You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The UK politics thread

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Great post Phil.

I think Thatcher's intent was clear when she said "There is no such thing as society. There are men and women and their families..."

The concept of community was lost upon her. Hence she did not care a jot, or certainly did not care enough, to take effective action to safeguard the towns and communities which would be hit by her actions.

A community needs a sense of purpose and an identity. Many small communities had that, through mining and other industries, and these communities were contributing to society as a whole. If you yank this away from them then it is rather obvious that there will be numerous social problems. These communities then become a drain on society and often get caught in a spiral of decline. With a little vision, understanding, compassion and empathy the plight of many small towns and communities up and down the country could have been quite different.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    edited January 2018
    Deleted

This post had no place on this excellent thread.

• Options

Just a few things.

And deep breaths. In, out, in, out.

Just breathe into this... :D

• Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    As can be seen bY the following, political persuasions can be determined by one’s choice of daily newspaper. The Times is read by the people who run the country.
    The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.
    The Guardian is read by the people who think they ought to run the country.
    The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
    The Independent is read by people who don’t know who runs the country but are sure they’re doing it wrong.
    The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
    The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
    The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run.
    The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country.
    And the Sun’s readers don’t care who runs the country providing she has big ****.
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981

As can be seen bY the following, political persuasions can be determined by one’s choice of daily newspaper. The Times is read by the people who run the country.
    The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country.
    The Guardian is read by the people who think they ought to run the country.
    The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country.
    The Independent is read by people who don’t know who runs the country but are sure they’re doing it wrong.
    The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country.
    The Financial Times is read by the people who own the country.
    The Daily Express is read by the people who think the country ought to be run as it used to be run.
    The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who still think it is their country.
    And the Sun’s readers don’t care who runs the country providing she has big knockers

• Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,284
    edited January 2018
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

1 thought on how bankrupt UK politics is.

When Cameron resigned, there was a vacancy for running the country. Only ONE person applied. I'm not saying Mrs May is the best politician ever, but she WAS the best applicant....

It's such a shite job though, isn't it?

It's like being Manager of the England Football Team, they rarely emerge with a scrap of credit, it's a real poison chalice. *

* The exception, of course, was Lady Thatcher, undoubtedly the best Prime Minister - by a very long way - in my lifetime.
    Political views and opinions aside I think Thatcher was the only Prime Minister we have had since Churchill who actually RAN the country. The rest seem afraid of the job and of upsetting anyone. This should bring back memories;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jINZBOxdja8

Oh and Arthur Scargill and the Unions? My father loved him, as a police officer he always credited Arthur with allowing him to be able to buy his first house, due mainly to the overtime he earned during the Winter of Discontent. In fact most of Sussex Police wrote letters of thanks to Arthur but he didn't acknowledge their correspondence.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Apologies for my rant last night on here.
    I had a bad evening and just let off a bit of steam.

As you were.
  • Options
    Brilliant clip :D
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,196

Apologies for my rant last night on here.
    I had a bad evening and just let off a bit of steam.

As you were.

No worries Dragon.

I want these sensitive threads to have robust debate, as long as we are all civil to each other.

It's a risk starting such threads, and Marky & I discussed it at length before it began, and we both knew the risks, but were keen to give it a go.

As you were, carry on.
  • Options
    I think the crux of the matter is that there will always be a wide dichotomy of views on a subject as thorny as UK politics. We are all entitled to our views and to express those views as vehemently as we want, that's the whole point about living in a democracy.

What the thread will need to avoid, and has avoided very well so far, is any personal stuff. I think that is a testament to the quality of the posters so far. Obviously I don't include myself in that, but I am trying to be on my best behaviour!
  • Options
    Enut said:

I think the crux of the matter is that there will always be a wide dichotomy of views on a subject as thorny as UK politics. We are all entitled to our views and to express those views as vehemently as we want, that's the whole point about living in a democracy.

What the thread will need to avoid, and has avoided very well so far, is any personal stuff. I think that is a testament to the quality of the posters so far. Obviously I don't include myself in that, but I am trying to be on my best behaviour!

Good stuff Paul.

Question for you though - should we restrict it to English, Welsh and Northern Ireland politics, and give Scotland a sub-board?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,543
  • Options
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    Enut said:

'Question for you though - should we restrict it to English, Welsh and Northern Ireland politics, and give Scotland a sub-board?'

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=JNoELBKc&id=747CAEB14BBE92E6E85F1C1AF29A2CDB2618786C&thid=OIP.JNoELBKcsvFRVfDSEBbAqQHaE7&q=jimmy+krankie+and+nicola+sturgeon&simid=608036443352400689&selectedIndex=0

Enough said.

Motion carried.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    mmmm
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Tikay10 said:
    Enough said.

Motion carried.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    Cabinet shuffles by May & Corbyn
    Bland faceless people.
    Put them up knock them down!

• Options
    goldon said:

Am I allow to squeak.

https://youtu.be/hcxcrxslnYk

Have to say its a shame this guy isn't at the negotiating table for us. If anyone can post a clip or him losing a debate I'd be really interested to see it.

For anyone interested I also thought Tony Benn was an excellent orator, just to give a little political balance.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,730
    Smacks of hypocrisy that Nigel Farage is an MEP and refuses to give his 73k a year EU pension up after Brexit don’t you think?
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,543