You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,575
    edited March 2016

If you have shed 11lbs in 3 weeks, you don't need advice from me or anyone else, keep doing what you are doing, but BE PATIENT, this is a long journey.

I would not say I was in decent shape to start with though, I had a proper beer belly, & I don't drink.....

It's all about mindset, this dieting thing.

My biggest asset is keeping busy. When I have nothing to do, my mind wanders to food, "what can I have to eat?", but by keeping busy I don't have time to "snack". So there are no "empty" periods in my day - I'm either working, writing, walking, sleeping, or playing poker. I do have a 1 hour "do nothing" slot each evening (dinner time), & a 30 minute do nothing slot early afternoon (light lunch time) but that apart, I just keep busy.

Light lunch is 4 Rivitas, Philly Low Fat cheese & fresh sliced toms. If you are hungry enough, they are delish. 

The only other food intake is my evening meal. 2 chicken breasts, a small tin of garden peas, & a small tin of tomatoes laced with Worcester Sauce to add flavour. That is followed by a giant bowl of fruit - as much as I can eat - & then matzot & cheese.

No lattes, just tea, no sugar obv, or sparkling water.  

That may sound dull, but when we are hungry, ALL food tastes wonderful.

I shall lose another 7lbs, & then that's it, job done, & I'll revert to eating badly, & pile it all back on again. I've done the same routine every year for 40 years, which shows how unbelievably stupid I am.

Anyway, you are doing just fine, so don't change a thing. But most of all, don't weaken or yield, be OBSESSIVE. 

A side bonus is that your self-esteem will be much enhanced by having achieved something really meaningful.

Good luck JJ.  

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    Good luck with the diet JJ. I'm mid-diet myself, & have dropped 2st 1lb in 2 months & 2 weeks. The better we do when dieting, the more we are encouraged to stick to it rigidly.   Once our heads are in the right place, it's the easiest thing ever. Garden peas? I have a WHOLE TIN (small tin, admittedly) every day.   Proper pea chirp, that.    
    Posted by Tikay10

All this pea talk...

Do you not prefer frozen over tinned? (locked in goodness, innit. The advert told me so)

Birdseye even do frozen peas for the super lazy like me - a serving in individual steam bags which 'chef Mike' can do in about 2 minutes :)

I like peas.

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : All this pea talk... Do you not prefer frozen over tinned? (locked in goodness, innit. The advert told me so) Birdseye even do frozen peas for the super lazy like me - a serving in individual steam bags which 'chef Mike' can do in about 2 minutes :) I like peas.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Be weary of the "seasoned butter" they try to sneak into those bags. 

Not just 1 lump either. 

They decide to stick 6 little lumps in and make them look like sweetcorn just so us fatties have a tougher job picking them out!

pffffft. Can't even trust veg to be healthy nowardays. 
    edited March 2016
    If you have shed 11lbs in 3 weeks, you don't need advice from me or anyone else, keep doing what you are doing, but BE PATIENT, this is a long journey. I would not say I was in decent shape to start with though, I had a proper beer belly, & I don't drink..... It's all about mindset, this dieting thing. My biggest asset is keeping busy. When I have nothing to do, my mind wanders to food, "what can I have to eat?", but by keeping busy I don't have time to "snack". So there are no "empty" periods in my day - I'm either working, writing, walking, sleeping, or playing poker. I do have a 1 hour "do nothing" slot each evening (dinner time), & a 30 minute do nothing slot early afternoon (light lunch time) but that apart, I just keep busy. Light lunch is 4 Rivitas, Philly Low Fat cheese & fresh sliced toms. If you are hungry enough, they are delish.  The only other food intake is my evening meal. 2 chicken breasts, a small tin of garden peas, & a small tin of tomatoes laced with Worcester Sauce to add flavour. That is followed by a giant bowl of fruit - as much as I can eat - & then matzot & cheese. No lattes, just tea, no sugar obv, or sparkling water.   That may sound dull, but when we are hungry, ALL food tastes wonderful. I shall lose another 7lbs, & then that's it, job done, & I'll revert to eating badly, & pile it all back on again. I've done the same routine every year for 40 years, which shows how unbelievably stupid I am.   Anyway, you are doing just fine, so don't change a thing. But most of all, don't weaken or yield, be OBSESSIVE.  A side bonus is that your self-esteem will be much enhanced by having achieved something really meaningful.   Good luck JJ.     
    Posted by Tikay10

This is so true!

