You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Mark Walks

TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
The concept is simple enough, walk 10,000 steps every day throughout March and raise money for cancer research.

This was something I thought long and hard about.
On one hand as I become increasingly aware of more people, family, friends, Church collegues etc, who are stricken with some form of cancer, the desire to do something gets stronger.
On the other hand I'm 57, grossly overweight at over 24 stone, have little cardio fitness, arthritic knees and am by nature not an athlete in the traditional sense.

Also, consider the wording, does it mean 10,000 steps total over the course of a 24hr day or is it 10,000 steps specifically in aid of cancer research.

I decided after consulting with those I love that despite the enormity of it I was going to walk 10k steps specifically every day for the cause.

That equates, for my stride length to approximately 8 - 10k depending on the terrain or 5 - 6.25 miles which equals about 3 hours of continual movement. Told you I was not at all fit.

The consensus of opinion from most people who think they know me is that I will fail and spectacularly at that. I have been told not to blog or keep a diary as this will only enhance the humiliation when I have to pack it in and admit defeat.

Those who really understand me take a more supportive view.

Whatever, the die is cast, the letters of authority, obtained, sponsor forms passed out, just giving page created and walking kit sorted.

Monday is "The Day" and whilst I know its going to hurt, certainly until the body recovers from the initial shock, I'm really looking forward to it.
I was toying with the idea of putting a link to my just giving page but decided that I will wait until later in the challenge as I want you the reader to interact with me on a personal level.

Thats right guys n gals, encourage, make fun, empathise, sympathise, give advice and get involved with this. If I'm going to suffer, somebody may as well get a laugh out of it.

Later if you think my efforts merit it I may ask for a donation, but in the meantime I'm happy just to be raising the profile and walking the walk.

Love to y'all

Mark

Comments

• SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    "Walking is man's best medicine" - Hippocrates

"If we're facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking" - David Brent

Best of luck with this, will defo keep an eye on your progress.
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Good luck with this Mark. It does look like a tough challenge TBH, with it being every day. I am sure you will give it you best shot regardless.

I will make a donation when the page is up and running. *

I remember GARYQQQ doing his challenge a few years back (Lands End to John O' Groats) and I am in awe of those who push themselves like this. I sort of joined Gary in part of his leg through Staffordshire. Well, I met him in the pub where he was staying, and walked to the Bar and back a few times. ;)

I might even join you for a walk and talk one day throughout your challenge**

*100% promise
    **10% promise
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 6,968

The concept is simple enough, walk 10,000 steps every day throughout March and raise money for cancer research.

This was something I thought long and hard about.
    On one hand as I become increasingly aware of more people, family, friends, Church collegues etc, who are stricken with some form of cancer, the desire to do something gets stronger.
    On the other hand I'm 57, grossly overweight at over 24 stone, have little cardio fitness, arthritic knees and am by nature not an athlete in the traditional sense.

Also, consider the wording, does it mean 10,000 steps total over the course of a 24hr day or is it 10,000 steps specifically in aid of cancer research.

I decided after consulting with those I love that despite the enormity of it I was going to walk 10k steps specifically every day for the cause.

That equates, for my stride length to approximately 8 - 10k depending on the terrain or 5 - 6.25 miles which equals about 3 hours of continual movement. Told you I was not at all fit.

The consensus of opinion from most people who think they know me is that I will fail and spectacularly at that. I have been told not to blog or keep a diary as this will only enhance the humiliation when I have to pack it in and admit defeat.

Those who really understand me take a more supportive view.

Whatever, the die is cast, the letters of authority, obtained, sponsor forms passed out, just giving page created and walking kit sorted.

Monday is "The Day" and whilst I know its going to hurt, certainly until the body recovers from the initial shock, I'm really looking forward to it.
    I was toying with the idea of putting a link to my just giving page but decided that I will wait until later in the challenge as I want you the reader to interact with me on a personal level.

Thats right guys n gals, encourage, make fun, empathise, sympathise, give advice and get involved with this. If I'm going to suffer, somebody may as well get a laugh out of it.

Later if you think my efforts merit it I may ask for a donation, but in the meantime I'm happy just to be raising the profile and walking the walk.

