You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Every Don has its day

Comments

• Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited April 2013
    April 4th 

Ive had a drink so again appoligies for this post. 

A rough few days, nothing short of standard though, made a mistake that maybe cost me break ev today the rest where standard stack offs. Infact its good to have minimised my losses to 1 bin. I also lost a bin yest. 

Ive literally just finnished my session and to be comming off saying - yeah i lost a bin, but it could have been worse really shows signs of progression for me. 

My pc is getting worse. I attempted to fix it again today and it looked good early in session but eventually the old tricks creeped in again. Might ask a friend in the know to have a proper look as really 4 tables with literally nothing else running and lagging is something the spec of my pc should handle. It handled 6 tables less than 5 months ago. That was with MSN and youtube running. 

On a life note, baby still hasnt arrived, mel has been really ill though, have to admit im worried. Im hoping its just flu ive bought a ton of pregnancy friendly medication for her of late, and treated her to an ethinic meal the other day. 

We also got some new carpets fitted in the bedrooms, i lived in my old house for 4 years 1 just one carpet in the living room, feels wierd sleeping in a room with a carpet now. We also got a new shower fitted as the one we got when we moved in didn't work. Wasn't conviced i'd get that but apparently a shower when we move in is the responsibility of the housing assoiation - glad they admited to it as the bath water isn't much warmer than trying to wash myself with the beer ive taken out of the fridge. 

Bankroll: £326.55 (cash for points aren;t due yet so £17ish to be added) 

P.s can someone please explain the new cash for points system to me, and how it would effect someone who plays both MTTs and cash. 
  • Options
    calcalfoldcalcalfold Member Posts: 978
    edited April 2013
    Hope the missus and the soon to be lil one are ok, some things are waaay more important than poker.
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited April 2013

Hey Mate,

Hope everything is ok with Mel and the baby.

It really does put poker in perspective.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Life update - April 6h

Well i'll start with the good news and Mel is feeling much better. She also had the midwife the other day and if the baby hasn't arrived by Thursday they will be looking into inducing her. 

However not everything is plain sailing. Because the baby hasn't arrived, we are subject to paying bedroom tax since we have a room "which isn't needed." 

Now i know i can get into a full debate on the full bedroom tax issue, and i imagine there are many different views on this site. However i fully believe the situation we are in should be exempt, I've made an appeal to the council aswell. Its not a great deal of money and i have put it aside for the situation where the coucil refuse. 

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    edited April 2013

LOL. Having a baby to get out of paying the spare bedroom tax. Who said you Scots were on the tight side? :)

Hope everything goes ok this week mate and you both can try to chill out and enjoy the biggest moment of your lifes so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day.:
    LOL. Having a baby to get out of paying the spare bedroom tax. Who said you Scots were on the tight side? :) Hope everything goes ok this week mate and you both can try to chill out and enjoy the biggest moment of your lifes so far.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    This is my point, its not a spare bedroom. Until 5 months ago i was happy in my 1 bed flat. Mel also gave up her house to move in about 12 months ago, so someone else could have it. The only reason we have a "spare" room is because Mel fell pregnant. Now if the baby wasnt due till July i have no issue ill pay, we clearly have a room that isnt needed. But the baby is due tomorrow, 1 week after the law came into action. I mean i know its like a tenner or something, but its the principle of the matter. 
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    April 8th

Well glad we didn't get into any huge arguements over Bedroom Tax. :) 

I'll start with life this time. Baby still hasn't arrived. If its not here by Thursday (11th) we've to visit midwife and get a date for inducing. Mel still isn;t feeling 100% but getting better. 

Pc has also been looked at. Although not perfect - sigh, but better than it was. Its actually useable now. 

Poker, so i gave pc a small test playing NL4, think a made about 12p. Went to NL20, lost a tenner. No bigger. Lag was unbearable though, missed so much action, cause i had no buttons. 

Anyways i took a breather and returned. Lot of interesting hands, but this second session was a session of dreams. One major losing hand, the next biggest was 30BB pot where i called off the river 15BB on a misclick. The next was under 10BB pot. 

