You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Effects Of Brexit.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,790
    Essexphil said:

There was a massive surprise in that article.

The only 1 telling the truth was Peter Bone.

There's a sentence I never thought I would type :)

Very unexpected.
    Essexphil said:

Northern Ireland Protocol: Three reality checks to Liz Truss’s plan to override the Brexit deal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/northern-ireland-protocol-three-reality-checks-to-liz-truss-s-plan-to-override-the-brexit-deal/ar-AAXmUV7?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c2ef8f54a8004ca2b2a222260de22905
  • EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,978
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Northern Ireland Protocol: Three reality checks to Liz Truss’s plan to override the Brexit deal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/northern-ireland-protocol-three-reality-checks-to-liz-truss-s-plan-to-override-the-brexit-deal/ar-AAXmUV7?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c2ef8f54a8004ca2b2a222260de22905
    "Reality check 2" is not right as things currently stand.

The power-sharing agreement at the heart of the Rules currently governing NI do not include the Alliance Party.

The Rules clearly state that the First Minister/Deputy shall be from the largest Nationalist/Unionist Parties. The Alliance Party is neither of these 2 things.

Consequently, if the DUP refuse to step up, then logically the UUP would have the opportunity to provide the Deputy, and power share (and, were they to refuse, the TUV).

The NI assembly works totally differently to the rest of the UK. There are more Unionist votes than Nationalist. There are more Unionist MLAs than Nationalist. Yet the fact that 1 of the 2 main Nationalist Parties has more MLAs than any of the 3 Unionist Parties outweighs both the votes and the number of MLAs.

Then there is the question of the Alliance. In an age when sectarianism is (thankfully) on the wane, votes for a non-religious-based Party do not count for running the Country.

If the 90 MLAs elected were 87 Alliance, 2 Sinn Fein, and 1 DUP, the First Minister would be Sinn Fein, and the Deputy DUP.

It is time for an extra Deputy Minister, to represent those who do not define themselves as either "Unionist" or "Nationalist"
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

The power-sharing agreement at the heart of the Rules currently governing NI do not include the Alliance Party.

The Rules clearly state that the First Minister/Deputy shall be from the largest Nationalist/Unionist Parties. The Alliance Party is neither of these 2 things.

Consequently, if the DUP refuse to step up, then logically the UUP would have the opportunity to provide the Deputy, and power share (and, were they to refuse, the TUV).

The NI assembly works totally differently to the rest of the UK. There are more Unionist votes than Nationalist. There are more Unionist MLAs than Nationalist. Yet the fact that 1 of the 2 main Nationalist Parties has more MLAs than any of the 3 Unionist Parties outweighs both the votes and the number of MLAs.

Then there is the question of the Alliance. In an age when sectarianism is (thankfully) on the wane, votes for a non-religious-based Party do not count for running the Country.

If the 90 MLAs elected were 87 Alliance, 2 Sinn Fein, and 1 DUP, the First Minister would be Sinn Fein, and the Deputy DUP.

It is time for an extra Deputy Minister, to represent those who do not define themselves as either "Unionist" or "Nationalist"
    Yes.
    I have been watching this with interest.
    There have been calls for allowing a voluntary coalition.
    Any system that allows one party to collapse Stormont cant be good for democracy in NI.
    Nor for the interests of the people of NI.
    Both the main parties have been guilty of this.
    If the DUP stick to their guns, they wont be turning up anytime soon.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.
    Any system that allows one party to collapse Stormont cant be good for democracy in NI.
    ps, I wonder if the DUP will pay for this in any October election?
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.
    Possibly. But-from which direction?

From more moderate viewpoints, from Alliance or UUP?
    Or from the more hardline TUV?

Be careful what you wish for....
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

If I was a DUP voter who was struggling with the cost of living, I might feel resentful of the fact that the £330 million that is in place to help me, and people like me, is not being distributed because of their actions.
    Also the protocol is not a priority for many people.
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

If I was a DUP voter who was struggling with the cost of living, I might feel resentful of the fact that the £330 million that is in place to help me, and people like me, is not being distributed because of their actions.
    It is not the protocol that is the issue. That is just the sideshow/the excuse

It is whether to ally to the UK or Ireland.

And the vast majority of Unionists will blame Nationalists and vice versa.

