You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,793
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Nice to read threads with people just enjoying poker - that's kind of what it should all be about really! I'm sure I shall donate some more money to you over the rest of your challenge. Everytime I'm looking for a table you are always sat with a space to your right, I guess I'm the only one daft enough to sit with you having position on me. I'm in no position to critique your hands (obviously), but one thing I wondered was why you didn't auto top-up your stack? I would have thought you had a bit of an edge over most at the micro-stakes so would have wanted the full 100x BB at all times to maximise your value. Not sure if it is just me, but NL8/NL10 seem to have attracted an influx of newer names since the start of double-points and super-ticket promos. Appear to be a bit more gambley, with far more variance in results (positive and negative). Perhaps aggressive tourni players temporarily coming across to make some money off us nitty cash players? Whatever the reason, it makes the games far more fun! :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    Morning Aces, sorry for the delayed reply.

I would not play the game unless I still got a thrill from it evey time I sit at a table. I honestly don't understand those who moan about the game all the time. If you don't enjoy something.....don't do it! Life's too short & all that.

"I don't really know" is the honest answer to your question as to toping up, I suppose. Clearly, it would be optimal. Rookie error.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hey Tikay, Good meeting you at the weekend. Have enjoyed reading your thread and will look out for you at the tables. Good luck!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thanks Larson, good to meet you, too.

How did your first SPT measure up as to expectations?

Did a detect a hint of a Scottish accent?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Evening Teacake :) You're right about the double points really making a difference, I only play like 4 hour sessions (twice a day) and I'm getting like 700+ points per session which is definitely not normal. You should get them to carry it on for the month ;) You been playing any NLHE MTTs with your roll or just cash? Is there any word on the blog? Sounds like you've been quite busy judging by your last update Paul
    Posted by Lambert180
    Teacake? Do behave.

Sincere apologies about the Blog. I even had Thewy chasing me abouy it, & someone even Tweeted the Live Show to give me a ticking off!

My problem is too many things to do, & not enoigh hours in the day or days in the week, & I got blown away completely last week. I'm getting a little old for these long long days.

I'll try & start on Uploading some Blogs - I've got several in the queue, yours included - today or tomorrow morning.

Once again, apologies.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'm back playing nl8 this month having not played cash for a while and flown through nl4 in August. Started really hot but have dropped back a little now, currently up a little over £50. Bit of believing I can run like God the last couple of nights, need to think a bit more on dangerous boards. Having not read this it came as a bit of a shock to see tikay1 on nl8 tables. Don't think I took it in first time, second night I had to check on the hitsquad facebook page to make sure I hadn't lost a few marbles. Tikay at nl8 didn't seem right somehow. Three years ago when I started playing my 'big' tourney of the week was the Monday night Take on Tikay, a chance to play what to me back then was a better quality field than I was used to playing, and maybe a table with the man himself. Good to have a chat on the tables the other night but I think for me that chat on the new tables needs to be turned off in future, it's just too distracting. GL with your challenge Tikay, and if you could just stick to sitting on my right............. :)
    Posted by harding10
    Thank you very much. They might even bring Take on tiksy back, now that the dark nights are approaching. I'd deffo be up for it, fun times.

Me @ 8NL? Honestly, I get the same buzz from penny poker as playing big stuff, even WSOP Events. The novelty should have worn off by now of course, but it gives me a buzz, no matter what level I play at, poker is such an examination of our character. 

I was "tested" a few times over the weekend, but that story awaits.....

Hope the wee lad is in good heart, & you enjoyed your time with him in the park yesterday.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi tikay. Quite an enjoyable little session the other day. Pretty standard stuff between yourself and I. You got the rub unfortunately. I had Ak vs your Kk as you say and doubled you up with Ak vs your QQ too when you were only 70ish BB deep. The AQ hand you folded to my 4 bet was interesting too. Would of been another race as I had jj. C'est la vie. Cant believe I cant win a race against an OAP. If I ignored you in the chat then I apologise as I was multi tabling myself. Good game. No doubt we will recommence battle soon. Are you enjoying the cash experience? 
    Posted by DrSharp
    Afternoon Dr Not a Dr.