I hate being hungry, it's 1 of my biggest fears! (along with dentists, Tuna, woodlice and monotone flops)

I look forward to meal times so much more now, and you're right all good, clean food tastes amazing. I'll never go back to the sh*te I used to eat now  :)

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited March 2016
    Peas and sweetcorn are the exceptions to the eat as much veg as you like diet mantra.

Curly kale. Its the future. Comes in handy pre shredded bags for just a quid in most supermarkets and ready in 3 mins in boiling water.

PS welcome back. Nice to read a bunch of good news and upward trends. 

Any book news?
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Be weary of the "seasoned butter" they try to sneak into those bags.  Not just 1 lump either.  They decide to stick 6 little lumps in and make them look like sweetcorn just so us fatties have a tougher job picking them out! pffffft. Can't even trust veg to be healthy nowardays. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

No.. the peas are just peas - no butter (some of the others have that). They're well handy :)

edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : This is so true! I hate being hungry, it's 1 of my biggest fears! (along with dentists, Tuna, woodlice and monotone flops) I look forward to meal times so much more now, and you're right all good, clean food tastes amazing. I'll never go back to the sh*te I used to eat now  :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Creepy.

And what's Tuna ever done to ya? haha It's just a big fish.

edited March 2016
    Peas and sweetcorn are the exceptions to the eat as much veg as you like diet mantra. Curly kale. Its the future. Comes in handy pre shredded bags for just a quid in most supermarkets and ready in 3 mins in boiling water. PS welcome back. Nice to read a bunch of good news and upward trends.  Any book news?
    Posted by Phantom66
    I was dreading this question.   :/ 

I'm still 100 pages from the end of ELEVEN, I got really lazy with it. 

I've been back to the library and renewed it 3 times since I last had a read of it. 

It's getting embarrassing, I contemplated making the excuse that I struggle with reading to justify the 3rd renewal!

I will get it done though because I refuse to a) renew it again and b) not finish it!

Interested in the peas and sweetcorn thing, because they're my most commonly eaten veg....

What's the limit and problem with going over the limit with them?

I shove a load of kale in the morning smoothie (see imgur above) but can't seem to get on with it in 'non blitzed up' form. :/

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited March 2016
    If reading aint your thing its no biggie.

Be a shame not to finish eleven though.

Maybe switch to audio books to pass the excecise time with?

Peas and sweetcorn. I'm no nutritionist just going by when mrs p did a certain diet programme most veg didnt count but peas and sweetcorn scored points. Plus I vaguely remember some sesnsationalist over reporting about peas and sweetcorn making you fat. I just googled it. It was a study by Harvard into what people ate and whether they gained or lost weight.
  • percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure if this is you JJ, or anyone else in d fred, but don't be hating too much on fat -  it's a macronutrient that is essential for your diet. There are different types, though, and you should be getting plenty of unsaturated fats (oil, nuts, avocados etc) and plenty of fatty acids like omega 3 & 6, while trying to avoid too much saturated fat. Just because you eat fat doesn't mean you'll become fat, or get more fat - it provides energy and stores excess food energy, as well as providing insulation and protection to our internal organs. 

It joins protein and carbs as the 3 macronutrients required on a daily basis, but the big thing is that carbs is actually the most important, or should be the most prominent. In the UK, a lot of people seem to base their meal around meat (protein), and actually, that should only be around 1/6th of your plate. Carbs is the big one, and it should take up approx 1/3rd of your plate. You can also get PLENTY of protein from nuts, seeds etc

There are also different types of carbs, and again plenty of misinformation about them - as far as I'm aware, the best type of carbs is the wholemeal and wholewheat complex variation (for the necessary FIBER boost), rather than white complex carbs - so all you have to do is simply look for the wholemeal/wholeweat packaging, and simple carbs should be reduced (white/brown sugar, honey etc). The more complex carbs take longer to break down, are slow-releasing and give us a more sustained level of energy and apparently should = 1/3rd of our meals. 

Why do you think bread is the devil? You can buy wholewheat seedy bread which is a great alternative to white bread, and a brilliant source of starchy carbs.

