You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,701
    edited April 2016

"After a cash in the HT tournament (can you believe they made us pay to enter that btw??????)"

I know, outrageous, eh?

I'd like to ask you a question. Not a criticism or dig, but I'm curious why & what 6 question marks denotes. Serious question.

I see it a lot these days, & it puzzles me more than it should, I suppose.

Same thing goes for multiple exclamation marks, God knows why people do that. I suppose they think we can't read or comprehend the written word with any degree of competence.

We even see Forum threads with multiple exclamation & question marks. What is THAT about?
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    "After a cash in the HT tournament (can you believe they made us pay to enter that btw??????)" I know, outrageous, eh? I'd like to ask you a question. Not a criticism or dig, but I'm curious why & what 6 question marks denotes. Serious question. I see it a lot these days, & it puzzles me more than it should, I suppose.   Same thing goes for multiple exclamation marks, God knows why people do that. I suppose they think we can't read or comprehend the written word with any degree of competence.   We even see Forum threads with multiple exclamation & question marks. What is THAT about?
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't really know, maybe it's peoples way of emphasisisng sarcasm or surprise, using excessive punctuation in the absense of smileys

No smileys?

On a forum??

In 2016????

Really????????????????????????

You can see my surprise, anger and disgust accumulating as I absorb and process this mind blowing fail.

:o   :o   :o   :o   :o  

:):):):)

----

Lost 1 pound ninety nine in the first 500 hands.

Nap in front of Snooks then more later. 

• Options
    aussie09aussie09 Member Posts: 8,033
    edited April 2016

the one that intrigues me is the abbreviation of world wide web to www. 

this triples the syllables from 3 to 9.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : I don't really know, maybe it's peoples way of emphasisisng sarcasm or surprise, using excessive punctuation in the absense of smileys No smileys? On a forum?? In 2016???? Really???????????????????????? You can see my surprise, anger and disgust accumulating as I absorb and process this mind blowing fail. :o   :o   :o   :o   :o   :):):):) ---- Lost 1 pound ninety nine in the first 500 hands. Nap in front of Snooks then more later. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ha. If we write properly, we make exclamation marks redundant, ditto multiple question marks.

As to the lack of emoticons on a Internet Forum in 2016, could not agree more. I'm on that case, believe me I'm on it.

See how well it reads without all that nonsense....

"No smileys?
    On a forum?
    In 2016?
    Really?"

Would you not think a normal adult could work out where the emphasis there is?

It's almost like that "does he take sugar?".

Jeez, I don't like being patronised, or spoken to condescendingly.

• Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,172
    edited April 2016
    No one,s mentioned commas instead of apostrophes or full-stops,,,,,,,,
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Happy Bank Holiday diet enthusiasts :)

Another week, another weigh in.

---

DOWN 2.75 lbs. 

Total loss after 6.5 weeks of the challenge = 25.75 lbs. 

Total loss since Jan 1st = 40.25 lbs. 

Exactly 2 weeks left.

Exactly 2.25 lbs required to hit the goal. 

---

So far, so good with my plan of working hard 1 day and then resting the next.

I walked (85%) / Ran (15%) another half marathon on Friday. (shaving 3 minutes off my PB :)

This included what I would class as my best achievement of the challenge so far, which was running a mile without stopping. 

I rested on Saturday, and then yesterday did a shorter 7.2m walk/run but increased the running % to make it a more intense workout. Again it included running a full mile. 

Today is rest, and then tomorrow I begin the final week blitz where I give it absolutely everything.

We know variance plays a high part in short term weigh ins, so anything could happen. Today the scales may have been nice to me, next week they may be mean. 

The best and only way to try and get on the better side of variance, as with poker, is to put high volume in.

So tomorrow until next monday, is going to be 7 days of real intense training, with daily weight ins. 

I'm excited to be so close to my target with 1 week to go, but also scared that a) I might fail and b) this week is going to hurt. badly. 