Yes, all standard stuff really.

The A-Q fold? It just felt right to me. I'm Old School. very much a nit (& proud of it), & I just felt, against you, I could be drawing very thin.

Am I enjoying the cash experience? Surpisingly, because I so enjoy MTT's & SNG's, yes, I am. Been quite a challenge to adapt though, much harder than I had envisaged. But it was not meant to be easy, was it?!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

So, the painful bit.....

Last Time I reported my £200 was down to £151.49, & I had 440 Reward Points.

Since then, my £151 went up to........£129.56.

Why? Don't really know. Don't think I ran particularly bad, just standard beats & suckouts, nothing unusual. Maybe I'm not good enough at NLH these days?

Anyway, after my enforced absence, I thought I needed to do something about this, so I decided on a night or two of PLO8 Cash, to try & claw back the damage.

Went pretty well, aided by a large dollop of luck, & the £129.56 was soon £191, so I recovered most of the losses in just two sessions. I could only play two Tables, as there is not much PLO8 liquidity here (or anywhere else for that matter) but I'm sure I cold have easily coped with 4 Tables of PLO8.

Then, yersteday, I just fancied some PLO8 DYM's, as I had stuff to do elsewhere, so not enough time for any long cash sessions.

It tuned out to be a bad decision from the get go. 2 hands ino my first £5.50 DYM of the day, I had the best Aces you can get - A-A-K-2 double suited - & Villain ALSO had Aces. His hand was near identical, but single suited, & with the 3, not the deuce, so I'm pretty much locked fort half, & big favourite for three quarters if the Low comes. We got the lot in pre, obviously. The Low DID come, but included.....the 2! So that killed my nut low, & he three quartered me.

And so it continued, most of the day I kept gettiing myself in these unavoidable but unfortunate spots.

Anyway, enough excuses, here is the state of play.....

Starting Roll = £200

Current Roll - £179.17

Reward Points - 658

So, a good recovery, followed by a setback.

The battle continues.....
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I will be on & off the Tables all day, & this evening.

I'll play any low-limit PLO8 Cash, &/or PLO8 DYM's today. May even play some PLO8 Tourneys later.  

Anyone fancies a game today against a confirmed donater, let me know or look me up.

Later.

Offer EXCLUDES FREECHIPS1 - he is way too good. dYM's, yes, cash, not so much.;)

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,554
    edited September 2013

Perhaps if you fancy a break from the cash grind, sign up for tonight's DTD?.

You will be most welcome, but understand if you wish to just focus on your cash quest.
  • Options
    tikay1tikay1 Member Posts: 741
    edited September 2013
    Perhaps if you fancy a break from the cash grind, sign up for tonight's DTD?. You will be most welcome, but understand if you wish to just focus on your cash quest.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Appreciate that Alan. Not sure yet, but I might. I ought to stick to the plan, & play Cash, but I'm tempted.....

The invite is very much appreciated though, thank you.
  • Options
    tikay1tikay1 Member Posts: 741
    edited September 2013

As you may surmise by me using "tikay1", I am having a little session now.

Saw a £2.25 PLO8 DYM with a seat spare, so jumped in.

Comical first hand. I'm not really into "flop stories", I've read 16 squillion of them, but you'll have to look away for a mo.

I get A-A-4-4 cc first hand, with 3 limpers in the pot.

I go POT, & get two callers, as expected.

We see a flop of......K-Q-J.

Ugh. That is HORRIBLE for our hand. No low Possible, & a likely 2 pairs somewhere.

With the pot at about 400, BB makes it....30. Ooh, I can call that. Chap behind me peels, too.

Turn was a blank, offsuit 2. 

BB bets.....30 again.  Call call again.

River was the most beautiful deuce I ever saw - paired deuces kills all the 2 pairs on the flop!

Our man bets 30 AGAIN, call call.

And.....my hand was GOOD. Amazingly, the chap behind me, who was peeling as well ALSO had Aces!

