You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Desperate for some advice!

1235»

Comments

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2011
    Gotta pop out now but I have just mailed you another JPG just to verify something. Those DSL stats would be useful.
    Laters...
  • splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice!:
    Gotta pop out now but I have just mailed you another JPG just to verify something. Those DSL stats would be useful. Laters...
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Thank you, i just sent a picture back to you (hopefully).

Catch you later, Cheers!
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited June 2011
    Th radiator will only be a problem when it's switched on as it can cause overheating in your router.

The metal could also cause interference with the wifi but seeing as you're not using wifi that won't be a problem.

edited June 2011
    Th radiator will only be a problem when it's switched on as it can cause overheating in your router. The metal could also cause interference with the wifi but seeing as you're not using wifi that won't be a problem.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Thanks yeh its not on at all at the minute so that can't be the problem. Cheers.
    edited June 2011
    I've had some offline contact with splashies and it appears his broadband provider has locked down the router firmware and the telnet interface so it's not possible to obtain the DSL link information (Line Att / SN Margin or Signal To Noise Ratio for example).
    Dunno what you techies think (Acid and Machka and co) but I think it's important to establish if a really low DSL SNR could be making the connection unreliable (?) I suggested he contact his customer services to see if they can tell.

Good luck Splashies!

• MachkaMachka Member Posts: 4,627
    edited June 2011
    Definitely sounds like we, and by we I mean NoseyBonk, has done everything possible to help remotely.  Sounds like CS from his ISP is needed to solve this one.
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I agree.

Glad we could solve this problem for him machka.

Noseybonk could have helped out a bit more though.

; ) <<<<<smiley face jokey icon.

edited June 2011
    Yes i think you're right Machka. Im overwhelmed at all the help iv had on here and by email, 90 odd posts shows that.

Special thanks to Noseybonk!

Il keep on with CC with my provider to hopefully find a resolution. They have increased my signal to noise ratio from 6db to 9db. Had 1 dropout since then too.

The dropouts all last for less than 30 seconds now, so it's manageable for the time being.

Thank you all once again, il keep you updated.
    edited June 2011
    Right then, I think increasing my signal to noise ratio has worked.

No dropouts for 2 weeks now. Though downloading anything takes 10x longer now. But im so glad i can play poker again without worrying about losing connection.

Thanks Mr Nosey.

One question...

Is there anything i can do to speed up download speeds, or will it be like this forever since i increased my signal to noise ratio?
    edited June 2011
    What speed are you connecting at now?

I had some problems too about a week ago after about 30 days of perfection at around 6db SnR, forcing me to tweek my DSL profile to increase the SnR. However this didn't cost me too much in terms of speed (went from 11,500kbps down to 10,500kbps) so still fairly quick but more reliable.

I doubt there's anything you can do without risking reliability...    Unless you ditch DSL and get a leased-line of course :-D

edited June 2011
    Erm, is this the same as bandwidth, only thing i can find in kbps?
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,170 / 391
    1170/391 (Up/Down) kbps

Yeh im happy with the reliablility so dont wanna change that. Just want to download poker vids but takles ages now.

Never mind. Thanks again.
    edited June 2011
    Do you know what service you pay for?

1170/391kbps looks like 1Mb download and 0.5Mb upload.

1Mb download seems a very slow service these days.

edited June 2011
    Do you know what service you pay for? 1170/391kbps looks like 1Mb download and 0.5Mb upload. 1Mb download seems a very slow service these days.
    Posted by Machka
    It's the other way round mate. The low figure is the downstream! That's really bad & one for ISP technical support I think.

edited June 2011
    Ah right il contact support then.

Yeh im pretty sure i should be getting up to 20mb.
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : It's the other way round mate. The low figure is the downstream! That's really bad & one for ISP technical support I think.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    oh yeah, lol, definitely not good!
    edited August 2011
    Think I may have finally cracked my poor speeds. Do these figures look better?
    Uptime:0 days, 0:00:54
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:1,187 / 7,709
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:111.07 / 568.92
    edited August 2011
    They look pretty good.  Are you paying for a 10Mb/s package?

What did you change?
    edited August 2011
    They look pretty good.  Are you paying for a 10Mb/s package? What did you change?
    Posted by Machka
    Up to 20mb im pretty sure is my deal, but its really good now. I just took out the phone line which is connected to the skybox, because this was also plugged into the filter thingy.
  • djblacke04djblacke04 Member Posts: 1,778
    edited August 2011

There was of course one other possibility, interference from another wireless source..

edited August 2011

There was of course one other possibility, interference from another wireless source..
    Posted by djblacke04
    No it wasn't that because he was still having problems with a wired connection too.

If it's better now you've unplugged the phone cable it's either a dodgy filter, you've not quite got all of your filters set up correctly, a dodgy phone socket or a dodgy outside line.