I have 1 major winning hand where looking back im like urgh i got lucky there but the rest shows lots of promise i think. Sizing is improving. 

Bankroll: £355.08 (cash for points added since last update)

• Options
    ACEGOONERACEGOONER Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2013
    April 8th Well glad we didn't get into any huge arguements over Bedroom Tax. :)  I'll start with life this time. Baby still hasn't arrived. If its not here by Thursday (11th) we've to visit midwife and get a date for inducing. Mel still isn;t feeling 100% but getting better.  Pc has also been looked at. Although not perfect - sigh, but better than it was. Its actually useable now.  Poker, so i gave pc a small test playing NL4, think a made about 12p. Went to NL20, lost a tenner. No bigger. Lag was unbearable though, missed so much action, cause i had no buttons.  Anyways i took a breather and returned. Lot of interesting hands, but this second session was a session of dreams. One major losing hand, the next biggest was 30BB pot where i called off the river 15BB on a misclick. The next was under 10BB pot.  I have 1 major winning hand where looking back im like urgh i got lucky there but the rest shows lots of promise i think. Sizing is improving.  Bankroll: £355.08 (cash for points added since last update) Points: 203
    Posted by The_Don90

Meh as its you and your a good bloke,  I'll let you off the bedroom tax arguement ! 

This is a poker thread after all, must be stressful trying to play knowing that youve got a nipper on the way shortly. Have you been practising nappy changing and online grinding, what you gonna do when you get to that final table and the mrs says do the nappy love!

• Options
    edited April 2013
    April 10th

Sorrry for a lack of updates been tring to avoid poker only updates. unfortunely when all you do i wait, theres not much else to do. 

So In responce to Acegooner - mel knows the script. We've got an agreement where i do my share, probably going to involve alot of late nights for me.  Which suits as i don't sleep well, while i help out during the day, but that will be mostly her share, at least for the time being. This is also partly why ive focused so much on cash lately. 

So life. Well with a graphics card back in my PC i can finally play alot of the games ive had for it and not had the chance to play/complete. I've taken this opportunity to crack on with Command and Conquer 4. I love these tactical warfare games. This one disappoints me a little though, used to love the base building attack/defend technique where this is just Capture a point, move on capture point etc. etc. Back on the C&C3 expansion - Kanes Wrath i used to love Skirmishes with Insane AI. Literally could take hours having a single battle and one wrong desision could add another hour to the battle, if not cost you defeat. It was also a huge turning point for me in life, it helped me settle my head, i was annoyed at myself for making mistakes. Which i have since transfered into other aspects of life including my poker game. 

So onto poker. yesterday i played the main, mini and some cash. I doubled early in the main, but sometimes it just isnt to be. My KK beat JJ all in pre resulted in a table move. Soon after that UTG limped, Button 6x'd, SB peeled i had AKs in BB. Meh shove (SB was effective stack witharound 40BB, BTN had 28BB and UTG had similar to BTN) given its a 6x raise i think a shove is completely standard. BTN calls with JJ, SB calls with A9o. 9xxxx run out leaves me with 10BB. Very annoying. So then i shove 88, shorter stack and A9 guy call. Shorter stack has AA. A9 guy has K3. xxxxx runout, i have 6BB. Eventually i get back up to 3k, but then lose a flip v the A9 guy. Sometimes its just their night lol. 

The mini went slightly better. I took 2 heads for the equivelent of the buy in and got a min cash on top. Exit was annoying, id won a flip the hand before shoving 33 UTG, BB called i held. Think i actually hit a set and he hit top 2 pair, although all in pre so irelevant really. So this hand im BB. Folded to button who limps, i check my 92o. Flop comes 972 with 2 diamonds. I bet, he shoves i snap. He flips over J9dd. Turn 7 - sigh. River diamonded just to make sure aswell. 

