You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,196
    First, the bare numbers.

In the year from 1st January 2017 to 31st December 2017, I neither deposited or withdrew, so the change in my Account balance reflects my exact profit or loss.

In that 12 month period, my Account balance increased by....... £231.01.

So, on the face of it, that's my profit for 2017.

Stats can be misleading, though, so let's look at what really happened.
  • Options

First up, I missed most of 2017 due to the health issues I encountered in mid March, so I never played a hand of Online Poker between 16th March & 30th November.

In the period up to mid March, I decided to switch to NLH DYM's. That went pretty badly, I lost plenty, & was the "value" at most of the tables. I enjoyed the change though, & don't regret it.

There was an upside though - my weekly Rewards Payments shot up, instead of £10 to £20 per week, I was getting £50 or £60 per week, & on top of that, I made Priority, so that gave me another lump of money on top. No sooner I made Prio, though, I had to take my sabbatical, so Prio only lasted 1 month. Pfft.

I also did OK in the various Promos, (Sky Poker Premiership, those sort of things) & that gave me another £20 or £30 per week for a month or so.

I played a couple of MTT's, too, & cashed in a couple for a few hundo.

So, in summary, I LOST a bit of money at the Tables, but Sky Poker Rewards, Priority, & Promos turned that loss into a £231 profit on the year.

To be honest, I'm happy with that. I play for personal enjoyment, & I love the game. In effect, I played almost every night for 4 months, so that's 120 nights of free entertainment, with a £230 bonus on top.

Think I'd take that every year if I could. I'm under no illusions as to my ability, so to not lose any money on 2017 was a right result.

If I could still be playing poker this time next year, & have broken even, I'd be as happy as Larry, for all sorts of reasons.

We shall see.
  • Options

Now the bad news.

Since I returned, I've lost a few bob. Not much - £29.30 to be precise, & that was over a 1 month period. It averages £1 a session, or about 5p per game. Not very good, that.

It's a small sample size of course, but I have a niggling doubt that I've "gone at the game".

It happens, I'm not a young man any more, & I don't do any "poker study", I just stick to my instincts, & do what I do.

Financially, if I were to lose an average of £1 a night, it'd not bother me as such - except that thing that lives in our heads - PRIDE.

So, the task for January is to prove all that guff wrong, & see if I can get back to making a small profit.

• Options

The other current problem is PLO8 DYM liquidity.

I play at my best (or least worst...) when I have 5 or 6 tables on the go, & that's rarely been possible in December, it seems to max at 3 to 4 tables most nights, & very few games run at £10 or £15, which is where I really do focus.

So, I might start playing NLH again. I can't mix NLH & PLO8, so I'll only play NLH when there is insufficient PLO8 action.

Pretty sure the NLH boys will be licking their lips.....

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Do you ever play the PLO8 mtts? Think you said somewhere you don't particularly like bounty hunters?
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,532
    I hope 2018 is all you want it to be Tikay. You will need to make a bit more of a profit than last year though to pay for the wedding B)

....you could always play PLO8 NL. :p

Good Luck anyway Sir.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

Now the bad news.

Since I returned, I've lost a few bob. Not much - £29.30 to be precise, & that was over a 1 month period. It averages £1 a session, or about 5p per game. Not very good, that.

It's a small sample size of course, but I have a niggling doubt that I've "gone at the game".

It happens, I'm not a young man any more, & I don't do any "poker study", I just stick to my instincts, & do what I do.

Financially, if I were to lose an average of £1 a night, it'd not bother me as such - except that thing that lives in our heads - PRIDE.

So, the task for January is to prove all that guff wrong, & see if I can get back to making a small profit.

Didn't know what sort of sample that was over so scoped you for December. Interesting you were losing in smaller games and winning in the bigger buy in ones. Is it just a case of raises getting respected at the higher stakes?
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good to see you enjoying your return to the tables after an enforced sabbatical for the worst possible of reasons.

Given your liquidity issues, is mixing in some PLO cash games an option? Failing that, convincing the suits at sky to rebrand it as 'four card holdem' should to the trick I'd have thought :)

Best of luck for 2018 and many thanks for your continued hard work round here.
  • Options

Good to see you enjoying your return to the tables after an enforced sabbatical for the worst possible of reasons.

Given your liquidity issues, is mixing in some PLO cash games an option? Failing that, convincing the suits at sky to rebrand it as 'four card holdem' should to the trick I'd have thought :)

Best of luck for 2018 and many thanks for your continued hard work round here.

Yes, it's definitely something I may do. I've done it previously, with a modicum of success, though I'm a bit too tight these days for PLO cash, but as a side game whilst playing the DYM's, yes, I can handle a couple of PLO cash Tables.

