You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,024
    edited September 2013

I'll be offline most of tomorrow (Wednesday), other duties call. 861 have sent me on "location", interviewing, arguably, the most successful poker player in the UK. Should be fun. Might just get some tips off him whilst I'm there.  

Don't even try asking his name. It'll be on 861 soon enough. ;)

So no playing poker for me tomorrow until, at best, mid-evening.

Have a good day.

• Options
    DrSharpDrSharp Member Posts: 1,213
    edited September 2013
    Hi Tikay.

Whats your view on BRM for this 'task'? Its normal for cash to be very swingy as you seem to have found out.

You just trying to stick to NL10 and under until the roll grows (hopefully) or going to take shots at higher levels?
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I'll be offline most of tomorrow (Wednesday), other duties call. 861 have sent me on "location", interviewing, arguably, the most successful poker player in the UK. Should be fun. Might just get some tips off him whilst I'm there.   Don't even try asking his name. It'll be on 861 soon enough. ;) So no playing poker for me tomorrow until, at best, mid-evening. Have a good day.   
    Posted by Tikay10

So, what time you getting to Stoke?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi Tikay. Whats your view on BRM for this 'task'? Its normal for cash to be very swingy as you seem to have found out. You just trying to stick to NL10 and under until the roll grows (hopefully) or going to take shots at higher levels?
    Posted by DrSharp
    Hi Dr Sharp.

I've set aside £200 for the month, so I'll see how it goes. I'd not want to lose the lot before the month ended!

Hopefully, I'll play a bit at varying levels, though for the next week, not greater than 5p-10p. If I'm trundling along nicely, I'll try some 10p-20p then.

If this month goes OK, I'll allocate a bigger 'Roll in October, & maybe move up to 25p-50p, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. I bought a few bob home from Vegas, so I'm using some of that. Thing is, I desperately want to go back to Vegas next year, health permitting, & I'm trying to earn some pennies so I can afford to, so I'd not want to be losing too much in this experiment. Steady as she goes.

Are you a real Doctor? You know, a Doctor Doctor? Or just a Doctor?   

• Options
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : So, what time you getting to Stoke?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ha!

You wish.

Stoke is full of top notch Darts players last I heard. True?

• Options
    POKERTREVPOKERTREV Member Posts: 9,607
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! You wish. Stoke is full of top notch Darts players last I heard. True?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Warning Warning!!! Thread Hijack

Can you check your PM's Sir - ty

Good luck with this btw
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,544
    edited September 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! You wish. Stoke is full of top notch Darts players last I heard. True?  
    Posted by Tikay10

Yep. And the best pool players. The best Football Club (Stoke City, obv).

And the best looking blokes!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi Tikay.

Firstly, I am not a doctor. Its my initials. I'd like to say it was a ploy to make people think I am cleverer than I am at the tables but unfortunately I'm not that intelligent. meh!

The question about the BRM is because I play 4 tables at the limits you are playing and £200 seems a very risky amount. Suppose you gotta take a risk to spin £200 in to a Vegas trip.

Well, for what its worth I hope you win enough for your next Vegas venture. I have actually told the missus that I will use my poker winnings (fingers crossed) to put toward taking her and my son (16 month old) to Disneyland in Florida in a few years. Funny how she has stopped moaning at me as much when I play the odd evening.

GL and I may see you around although my table selection may veer me away from you and your ,ahem, 'followers'.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi Tikay. Firstly, I am not a doctor. Its my initials. I'd like to say it was a ploy to make people think I am cleverer than I am at the tables but unfortunately I'm not that intelligent. meh! The question about the BRM is because I play 4 tables at the limits you are playing and £200 seems a very risky amount. Suppose you gotta take a risk to spin £200 in to a Vegas trip. Well, for what its worth I hope you win enough for your next Vegas venture. I have actually told the missus that I will use my poker winnings (fingers crossed) to put toward taking her and my son (16 month old) to Disneyland in Florida in a few years. Funny how she has stopped moaning at me as much when I play the odd evening. GL and I may see you around although my table selection may veer me away from you and your ,ahem, 'followers'.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Morning Dr Dr.

You were a bit unlucky last night, I play your hand exactly as you did.

I was pleased to get the 2xUp, to be honest. Just as well, too, as I promptly doubled down a few hands later.

Great fun though.

Report of how I am crushing follows.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

So, an Update at last.

First, the news of how well I am crushing.

Starting Roll = £200

Current Roll - £151.49

Reward Points - 440

I missed most of the "DOUBLE REWARD" week due to work - Show last Thursday, then Friday, Saturday & Sunday up at the SPT. I resumed on Monday, but had a mini-session on Tuesday, as I'd decided to have a day to myself.

I've not played NLH Cash for many years, except occasional "social" games, Live, & it's been quite a test, ditto 4 Tabling.

The 4 Tabling made my head spin the first two nights, especially as I feel oblioged to reply to other players who say "hi" in the chat Box, but now I've got it sussed, & can 4 Table with ease. I just spend 5 minutes getting myself organised first, then I'm good to go. The resizeable Tables work a treat.

Been some lovely comments from the other players, which was nice to see. Only one guy got a bit mardy, & made it clear he disliked me, & looked forward to taking all my money. My "crime" was to get it all in pre against him with K-K against his Q-Q.

I got rather lucky against Dr Sharp last night, all-in pre with my K-K v his A-K, & I held.

Minutes later, with my lovely doubled up stack, I deposited the whole lot to "langaleng" when my K-K ran into his setted threes. He was very gracious in victory, fair play to him.

So, going well then.

Can't say I've been particularly unlucky, but most of my big hands have sort of played themselves. I made a bad error for a full pull-up last night when I overplayed A-Q on a Q high flop, & my man - mmmchips - had the Aces. Had I realised it was him, I'd have folded, as I know he's pretty tight. My bad.