Love to y'all

Mark

Good Luck with this challenge and I'll be following this thread with interest. The bold bits I've highlighted almost described myself. In September I was shocked to discover that I weighed 23 Stone (heaviest I've ever been in my 55 years) I blame lockdown :D . However I decided to do something about it and to cut a long story short, five months later I'm down to 18 Stone having lost 5 Stone. The only reason I'm mentioning this is that if you combine the challenge with a low calorie eating plan (I won't say the 'Diet' word) you'll be shocked at how much you can actually lose in the month,thus giving you the incentive to carry on with the low calorie plan after the challenge. If you do decide to go the route I've suggested I'm more than happy to give you any advice or help that you may need. Don't listen to the naysayers as their opinions don't count,do it for your own reasons and objective. Good luck and believe me this challenge could help you as much as the cause you're doing it for.
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,427
    Ready Steady ......

£5.00 E/W from me.......... E exit £5.00 .... W win £10.00

• GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,541
    Another good luck Mark.
    Just wondering tho (you may have mentioned this, so apologies if i missed it)
    Have you been out walking prior to this challenge?
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 158,833

Best of luck with this Mark.

I'm sure you will succeed, & if you do fail it will not be for lack of effort or heart.

Do be careful not to over-do it though.
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,075
    Glenelg said:

Another good luck Mark.
    Just wondering tho (you may have mentioned this, so apologies if i missed it)
    Have you been out walking prior to this challenge?

I, have been doing some walks but they have tended to be up to 5,000 steps every other day and some power walking sessions over very short 500m distance.

I am aware that this leaves me woefully short of training and preparation but as we only received our vaccinations last Wednesday and my wife shields due to health conditions it was a case of do what you can.

The areas I have chosen to walk in are quite friendly in that there are provisions to stop and rest before continuing also all routes are circular with some requiring several laps in order to complete the necessary objective.

I will be very conscious of the requirement to not overdo it and cause myself injury or harm because although there is provision to extend the challenge should circumstances dictate, I am the primary, and in the current situation, sole carer for my wife. So if for any reason I become incapacitated then the effects go further than just the challenge.

• GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,541
    Ah ok thats good.
    Am a long term runner so know that the human body is VERY clever.
    E.g. If you run 2 miles today, the body says "oh dear, he ran 2 miles today, i better repair myself & be prepared for 2 miles+ next time"
    Another piece of advice....only increase mileage by 10% per week. Gives body time to repair.
    Good Luck.

How is it going today?
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,615
    good luck with this challenge Mark
    take it easy and you'll be just fine
    DAY 1 Westport Lake ST6.

The first thought that struck me when I got out of the car was blooming heck that breeze is a bit keen and so I wasted little time booting up, adjusting poles and zipping into the outer layer. Gloves errm gloves, oh cr4p I dont have them with me, ok not to worry lets get this challenge on the road, well path to be specific and off I set.

Two runners come past all lycra, blond pony tails and very distracting and I try to settle into some form of rhythm.

In an effort to lengthen the circuit and lesson the number of people I have to smile at and answer their "good mornings", I elect to go through the conservation area. Whilst I am a very social animal I am not one of those people who wears his agony for the benefit of others.

As this path spits me back onto the main track I am amazed at how many people are exercising around the lake, old, young, families, dog walkers, bird watchers complete with cammo wear and expensive looking kit and runners of all shapes sizes and apparrel.

After the first circuit I check the Fit Pro and now it strikes home, it's going to be a long morning. A couple of very attractive ladies stroll past talking animatedly about vegan cooking whilst pushing buggies and I start my second circuit.

The benefit of this place is an abundance of seating and by now I'm utilising it as both the back and knees start to give protest, the yummy mummies lap me still chatting away and I withdraw into my own private cocoon of misery as the second circuit nears completion.

I do some quick calculations based on the first two circuits and realise I need to add about 600 steps to the final lap otherwise I'm going to end up back at the car short of target. I am vaguely aware of the yummies lapping me yet again, is there a pushchcair olympics ? because these ladies are putting in serious volume, and decide to do a canal towpath section as well.