I'm not sure if you knew that stuff or not, but thought I'd write it anyway, and to answer your Q - peas are high in vitamin c, and I don't think eating over the "recommended daily intake" of VC is much of a problem, if any (of course don't just eat peas........). Check google for nutritional information of different veggies/fruits etc.

on a more personal level, I love making food and I'd recommend eating some different fresh produce every day. You can even do it seasonally for best flavours, and it actually doesn't get boring. You can make so many diff great dishes that are quite simple. Then again, I do have a passion for doing it and I understand other people cba lol, and other people probably have less time than me (or so I keep hearing) hehe
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re::
    I'm not sure if this is you JJ, or anyone else in d fred, but don't be hating too much on fat -  it's a macronutrient that is essential for your diet. There are different types, though, and you should be getting plenty of unsaturated fats (oil, nuts, avocados etc) and plenty of fatty acids like omega 3 & 6, while trying to avoid too much saturated fat. (snip snip)
    Posted by percival09

Top stuff.

I mentioned, in a slightly jokey way (fish fingers) Omega-3. I've been on these things for quite a while and it's amazing the effect they have on my aches (was getting RSI related pain, and by RSI I don't mean wan....), and even blood pressure. I take six a day. The odd fishy burp is a small price to pay.

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,775
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: : Top stuff. I mentioned, in a slightly jokey way (fish fingers) Omega-3. I've been on  these things  for quite a while and it's amazing the effect they have on my aches (was getting RSI related pain, and by RSI I don't mean wan....), and even blood pressure. I take six a day. The odd fishy burp is a small price to pay.
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    so fish fingers are good for you i never knew that,i eat fish regulary,smoked haddock,cod,salmon and tuna i normally steam cook them,fish is good for you 
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: : so fish fingers are good for you i never knew that,i eat fish regulary,smoked haddock,cod,salmon and tuna i normally steam cook them,fish is good for you 
    Posted by stokefc
    My good lady and I had a trout for dinner last night, today it is swimming out of my a**e, methinks I'm allergic :)
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited March 2016
    I often read your diary jj, I skim through the poker stuff and focus on the real life bits, I read it this morning as I am going through a hard time at present and it helped me so thank you.
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: : so fish fingers are good for you i never knew that,i eat fish regulary,smoked haddock,cod,salmon and tuna i normally steam cook them,fish is good for you 
    Posted by stokefc

Fish fingers are amazing (particularly with mash & peas) but in this case I was joking - please see the link I provided :D

Anyway. Just order a Dominos Meat Feast. DOHHHHHHM won't wanna read this. Soz mate.

edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: : My good lady and I had a trout for dinner last night, today it is swimming out of my a**e, methinks I'm allergic :)
    Posted by tomgoodun

I have heard it referred to as "fish in a bucket", because of the way it sounds :) Keep well, Tom.

• stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,775
    edited March 2016
    In Response to Re: : Fish fingers are amazing (particularly with mash & peas) but in this case I was joking - please see the link I provided :D Anyway. Just order a Dominos Meat Feast. DOHHHHHHM won't wanna read this. Soz mate.  
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    ha , i missed the link , how dumb :)
  • GaryQQQGaryQQQ Member Posts: 6,804
    edited April 2016
    In Response to  Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : You started at pretty much the same intensity as me and you completed a half marathon almost exactly 6 months later which is my goal. Inspiration, it can be done! :) That link looks cool too, I've been running mainly on the treadmill so far but it's incredibly boring.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It can definitely be done, but you'll need to get in at least three runs per week through that time to make it. I started with a base of fitness in my legs due to walking roughly 8 miles per day in my job, plus the coast walking on top. The toughest part is going from being a non-runner to being able to run 3 miles non-stop. Just focus on that for now. If you make it that far you'll definitely be able to run a half-marathon as long as you don't get bad-beat by injury or illness. Increasing from 3 to 13 is less difficult than going from 0 to 3.

Treadmills are a useful tool, great in bad weather for example, but notorious for being the most boring way to run. It's a different, slightly easier type of running too. Before participating in a road race you should do most of your training on the road.

If possible enter a small local event before the big one, rather than dive straight in the deep end. It'll give you a good feel for how it all works. Park runs (Google is your friend, 'parkrun') are an excellent introduction, highly recommended, very popular with people new to running. Hopefully there'll be one every Saturday morning somewhere near you. If not a local 10K (6 miles) race is a good stepping stone.

Good luck.
  • mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited April 2016
    I <3 u DOHHH, keep up the good work :) 
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,203
    edited April 2016
    It must be April Fools
    Half marathon!!!!!!!! (sorry teeks)
    If you want a sensible challenge aim for a nice 10k run. Aiming for a half marathon is setting yourself up to fail. We can't all be super heroes.

PS how's Candide?