You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Racism.

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Well, do they contact anyone else about the forum/threads, maybe they do I don't know but I've never seen or heard it before that's why I find it strange
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,056
    stokefc said:

Well, do they contact anyone else about the forum/threads, maybe they do I don't know but I've never seen or heard it before that's why I find it strange

Do you think I am lying then?
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It was obviously someone from Skypoker, not Sky News, or Sky TV.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Have i ever said that, I don't particularly care if they have or haven't, I've just never seen or heard Sky doing that
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Have i ever said that, I don't particularly care if they have or haven't, I've just never seen or heard Sky doing that

Ok.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Well you have now.
  • Options
    Police racism inquiries in the UK: Do they change how things work?

Do the police racially discriminate against people from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) communities?

That's what a new investigation is going to ask in the wake of George Floyd's death and anti-racism protests.

It's being done by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) - which handles complaints about officers' behaviour in England and Wales.

Some of the more controversial parts of policing, like stop and search tactics, are going to be looked at.

It's the latest in a long line of reports focusing on racism.

There's sometimes criticism these reviews don't change things - and can be used to give the impression of taking action while ignoring real problems.

We've looked at some of the biggest ones focused on policing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-53365011
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    edited August 2020
    Without looking at the article and from my understanding profiling occurs in this county and is not new.

The issue with the media is that they will keep a "hot topic" going and BLM is one of those just now. It picks up on stories which may have not been used otherwise while stoking emotions and a few fires, in some ways rightly.

In others it's finding racism where there is no racism to be had, the Coco pops article is one on those that stick out. If anyone thinks all of a sudden the monkey that's been a symbol for Coco Pops can't be on a cereal box (aimed at children btw) then that is silly.

I fear for the adults of tomorrow when you see non-issues being used in the news media to create racism debates.

No-one on this thread has typed out anything remotely racist or supported any racism. It's a different opinion which is the main thing for a healthy discussion. Have enjoyed reading parts of this thread however there has been a load of bumff in here too.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    I know racists read other newspapers and not all Mail readers are racist but this really sickens me

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,321

@Phantom66

Just when you think nothing else could shock you....

Sickening, absolutely repulsive.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ^^^^^

You cannot legislate for that. Awful comments!
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

I know racists read other newspapers and not all Mail readers are racist but this really sickens me

Just sick.
  • Options

Recruiter Kamran Chaudhry reveals job-seeker who shares 'racist' and 'anti-BLM' social media posts rejected an interview because his NAME 'put him off' - and says 'this s*** happens every day'

Recruitment consultant Kamran Chaudhry , who lives in Edinburgh, posted a screenshot on Twitter of his exchange with a job seeker. The racist candidate rejected his offer for an interview.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8646551/Recruiter-urged-shame-job-applicant-refused-interview-name.html

• Options
    Cammykaze said:

Hope this don't come across as disrespectful @HAYSIE and from a general outsider.

The rail seems to have a load of Daily Mail articles. Would you be able to have them in the one thread?

Many of the Mail articles are similar to the format of the one below, and seem to be the bare facts.
    However, they can be disputed.

Police charge 'fake psychiatrist' who worked for NHS for 22 years despite having no qualifications' with 13 fraud offences

Zholia Alemi, 57, formerly from High Harrington, who worked for the NHS for 22 years despite allegedly not having any qualifications, has been charged with 13 fraud offences.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Without looking at the article and from my understanding profiling occurs in this county and is not new.

The issue with the media is that they will keep a "hot topic" going and BLM is one of those just now. It picks up on stories which may have not been used otherwise while stoking emotions and a few fires, in some ways rightly.

In others it's finding racism where there is no racism to be had, the Coco pops article is one on those that stick out. If anyone thinks all of a sudden the monkey that's been a symbol for Coco Pops can't be on a cereal box (aimed at children btw) then that is silly.

I fear for the adults of tomorrow when you see non-issues being used in the news media to create racism debates.

No-one on this thread has typed out anything remotely racist or supported any racism. It's a different opinion which is the main thing for a healthy discussion. Have enjoyed reading parts of this thread however there has been a load of bumff in here too.

Racism in general is a massive topic, and therefore difficult to debate.

I think you can divide it into two categories, which are genuine, and political correctness.

I think that the only way to address the problem is by education.

People seem very quick to jump on the racism bandwagon, and when you analyse a particular incident that concerns a black person, many seem quick to to jump on to this bandwagon.

I would agree with Mike, in that there is no proof that the George Floyd incident was racist. Although when you consider the stats, they seem to point to the fact that similar incidents are more likely to involve black people.

When you consider the stop and search stats, they would seem to prove that the police are racist.

I just think that the police on both sides of the Atlantic have been slow to adapt to modern technology, in that in the past they may well have been able to get away with questionable behaviour, as it used to just involve their word against that of a criminal, and the authorities would generally side with the police.

It is virtually impossible to get away with this behaviour these days as these incidents are likely to be recorded.

The police have been very slow to wise up to this.

I think that the police have to prioritise catching criminals rather than political correctness.

I dont think that we should tie their hands by discouraging them from stopping and searching a non white person, in order to address the stats.

I dread to think how much or their time is taken up in reporting, and recording each stop and search, rather than catching criminals.

Maybe we should accept the fact that the police have the right to stop and search anyone that appears to be suspicious to them, not record them, and trust that the police will not racially profile.

I am certain that knife crime could be reduced by more stopping and searching, in addition to tougher sentencing.

The same should apply to stopping cars. This would put an end the need for the police having to come up with unjustifiable excuses, like unusual driving, and out of the area addresses.

I am certain that the overwhelming majority of the general public would be in favour of the police being involved in less controversy, catching more criminals, and appearing to be less racist.

