You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Straight from the toes - Quickfeet's blog

Comments

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,275
    Nice to have you back @QUICKFEET. Glad you're recuperating and good luck at the tables.
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    Balance last week - £51.30
    Balance now - £68.85

I had more time to play poker this week – two sessions of 4p/2p cash per day on two tables for around at half an hour each.

Having had such a good first week after I switched to cash from DYM, I had a really bad session on Monday and lost £3 across two tables – I had no joy on either – but then I ran very good, leaving 11 tables in a row in profit (not sure if that’s good, but I was impressed!). The profit per table ranged from 2p to £9.04.

Keeping the run going became abit of a burden and in my last session on Saturday afternoon, with my chip stack on one table drifting down to £2, I went all in when I shouldn’t have and lost the entire £4 buy-in. I quickly left the other table with a £1.68 loss before I was tempted to repeat the mistake.

This afternoon I was in profit on 3 tables out of 4 so finished the week £17.55 in profit which I am pretty happy about. With the DYMs it had been a struggle just to break even. I am not sure whether my run will continue, some people on these tables seem to have very wide ranges. Perhaps they are stir crazy in lockdown at the moment.

It was sad to hear about Ray Clemence passing away this week. As a Liverpool fan and as goalkeeper was “my position”, at least when my parents kicked balls at me in the back garden (see below), Clem was my hero when I was growing up.

In the Noughties, various members of my extended family used to take me to Anfield quite often and I saw Ray in the precincts of the stadium prior to games when Spurs visited. Even in his later years, he had great presence. Maybe it was due to him being so tall and wearing a long black coat while I was low down in my wheelchair but he seemed huge!

On one occasion, the lady with him – his wife I assumed – saw that I was looking at Clem, gave me a huge smile and made a move towards Ray. I thought she was going to get him to turn round and say “hi” but when she realised he was deep in conversation with someone she changed her mind and my cousins wheeled me on towards our entry gate into the ground.

The thought occurred to me to stop my cousins so that we could wait for Ray to finish chatting but his wife may have been smiling at someone else… which would have been embarrassing!

Anyway, in recent years I had the pleasure of getting to know another goalkeeping hero from my childhood. Grenville Millington was the goalie for Chester FC when my mum used to take me to watch them in the 1970s when they won promotion from Division 4 – the only promotion from the fourth tier the club has ever had. They also reached the semi-final of the League Cup knocking out full strength sides from two First Division Uniteds – Leeds and Newcastle – along the way. Indeed, they came very close to beating Aston Villa and reaching Wembley but it was not to be…

A couple of years ago, with Chester FC having reformed as a fan-owned club, Grenville joined my Fundraising Working Group with the idea of introducing a Scratchcard scheme with the cards being sold by grass roots sports clubs so they would get income from commission at the same time as raising funds for the football club. He put a tremendous amount of hard work and effort into the project although, like so many things, Coronavirus has brought it to a halt.

The Fundraising Working Group met in a local pub and I used to think it would’ve blown the mind of my 8 year-old-self to be sitting in the pub chatting away to Grenville Millington... In fact, as I was Fundraising Director, I was his boss!
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Great to have you back posting. :)
  • Options
    Balance last week - £68.85
    Balance now – £54.45
    Weekly Profit/Loss – minus £14.40

Have been running bad both on and off the tables.

I had more time for poker this week, played up to 3 half hour sessions of 4p/2p cash a day on two tables and, although I have enjoyed it, I’ve finished with a loss of £14.40. I guess I must be this site’s dream if I get enjoyment from playing even when I lose!

I’ve often had good hands on tight tables so made little profit from them but rarely got dealt those hands when I have been on loose tables – the usual poker player’s excuses! I have also been abit tilty, especially at the start of the week when I managed to lose £6 in one session but, after much practice(!), I got better at leaving tables with a loss rather than chucking my remaining chips in cheaply.

Meanwhile, in real life, I bumped into my mother and knocked her flying yesterday. Because I have a wide headrest on wheelchair, I have a big blind spot and my mother has a habit of standing behind me.

