You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Desperate for some advice!

Comments

• splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice!:
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : Can you remove DHCP from the equation? You'll need to manually configure your PC's IP address (make sure it doesn't clash with another device), Subnet Mask (whatever the router uses, most probably 255.255.255.0) and Default Gateway (address of your router). And you'll need to manually configure the DNS to point to your ISP's DNS servers. Are you ok with that?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    I think i posted a link about this somewhere earlier in the thread...

Is this what you mean? Shall i follow it step by step?

http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm

Edit: Also do i need to do this on the main pc downstairs, or my PC upstairs, or both?
  • NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : I think i posted a link about this somewhere earlier in the thread... Is this what you mean? Shall i follow it step by step? http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm Edit: Also do i need to do this on the main pc downstairs, or my PC upstairs, or both?
    Posted by splashies
    I think that looks ok (I've never used Vista so not familiar with it's 'look'). You're not using port forwarding but the configuration instructions still apply. There's a lot of settings to get right so if afterwards you can't get any network activity then you can switch back to 'auto' / DHCP.
    Good lucks!

edited June 2011
    In Response to Re: Desperate for some advice! : I think that looks ok (I've never used Vista so not familiar with it's 'look'). You're not using port forwarding but the configuration instructions still apply. There's a lot of settings to get right so if afterwards you can't get any network activity then you can switch back to 'auto' / DHCP. Good lucks!
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    thank you. yes if it doesnt work i will make sure i'll put it back to what it was.

One quick question before i start. Do i do it on main pc or is ok on my 1 upstairs. or both?

My IP address for my router is 78.86.238.72 so shall i just add a 1 at the end when putting on the new address?
    edited June 2011
    I'd do all of them.

That address is not the LAN side address - it's the public (internet) facing address - so no you don't want to change your PCs to anything like that. Do you have the LAN IP address of the router? Presumably what you were pinging or were you pinging the 78 address (?)

edited June 2011
    I'd do all of them. That address is not the LAN side address - it's the public (internet) facing address - so no you don't want to change your PCs to anything like that. Do you have the LAN IP address of the router? Presumably what you were pinging or were you pinging the 78 address (?)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    i was pinging the 78 address.

Ok think i have found it

That sound right?
    edited June 2011
    That's the one.

The subnet mask is probably 255.255.255.0 (can you confirm?). If so all devices need to be uniquely addressed but must start with 192.168.1 ... and then a unique number of your choice between 1 and 254 (inclusive)

If the subnet mask is not 255.255.255.0 then that changes things again.......

edited June 2011
    That's the one. The subnet mask is probably 255.255.255.0 (can you confirm?). If so all devices need to be uniquely addressed but must start with 192.168.1 ... and then a unique number of your choice between 1 and 254 (inclusive) If the subnet mask is not 255.255.255.0 then that changes things again.......  
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    yes thats the subnet mask. I need to ring O2 for the DNS servers then i should be able to do it.
    edited June 2011
    Ok I have now manually configured my IP address for this computer and also the main one downstairs.

Took me a while to convince O2 to give me the two addresses for the DNS servers. But they did in the end.

So is that all complete now? Just gotta sit back and wait?
    edited June 2011
    Nice one. Yep just sit back and see - at least you've removed another element. These things are often a process of elimination.

I have no idea why they'd not want to give you DNS addresses - odd folks! It's not secret information lol.

edited June 2011
    Nice one. Yep just sit back and see - at least you've removed another element. These things are often a process of elimination. I have no idea why they'd not want to give you DNS addresses - odd folks! It's not secret information lol.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Thank you, really appreciate all your advice. Lets hope this is the end of it.
    edited June 2011
    No probs. Fingers crossed................................

edited June 2011
    Right then. Only had two drop outs yesterday. Both lasted less than 30 seconds so I'm pretty happy with that.
  • AcidMan27AcidMan27 Member Posts: 3,752
    edited June 2011
    You shouldn't be geting any drop outs at all though. So there's still a problem somewhere.

edited June 2011
    You shouldn't be geting any drop outs at all though. So there's still a problem somewhere.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    I know but iv tried so much and it is getting better.

Had two more again today both lasted about 30 secs.
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if the 'Uptime' for your DSL or Internet resets back to 0 days 0 hours 0 mins after you've experienced this issue?

I've sent you a mail to explain where you should find this info.
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if the 'Uptime' for your DSL or Internet resets back to 0 days 0 hours 0 mins after you've experienced this issue? I've sent you a mail to explain where you should find this info.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Morning mate...

Just checked the email. I've looked in all places for all of that information but can't find it.

The "uptime" does go back to zero after a drop out yes.
    edited June 2011
    What model is your router? I'll download a manual
    edited June 2011
    Thomson TG587n v2
    edited June 2011
    Odd that you can't find that info then - from the manual it looks the same as my TG585 :-/
    Are you logged into the router as 'Administrator'?

edited June 2011
    Odd that you can't find that info then - from the manual it looks the same as my TG585 :-/ Are you logged into the router as 'Administrator'?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Yes I'm logged in as admin...

Under Broadband connection i go to DSL connection. There is no details tab in the top right corner, just the an overview which only shows about 4 pieces of info which i copy and pasted to you on friday.

I have also looked in every other section to try and find this info. Just not there.

Very strange then... already had two dropouts today :(.

My router is currently right next to a radiator, i read somewhere that this might be a problem?

Also shall i plug my router into the main box in the hallway? (This would be very difficult for me to then plug it into the PC via ethernet cable)