-----

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and support over the last 7 weeks, it's been a really important resource for both training/diet strategies and the all important motivation.

fwiw, I did this challenge alongside a couple of friends, which has also helped immensely, 1 of whom weighed in for the final time this weekend as he'd completed the challenge of losing 2 stones in 2 months, with 8 days to spare.

Awesome achievement. 

If anyone has any plans to do anything like this, i'd reccommend trying to find a training partner or friend to do it alongside. It's a real help when both are fully committed. 

----

Good luck to everyone on and off the tables in May.

On we grind. . . . . . . .

Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left. It is an act, not a word

<3
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,708
    edited May 2016
    Happy Bank Holiday diet enthusiasts :) Another week, another weigh in. --- DOWN 2.75 lbs.  Total loss after 6.5 weeks of the challenge = 25.75 lbs.  Total loss since Jan 1st = 40.25 lbs.  Exactly 2 weeks left. Exactly 2.25 lbs required to hit the goal.  --- So far, so good with my plan of working hard 1 day and then resting the next. I walked (85%) / Ran (15%) another half marathon on Friday. (shaving 3 minutes off my PB :) This included what I would class as my best achievement of the challenge so far, which was running a mile without stopping.  I rested on Saturday, and then yesterday did a shorter 7.2m walk/run but increased the running % to make it a more intense workout. Again it included running a full mile.  Today is rest, and then tomorrow I begin the final week blitz where I give it absolutely everything. We know variance plays a high part in short term weigh ins, so anything could happen. Today the scales may have been nice to me, next week they may be mean.  The best and only way to try and get on the better side of variance, as with poker, is to put high volume in. So tomorrow until next monday, is going to be 7 days of real intense training, with daily weight ins.  I'm excited to be so close to my target with 1 week to go, but also scared that a) I might fail and b) this week is going to hurt. badly.  ----- Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and support over the last 7 weeks, it's been a really important resource for both training/diet strategies and the all important motivation. fwiw, I did this challenge alongside a couple of friends, which has also helped immensely, 1 of whom weighed in for the final time this weekend as he'd completed the challenge of losing 2 stones in 2 months, with 8 days to spare. Awesome achievement.  If anyone has any plans to do anything like this, i'd reccommend trying to find a training partner or friend to do it alongside. It's a real help when both are fully committed.  ---- Good luck to everyone on and off the tables in May. On we grind. . . . . . . . Commitment means staying loyal to what you said you were going to do long after the mood you said it in has left. It is an act, not a word <3
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    it won,t be a fail m8 what you have achieved is immense well done
  • Options
    GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited May 2016
    +1 to stokefc

40.25lbs is massive, I'm pretty sure you'll get over the line this week, but huge respect no matter what the final weigh-in says.

Congrats on that first mile of continuous running too. The first of many I suspect.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,172
    edited May 2016
    I was going to say you're the new Barry Bethell, but whilst confirming the spelling I'm reminded of his more sinister side so I'll pass on that!

So well done on the loss. Great job. 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    I was going to say you're the new Barry Bethell, but whilst confirming the spelling I'm reminded of his more sinister side so I'll pass on that! So well done on the loss. Great job. 
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    haha, think I came across the same disturbing results when I tried to find out who he was!

Not a fan of these labelled diet meals such as slimfast.

I had a look at a weightwatchers chicken curry and couldn't buy it because it has white rice in it!

No wonder all their subscribers are fat.

------

Thanks for the nice words chaps, but if I fall short of 2 stone in 2 months there's no way getting away from the fact it will be a fail.

A successful fail maybe. 

Great phrase that can be used to accurately sum up alot of things in my life so far. 

Lets make sure it doesn't come to that anyway #GameFace :)

*He says after finishing a giant helping of hunters chicken*

Doh

"ill start again tomorrow"
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,581
    edited May 2016
    BIG +1 to Gary & stokey.  What you've achieved is pretty awesome imo.  
    More than that, it's been life changing.  Keep it up
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Weighed in this morning UP 1.25 lbs on yesterday.