Anyways cash. Had lots of interesting hands. Made a couple of mistakes, and table selection wasn't on the cards. Found myself on probably one of the most aggressive NL20 tables there has ever been. Have to say it was nice to play against better players. I know people will now be saying WTF you want to make money. But to learn to play at a better level we have to learn from better players, now i can listen to them in the clinic until the cows come home, but there really is no better learning tool than experiance. I adapted and tried somethings that against most low stakes players i wouldn't, i spoke to 2 or 3 of them since saying that i played some hands i wasn't sure on well. - they could be saying that but they also gave pretty solid reasoning, which matched what i thought at the time on the table. It was only when i looked back i thought urgh thats pretty spewy. I actually made a small profit from this too. Allthough i was down from a previous mistake earlier. 

I did also play today for a small period, tiredness got the better of me really, and if im honest it just didnt feel right. I made another tiny profit. 

Bankroll: £348.60

Mel gets her inducing date tomorrow, so that will get us a latest the baby is due date. Hoping to get a strong session in too. 
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    April 11th

Firstly Mel seen midwife today, if the baby hasn't arrived before Tuesday then she has her induction then. Still can take time after that but basically that starts her off. Have to admit, I don't like waiting and would just like the wee one to arrive. 

I have also priced a new pc and im comming to a thought that i may just order it soon, this pc has been of great loyal service for over 5-6 years, its still of decent spec but maybe it is time to invest. 

In poker news, i played for a while today, probably my longest solo cash session for a while. Was horrid for large chunks of it. I won't sugar coat i made a good few mistakes, a couple of coolers and it felt like it wasn't my night. I talked myself into playing on, tried out some things, and then got into a 7bet pot with Dohhhhhh. Turns out it was QQ v AK and i held. Then i got lucky v Greghogg who had KK i had AK.  Given our historical dynamic it still seems standard. 

If I'm honest when i first joined sky i wasnt very good as a player. I won some lost most, like most fish. I improved a little each time i played. My development as a player seemed to stall, and i had a bad year, which didnt help, expessially given my mental situations. I personally thought I might have reached my potential. However this last 8 weeks or so, i feel like ive added so much to my game. Obviously having some money in the account helps and running good at the start allowed that. I feel that now, im a much better player than i was at the start of 2013. 

Bankroll: £369.90

• Options
    _ARAZI__ARAZI_ Member Posts: 549
    edited April 2013
    April 11th Firstly Mel seen midwife today, if the baby hasn't arrived before Tuesday then she has her induction then. Still can take time after that but basically that starts her off. Have to admit, I don't like waiting and would just like the wee one to arrive.  I have also priced a new pc and im comming to a thought that i may just order it soon, this pc has been of great loyal service for over 5-6 years, its still of decent spec but maybe it is time to invest.  In poker news, i played for a while today, probably my longest solo cash session for a while. Was horrid for large chunks of it. I won't sugar coat i made a good few mistakes, a couple of coolers and it felt like it wasn't my night. I talked myself into playing on, tried out some things, and then got into a 7bet pot with Dohhhhhh. Turns out it was QQ v AK and i held. Then i got lucky v Greghogg who had KK i had AK.  Given our historical dynamic it still seems standard.  If I'm honest when i first joined sky i wasnt very good as a player. I won some lost most, like most fish. I improved a little each time i played. My development as a player seemed to stall, and i had a bad year, which didnt help, expessially given my mental situations. I personally thought I might have reached my potential. However this last 8 weeks or so, i feel like ive added so much to my game. Obviously having some money in the account helps and running good at the start allowed that. I feel that now, im a much better player than i was at the start of 2013.  Bankroll: £369.90 Points: 405
    Posted by The_Don90

Without any shadow of doubt Don mate you are a 10 times better player imo than the first time i played you.

The very fact that you enjoy sitting on the mastercash tables on show nights shows that you have more and more confidence in your game because those tables must play at least twice as hard as a normal day if not more imo.

FWIW I only ever sit at tables outside of a show night if i see value there and now i wouldnt sit at yours for any other reason than to have a bit of banter with ya.

Best of luck and keep it up mate and just remember not to get so stubborn at times with your hands because even the weaker players at the table hit cards sometimes :)

Daz
  • Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited April 2013
    wow

turned on the tv last night and there was the Don on Mastercash. Never thought I'd see the day. Was feeling for you on the AK/KK hand, until the infamous Skyriver showed up. With friends like that .......

congrats on your new mental state of play, and glgl for the future in every way
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    April 12th

Poker update only.