The Party that increased its vote by the largest amount at the last election was not the Alliance, which increased its share of 1st votes from 9% to 13.5%. It was the TUV, that went up from 2.5% to 7.6%. The former translated into an increase from 8-17 seats. The TUV stayed at 1.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

The Party that increased its vote by the largest amount at the last election was not the Alliance, which increased its share of 1st votes from 9% to 13.5%. It was the TUV, that went up from 2.5% to 7.6%. The former translated into an increase from 8-17 seats. The TUV stayed at 1.
    The other thing that is completely obvious is the the Unionists object to the border.
    Boris is tinkering with the number of customs checks.
    If Boris gets his way, it wont placate The Unionists.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

DUP 'chaos' strategy to 'erode support for union' with Brexit demands, Alliance MP warns

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/dup-chaos-strategy-to-erode-support-for-union-with-brexit-demands-alliance-mp-warns/ar-AAXq8l1?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=a6e9fc27e149463d8d54d9fbf3d86a74
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

Boris Johnson admits he signed Northern Ireland Protocol hoping EU would not 'apply it'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnson-admits-signed-northern-100600778.html
    NI’s ‘unique’ protocol benefit of dual market access should be retained, Lewis

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ni-unique-protocol-benefit-dual-110453377.html
    HAYSIE said:

NI’s ‘unique’ protocol benefit of dual market access should be retained, Lewis

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ni-unique-protocol-benefit-dual-110453377.html

Although they didnt want the same unique benefit for the rest of the UK.
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

US won’t agree UK trade deal if Boris Johnson ‘discards’ protocol, says Speaker Pelosi

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/us-won-t-agree-uk-194438836.html
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

Brexit barriers leave British communities in Spain fading away as expats put off by huge visa costs

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-barriers-leave-british-communities-in-spain-fading-away-as-expats-put-off-by-huge-visa-costs/ar-AAXtd9U?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2046c84be4c24e8e8348101618a063b3
    Food produced by controversial gene-editing techniques could be in supermarkets as early as next year, Environment Secretary says

Food produced by controversial gene-editing techniques could be in supermarkets as early as next year, the Environment Secretary said yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10839189/Food-produced-gene-editing-techniques-supermarkets-early-year.html
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Liz Truss plan to boost Northern Ireland trade 'too expensive'

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/sunak-blocks-truss-tax-cut-143437848.html

All this shows is that the idiot Truss has some clever people advising her:-

1. Come up with an imaginative plan to spend money we haven't got
    2. Wait for the PM/Chancellor to say we can't afford it
    3. Wait for the inevitable protocol problems (only really a question of whether trigger is London/EU/DUP/Sinn Fein)
    4. Point out that you gave then the solution ages ago, and were ignored (as opposed to we don't have the money)

It's not a bad plan.
    It's quite a disloyal plan.
    But it shows ambition.
    It may be a clever plan, but it is not a solution to the problem.
    It is difficult to see a solution that would satisfy both sides of the argument in NI.
    The government are focusing on the customs checks.
    Yet the problem for one side is the very existence of a border which separates NI from the rest of the UK.
    That rather depends on what you see as the "problem".

You (and I) believe the problem is NI.
    Whereas Ms Truss believes the main "problem" is that she is not PM.
    As politicians do.

That's where I think it is clever. In relation to her "problem". Not the real one...
    Brexit debacle' German newspaper mocks hated deal with swipe at Boris Johnson

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-debacle-german-newspaper-mocks-hated-deal-with-swipe-at-boris-johnson/ar-AAXymBj?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=7eb732fb83824804b2973682e376d281

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

Liz Truss to meet with top Democrat as Northern Ireland Protocol row heats up

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2022/05/21/liz-truss-to-meet-with-top-democrat-as-northern-ireland-protocol-row-heats-up/
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Yes.

I wasnt wishing for anything.
    I was merely asking a question.
    If I was a DUP voter who was at my wits end over struggles with the cost of living crisis.
    I might blame the DUP for the lack of financial help I was able to get.
    Assuming there is another election in October, I might feel that my vote was better used elsewhere.
    I am sure that the other parties, under these circumstances, would be putting forward the view that a vote for the DUP, is a vote for stalemate at Stormont, and no financial assistance.
    There is very little in life that pi55es people off more than the inability to meet their bills.

The other thing that appears obvious is that the DUP, and Boris are not on the same page.
    The DUP are arguing for the ripping up of the protocol, and removal of the border.
    While Boris is merely making the case for fewer customs checks.
    They are miles apart.
    The DUP argument is understandable, and easy to see that a border separating them from the rest of the UK is divisive.
    Yet that ship seems to have sailed.
    I would love to be a fly on the wall at a Boris/Jefferey Donaldson meeting.
    If they both clearly set out their positions, it would be obvious how far apart they are.

I dont have enough technical knowledge to argue about the customs checks in detail.
    Although I dont fully understand how you would reach an agreement on the number of customs checks, that was sustainable for any length of time.
    As we diverge from EU rules, the number of customs checks required must surely increase.
    For example there is an article above regarding gene-edited food arriving on supermarket shelves in the near future.
    So any agreement that could be reached today, would surely have to be reviewed on a regular basis.
    Brexit is far from being done.