You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,963
    mumsie said:

Jac35 said:

Seriously
    You played just fine at nl dyms. I certainly didn’t like having you on my tables

Its a trap teakcakes, tighten up.
    Yup, think so.

Can't trust a DCFC fan.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

Cut out the "mis clicks" and taking all my chips :-)

Ugh, that was horrible.

Think I was "on the move", & as you know, I somehow pinged runner runner wheel. Must confess, was not a great play, but it happens in this game.

I put some horrible beats on @Enut , too. I outdrew him dreadfully, then he got lucky v me the very next hand with what was left of his stack. As I typed, "there you go, win some, lose some" he busted in ugly fashion the very next hand. He ran terribly all evening,
  • Options

LOTS of traffic last night, most I've seen since I returned to the tables, & I managed 30 games, which, back in the day, was normal.

Quite a few faces we don't normally see in the PLO8 DYM's, too, including @conorshay1 - who had a terrific night - erchie7714, eldel20, SCUMQUEEN & ****_rot
  • Options

Results from 3rd January

£3, P13, W5, L8

£5, P13, W8, L5

£10, P3, W3, L0

£15, P1, W0, L1

Profit on night = £6.10.

Was pretty annoyed when I made a bad miscalculation in the only £15 game which ran. No idea if I would have won it, but I shot myself in the foot with a rash play, & so that caused a £30 turnaround in the numbers. Luckily, I won all three £10 games which ran, so I guess I ought not complain.
  • Options
    conorshay1conorshay1 Member Posts: 139
    hi tikay, I actually never new people actually played plo8 dym , just thought I would have a look, was not a bad night, pity I lost it on the cash :(
  • Options

Results from 4th January

£3, P11, W6, L5

£5, P15, W6, L9

£10, P2, W1, L1

LOSS on Night = £24.80

• Options

A bad night really, though I'm still comfortably ahead on the week.

Despite getting it in good repeatedly on my exit hands, I somehow managed to lose 6 of the first 7 games, so I was £23 in the hole from the get go.

Managed to pull it back, & get myself in profit by Game 24 (of 28), but then lost 3 from 4, including a tenner jobbie, to sink back into loss.

One of those nights.

Decent traffic again, though not quite as much as the previous night.

Pentagon seems to be revving up interest in DYM's, you can really rack the points up. I selected Green League - not quite sure why - & I'm currently sitting in 34th, which is worth a tenner if sustained.

Really weird how I - & many others - try so hard in things like Pentagon. £10 does not, on the face of it, seem much, but it all helps.

Plan to play a lot this weekend, maybe even some £3 & £5 NLH DYM's when there is no PLO8 action. And, of course, will set fire to that £10, & plenty more besides, in all probability.
  • Options

One very odd spot came up twice in successive games last night.

4 of us left, blinds 150-300.

I have 5,000, guy to my immediate left - good player, but not experienced in DYM dynamics - also has 5,000. The 2 shorties each have 1,000.

When it's folded to me in the SB, I fold every time. No point at all going to war with the other Big Stack, it's the Shorties we gotta focus on.

Twice though, I found a big hand against the Shorties in the Blinds, & raised it up. Unbelievably, the other Big Stack 3 bet me each time.

To me, that makes no sense at all. If we go to war & get it all-in, 1 of us goes busto, & a shortie wins.

So I'm attacking - or trying to - the 2 Shorties, but the Big Stack has not worked it out, & keeps playing back at me.

I really don't understand that. I folded each time - obviously. But the Shorties survived longer simply because I could not get at them., as the other Big Stack kept getting in the way.

To my mind, when 4 handed, we should always attack the short stacks 4 handed, even if I am one of them. Why would you not? 1st, 2nd & 3rd all get the same, it's not an MTT, but some can't seem to grasp that. Or maybe it's me that's got it wrong.

Wonderful, the way we all see it differently.
  • Options

We have a regular who plays EVERY hand, & calls every raise. Never raises, but always calls. Limp, it gets raised up. CALL.

He was hitting last night, & won nearly half of his games.

Maybe he knows best, eh?
  • Options

Ger was called a "fkn donk" last night, then busted the fella who himself "fkn donked".

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

A bad night really, though I'm still comfortably ahead on the week.

Despite getting it in good repeatedly on my exit hands, I somehow managed to lose 6 of the first 7 games, so I was £23 in the hole from the get go.

Managed to pull it back, & get myself in profit by Game 24 (of 28), but then lost 3 from 4, including a tenner jobbie, to sink back into loss.

One of those nights.

Decent traffic again, though not quite as much as the previous night.

Pentagon seems to be revving up interest in DYM's, you can really rack the points up. I selected Green League - not quite sure why - & I'm currently sitting in 34th, which is worth a tenner if sustained.

Really weird how I - & many others - try so hard in things like Pentagon. £10 does not, on the face of it, seem much, but it all helps.

