You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Desperate for some advice!

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice!:
    I don't know hat PING is sorry... Drop outs as in whole of internet
    Posted by splashies
    PING is a simple 'are you there?' tool. You should be able to PING your router (assuming it's not configured to ignore PING).

First you need to know the IP address of your router.

Click Start, Run & type CMD and press ENTER.
    That'll launch a command prompt.

At the command prompt type PING followed by SPACE and the IP address of the router followed by ENTER.

EG, say your router IP is 192.168.1.254 you'd type PING 192.168.1.254

You should then see the tool try four times and it'll tell you if it's got a reply or not (not = REQUEST TIMED OUT).

Typing EXIT will close the command prompt.

If you're not getting a reply then that indicates a local network problem. Give the PING a try now to familiarise yourself with it.

• splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited June 2011
    Ok done that and got this four times

Reply from "IP Address" bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    edited June 2011
    Ok done that and got this four times Reply from "IP Address" bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    Posted by splashies
    That's fine. Try it when you're next experiencing 'the problem' (you may have to be quick!) and see if it still replies or says REQUEST TIMED OUT
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : That's fine. Try it when you're next experiencing 'the problem' (you may have to be quick!) and see if it still replies or says REQUEST TIMED OUT
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Ok mate thanks.

I kinda want it to drop out now so i can test it.
    edited June 2011
    Just leave the command prompt open at all times with your PING command already typed in, ready to hit ENTER! :-D
  • belsibubbelsibub Member Posts: 2,527
    edited June 2011
    Just a quick question,you do have your router plugged in to the main incoming box and not an extension as these can give you problems.
    edited June 2011
    Just leave the command prompt open at all times with your PING command already typed in, ready to hit ENTER! :-D
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    "Destination host unreachable"
    edited June 2011
    Just a quick question,you do have your router plugged in to the main incoming box and not an extension as these can give you problems.
    Posted by belsibub
    You mean the phone line?

Thats plugged into a phone socket thingy in front room. (Obv using 1 of those filter thingys)
    edited June 2011
    If you only have 1 phone input box that must be the main 1 fitted by BT(or phone provider).But if there are multiple phone sockets in the house the rest are extensions from main usually of poorer standard wiring.The main 1 is normally a much bigger box and is the direct link to the outside phone line and is where the router should be fitted too.
    edited June 2011
    If you only have 1 phone input box that must be the main 1 fitted by BT(or phone provider).But if there are multiple phone sockets in the house the rest are extensions from main usually of poorer standard wiring.The main 1 is normally a much bigger box and is the direct link to the outside phone line and is where the router should be fitted too.
    Posted by belsibub
    No it's not plugged into the main box then, coz that is in the hallway. You reckon it could be as simple as that?
    edited June 2011
    Worth a try.I was told by an engineer you should always use the main box.
    edited June 2011
    Worth a try.I was told by an engineer you should always use the main box.
    Posted by belsibub
    Just had a look in my hallway and there is no main box as such...

The main telephone wire comes out from the wall and directly into a phone extension socket immediately adjacent to it. (Just like the socket in the front room)

I guess that must be the main one. Will be faffy putting the router in the hallway and somehow trying to get an ethernet cable from there to the front room for the main pc.

......................................................................................................................................

Also the router is currently pretty close to a radiator, can this cause an interference?

It had alreay been there for 2 years previous without this being a problem.
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited June 2011
    The signal quality deteriorates if you're running off any extensions so yes it's always better to run off your main socket.

Having said that, I run off an extension cable off the main socket and have no problems but it wouldn't take much for the quality to drop and for me to get problems.

edited June 2011
    The signal quality deteriorates if you're running off any extensions so yes it's always better to run off your main socket. Having said that, I run off an extension cable off the main socket and have no problems but it wouldn't take much for the quality to drop and for me to get problems.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Is it worth getting an expert in now? Coz iv tried so many things.
    edited June 2011
    Might be worth trying some new filters first that you're using on your phone lines. Have you got any spare ones ?

Might be worth getting somebody in after that.

edited June 2011
    Might be worth trying some new filters first that you're using on your phone lines. Have you got any spare ones ? Might be worth getting somebody in after that.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Yes put new filters on when the new router arrived.

Right it just dropped out again. So i did the another PING test but this time it received a response! Whereas earlier it didn't!

Just ran the "Diagnose and Repair" in Network and Sharing Centre when the drop out occured. This is what is said...

Windows confirmed that www.microsoft.com is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time.

This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking "World Wide Web service (HTTP)". Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection.

What do you make of this?
  • MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited June 2011
    Do you have microfilters fitted to EVERY phone socket in the house?  You need to.

Also did you check the lease time I suggested in the previous post?

edited June 2011
    Are you running any other firewall software alongside windows firewall ?

Have you checked your pc for malware lately ?

edited June 2011
    Do you have microfilters fitted to EVERY phone socket in the house?  You need to. Also did you check the lease time I suggested in the previous post?
    Posted by Machka
    I have filters to every socket that is being used. Do i need filters in sockets thata aren't being used?

I did check the lease time after a drop out.... it said 0 days 23 hours..... no option to change it either.

That firewall messa ge is a weird one. Im 99% sure i only have windows firewall running and at the time no other pc's were switched on in the house.

Just did a scan now acidman and all seems ok.
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : "Destination host unreachable"
    Posted by splashies
    Can you remove DHCP from the equation?

You'll need to manually configure your PC's IP address (make sure it doesn't clash with another device), Subnet Mask (whatever the router uses, most probably 255.255.255.0) and Default Gateway (address of your router). And you'll need to manually configure the DNS to point to your ISP's DNS servers. Are you ok with that?