So, the living & learning will continue, & I need to do a lot better. We shall see.

I started off playing 2 tables of 2p-4p & 2 tables of 4p-8p, & I'm gradually moving up the stakes, & last night I played 2 x 4p-8p, & 2 x 5p-10p. 

So, come help yuirself, I'm deffo the valooooooo at the moment.

If I have a bad session today, I may revert to some Omaha cash, to replenish the 'Roll. For the record, I'm playing this on my own money, I think it means more (to me) that way.

See you on the Tables later today. I may try 2 x 2 hour sessions today & tomorrow, to take advantage of the last 2 days of DOUBLE REWARDS, it don't arf make a difference.   

• Options
    Batkin88Batkin88 Member Posts: 1,682
    edited September 2013
    I think it is really great that you are playing on the site, it was one of the reasons I first joined to be able to play poker with yourself and Mr Orford fro the TV!

I will keep reading and wish you good luck, and just maybe see you at a table in the future!

GL
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think it is really great that you are playing on the site, it was one of the reasons I first joined to be able to play poker with yourself and Mr Orford fro the TV! I will keep reading and wish you good luck, and just maybe see you at a table in the future! GL
    Posted by Batkin88
    Ooh, thank you!

This sounds a bit pompous, but so many players have said similar things, "we enjoy playing against the likes of you & Thewy" etc.

I've been on the site evey night (bar when working) for 4 or 5 months now, & the warmth has been amazing. I'm generally playing some form of Omaha, or PLO8, but this month I'm having a bash at NLH. 

If you tell me what stakes you play at, & what times you generally play, I'll try & find you, & we can share tables for a while. Just until you send me busto, obv.

Same applies to anyone else really, just say what levels & what time, & I'll try & be there. I can't chat muxch when 4 tabling though, so please don't think I'm being rude. I can barely believe I'm 4 Tabling at my age, lol. It's good to try things though, & getting beat up a bit is no bad thing either. 

PS - Who is Richard Orford?   

• Options
    Batkin88Batkin88 Member Posts: 1,682
    edited September 2013
    Ha Mr Orford is a legend!

I play anything to be honest from NL20 to NL100 but have become slightly bored so don't really mind what level I play, I will come down to NL10 and play some games as just want to enjoy the game as opposed to finding it tedious.

I play lots of Omaha it is my favourite but never really on here so I will keep an eye out and join if I see you playing!
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited September 2013
    Nice to read threads with people just enjoying poker - that's kind of what it should all be about really!

I'm sure I shall donate some more money to you over the rest of your challenge. Everytime I'm looking for a table you are always sat with a space to your right, I guess I'm the only one daft enough to sit with you having position on me.

I'm in no position to critique your hands (obviously), but one thing I wondered was why you didn't auto top-up your stack? I would have thought you had a bit of an edge over most at the micro-stakes so would have wanted the full 100x BB at all times to maximise your value.

Not sure if it is just me, but NL8/NL10 seem to have attracted an influx of newer names since the start of double-points and super-ticket promos. Appear to be a bit more gambley, with far more variance in results (positive and negative). Perhaps aggressive tourni players temporarily coming across to make some money off us nitty cash players? Whatever the reason, it makes the games far more fun! :)
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited September 2013
    Hey Tikay,

Good meeting you at the weekend.

Have enjoyed reading your thread and will look out for you at the tables.

Good luck!
  • Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited September 2013
    Best of luck Tikay. Personally i think the 7.5% rake makes it hard to beat the lower stakes. 

Will be following with interest 
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited September 2013
    Evening Teacake :)

You're right about the double points really making a difference, I only play like 4 hour sessions (twice a day) and I'm getting like 700+ points per session which is definitely not normal. You should get them to carry it on for the month ;)

You been playing any NLHE MTTs with your roll or just cash?

Is there any word on the blog? Sounds like you've been quite busy judging by your last update

Paul
  • Options
    harding10harding10 Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2013
    I'm back playing nl8 this month having not played cash for a while and flown through nl4 in August. Started really hot but have dropped back a little now, currently up a little over £50. Bit of believing I can run like God the last couple of nights, need to think a bit more on dangerous boards.

Having not read this it came as a bit of a shock to see tikay1 on nl8 tables. Don't think I took it in first time, second night I had to check on the hitsquad facebook page to make sure I hadn't lost a few marbles. Tikay at nl8 didn't seem right somehow.

Three years ago when I started playing my 'big' tourney of the week was the Monday night Take on Tikay, a chance to play what to me back then was a better quality field than I was used to playing, and maybe a table with the man himself.

Good to have a chat on the tables the other night but I think for me that chat on the new tables needs to be turned off in future, it's just too distracting.

GL with your challenge Tikay, and if you could just stick to sitting on my right............. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Hi tikay.

Quite an enjoyable little session the other day. Pretty standard stuff between yourself and I. You got the rub unfortunately. I had Ak vs your Kk as you say and doubled you up with Ak vs your QQ too when you were only 70ish BB deep. The AQ hand you folded to my 4 bet was interesting too. Would of been another race as I had jj. C'est la vie.

Cant believe I cant win a race against an OAP.

If I ignored you in the chat then I apologise as I was multi tabling myself. Good game. No doubt we will recommence battle soon.

Are you enjoying the cash experience? 
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Good morning.

I'm afraid I lost my way with this a bit, due to workload, but I've been back on the Tables this weekend, so some Updates will follow shortly, after I've replied to a few Posts.

Last weekend was just impossible for me to play, so I'm well behind schedule, but I've got  4 "free" days now to get back on & have some fun.