Dam you late night toast. 

3.5 lbs to lose all of a sudden instead of 2.25.

Longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg session incoming. Pray4doh. 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Weighed in this morning UP 1.25 lbs on yesterday. Dam you late night toast.  3.5 lbs to lose all of a sudden instead of 2.25. Longggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg session incoming. Pray4doh. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Quit with this short term variance stuff JJ, remember it's LONG TERM that matters.

Winning poker players have losing nights from time to time. It's no different with dieting, & the vagaries of daily weigh-ins.

A slice or two of toast would not have added any measurable weight.

Everyday "bathroom scales" can be affected by all sorts, too, including atmospheric/barometric pressure. 

Here, have a peruse of this....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Reference_desk/Archives/Science/2007_August_30
  • Options
    edited May 2016

It's only a little challenge TK, of course it's not overly important but it's been good for my motivation and it'd be nice to succeed. Makes what would otherwise be a grim slog quite exciting. 

I know all about the scale variance, albeit not in alot of detail. I just know it's a thing.....

So it means I have to graft harder to try and minimize the impact it has.

Interestingly I just weighed in after this mornings exercise session and I'm down half a pound on yesterday, and therefore almost 2 lbs on this morning. 

-----

I set off this morning at 8.15 and arrived home exactly 4h 27 mins later. 

I had an exercise app malfunction so I don't have any accurate distance information but based on a modest continuous walking pace of around 17.5 mins per mile, I'd estimate the distance to be around 15 miles.

Which is a new distance PB. 

The weather was really pleasant and me and the pooch both seemed to be enjoying the walk so I decided not to add in any running and just walked on and on. 

4 different woods, through 5 different villages. 

Saw everything from squirrells, rabbits and hedgehogs to lambs, goats, cows, horses and even zebras. 

I thought I was going abit insane walking down 1 long road around 7 miles from home.

There were bicycles in trees, mounted on walls, above pub verandas, on top of sheds and patios. 

wtf has happened in the last 6 years to make this the norm in the outside world. 

And then I saw a big banner saying "Doncaster welcomes the Tour De Yorkshire"

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

Still weird. 

But at least there was an explanation. 

----

Afternoon off watching YCCC try to manouvre themselves into a winning position v Notts, then a 2.5 mile 50% run / 50% walk tonight. 

But first, DINNER. 

• Options
    edited May 2016
    It's only a little challenge TK, of course it's not overly important but it's been good for my motivation and it'd be nice to succeed. Makes what would otherwise be a grim slog quite exciting.  I know all about the scale variance, albeit not in alot of detail. I just know it's a thing..... So it means I have to graft harder to try and minimize the impact it has. Interestingly I just weighed in after this mornings exercise session and I'm down half a pound on yesterday, and therefore almost 2 lbs on this morning.  
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It's a HUGE challenge & you've done great, I'm abso not belittling it. I'm doing the same thing, & I know how hard it is sometimes.

But you did NOT lose 2lbs this morning, it does not & cannot work like that, that's down to the inaccuracies of the scales we use.

You lose weight slowly & surely, & it really does not go up & down by 2lbs on a daily basis, it's just that is what those scales tell us.

Keep doing what you are doing, & you'll be fine.

In fact, I like what ya do, when you do what ya do, as Salt 'N Pepa might well have said.

• Options
    edited May 2016

The most uneventful diary post of all time, but daily weigh ins were promised.

No change on the scales.

Still 2.25 lbs to go. 

Apparently 15 miles wasn't enough !

Shorter but more intense sessions today, 2 at least, maybe 3. 

On we grind . . . . . .
  • Options
    edited May 2016

A little more interesting today.

For me at least.

Weighed in and I've "lost" 1.5 lbs since yesterday morning.

Or at least the scale reading is 1.5 lbs lower than it was yesterday morning.

It means I'm within touching distance of hittimg my 2 stones in 2 months goal.

0.75 lbs required by next Tuesday.

