You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Tommy Robinson

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028

goldon said:

Hammer to crack a "Nut"

Do you think he will do a " Cliff" and sue for wrongful imprisonment.

Well, there is a chance he'll get an even longer sentence at his new trial (The Court of Appeal observed that “the alleged contempt was serious and the sentence might be longer than that already served.”) so no he isn't the victim of wrongful imprisonment.

I think everyone agrees that he was once again in contempt of court, whilst on a suspended sentence for contempt of court. It's the procedure that is coming under the spotlight, not the verdict.
    "so no he isn't the victim of wrongful imprisonment".
    On this occasion he was.
    Isn't that why it was quashed?
    If he gets a fair re-trial and gets locked up then so be it.
    If we start locking people up without a fair trial we are on a very slippery slope.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    VespaPX said:

goldon said:

Hammer to crack a "Nut"

Do you think he will do a " Cliff" and sue for wrongful imprisonment.

Well, there is a chance he'll get an even longer sentence at his new trial (The Court of Appeal observed that “the alleged contempt was serious and the sentence might be longer than that already served.”) so no he isn't the victim of wrongful imprisonment.

I think everyone agrees that he was once again in contempt of court, whilst on a suspended sentence for contempt of court. It's the procedure that is coming under the spotlight, not the verdict.
    "so no he isn't the victim of wrongful imprisonment".
    On this occasion he was.
    Isn't that why it was quashed?
    If he gets a fair re-trial and gets locked up then so be it.
    If we start locking people up without a fair trial we are on a very slippery slope.
    Fingers crossed to the bolded bit.

Agreed about people deserving of a fair trial. Exactly why Robinson had no business outside court in Leeds. I assume that irony isn't lost on you.

• Options
    rainman215rainman215 Member Posts: 1,186
    Tommy will not serve any more time, just been talking to a friend of his, and original trial was so unjust it was laughable, Tommy is on holiday at moment, Tommy was arrested for breach of the peace,when they realised no evidence on that trumped up charge. changed it to contempt of court, hopefully he will sue the prison for abusing his human rights, every person i have spoke to about case is behind Tommy.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    How is it contempt of court when deatils were already published who had been charged.
    There were going to be 3 different trials (Jan, April & Sept) and how long they expected each trial to last.
    In detail it was published the name of the person charged, the area they lived and their charges.
    It also stated who was going to be at which trial.
    So anything Tommy said was already in the public domain .
    Actually more was published by the newspaper than Tommy actually said.

Also he was arrested for breach of the peace, not contempt of court.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,507
    Never trust "The Law" ....it's a Donkey on night out.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    VespaPX said:

How is it contempt of court when deatils were already published who had been charged.
    There were going to be 3 different trials (Jan, April & Sept) and how long they expected each trial to last.
    In detail it was published the name of the person charged, the area they lived and their charges.

It's not uncommon for someone to be arrested with one offence and charged with another. Your faux outrage looks silly.

Tommy Robinson pleaded guilty to contempt of court, so Tommy Robinson thinks Tommy Robinson was guilty. Why would you then think otherwise?

Got a link where these court details were published?
  • Options
    Let's not forget that Vespa's hero is really just a common criminal;

April 2005: He was jailed for assaulting an off-duty police officer who intervened to stop a domestic incident between Robinson and his partner Jenna Vowles. During the scuffle, Robinson kicked the officer in the head. He was convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, for which he was sentenced to 12 months’ imprisonment, and assault with intent to resist arrest, for which he received a concurrent term of three months.

November 2010: He was charged with assaulting a police officer who was attempting to prevent clashes between the EDL and Muslims Against Crusaders.

July 2011: He was convicted for leading a brawl involving 100 football fans. Incidentally, Robinson takes his most well known pseudonym from a prominent member of the "Men In Gear" (MIG) football hooligan crew, which follows Luton Town Football Club.