So it was chopped two ways, for a little profit, as we had been 3 way. LIKE 
  • Options
    seppeseppe Member Posts: 287
    edited September 2013
    As you may surmise by me using "tikay1", I am having a little session now.   Saw a £2.25 PLO8 DYM with a seat spare, so jumped in. Comical first hand. I'm not really into "flop stories", I've read 16 squillion of them, but you'll have to look away for a mo.   I get A-A-4-4 cc first hand, with 3 limpers in the pot. I go POT, & get two callers, as expected. We see a flop of......K-Q-J. Ugh. That is HORRIBLE for our hand. No low Possible, & a likely 2 pairs somewhere.   With the pot at about 400, BB makes it....30. Ooh, I can call that. Chap behind me peels, too. Turn was a blank, offsuit 2.  BB bets.....30 again.  Call call again. River was the most beautiful deuce I ever saw - paired deuces kills all the 2 pairs on the flop! Our man bets 30 AGAIN, call call.   And.....my hand was GOOD. Amazingly, the chap behind me, who was peeling as well ALSO had Aces! So it was chopped two ways, for a little profit, as we had been 3 way. LIKE 
    Posted by tikay1

This needs a bump, hey tkay how about a lil omaha league for a month, im no good with the ins & outs but sure itl boost the numbers :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Whoops, I clean forgot about this, but the fun continues.

Cliffs.

Tried playing NLH cash, started with £200. Not sure if I ran bad, played bad, or both. Maybe I'm not good enough for cash these days, dunno, but the £200 dribbled down to £130.

Did not want to have to re-deposit, so I decided to revert to PLO8 Cash, & that went much better, got back up to £180 from the £130 very quickly, but some nights could not find enough action, I needed several Tables going really.

Decided to try PLO8 DYM's, I find these nice & relaxing.

By last Thursday, I had inched up to £230, & my final DYM that night was a £10+£1 affair, so £240 hoved into view. But I lost it, so began the weekend with £220.

Friday was just over breakeven, or almost, won 7, lost 7, but I played one £10 + £1 & won that, so a mini-profit. 

Had my worst ever DYM day on Saturday. Hard to pinpoint any reason, just ran terrible, game after game. Played 26 of them, & won just......9. Ugh. The loss was £70, so back down to £150. How do these things happen?! I managed to lose 6 on the bounce at one stage.

Sunday (yesterday), ran much better, played 20, won 14, of which two were £10 ones, & I won both. Ended the day £39.95 up, @ £189.95.

Allowing for Rewards money which I got for September, & £10 so far this month on the widget thing, I've won & lost nothing, but played a fair bit, which, oddly, amuses me endlessly. It's just nice to sit & play poker & get the fun for free.  

• Options
    edited October 2013

With Double Rewards this week, I've set myself a target of playing 100 PLO8 or PLO DYM's for the week.

I only play the PLO8 ones, but I might experiment with regular PLO DYM's. PLO plays MUCH different to PLO8, but I enjoy both. PLO has greater variance than PLO8, but probably plays a bit tougher. I would guess that the PLO ones finish much quicker though, so that allows more volume.

Dread to think how much I'll lose......

Anyway, current state of the nation is.....

Original Bankroll in September, £200

Current Bankroll £189.95

Current Rewards Points for October = 1,001, = £10.01

• Options
    edited October 2013

If anyone fancies joining in a "personal challenge" for STT's or DYM's this week, post away, the more the better.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited October 2013
    I'm going back to my old trusty HU SnGs (Turbos) this week Tikay for some double points and a bit of a change.

Aiming to make about 1000 points per day which is 100 x £10 games this week but I'm also mixing in £5 games too so probably need more than 100 games per day... a tall order!

Will join in with the updates here if that's alright.

So far this week...

Played: 5
    Profit: +£28.00

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Things took a slight turn for the worse after the few games this morning, but that was a tiny sample where I ran quite good.