I was at the kitchen table, I finished my drink and so I reversed away. I thought my mum was in another room but I heard her scream “Dave!” and then saw her fall forwards on to the tiled floor.

You hear of so many old people breaking bones in falls and she was lying next to the kitchen door blocking my route to get to the computer to summon help. I wondered what the heck I was going to do but, fortunately, she began to struggle to her feet almost immediately.

Aside from a headache, she was fine although she had a rather spectacular black eye this morning – she looked like a victim off Crimewatch.

It was a sickening feeling watching her hit the ground. I could do with mirrors on my wheelchair but it is so wide it only just fits through doors but we have now put a wall mirror in front of where I sit in the kitchen.
  • Options
    Glad your mum's OK, I don't know about mirrors it sounds like you need reversing sensors and that 'vehicle reversing, vehicle reversing' warning they have on HGVs nowadays.
  • Options
    Balance last week - £54.45
    Balance now – £80.70
    Weekly Profit/Loss – plus £26.25

It’s been quite a week for me on the virtual felt. It began badly on Monday lunchtime as I repeatedly lost with premium hands. In one instance AQ was beaten by 63o having flopped 5A5! At least the paired board dissuaded me from putting too much into the pot. Then I was a calling station on the rivers in the afternoon session. During the rest of the week my fortunes and bankroll improved dramatically.

From Tuesday, I decided to get to 10 Pokers Points (PP) each day to get a ticket for the December Daily draws. Apparently, according to Tikay’s report of the number of tickets sold on the first day, the chances of winning 1 of the draws is 6,700+ to 1 but there are 10 draws per day over 24 days which, according to my maths, means I have a circa 30 to 1 chance of winning one of £100 prizes before the end of the promotion assuming I hit the 10 PP target each time. You have to be in it to win it as they…

The problem was I have only been earning 5 to 7 PP per day 2 tabling 4p/2p Cash in 3 half hourish sessions so I decided to play a £5.50 DYM each day to ensure the target is reached. There was an obvious flaw in this plan in that if I lost the DYM on all 24 days, it would cost £132 but I have made a great start by winning on the first four days although I have lost both DYMs on Saturday and Sunday – frustratingly I was on the bubble each time.

Regardless of whether I win one of the draws, I have already had a “Christmas Bonus” from Sky Poker. On Wednesday and Thursday evening I had time to play the £1k Freerolls and cashed in both – for £10 and £2.

Away from the Poker, many of the club motor racing championships have released their calendars for 2021 so I have been busy updating various websites.

I am an only child but am very close to many of my cousins. During Covid, like many families, we have been doing a fortnightly quiz on Zoom. I was particularly pleased with the 10 “Cryptic Confectionery” questions I came up with this week. One of my cousins knows how my mind works and got most of them but everyone else rebuked me for setting too difficult questions! Here they are – how many can you get?

1) This sounds like your Mother’s treat
    2) This is a Galaxy (but the word “Galaxy” is not in the answer)
    3) Clever children in trousers
    4) Cat food without the “E” has large pieces of meat
    5) A Milk and Cheese producing container
    6) Olympic glory for this Class “A” barely discernible figure
    7) A vowel in the centre of the Artic
    8) An AEC Routemaster
    9) People who playfully irritate a key ingredient of Scotch Whisky
    10) A bloke’s fruit-of-the-Friesian sweet citrus treat
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,357
    Your poor Mum, great shes ok.

0.28p DYMs are worth 1 point.
  • Options
    Your family are right....they are very hard questions!

3) Smartie Pants??

As for the rest, pass!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    2) Milky way.
    3) Smarties.
    4) Wispas. @Glenelg Kitkat looks better.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550
    8) Double Decker
  • Options
    4) kitkat?
  • Options
    1) Mars!
  • Options
    9) Malteser
  • Options
    9) Maltesers?
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    5. Dairy Box
  • Options
    7) Tracker.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,001
    6. Wispa Gold?
  • Options
    Ahhh should have read properly, might have helped.They are all chocolate!

Yeah 3) Smarties haha

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,321

Excellent quiz @QUICKFEET
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @Tikay10 pretty sure you woulda got no. 8?