September 2011: Robinson was arrested for breach of bail conditions while at a demo in Tower Hamlets - leading him to go on ‘hunger strike’ in HMP Bedford, refusing to eat the prison's "halal meat". The ‘hunger strike’ is said to have lasted 24 hours! Robinson was released on bail on the 12 September.

September 2011: On the 29th September Robinson was convicted of common assault after he head butted a fellow EDL member during a rally in Blackburn. He was sentenced to 12 weeks' imprisonment, suspended for 12 months.

November 2011: Robinson was fined £2,300 and ordered to pay £700 in costs following his arrest after scaling the rooftop FIFA’s HQ to protest against their ban on England wearing poppies on their shirts for a friendly vs. Spain. He spent 3 days in a Swiss jail. No word on his thoughts on its catering arrangements.

January 2013: He pled guilty to, and was jailed for 10 months for, using someone else’s passport to obtain entry the United States. He had been banned from entry to the US due to his conviction for assault in 2005 and previous convictions for drugs offences (including possession of Class A drugs) and public order offences, hence his intended deception.

June 2013: Robinson was arrested on charges of obstructing police officers in their line of duty. He was arrested in defiance of police instructions not to march to the site of Drummer Lee Rigby’s death. The police said attempts had been made to discuss the march and gathering with the EDL and offered it two alternative routes that avoided Tower Hamlets, home to the East London Mosque. Robinson had been told that such a march would "result in serious public disorder and serious disruption to the life of the community".

September 2013: Police agree to an EDL march through the heart of the Muslim community in East London but the daft git Robinson is arrested for a public order offence. He is accused of, and charged with, not adhering to the conditions of the march and inciting others to do the same.

January 2014: After pleading guilty to two counts of mortgage fraud to the value of £160,000, Robinson was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment.

July 2015: Whilst imprisoned in HMP Peterborough, Robinson is charged with racially aggravated common assault for an unprovoked attack on a Muslim prisoner. Robinson claimed a group of Muslim prisoners had offered a reward for anyone who assaulted him and he was acting in self defence. The case collapsed after his QC successfully argued the trial could not continue because of failures in disclosing evidence

May 2017: He admitted contempt of court on May 8 and was given a three-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months by Judge Heather Norton. He was looking to photograph or confront the defendants who included a juvenile which is against the Contempt of Court Act of 1925 – which makes it illegal to photograph witnesses, defendants or jurors within the court precincts. Security staff told Robinson not to film within the precincts of the court and warned him he would be arrested. The judge told Robinson: “‘I take a dim view of your actions. If you commit further offences this sentence will be activated.”

May 2018: Robinson was jailed for 13 months (reduced by 5 months as he admitted his guilt) for breaking contempt of court laws. He was arrested outside the court on Friday and admitted committing contempt of court by publishing information that could prejudice an ongoing trial. He has subsequently been released on appeal due to procedural inaccuracies in this case. However, he will have to face a retrial on the same charges which he has already admitted he is guilty of.

Nice guy, eh?
  • Options
    mondo1985mondo1985 Member Posts: 571

VespaPX said:

It's not uncommon for someone to be arrested with one offence and charged with another. Your faux outrage looks silly.

Tommy Robinson pleaded guilty to contempt of court, so Tommy Robinson thinks Tommy Robinson was guilty. Why would you then think otherwise?

Got a link where these court details were published?
    he didn't plead guilty
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    Yes, he did.

He seems to conveniently forget that he pleaded Guilty to the charge he is now appealing, and not the first time he has been in Contempt. Brave call by his Lawyers-they're braver than me.

Thousands of people seem to hang on his every word. It baffles me.

A small minority of Muslims are dangerous fanatics. The vast majority are decent people. Same is true of Christians...

Just imagine for 1 moment if he was Muslim. Previously travelled to the US on 2 different false passports while barred from the country, host of violent and other offences, complaining re our racist prison system claiming it is like Guantanamo Bay, spreading dissent between races saying a mainstream religion is evil....remind you of anyone?
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Yes, he did.

