You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Every Don has its day

Comments

• Options
    GreekWayGreekWay Member Posts: 462
    edited May 2014
    Good month Don. Great to see you back in action and most importantly doing well.

Have you set yourself any targets for May?
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day:
    Good month Don. Great to see you back in action and most importantly doing well. Have you set yourself any targets for May?
    Posted by GreekWay
    I set a personal target to make 80% of my hours. Although cash value Dohhhh challenged me to do another +£250 month. We negotiated that i didn't want withdraw C4P so that changed to £260 and i get a £7.73 headstart. If i make it jj will donate £10 to a charity of my choosing, and if i fail ill donate £10 to his charity. 

Already decided on my charity. 

Only issue with the hours i only made 20% of them yesterday due to 2 factors. the second of which will almost certainly prevent me from playing today and possibly tomorrow aswell. 
  • Options
    ILuvPickleILuvPickle Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2014
    gl luck with this Don x
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day : I set a personal target to make 80% of my hours. Although cash value Dohhhh challenged me to do another +£250 month. We negotiated that i didn't want withdraw C4P so that changed to £260 and i get a £7.73 headstart. If i make it jj will donate £10 to a charity of my choosing, and if i fail ill donate £10 to his charity.  Already decided on my charity.  Only issue with the hours i only made 20% of them yesterday due to 2 factors. the second of which will almost certainly prevent me from playing today and possibly tomorrow aswell. 
    Posted by The_Don90

Fine line between confidence and arrogance Donald!

I hope you have a +£259.99 month.

glgl.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day.:
    BUMP! Well decided to let some life breathe in this old dog.  At the end of March I sat down with Mel. I want to sort out hours where i can play poker. I haven't worked properly for a number of years so lets look at it like a job in the meantime. Not like a pro, but sort my sleeping out, while also having a nice balance of Family life.  Mel agreed and we sorted out a schedule. Obviously this means 100% cash, where i've historically struggled.  I did 1 hour of coaching from a friend and it made a massive impact. I also think the schedule helped a little too. PLaying mostly NL4 (a tiny amount of NL4 too) i finnished +280 for April and my first withdrawl that hasn't gone from 1 site to another for nearly 4 years.  Anyways i plan for much of the same this  month, but have decided to start the diary again. Roll for may started at £200, played for 2 hours today which is below what the schedule says cause of a few reasons. Anyways +£51. Although £1 ish of that was from playing HU for Larsson's comp. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Boom, the man is back.

Good luck with this Mr Don, & just remember, always, it's meant to be a fun thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sigh hate the timeout feature. Warning would be nice lol :) 

Thanks all. Agree that would be rather comicall jj. Truth is i had a charity challenge last month with a friend and had 2 charities in mind when i won. Will go for the other one for this challenge. 

Thanks Tikay, having poker only hours has helped alot. Its allowed me to have a balance in life i didnt have before. Some days id play 12 hours of poker, others 12 hours if fifa. and very little time with the family. Taht effected every aspect of my life from sleeping, to how i seen things and relationships. Much happier now. 

The reason im unable to play atm is illness. HGot an emergancy doctors appointment today and theyve ruled out the best possible case, but also the worst possibe case ruled out. Doctor was unsure as the exact issue so have cocodamol and anti biotics to see if that helps and to go back on sunday. The pain relief has helped so far altho not fully i can now do things. Will be playing TOTP but not the alloted hours tonight. Will hopefully play alloted hours over the weekend though. 

Also on a huge positive note. A really old friend visited me today. She was one of my closest friends when i let my life get out of hand, and have only seen her once in about 2.5 years. Amazing how one little thing can make you so happy. 
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited May 2014
    Congrats!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Congrats!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    ty bud gg. wp 
  • Options
    GaryLaudGaryLaud Member Posts: 535
    edited May 2014
    Congrats on your win, reading your last most recently detailed forum post, couldnt have gone to a better person. Qudos to DTM for also posting on yr topic to. Thanks for a good game, really enjoyed it. :D

Hope you get better soon, and see you on the tables!

BTW as I have seen on an unconnected youtube video(S) "It Get's Better!" Like I say unconnected but, yes life does get better.