It may be a silly decision, but I'm going to take it easy today.

I did a couple of intense sessions yesterday with some circuits involved as well as lots of running, and have woken up with a blister and aching legs. 

Just a steady hours walk with the pooch and then a rest day, before another half marathon tomorrow and re-assess the plans for the last few days after Saturday mornings weigh in.

-----

I've lost literally thousands of pounds over the duration of this diary.

How hard can it be to lose 1 more.

GET THEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
  • Options
    edited May 2016

^^^^

Great stuff.

My "rule" as to scale variance is that I don't accept the reading until I see it on 3 consecutive days. That's always been my rule, & I do the diet thing every year, & have done for over 30 years now. I pile weight on easily, & then take it off. Ridic, really. 

Don't want to hijack your Diary, but as it's fast becoming The Diet Diary, & only you & me are currently hard dieting, it looks like, by happy coincidence we'll both reach our target weight within days of each other.

I was looking to drop 2.5 stones, & I'm currently 0.25 lbs shy of that number, so, allowing for 3 consecutive days, I'll get there roughly at the same time as you, all being well.

It's really not THAT hard, but it does require tremendous self-discipline, & I congratulate you on doing so well. 

Nearly there now, the last part is downhill, with the wind behind us.

I plan to carry on for another month, then BOOMIO, it's back to bad food, yay.   

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2016
    It must have been so exciting watching Yorkshire attempt the run chase yesterday. Awesome finish to the game. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    ^^^^ Great stuff. My "rule" as to scale variance is that I don't accept the reading until I see it on 3 consecutive days. That's always been my rule, & I do the diet thing every year, & have done for over 30 years now. I pile weight on easily, & then take it off. Ridic, really.  Don't want to hijack your Diary, but as it's fast becoming The Diet Diary, & only you & me are currently hard dieting, it looks like, by happy coincidence we'll both reach our target weight within days of each other.   I was looking to drop 2.5 stones, & I'm currently 0.25 lbs shy of that number, so, allowing for 3 consecutive days, I'll get there roughly at the same time as you, all being well. It's really not THAT hard, but it does require tremendous self-discipline, & I congratulate you on doing so well.  Nearly there now, the last part is downhill, with the wind behind us. I plan to carry on for another month, then BOOMIO, it's back to bad food, yay.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ahhhhh this sounds like a very good/sensible way of doing it.

If me and my fellow challengees were to start it again, I'd have this condition in place before the challenge could be signed off as complete. 

I must admit after the weigh in this morning I was tempted to just not eat or drink anything until I needed the toilet again, and that would surely do the job.

But that didn't feel right.

I also love my morning tea too much. 

----

Congratulations on (almost) reaching your goal.

Not to sound rude but I'd imagine the weight is harder to shift as you get older? In theory at least. Which makes your achievement to keep doing it year after year even greater. 

I'm also planning to keep up eating really well for the forseeable future. 

I've made a few poker comparisons throughout the challenge, but holding on to what I have is something I've done throughout my poker career. 

It's 1 of the reasons I play so low, I want to protect my bankroll, it's taken alot of hard work to get it, I really don't want to risk losing it. 

For example around 6 months ago I played 20,000 hands of 5nl, and won 20 buyins. 

At 500 hands an hour it took me around 40 hours to complete.

If I took those winnings to a 25nl game, even playing only 1 table, I could easily lose them in an hour, or even less.

That makes me feel sick haha. 

So yah, after grafting hard for so long and getting the results there's no way I'm gonna go bacl to pizza and chips and see all that work go to waste. 

Sure I could lose it again, or work even harder to somehow stop the weight increasing whilst eating junk...

But I'm still pretty lazy, I'd rather not have the chocolate biscuit and not have to walk a mile to work it off, than have the biscuit and happily walk it off.

No brainer imo.

I am looking forward to eating toast again though. So much love for the glorious hunger quashing qualities of brown toast. 

----

MB, it was so exciting that I slept right through it. 

ChronicFatigueFTL.