By now I'm really not functioning, I'm simply existing to finish, I've lost all interest in bits of snatched conversations of passers by, the sun is out and it's hot inside the jacket. I allow myself to berate myself for lack of forethought. A quality mid layer would have been better than the base and jacket combination I elected for and such was the intensity of my introspection before I'm aware of it I'm suddenly at the car.

I check the Fit Pro, it reads.

Time 2h 51m 12s
    Distance 4.58 miles
    Steps 10,114
    Cals 1832

Slow? oh yes absolutely, but it's all about the steps.

Happy? very although now I'm aware of whats required it is, if anything, even more scarey

I am absolutely knackered, my knees hurt, my ankles ache, my legs stubbornly refuse to obey simple commands and I think the onset of chafe is imminent. On the flip side I was not as breathless as I expected and the pulse rate never went silly so thats something that I can be happy with.

I'm fully expecting the next 3/4 days to be the roughest then I hope the body starts to get used to the regimen.

Have a great day.

Mark
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,483
    Good start and 1st report Mark, well done.

Take some pics next time please. (not of the walk scenery, just the yummy mummies ;) )

Ahh, chafe. Is there anything worse?
  • QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    Execellent start... especially as your cardio vascular system appeared to be holding up ok... hopefully the rest of your body will quickly get used to this.
  • pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Hi Mark
    As a lifelong fatboy I know the aches and pains , I know them well.
    I always hated going out walking, wondering what other people thought , especially when all the efforts bring sweat stains and chafing means doing a John Cleese ministry of silly walks.
    However , people who are out and about exercising understand these things, and, in my experience are always willing to offer a smile , good morning and cheerful wave. They understand that everyone has to start somewhere. They would give you help if you needed as they will appreciate you are making the effort.
    Yes today will be hard, tonight cramp might come and visit, but don’t be put off. You have taken the hardest step of all, the first one, in a weeks time you will still have aches and pains , but probably not as bad. If you can keep it up, keep going, even when your brain doesn’t want you to get ready to go out, it will get easier as you get fitter and you lose weight and add muscle memory. The greatest feeling will be sometime in the future when tight clothes are suddenly looser, a notch on the belt , which has been underused for some time, is employed. Bending, getting up and down stairs becomes easier. Trust me these things will happen, if you can keep going.
    Something I have found useful when I started walking distances was to put the earphones in and listen to music, I know some listen to audio books, anything that keeps you going , distracts the mind from complaining about a twinge or ache.
    Keep it up, behind you all the way.
    Nick
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212

DAY 1 Westport Lake ST6.

The first thought that struck me when I got out of the car was blooming heck that breeze is a bit keen and so I wasted little time booting up, adjusting poles and zipping into the outer layer. Gloves errm gloves, oh cr4p I dont have them with me, ok not to worry lets get this challenge on the road, well path to be specific and off I set.

Two runners come past all lycra, blond pony tails and very distracting and I try to settle into some form of rhythm.

In an effort to lengthen the circuit and lesson the number of people I have to smile at and answer their "good mornings", I elect to go through the conservation area. Whilst I am a very social animal I am not one of those people who wears his agony for the benefit of others.

As this path spits me back onto the main track I am amazed at how many people are exercising around the lake, old, young, families, dog walkers, bird watchers complete with cammo wear and expensive looking kit and runners of all shapes sizes and apparrel.

After the first circuit I check the Fit Pro and now it strikes home, it's going to be a long morning. A couple of very attractive ladies stroll past talking animatedly about vegan cooking whilst pushing buggies and I start my second circuit.

The benefit of this place is an abundance of seating and by now I'm utilising it as both the back and knees start to give protest, the yummy mummies lap me still chatting away and I withdraw into my own private cocoon of misery as the second circuit nears completion.

I do some quick calculations based on the first two circuits and realise I need to add about 600 steps to the final lap otherwise I'm going to end up back at the car short of target. I am vaguely aware of the yummies lapping me yet again, is there a pushchcair olympics ? because these ladies are putting in serious volume, and decide to do a canal towpath section as well.