Bit like poker in some respect.

Regars
    Gary. 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Can't do +50 all the time

Well on the back of too pretty shorty +£50 days and a stommack full of cocodamol todays alloted time was 7 hours straight. Trying to keep normal job working hours so a break at 10 (supposed to be one eveyr 4 hours apparently, but 3 and 3.5 works better). 

It was one of those sessions where nothing goes right. 66 v AA on 456 and turn is an A, 99 on 679 yeap theyve peeled 85. Just one of those days. 

However i did still manage to lock up the £2 profit for the day lol. So theres even positives to be taken within that.

Also during the last few hours i added in a NL10 table with the logic of adding some notes and Saturdays should be softer anyways. Didn't get many notes but broke about even. Might add some more in later in the week.

Tomorrow is an off day. On poker terms thats bad, but when arranging the hours i had to beg mel for friday and saturday sessions. At getting them she wouldn't budge on the Sunday session. Which is a shame.

Yesterdays Totp gave me my mtt bug back, and theres a live mtt mentioned on monday. Wud mean going over my hours to play it, but i know i can 100% get a lift so pretty sure im going to play it. Will make up for the hours missed with this illness.

The dynamic from 4 left in yesterdays totp was also quite interesting, and tbh i feel i made a few mistakes because of it. In the end i won and i guess thats what matters, but i defo could have picked up more chips earlier.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Puke

We all have good and bad days. Today was certainly not a good day, but positives can be taken from it. I missed part of my pre morning(Afternoon) session prep. Mel was buying a new shower mat today and thus the old one had been thrown out. Therefore i missed my shower which i think helps me relax etc. 

Anyways, that was the start of a bad session. Never seen a 45 min period like it. I did add a NL10 table, but biggest pot i lost there was no more than £4. I had to stand after about 20 mins tho and change it to a nl4 table. Ive never ever been stacked soo many times. 

90 mins into the session i stood from all tables for 30 mins to de-tilt. I was 11.5 buy ins down. the first 9 of those came in the first 45 mins. Some standard, some not so standard. Such as the time i 3b 93o v a lag opponent. Hit 2 pair only for him to river his gutshot with pot back. 

After the 30 mins detilting  i sat back down. Things did do a little better, still not great. Managed to recover just under 3 buy ins. Although not helped by still running very grim in alot of spots. 

Overall i can say that today was one of the worst sessions ive ever had. And i plodded on. 

Playing a Live mtt tonight in Edinburgh, will post on that tomorrow/early hours depending on how tired i am. As for the cash 1 grnd out, and 1 sick session. The only way is up, but i can take positives that i held my head today. Could have saved about 3 buy ins in hindsight, but when your having one of those days its easy to snap a bet thinking "they cant have a set/flush everytime" when in truth on another day i find the fold. 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And boom goes the blow up

Well that game was painful. First entry i think i won a single hand so i done the dreaded re-etnry. Wouldn;t have even done that if it wasnt for having to wait on lifts which would mean 7 hours of twiddling thumbs.

So new table and i started badly before finding a double when i got it in a marginal spot at the risk of being wrong meant wasting £50 and another 7 hours of twinddling thumbs, but the guy had also re-entered from my previous table and was abit of a loose cannon so why not. I wa right YEY. 

Anyways break time and our table broke. New table was better and i turned my 27k into 46.5k before EP min open, 3 callers (inc a guy who was all in for 100 less) neither blind is capable of squeezing but both likely to call. So i peel BTN with 89o on the logic of imlied odds. Opener had similar stack too me, which was double average. Anyways me and opener got it in on 6h7dAh5d he had AKdd which i held against. 

Table then broke. First hand on the new table i bust a average stack guy by stationing with TT on 6654x he had A5. I just peeled pre cause i was sorting my chips, so station down felt like it let him over value hands. 

Anyways then that table broke and another new table. I blinded away about 30k (at the time of table move that was average stack) before really getting any opportunity to play a hand. 3 raise folds was my old attempt really and every time the same guy 3b me. Anyways then theres 3 limpers i raise 4.5x from SB with KQo BB and first limper folds. Second limper raised to 11.5x third limper folds. I consider for a min, and then 4b jam. He snaps with aces which i felt was just a tiny part of his range. That left me with 27k. 