Thanks Daz. :) Good banter on table tonight, enjoyed it.

Thanks Geldy i played alot recently but you where busy enjoyingthe far east - probably better than watching me on mastercash to be fair.

Anyways today we have alot to cover i started mid-afternoon gave up because of serious lag. +£6 was result.I noticed the other day my internet connection was appauling and my pc was saying 50% useage i was like really why. Turn out i was connected via wireless and my adapter has gave up.

I played some mtts and sats later on. I have qualified for the £2 CJ eliminator, but -£25 for mtt session.

So going into tonight i wasnt going to play. But got talking to a friend on facebook who was talking of playing. I eventually decided to play - 2 tables of NL20. Mixed feelings, i finnsihed just under  a buy in down, but feel elated to have just lost a single buy in.

One thing im going to post, Is this hand.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    dayv121 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £17.85
    jimigav Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £35.01
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

TheRaven Fold     
    BatDonk Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £16.10
    The_Don90 Raise  £1.20 £1.90 £27.40
    xCall  £1.20 £3.10 £49.82
    dayv121 Fold     
    jimigav Fold     
    BatDonk Fold     
    Flop

• Q

The_Don90 Bet  £1.75 £4.85 £25.65
    xCall  £1.75 £6.60 £48.07
    Turn

• K

The_Don90 Bet  £3.50 £10.10 £22.15
    xCall  £3.50 £13.60 £44.57
    River

The_Don90 Bet  £7.00 £20.60 £15.15
    xRaise  £14.00 £34.60 £30.57
    The_Don90 Call  £7.00 £41.60 £8.15
    xShow
    • A

The_Don90 Muck
    • A
    • A

xWin Three 7s £39.80  £70.37
    The reason i post this is because my friend who was watching said afterwards i can fold river. The reason i didnt is i dont see enough QQ/KK/55/7x hands in his range.

Id like further opinions on this. Opponent is a known reg, capable of mixing it up.

Bankroll: £332.92

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Ive also ordered my new pc today. I posted sperately as im posting specs for others opinions. 

Processor - Intel i5 3470 3.20 GHz Quad Core (id have prefered an i7 but this was much more in budget and better than the 8 cores of similar price according to my reasearch) 

8 gig RAM. 

USB3 based motherboard cant remember exactly. 

I was going to get a new hard drvie, but after much debate, theres nothing wrong with the one i have, and its still 500Gig in size and had 400gig free afer 6 years, will probably upgrade later in the year tho. 

I will also be keeping my gfx card, my gfx card was removed 6 months ago because we thought it was broke, turns out it was a failing power pack - which was replaced 3 months ago. We tested it last month again so keeping that. 

For the record GFX card is ATI Radeon HD 4800 series. Not sure if thats good but i get ultra high specs on most games and windows gives it a 7.3 rating - max 7.9 
  • Options
    _ARAZI__ARAZI_ Member Posts: 549
    edited April 2013
    The clickback raise on river from a known reg has you beat almost 100% of the time there mate, the small percentage that it dosnt have you beat would be missclicks lol :)
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited April 2013
    I do misclick alot!  :-)
  • Options
    liamboi11liamboi11 Member Posts: 2,141
    edited April 2013
    The clickback raise on river from a known reg has you beat almost 100% of the time there mate, the small percentage that it dosnt have you beat would be missclicks lol :)
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    +1 to this
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2013
    +1 to the others. The click back on the river is very rarely gonna be a hand you can beat.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Today

I give up. Poker is a joke. Every **** fish calls with ATC always hits. I cant do jack. gg

BR: 266 ish 

Points who actually cares. 
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited April 2013
    Hate them sessions where it feels like everyone can see your cards. Like everytime you open w/ AA, snap folds, everytime you open KJo you get 3bet. Everytime you c-bet with the goods, snap folds, every time you c-bet a missed flop, you get clicked back. Not losing any big pots, but just a 15xBB top every 5 mins... very quickly adds up.