You could go on forever, but I am not going to.

Lastly, I posted an article about a young black child that was christened choclate face by other kids. You can call this racist, you can question how kids this young can be racist, or you can blame the parents.
    Alternatively you could put it down to kids being conscious of the differences between themselves and other kids, and having no malicious intent.
    Maybe we should create bandwagons for all the fatties, four eyes, big ears, etc. etc. to jump on.
  • Options
    'Officers feel under siege': Police are now filming incidents on their mobile phones so they can refute claims of racism made online

Police officers feel mounting anger at being erroneously ‘named and shamed’
    Met Police Federation chair Ken Marsh says PCs feel it is for their own protection
    Comments come after high profile accusations of racial profiling including the stop of black MP Dawn Butler who shared partial video clips to social media

Ken Marsh, chairman of the Met Police Federation says amid mounting anger at being erroneously shamed, officers are keeping personal records of exchanges 'for their own
    protection'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8654727/Police-filming-incidents-mobile-phones-refute-claims-racism-online.html

• Options
    Don't blame any police officer who uses their own camera and mic to refute any racism claims.

What a dog of a job that is and is becoming. Too much histrionics from the public to make that a good job.

We talk too much (as a population) about our entitlement, our rights and about what gender we want to be referred to instead of looking out for one another which is the basis of human decency.

Race, colour and gender should be a non-issue. Going with what the news media report on and a couple of personal experiences these topics are a big thing and causes people to be more wary of saying too much or self-censoring some words. Some words cannot be defended of course and it's going back to common sense and courtesy.

BLM I am sure had started with the best of intentions by people who had genuine concerns about how black people are marginalised. I completely understand and agree with that, they have been and continue to be as a whole. What I don't agree with is the "brand" of BLM being used in so many parts of society to almost batter people into submission if they don't agree with certain areas of it.

I was watching the boxing last night and there was a BLM symbol at the corner of the screen. Boxing is political enough as it is and seems this idea isn't going to go away any time soon. Right in some ways however it's difficult to completely get behind when it's in your face so much. Sport and politics should stay seperate and it's not the best way to get the message across in my view.

A few have mentioned that it's down to education and I think it's upbringing as well. Anytime I see a child being inappropriate my immediate thought goes to what the childs home life and parents are like. Silent parental judging going on there :naughty:

There is no handbook for parenting as a wise man once told me :smiley:
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Don't blame any police officer who uses their own camera and mic to refute any racism claims.

What a dog of a job that is and is becoming. Too much histrionics from the public to make that a good job.

We talk too much (as a population) about our entitlement, our rights and about what gender we want to be referred to instead of looking out for one another which is the basis of human decency.

Race, colour and gender should be a non-issue. Going with what the news media report on and a couple of personal experiences these topics are a big thing and causes people to be more wary of saying too much or self-censoring some words. Some words cannot be defended of course and it's going back to common sense and courtesy.

BLM I am sure had started with the best of intentions by people who had genuine concerns about how black people are marginalised. I completely understand and agree with that, they have been and continue to be as a whole. What I don't agree with is the "brand" of BLM being used in so many parts of society to almost batter people into submission if they don't agree with certain areas of it.

I was watching the boxing last night and there was a BLM symbol at the corner of the screen. Boxing is political enough as it is and seems this idea isn't going to go away any time soon. Right in some ways however it's difficult to completely get behind when it's in your face so much. Sport and politics should stay seperate and it's not the best way to get the message across in my view.

A few have mentioned that it's down to education and I think it's upbringing as well. Anytime I see a child being inappropriate my immediate thought goes to what the childs home life and parents are like. Silent parental judging going on there :naughty:

There is no handbook for parenting as a wise man once told me :smiley:

You have covered a lot there, and I wouldnt disagree with much of it.

I think the police need strong leadership, but they depend very much on the Government.

I think that being a front line police officer is a thankless job.

The police force is going backwards in many areas.

Their stats on solving crime are shocking.

When you consider how knife crime has increased, then you have to be in favour of stop and search, but stop and search alone is not the answer.

Particularly when you see those that are guilty laughing on their way out of Court.

Tougher sentences will surely discourage offenders.

I also dont think that the measures have been sold to the public very well.

If the public was told that they may be randomly stopped walking down the street or in their car, they wouldnt kick off so much.

This would obviously apply to everyone, even MPs, and athletes.

This would stop the police having to come up with pathetic, unbelievable excuses.

Why have you stopped me? Your driving was unusual, or a Yorkshire address came up, just sounds bo llocks.

"Why have you stopped me?" "Its just random" "Oh fair enough"

Being random and applicable to everyone is so much better, and cant start off with denials, accusations, and immediately start a row.

I watched a programme the other night about young offenders that we are supposed to be rehabilitating.

One was let out on an early release.

He lasted a couple of days before being returned for continually breaking his curfew.

There were a couple of others that were responsible for 25, and 43 burglaries.

These people are probably just nuisances to the police.

Maybe we should follow the Americans with life with no parole for murder and other serious offences, and 3 strikes and you are out.

We seem to go around in circles on these debates and never get anywhere.

How do you deal with people that have no respect for authority?

I am certain that someone will be suggesting National Service soon, for the millionth time, which I think would be a very good idea.

I dont suppose there was much racism in that really, but there was a bit.
  • Options
    Maybe strayed in part however it's very frustrating. Racism is one part of a big societal picture.
  • Options
    The police are getting cut and the job is definitely not what it was years ago. They deal with too much **** and it is a tough job. No love, dealing with idiots and trying to stay professional. From a service side a bit of a nightmare.

Would hazard a guess a good few police officers are not particularly happy in their job with the additional pressure being put on them. Feel the same about the NHS staff.