Having said all that, the PLO8 DYM liquidity was perfect last night, 5 or 6 Tables on the go all evening, 7 at one point. If it stays like that, I wont have a problem - or an excuse. ;)

Best of luck to you too in 2018, you have been a great addition to the Forum. Long may it last.
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

I hope 2018 is all you want it to be Tikay. You will need to make a bit more of a profit than last year though to pay for the wedding B)

....you could always play PLO8 NL. :p

Good Luck anyway Sir.

Thanks Alan - you too.

What's the under/over in days before Mark Hughes is shown the door by Miss Coates?

I'll take the Unders.

I confess to having a vested interest - I have, by my standards, a hefty bet on Stoke City to be relegated. Got on at 7/1 or thereabouts, & have just laid £200 on Betty @ 2/1, so I'm gonna make a good few bob either way.
  • Options

Do you ever play the PLO8 mtts? Think you said somewhere you don't particularly like bounty hunters?

In "Live Poker", yes, I go to Vegas annually & play, usually, 20 or more "Live" MTT's, most of them PLO8, plus a few PLO.

Online, if the diary permits, I do usually play the UKOPS PLO8 & PLO.

I don't play the evening schedule of PLO8 MTT's here as most are only £1 or £2, & only pay 5 or 6, so I don't really "feel it".

They do have that dreadful PLO8 Bounty Hunter MTT, but I'm a bit of a purist, & mixing Bounty Hunters & PLO8 - The Beautiful Game - seems indecent to me. Bit like adding Tesco Budget Coca Cola to a fine malt whiskey, or having a banana with steak. Some things just do sit well together.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Tikay10 said:

In "Live Poker", yes, I go to Vegas annually & play, usually, 20 or more "Live" MTT's, most of them PLO8, plus a few PLO.

Online, if the diary permits, I do usually play the UKOPS PLO8 & PLO.

I don't play the evening schedule of PLO8 MTT's here as most are only £1 or £2, & only pay 5 or 6, so I don't really "feel it".

They do have that dreadful PLO8 Bounty Hunter MTT, but I'm a bit of a purist, & mixing Bounty Hunters & PLO8 - The Beautiful Game - seems indecent to me. Bit like adding Tesco Budget Coca Cola to a fine malt whiskey, or having a banana with steak. Some things just do sit well together.

Yum!

On second thoughts, that thing in the middle looks rather strange...
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

Now the bad news.

Didn't know what sort of sample that was over so scoped you for December. Interesting you were losing in smaller games and winning in the bigger buy in ones. Is it just a case of raises getting respected at the higher stakes?
    Ha, don't think players "respect" my raises at ANY level. Don't blame them, to be honest.

Fair to say, though, at the £3 & £5 level, there are at least 3 players in the regular "pool" who limp into EVERY hand & then call ANY raise. Now we all know that's the way to the poorhouse, but the truth is, you can't "range" these guys - they could have, literally, any 4 cards. So they are quite tricky to play. Against good players who bet their hands, we can range them much better. In theory, of course.

Sample size means its too early to say, but if I do better at the bigger games, its because I give them my full focus & attention, whereas in the £3 games, I sometimes, you know, sort of "drift off" & lose my concentration. A £10 game really matters (to me) so it just gets more attention, that's the truth.
  • Options

Meanwhile, back to the present, here's last night's effort.

£3, P10, W8, L2

£5, P9, W6, L3

£10, P1, W1, L0

PROFIT on session = £34.50.

At these stakes, that's about as good as it gets for me.

Think I just ran better, played better, bet better, & bettered better.
  • Options
    FCHDFCHD Member Posts: 3,178
    Tikay10 said:

Or putting Bisto on a nice home-cooked roast dinner?

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    Cut out the "mis clicks" and taking all my chips :-)
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    Seriously
    You played just fine at nl dyms. I certainly didn’t like having you on my tables
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,402
    Jac35 said:

Seriously
    You played just fine at nl dyms. I certainly didn’t like having you on my tables

Its a trap teakcakes, tighten up.
  • Options
    FCHD said:

Tikay10 said:

Or putting Bisto on a nice home-cooked roast dinner?

oi, nothing wrong with Bisto poured on ANYTHING.

Gill was a bit cross with me when I requested Bisto on our Turkey Dinner at Xmas.

Pretty sure HM The Queen is a Bisto fan. Class, see?
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Seriously

Seriously?

That's very kind of you to say, but I'm pretty sure most of those boys loved having me around.

One big mistake I made was to go from £3 & £5 to £10, £20, £30 & even £50 too quickly. I might just about break even at the £3 & £5, but it was probably a mistake to mix it with the Big Boys. Great fun though, & I really enjoyed sharing tables with the likes of you, Timmy, Reflex, Mushy, Mayhem, Johnnyrkd & those boys. Even diabli, who took an instant dislike to me, not quite sure why.