You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,194
edited May 2017 in Poker Chat

Hi.

You may not realise, but I've not played Hold 'Em Cash, Live or Online, except very occasionally, for many years, perhaps 5 years or more. Last time would have been when doing "Challenges" against Rich Oxford, which is meaningless of course, as he's hopeless.

I play on Sky Poker almost every day when not working, but I just like to sit & relax & play a few PLO8 DYM's.

So.......

I've decided to test myself, & play some NLHE & PLO/PLO8 CASH this month, just to see how bad I am really. 

I've honestly no idea how I'll cope. I'm "competent" (no more, no less) at the 4 card game, but NLH is another game altogether.

The plan is to play some NLHE, PLO, & PLO8 Cash every day that I am available, & update my progress on here. 

I'll list my opening balance, closing balance, & Rewards Points.

I'll probably start today, but I'll Post on this Thread BEFORE I play, every time, so you are welcome to come & fill yer boots.

If anyone fancies doing the same thing, please feel free to join this thread, & Update your Daily Profits & Losses.

See you on the Tables some time later today - I will Post on here first.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013

Think, just messing around on DYM's, I earned 725 Reward Points last month. I should be able to beat that with no problem.

I doubt I'll be able to play this Wednesday (Filming an interview all day), Thursday (doing the Show), or Fri/Sat/Sun, (SPT Newcastle), but I'll try & have a session most days.

Think I'll do it modular - 1 or 2 hour sessions, on 2, 3, or 4 Tables at a time. I'll start at the lowest levels, & probably move up from there.

Mock away, I don't care!, but it'd be good if a few of us tried it & all Updated progress.

Should be fun.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Going to have a session later this afternoon, but I'll Post here before I start.

Ooohhhhhh

• Options
    edited September 2013

Forgot to day, I'm playing with my own money, on "tikay1".

Scary.
  • Options
    12671267 Member Posts: 936
    edited September 2013
    GL Tikay.  Excited to see how you do !   

Hopefully someone will be analysing your play on the show in future  ;)

May be tougher for you than others at the lower stakes, as competent forum regs will want to test their skills v you ! 
    own them

gl
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,935
    edited September 2013
    WOOF WOOF good luck ya old dog
  • Options
    BorinLonerBorinLoner Member Posts: 3,863
    edited September 2013
    Wow! Some of the dynamics at your tables will be weird!

"Is this NL4 player check-raising because they have a big hand, or is it because it's me? Do they know who I am?"

I suspect I would level myself a lot in your shoes. I might rail for a bit if I get chance but I doubt I'll be playing. Good luck Tikay.
  • Options
    goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,790
    edited September 2013
    Will be interesting to see how you get on. Good luck at the tables sir! :)
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    edited September 2013

Oh no......not another diary! :)

Genuinely, good luck with this Tikay.

Will you just be playing mainly in the daytime or will you sometimes play early evening/night time too?

I have put off dabbling in the cash game for too long now, so I may possibly join you at the lower stakes NLHE & PLO cash tables. 

Also, will you set yourself 'targets' or just go with the flow?
  • Options
    cenachavcenachav Member Posts: 2,681
    edited September 2013
    Good luck in this. I will try to join you when I can as I have been meaning to try cash again. You will find that nl4 plays a lot like nl400. The differance is that the nl400 know why they are calling a raise and a reraise with k4 off and the nl4 players do it to hit a kk4 flop :-)

• Options
    edited September 2013

Thanks guys.

Will be playing whenever time permits - mornings, afternoons, evenings, whatever.

Will probably try to play the Happy Hours, too. Never been bothered about Rewards before, but if I'm doing this, I ought to do it properly.

The table dynamic will be a bit lop-sided, folks will wanna take me on, but that's OK, it is as long as it's broad. 

Honest guys, it'd be great if a few others joined in the "trial", feel free to Update daily on this thread. 

Will probably have a 1 hour session shortly, just got to hang the washing out first.  Monday is washing day, right?
  • Options
    tikay1tikay1 Member Posts: 741
    edited September 2013

Going to play now, for an hour, 3 or 4 Tables of 2p-4p for starters.

Current Poker Points = 0

Starting Bankroll = £200.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited September 2013

GL Tikay.

As per post on show thread I will join you (in the challenge) when I can - if I am doing proper table selection then I shall probably try and avoid your table as it could get loaded with a few heavyweights.

I never stuck with NLHE cash long enough to see if I can learn to beat it consistently. Only ever been in that happy place with FL cash and NL STTs. Don't see much at all of the former (I started out on a European site) and NL STTs I prefer 6-max to DYM as it suits my game better and they don't fill up quickly on here.

Probably be next week before I can commit the cash by transferring bankroll and have the time to sit a proper set of sessions.

• Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited September 2013
    GL Tikay, I'm sure your solid style will work an absolute treat.

Prediction for the month... Tikay to be +£135... you heard it here first.
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    edited September 2013
    Good start, you played well on the table I was on. Amazing how many times you get AA or KK though!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Sheesh, that was interesting.

Not played the new Cash Tables in earnest previously, (because I usually play DYM's or PLO8) so the first 15 minutes I spent just messing around with the table sizes & settings.

Eventually got into the swing of things, & it was OK.

EvilPingu, BorinLoner, BigShann all on my Tables, they could smell the value - EvilPingu @ 2p-4p! He knows value when he sees it.

Ran pretty neutral, though put a horrible beat on BigShann, who had J-J v my KQ (I never believed him) & we got the lot all-in & with a flop of 3-2-2 it all got a bit messy before I binked my Q on the turn.

Made a monsta profit though. I mean, seriously.

Starting 'Roll = £200.

Roll now = £200.12

Profit/Loss = £0.12 Profit.

REWARD POINTS 12.

Will be back for Happy Hour, & will move up to 4p-8p &/or 5p-10p, to see how many Reward Points I get for that.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Good start, you played well on the table I was on. Amazing how many times you get AA or KK though!
    Posted by FCHD
    It was incred - I had A-A 23 times!

PS - thank you.

• Options
    frascatifrascati Member Posts: 76
    edited September 2013
    Well played I enjoyed that

Could not work out those large bets perhaps u did have the nuts!!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Well played I enjoyed that Could not work out those large bets perhaps u did have the nuts!!
    Posted by frascati
    Thank you! Glad you thought it was fun.

My bet sizes? I just like to really mix my bet sizes up. I'm not really into "2.2x" every time lark.
  • Options
    hawk7112hawk7112 Member Posts: 3,627
    edited September 2013
    Good luck with your challenge Sir
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Played the Happy Hour.

2 Tables of 4p-8p

2 Tables of 5p-10p

The Big Boys were after me again, lol!

Probably did not play too good, & ended up losing a few quid.

Will try & play later this evening.

The Happy Hour made a big difference to my Reward Points.

Opening Bankroll this session £200.12

Closing Bankroll this session £196.47

Profit/Loss this Session £3.65

Reward Points This Session = 40