By now I'm really not functioning, I'm simply existing to finish, I've lost all interest in bits of snatched conversations of passers by, the sun is out and it's hot inside the jacket. I allow myself to berate myself for lack of forethought. A quality mid layer would have been better than the base and jacket combination I elected for and such was the intensity of my introspection before I'm aware of it I'm suddenly at the car.

I check the Fit Pro, it reads.

Time 2h 51m 12s
    Distance 4.58 miles
    Steps 10,114
    Cals 1832

Slow? oh yes absolutely, but it's all about the steps.

Happy? very although now I'm aware of whats required it is, if anything, even more scarey

I am absolutely knackered, my knees hurt, my ankles ache, my legs stubbornly refuse to obey simple commands and I think the onset of chafe is imminent. On the flip side I was not as breathless as I expected and the pulse rate never went silly so thats something that I can be happy with.

I'm fully expecting the next 3/4 days to be the roughest then I hope the body starts to get used to the regimen.

Have a great day.

Mark

After reading your posts it's inspired me to get af ma erse, I lost ma sister,brother and mum to this shite illness, so am goin to try and do 10,000 steps each day in March and for every 10,000 I do I will give a £, it's not much but things are tight at the moment.
    I lost about 1 & 1/2 stone before xmas but I put 1stone back on so this will be my incentive to drop a bit of weight.
    I was goin to do it on the exercise bike but ma erse and hips 'n' haws were goin numb, so I started walkin today.

11,709 steps
    2.7 miles distance
    1hr 25 mins time
    196 kcals

Am doin this on an app on my iphone, don't know how accurate it is.
    Good luck in your endeavour I will read with interest.

Very sorry to hear about your family @rabdeniro

Great work today, hope you keep it up.
    edited March 2021
    Rab that's brilliant. Not only can you help to raise money to help battle a terrible disease but you can also help your own health into the bargain.

It doesnt matter how accurate the app is regarding distance / time / cals etc. The step counter will be a constant and thats the important one.

Walk the walk.

So sorry that you have lost family to this horror.

Good luck buddy
  • rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,212
    edited March 2021
    Day 2 10,019 steps, backs gowpin, enough for today.
    Day 2 Part 1 Westport Lake ST6

It rhymes with clucking bell. That was the initial thought as I tried to get out of bed this morning to find everything was in need of WD40.

Seriously nothing seemed to want to work and for the first 20 minutes I was like Bambi on ice as I alternatively groaned and swore my way into some semblance of normal function ever mindful that the missus wont be impressed if I cant discharge my daily responsibilities. The choice between agony and spousal dissaproval was, lets be honest, only ever go one way and by lunchtime I'm sort of functioning.

Eventually it's time to hit the trail and pretty much the same scenarios as yesterday and for the first circuit and a half it's slow but methodical, cardio is ok, breathing is steady, knees are a little sore but ok, legs a little heavy but working, when OMFG wtf has happened ??.

The pain was incredible. I mean scream out loud before whimpering like a beaten puppy pain. 10 seconds later it was gone like it had never been and people are looking at me like I'm some kind of basket case.

A runner comes over all lycra, glowing tan and healthy smile and enquires whether I'm ok. I now have a dull ache in my calves and it doesn't take a doctor to realise I've cramped out big style.

That really threw a spanner in the works as the next circuit is completed at snails pace because I am now walking in an un natural way to preserve my calves but am now putting stress through my hips which are rapidly starting to throw all manner of twinges.

With the conclusion of the circuit the fit pro is showing 8375 steps, so I decide to get home, take some electrolytes and a snack on board before going to a local park to complete the task,

Day 2 Part 2 Fenton Park ST4

So in reality it didn't take too long to complete the rest of the challenge for the day as a couple of very slow circuits of the local park put paid to the outstanding balance for a combined total as follows.

Time 3h 22m 47s
    Distance 4.87 miles
    Steps 10,363
    Cals 1942

I'm not sure whether or not splitting the challenge like this preserves the integrity of the challenge but to my mind 10,000 steps specifically for the challenge is the target and whether or not that is accomplished in one go or several segments seems open to interpretation.

Right now I feel even more trashed than I did yesterday but when I somehow get through tomorrow I will be 10% of the way to the target. I have always thought that the first week would be make or break and I am determined not to break.

Have a great day

Mark