Blinds up the very next hand, meant i was crippled with 8 bigs and every second ante bein worth 1k meant i had to find a spot soon. Half an orbit later i shove KQo into KK. gg don 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Late update

Today and Tueday i slept in for motning sessions. 

Today was a mistake, Tueday ill blame the live mtt and being late home.

Anyways would have updated yesterday but since comming onto this schedule and the pc being moved upstairs for peace, anything to do with the pc is very banned on a Wednessday - mine and mels day. 

Tuesday night session i finnished early. And in profit, but i was playing very sub-par. Only reason i was in profit was because i coolered some poor guy twice in the space for 3 hands for full stacks or more. 

Yesterday i had follow up appointment with the doc aswell. They said theres been a rapid improvement in my health and ive been asked to come of the painkillers, for the next few days take ordinary ove the counter stuff then nothing at all. Ive also to finnish my coarse of anti-biotics. Which leads them to think i just had a ugly infection. If the pain doesnt return all is well, and if it does return then back next week. 

The rest of yesterday was spent just enjoying time with Mel. I also believe cash for points are in, so mixed with the profitable session on tuesday my br is now less than 2 buy ins short of what it was before the big losing session. 

Will be playing tonight, and hopefully tomorrow morning pending i actually wake up. 

slowly getting there just letting small things distract me.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    REALLLLLLLLY

So had a session tonight. Started really strong, added an NL8 table too. 

Then last 10 mins where redic. Got 1 guy all in 4 times drawing to 4 outs or less. In one case drawing to runners. I had 89 v KJ all in on 67T, i obv turn and river my 2 pair. KK v A8 all in on 99T A on turn. Then lose a huge flip. 

On another table the NL8 one i flop 2 pair v an OESD at the same time. Get all his chips in bar £1 only for him to river a Q to save him, and obv im getting like 10-1 on calling it so i cant fold. 

In the end all that and i finnished 20p down. Would have continued but the software crashed and seemed a good time to just leave. 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A game or B game

So yesterday was hit and miss. And i take full credit. Session 1 i finnished 4 buy ins up. I played well, very much not quite my A game but probably not too far from it. Could have ran better, but ill take +4 buy ins while running about EV. 

Session , i started bad, and i went onto what some would call auto pilot. Or what other call their bad game. I had a couple of beats/coolers and started to tilt. Spots that where simple folds because calls and running bad didn't help. Its clear there is a huge differance still between my A game and my hardcore knowledge. The stuff you fall back on when not thinking 100% rational. As my A game gets better it is improving bt not at enough of a level. -9 buy ins for the first half of this session.

Break at 10 as scheduled and i came back abit refreshed and i took 3/4 buyins very very quicky. Then got into a puke hand and felt the tilt comming back. As a result i stood and called it a night. In hindsight that meant i finnished with loss, but was definately the right decision/ -2 buy ins for the day.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh nice

Quick update while i rail my uncle and MR Spittles in the UKIPT.

Yesterday i started early. but i just wasn't feeling it. I broke early to de-tilt but turns out i was up a buy in. I was mega tilted and frustrated, just standard stuff at low stakes got on my nerves. 

Anyways sat back down and stood an hour later finnished +£2 for day. But just feels pretty grim. 

Decided tomorrow im going to play afternoon session as planned and then mtts at night. Thats pending on Willie not making final table in which case ill probably jump on a train down to DTD
  • Options
    GaryLaudGaryLaud Member Posts: 535
    edited May 2014
    I think the live stream said that the final table begins at 3pm tomorrow - you are aware of this aren't you?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Lazy day

Ty mentioning Gary. Live streams with hole cards always run behind, just so theres no dodgey stuff going on. Players often phone friends etc for information. I didnt make it down for a few reasons but ah well, Willie played a blinder early then seemed to let frustration get the better of him. He'll be gutted but ill speak to him when he gets home. 67k is always a nice payday. 