Spent this evening not running so good, just lost one 60/40 too many ;)

Pleased to see the action is really good in these games, not sure if it's the promo or always like this but I was 2tabling £10s all night and barely ever had to wait more than 10 seconds for the next game.

Played: 66
    Profit: -£8.10

I actually had a postive ROI of 1% for today but lost more £10s than £5s so profit is down. Not a very big loss considering probably 50+ of the games were £10s so not even 1 BI lost.

• Options
    edited October 2013

You played SIXTY SIX?

Wowzer! 538 Reward Points, very nice.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Had an OK day yesterday, turned a small profit, & am on target - so far - to play 100  PLO8 DYM's this week.

The boring numbers first.......

Monday:

Played 19, won 12, lost 7. 

The 19 were composed of....

2 x £2.25. Won both.

12 x £5.50. Won 7, lost 5.

5 x £11.00. Won 3, lost 2.

Average Game Stake = £6.60

Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.66

Net Profit on Day = £12.50

Original Bankroll - £200

Current bankroll £202.45

Loss/Profit on week = £12.50

Loss/Profit overall = £2.45

Reward Points earned Monday - 231.

Reward Points in month = 1,233

• Options
    edited October 2013

Quite an interesting session yesterday. Played most of my DYM's in batches of two's & three's, & there were always enough games going for that.

Because of the "Double Rewards on STT" week, there were many faces not usually seen there.

One poor lad regged mistakenly for a PLO8, & had never played Omaha in his life, & openly admitted he did not have a clue what he was doing. I had A-Q-x-x on a flop of Q-Q-4 rainbow & I potted flop, turn & river, he called me down every street. He had A-9-9-10 & somehow got there with a backdoor flush, so I doubled him up a treat.....;)

We were briefly joined by none other than Ivanovic, & we chatted for a bit. He caught me calling down until the River when I had to fold, & suggested I was low-chasing....;) It was actually perfectly played, (I think....) as I had a-2-x-x with nut hearts, & the flop came 2 low cards, & two hearts. This is THE perfect coup in PLO8 in a multi-way pot (which this was) , the chance to scoopio, so I wanted to keep all the draws in & play for stacks, & so I played it very passively. But missed, ugh.

We chatted interestingly about the logic here, but then a trash talker got a bit uppity...... Mr Trash Talk was giving it large, not a name I knew from the PLO8 regulars, & he was raising every hand, (which is OK), but I had position, & lay in wait, awaiting the right spot.

Eventually I found the right hand, a nice two way affair, A-K-2-4 DS, so I re-potted him, & he snapped me off with J-9-8-5 rainbow. For those not familiar with PLO8, J-9-8-5 is about THE nut worst hand to play in PLO8. He busted me, obv.......to be fair, he had the stack, & aggro play is fine in the right situations.

MTT hot-pot goodylad21 joined me on one table, too. He absolutely crushes the MTT's, but is a stranger in PLO8 games as far as I know. We had a smashing, good-natured chat & banter.

He noted that in SIX levels, my stack never fluctuated lower than 1,850 or higher than 2,100.....then he typed "did you know that on the bottom right, there is a button with "RAISE" on it?"

Me? Raise before Level 6? YBA......

Truth is, I play VERY few hands in PLO8. My view (may be wrong, of course) is that we want scoopio potential starting hands ONLY, & they are far & few between, so I just sit quietly, pass pass pass, & watch a bit of TV out of the corner of my eye.

Some guys play every hand of course, & there is a case for that in PLO8, but each to their own I say. 

Very enjoyable, & relaxing. 

Very pleased with the amount of Reward Points gained because of the Doubles week. 

Same time, same place, today. Hope to see a few of you there.   
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well tonight didn't exactly go to plan. Well... it did actually, I played well and got it in good lots, I just couldn't seem to hold. It sounds like a big loss but it's really not that big a deal because when you're playing £10s, basically every game is a £20 swing between whether you lose or not, and it's pretty easy to just lose 5 x 60/40s in a row... or at least it is for me ;) which straight away is a £100 'swing'.

Played: 175
    Profit: -£136

Hoping the deck will be a little kinder to me tomorrow