeeee) Paid about 40 quid for mine btw.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Thank you mate, il see what everyone says first.

Il try and exhaust all free options first lol. 
    edited May 2011
    But even if you get your wireless connection up and running smoothly, you will still have the normal problems that are standard with wireless.......

This really is problem free, and is worth the upgrade regardless of how good your connection is at the moment........

I took abit of convincing, as up here we are sure that "change, is not good" ...... but I'm glad I got there in the end! Much faster.

edited May 2011
    Right then i managed to log into my routers settings and the current channel is 11 anyway. Nosey, forgot to mention that the household computer downstairs is already connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Don't know if this makes a difference? That computer also suffers the same problems as me. However, that one only seems to be affected when my one upstairs goes. I don't think it has problems when the household comp is the only one being used. However, it is rarely used, whereas my computer is on all the time im in.
    Posted by splashies
    So you have a PC connected to the router's switch via CAT5
    A PC connected via wireless (to the same router as the hard-wired PC?)
    Sometimes a laptop connected via wireless

Do you know the IP address of each device on your network (router and both PCs)?

edited May 2011
    I can send you that long cable if you PM me your address. I have one about 20m long. What it will do is simplify the setup by eliminating wireless. At least then you can rule it out if you continue to suffer these odd dropouts. I'm not saying the cable will be a full time solution but it'll help with troubleshooting.
    I can put it in the post Special Delivery so you get it tomorrow.
    I think it's worth a shot.

edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : So you have a PC connected to the router's switch via CAT5 A PC connected via wireless (to the same router as the hard-wired PC?) Sometimes a laptop connected via wireless Do you know the IP address of each device on your network (router and both PCs)?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Yes i should be able to easily find these.

Il hold off for the cable atm. Il see if changing the channel has worked first.

Gotta rush off to work now so il see what it's like when i get home tonight. Thanks again mate.
    edited May 2011
    Ok no probs. The offer still stands :)

edited May 2011
    Ok no probs. The offer still stands :)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Thanks mate if i have problems tonight il take you up on it. Also what do you think of DOHHHHHHH's suggestion?
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : Thanks mate if i have problems tonight il take you up on it. Also what do you think of DOHHHHHHH's suggestion?
    Posted by splashies
    Those things work great. I just put some in at home to run my Xbox over (as it's downstairs but my router is upstairs).
  • JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited May 2011
    [QUOTE]But even if you get your wireless connection up and running smoothly, you will still have the normal problems that are standard with wireless....... This really is problem free, and is worth the upgrade regardless of how good your connection is at the moment........ I took abit of convincing, as up here we are sure that "change, is not good" ...... but I'm glad I got there in the end! Much faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDmlY9yJZo&feature=related
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Splashies but I am also having problems that seem to be related to having wireless.

Can anyone confirm that these things are really that good? No disx probs in 8 weeks makes it sound like exactly what I am looking for.

Also, where did you get yours from please JJ? I'm guessing online. I really want to go out and get one today but just looked on PC-World site and they look much dearer on there than the one linked :-(. Anyone know a store I could get one from for around £40??

Thanks in advance,

JC
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited May 2011
    Yeah those plugs that DOHHHHHHH bought are great but before you splash out (pun intended) on any take nosey up on his offer of trying the cable.

At least then you will know if it's a problem with your wireless router signal or if it's a problem with your phone lines/sockets or general adsl quality in your area.

Did you get a new router supplied with your new provider ?

edited May 2011
    They're great, JC. Just remember you need a free power socket close to each device, unless you can find one of these adaptors that's 'inline' (but I've never seen an inline one).
    Then you just connect each device to the power adaptor via a CAT5 cable and it networks through the house power circuit. Works 99.9% of the time (I've never seen one not work).

edited May 2011

I've been through my pms, and I think this is the one I got. It looks like mine anyway. AM will confirm. 

I umm'd n arrr'd for ages about getting one, coz I'm tight, but v glad I did, had no problems at all since I started using them.

edited May 2011

In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : [QUOTE ]But even if you get your wireless connection up and running smoothly, you will still have the normal problems that are standard with wireless....... This really is problem free, and is worth the upgrade regardless of how good your connection is at the moment........ I took abit of convincing, as up here we are sure that "change, is not good" ...... but I'm glad I got there in the end! Much faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLDmlY9yJZo&feature=related Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread Splashies but I am also having problems that seem to be related to having wireless. Can anyone confirm that these things are really that good? No disx probs in 8 weeks makes it sound like exactly what I am looking for. Also, where did you get yours from please JJ? I'm guessing online. I really want to go out and get one today but just looked on PC-World site and they look much dearer on there than the one linked :-(. Anyone know a store I could get one from for around £40?? Thanks in advance, JC
    Posted by JohnConnor

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Network-Accessories/subcat/Powerline-Adapters

All they do is use your electrical house wiring as a network cable. You buy a twin pack, plug one into a wall socket next to your router, run a short network cable from that into your router. Then the second one plugs into a wall socket next to your pc and again, just run a short network cable to your pc from the adapter.

If your pc is in the same room as your router  you could just use a network cable as it's cheaper.
    edited May 2011
    It was either those or the Netgear ones which are now £50 on that page I posted.

Have a look DOHHHHH to see if they say dlink or netgear on them.