As for yesterday, Sunday is never a playing day. But with the live stream being on i got up at 11 flciked it on, and stayed in bed. PC Has been in the room since the start of the schedule plans to allow me no distractions while playing. This meant i couldn't watch it on TV. 

Mel came up for a while and without hole cards made it really interesting. Mel asking whats going on alot, and i was able to sit down and break hands up guess a range, and when they where shown was insane how often i was right. I really need to add that kind of thing to my in game knowledge, because i can do it in the same timeframe when im not playing, but for whatever reason can't when i am. Would really change my winrates at all levels if i could add that. 

Have to admit i feel like ive got a little to complacent at NL4 too recently. Really craving and mtt session and considering having one tonight. Maybe even if its just an mtt or 2 on the side of my NL4. Mtts are where my game in strongest, but tbh i need multiple sites for that, and rhen i just repeat last year. Winning on 1/2 sites each month, losing on others so withdraw from 1 deposit on another. And tbh withdrawing and being able to spend money as a treat was a great feeling at the end of last month. 

I need to have a deep think about my pokering future because i do enjoy mtts more, and I feel thats where I play better, but developing my cash game would be far more stable.

Someone mentioned a staking deal for mtts in a facebook group last night. I may consider applying for it. Even if its short term to have a feel of the higher up mtts. Last year i went on a downswing as i was about to move up. Strange how that keeps happening to me, but also shows the power of moving up at the right time and maintaining focus, chances are I've probably been making alot of mistakes when moving up. Weather its added pressure or complacancey or whatever. 

Really hope Sky add Ante's soon too. The dynamic of mtts change so much with ante's and i feel it would advantage my style of play. Then agin who knows. 

NL4 or Mtts tonight, or a mix of both. hmmm decisions decisions.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Balls

So i decided for mtts. 1 cash and 2 heads from like 10 mtts somes it up really. Played really well just ran like aids.

This hand sums up my night pretty much. 9 people left. Im 3rd, BTN is chip leader.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    The_Don90 Small blind  600.00 600.00 25638.12
    troff Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 22615.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

HOLLYWHIT Fold     
    alias15 Fold     
    longdong Raise  2400.00 4200.00 33615.00
    The_Don90 Raise  5100.00 9300.00 20538.12
    troff Fold     
    longdong Call  3300.00 12600.00 30315.00
    Flop

• A

The_Don90 Bet  5700.00 18300.00 14838.12
    longdong Call  5700.00 24000.00 24615.00
    Turn

The_Don90 All-in  14838.12 38838.12 0.00
    longdong Call  14838.12 53676.24 9776.88
    The_Don90 Show
    • A
    • K

longdong Show
    • J
    • J

River

longdong Win Flush to the Ace 53676.24  63453.12
    Such a mega tilting way to bust an mtt. Expessially given im easily chip leader if i hold one card while a huge fav. 

In the end -£15 or something for the night.

Sigh. 
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A burning desire

Tbh watching Wilie really showed me how much i missed MTTs. Its just my game. The issue is, and i mean no disrespect there just not enough mtts on any single site to support it, and i dont have a large enough br to sustain it either. So for now it must stay with NL4 with the odd MTT. However i am considering more so into looking into Mtt staking deals, should the right deal be avalible.

I've also made huge steps towards improving my mental game. I left several poker groups over the last 24 hours to try and avoid typing rants. Rants which would not only drill in the tilt into my head an make it worse, but when typing them im missing hands and information. Neither is good for us.

Today i had a mare trying to sleep last night. Missed my full session in the afternoon as a result. I also ended the night session early due to a minor headache.

However overall the session was a huge improvement. I was running very poorly again. But the rantless session meant i didn't think about it as much and was able to focus on, they won't get there every time and allowed me to also think if i can fold that spot v him in future kind of thing instead.

In the end i finnished -£3 so less than a buy in loss, altho yet another losing session. Since TOTP i really havent had it easy at all. Which is disappointing but hopefully that will end soon, i am still 20 buy ins up for the month so far, so thats a positive. 

Onwards and upwards!

So yes i managed to post this in the wrong thread. Lol. Probably a good job i ended that session when i did, that could have got ugly.