He seems to conveniently forget that he pleaded Guilty to the charge he is now appealing, and not the first time he has been in Contempt. Brave call by his Lawyers-they're braver than me.

A small minority of Muslims are dangerous fanatics. The vast majority are decent people. Same is true of Christians...

Just imagine for 1 moment if he was Muslim. Previously travelled to the US on 2 different false passports while barred from the country, host of violent and other offences, complaining re our racist prison system claiming it is like Guantanamo Bay, spreading dissent between races saying a mainstream religion is evil....remind you of anyone?

Well said.

Some people are just more than happy to swallow whatever Tommy offers to them.
  • Options
    mondo1985mondo1985 Member Posts: 571
    Essexphil said:

Yes, he did.

Essexphil said:

Yes, he did.

Well said.

Some people are just more than happy to swallow whatever Tommy offers to them.
    he didn't plead guilty as clearly stated in the appeal documentation, I tend to believe that then some newspaper
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,016
    No. His Lawyers are arguing that, due to the short period of time before proceeding with the charges, he pleaded Guilty when, had he sought legal advice from them (presumably as opposed to his original lawyers) he would have pleaded not guilty.
  • Options
    Tommy didnt plead guilty , check your facts, 30,000 marched in London, must all be racists, HHY you seem to have a bug about MR. ROBINSON, HE IS A NATIONAL HERO, BUT THAT MUST MAKE ME A RACIST AS WELL.
  • Options

Tommy didnt plead guilty , check your facts, 30,000 marched in London, must all be racists, HHY you seem to have a bug about MR. ROBINSON, HE IS A NATIONAL HERO, BUT THAT MUST MAKE ME A RACIST AS WELL.

Enlighten me as to how he is a ''national hero''?
  • Options
    Ask the GREAT British Public, he also didnt plead guilty liked you said on more than one occasion, no contempt of court, he read a bbc website, he has been speaking out against grooming gangs for years, i know it upsets liberals,to offend muslims who are doing the raping,but you will get over it, Tommy will never set foot in a prison again.
  • Options
    day4eire76day4eire76 Member Posts: 912
    edited August 2018
    Just astonished someone would publicly call him a national hero.

So of all his criminal convictions which one makes him deserve the title most ?

Or is it that he founded the EDL the not racist in the slightest organisation.

As for the 30,000 supporters marching in London that has been proven to be very wide of the mark. Best estimates have been 2 to 3 thousand.

Or are you one of the many gullible people who fell for the pictures of Liverpools home coming from 2005 CL win as Tommy supporters ?

• Options

Ask the GREAT British Public, he also didnt plead guilty liked you said on more than one occasion, no contempt of court, he read a bbc website, he has been speaking out against grooming gangs for years, i know it upsets liberals,to offend muslims who are doing the raping,but you will get over it, Tommy will never set foot in a prison again.

Rainman, why do you think TR is a national hero?

Try not to fudge this answer.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,148
    Not commented on this thread and didn't want to, but 'National hero'.....?

He's simply a nasty publicity hungry ned.
  • Options
    Day4 eire i was at said march , 30,000 was a moderate estimate, name me one thing that he has said that is racist, you should stop reading main stream newspapers, i know you are all upset, but you will get over it, big things about to happen for Mr Robinson.
    HHY i will answer your question when you answer mine, what did he do that was in contempt of court, that the bbc website and the guardian newspaper didnt.
    FREE AT LAST.
  • Options

Day4 eire i was at said march , 30,000 was a moderate estimate, name me one thing that he has said that is racist, you should stop reading main stream newspapers, i know you are all upset, but you will get over it, big things about to happen for Mr Robinson.
    HHY i will answer your question when you answer mine, what did he do that was in contempt of court, that the bbc website and the guardian newspaper didnt.
    FREE AT LAST.

Do you sleep in Tommy Robinson branded pyjamas?

Out of curiosity how much have you donated/wasted towards his legal fees?

He was filming people and defendants going into court, for a case that had reporting restrictions attached to it.
This discussion has been closed.