You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Desperate for some advice!

Comments

• JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for all your help guys.

Just managed to pick up a 30m Ethernet cable (it's quite a way upstairs) for 15 quid so if this works I'll be upgrading to one of those straight away.

Cheers,
    JC
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2011

Yeh it is D link.

Just looking at it reminded me that I clicked the security button on 1 when I first got it, and planned to click the other when I went downstairs......something I completely forgot to do!!!
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited May 2011
    lol, should be ok anyway, think hey only have security on them in case you're in a semi detached/ terraced house and the neighbours pick anything up through their wiring. Not sure how likely that would be though, can't see it happening myself.

It's not hurting anything to use it though.

• POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice!:
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : Thanks mate if i have problems tonight il take you up on it. Also what do you think of DOHHHHHHH's suggestion?
    Posted by splashies
    Hi Splash.
    These things are a great invention in my book - They are much more reliable than wireless.
    edited May 2011
    Thank you Trev I will give this go and see where we are at! Nosey, the same thing happens to my girlfriends laptop when she comes round to my house. So surely it can't be a problem with both our wireless? If Trev's idea fails then il give this a go. Thank you very much both of you. Fingers crossed!
    Posted by splashies
    Errrr - Unfortunately, yes it can be a problem with both wireless laptops, as you are losing the wireless connection at the router so neither of them will connect.

Direct Wired Cable or the new type of adapter for your sockets offer the fastest and most reliable download speeds in my opinion.

I have found in the past, for some strange reason, that if two or 3 people are connected to the router via wireless we lose connection for no apparent reason and the router re-boots. (Usually when I have Pocket Aces btw lol)
  • splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited May 2011
    Yeah those plugs that DOHHHHHHH bought are great but before you splash out (pun intended) on any take nosey up on his offer of trying the cable. At least then you will know if it's a problem with your wireless router signal or if it's a problem with your phone lines/sockets or general adsl quality in your area. Did you get a new router supplied with your new provider ?
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Yes mate i did. I got O2's best wireless box.

Right I just got in from work so lets see how long it holds out for. (Hopefully long enough to type this reply)

So to recap I have changed the channel on the router to channel 9.

I will be buying one of those adapter thingy's that JJ suggested anyway even if my internet is ok now. So that should help.

If I have problems tonight i will definitely take Nosey up on the offer. Thanks mate.
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : Yes mate i did. I got O2's best wireless box. Right I just got in from work so lets see how long it holds out for. (Hopefully long enough to type this reply) So to recap I have changed the channel on the router to channel 9. I will be buying one of those adapter thingy's that JJ suggested anyway even if my internet is ok now. So that should help. If I have problems tonight i will definitely take Nosey up on the offer. Thanks mate.
    Posted by splashies
    Ok Splash - you last posted at 8.48pm - so can we presume you have had NO problems or - You have no internet lol.
    edited May 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : Ok Splash - you last posted at 8.48pm - so can we presume you have had NO problems or - You have no internet lol.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    THIS

I had no problems at all last night. I was on from 8.30pm til 1.30am.

Trev if you have fixed my problem I will love you forever. I know one day of it running smoothly is a small sample size but im so happy! Don't want to count my chickens just yet but...

THANK YOU :)
    edited May 2011
    Allsorts of equipment in your house can interfere with your signal so changing channels can help eliminate this.

I just wish i'd advised you to try that, but I don't really run wireless except for a spare pc that rarely gets used so until I saw Trev mention it i'd forgotten all about changing channels.

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited May 2011
    Allsorts of equipment in your house can interfere with your signal so changing channels can help eliminate this. I just wish i'd advised you to try that, but I don't really run wireless except for a spare pc that rarely gets used so until I saw Trev mention it i'd forgotten all about changing channels.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Same here. Wireless is the devil! lol. I'm on a mission to rid the world of it.

Wires are cool.

edited May 2011
    The only thing I don't like about cables is having to make them up.

When I worked in a college we setup the whole network and some days I just couldn't get all of the strands of cable to make contact with the ends of the connector plugs. Talk about tilt.
    edited May 2011
    The only thing I don't like about cables is having to make them up. When I worked in a college we setup the whole network and some days I just couldn't get all of the strands of cable to make contact with the ends of the connector plugs. Talk about tilt.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Been there, done that. Not half as tilty as the older BNC type though!

These days I just take ready-made cables from work

edited May 2011
    Allsorts of equipment in your house can interfere with your signal so changing channels can help eliminate this. I just wish i'd advised you to try that, but I don't really run wireless except for a spare pc that rarely gets used so until I saw Trev mention it i'd forgotten all about changing channels.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    No worries mate, I switched to O2 for free and I'm getting a much better deal and faster broadband so I'm happy!

Thanks to everyone for their input. I really appreciate it!

Well done skypoker community!
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited May 2011
    The advice given to DOHHHHHHH was on the thread HERE.

If anyone is getting similar drop outs it might be worth checking the router settings just after a drop out and see if the DHCP lease has been renewed.  This could be causing drop outs.  There is usually a setting that says lease time x.  x is usually in seconds so increase it, if it's set for 3000 seconds make it 86400 which would be 1 day.
    edited May 2011
    The advice given to DOHHHHHHH was on the thread HERE . If anyone is getting similar drop outs it might be worth checking the router settings just after a drop out and see if the DHCP lease has been renewed.  This could be causing drop outs.  There is usually a setting that says lease time x.  x is usually in seconds so increase it, if it's set for 3000 seconds make it 86400 which would be 1 day.
    Posted by Machka
    Thanks!
    edited May 2011
    Well - I certainly hope I have been able to help - But you know a wired option is your best bet right?
    edited June 2011
    A quick update on my situation...

I bought a powerline adapter so i have a wired connection now on my desktop PC upstairs in my room.

Had it setup for 1 day now.....

and boom just had 2 drop outs in space of 20 mins.

This is soul destroying

:(
    edited June 2011
    Drops outs as in the whole of your internet connection has gone or just  playing on here ?
    edited June 2011
    When you suffer a "dropout" do you have ANY network connectivity? Can you PING your local router?

*edit we can provide instructions if you don't know how to use PING.

edited June 2011
    I don't know what PING is sorry...

Drop outs as in whole of internet