Plan to play a lot this weekend, maybe even some £3 & £5 NLH DYM's when there is no PLO8 action. And, of course, will set fire to that £10, & plenty more besides, in all probability.

oioi, am up to 28th now, which is worth £15.

And so now I want to play even more this weekend.

Daft, isn't it?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    every time he 3bets you he blocks the short stacks and they blind away.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

They would blind away anyway as I've potted it.

What if I 4 bet him, how's he gonna like that? One of us goes busto & the shorties survive?

But then he LIMPED into them next orbit, so they got a Freeroll.

I mean, we have to win our own game, not rely on others, but some collective thinking is surely in order?
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    Hi Tikay last I checked you were doing well year to date so well done and may be your proving your not losing your touch?

Im not happy with my results to date I think I need more focus in my games but I do think its getting tricky playing the same regular good players so often, the likes of yourself, Whizz, Eon, Adzbo, Im sure I've left a few out. I wonder is it getting tougher to cash now or am I just gonna have to be wiser about the table I choose :).

Enjoying it non the less though and winning a small plo8 mtt helped keep me out of a loss for the moment anyhow!

Regarding the player that reraised your raise ( I dont know who he is nor does that matter) but do you think perhaps he is exploiting the fact your not gonna call him and taking your chips. I have noticed a few people do this with me also and sometimes you wonder do you need to call them to keep them honest for future games, not every time but occasionally!

See you this evening,
    Ger
  • Options
    gerardirl said:

Hi Tikay last I checked you were doing well year to date so well done and may be your proving your not losing your touch?

Im not happy with my results to date I think I need more focus in my games but I do think its getting tricky playing the same regular good players so often, the likes of yourself, Whizz, Eon, Adzbo, Im sure I've left a few out. I wonder is it getting tougher to cash now or am I just gonna have to be wiser about the table I choose :).

Enjoying it non the less though and winning a small plo8 mtt helped keep me out of a loss for the moment anyhow!

Regarding the player that reraised your raise ( I dont know who he is nor does that matter) but do you think perhaps he is exploiting the fact your not gonna call him and taking your chips. I have noticed a few people do this with me also and sometimes you wonder do you need to call them to keep them honest for future games, not every time but occasionally!

See you this evening,
    Ger

Thanks Ger.

Yes, fair to say, when the "regulars" are all on the same table - which is often - none of them have much of an edge. Breaking even against most of those is hard in itself.

Not much we can do about that, other than to keep being warm & friendly to Newbies, & encourage others to come across to The Beautiful Game.

• Options
    gerardirl said:

See you this evening,
    Ger

Possibly. I'm more inclined to think he's still using his MTT or cash game mindset, & has not thought too much about 4 handed play in a DYM.

And yes, if they start to exploit the position, then we have to play back at them on occasion, to keep them honest, so to speak.

Of course, Grumpy Jac may have a point, too, he's very experienced & successful at DYM's. To my mind, it does not matter if I raise, or he does, as long as we - legitimately - remember we are playing for 3 places, all of which pay the same, so by whatever means, keep the pressure on the Shorties. And, in many if not most of those cases, I AM that Shortie.

See you later mate.
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    I think reraising your raise is not good because it will probably cause you to fold and if they call they have the same amount of chips to win but just 2 contesting instead of 3. To me if you raise, they should call or fold, not reraise. Not sure if Jac saw the fact you mentioned you pot raise before he raraised.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,486
    edited January 2018
    Tikay10 said:

Jac35 said:

What if I 4bet him, how's he gonna like that? One of us goes busto & the shorties survive?

I mean, we have to win our own game, not rely on others, but some collective thinking is surely in order?
    I agree with you mostly on that hand. In the interests of healthy discussion though, I’ll fight your opponents corner.

I think his play has some merits.

They would blind away anyway as I’ve potted it”

Not necessarily. He might decide this Is the hand to make his stand. The situation changes dramatically once there’s a 3bet.
    I don’t really know ranges in plo8 and so I’ll use a hold em example. Let’s have the same stack sizes and I’ll be in the big blind. I have 88. To a single raise from you, I’m getting it in. Now there’s been a 3bet I’m leaning towards the fold.

Potted it”

I must say I’ve always been curious as to why everyone seems to pot everything pre in plo8. Is it because the strength of hand is good enough that we’re happy to get in pre if necessary but often won’t play as well post flop?
    In this situation I assume you’re always going with your hand regardless of what the short stack does? If that’s the case, why not min and if the big stack does go bonkers then we can fold easily without too much damage to our stack

What if I 4bet him?

Never gonna happen. In fact I’ve checked with SkyBet and they’ve given me 946,000 to 1 on the double of Derby getting promoted and you 4betting in that spot.
    It makes it a very safe play for him and he gets totally locked.

but some collective thinking is surely in order
    You’d think so but not everyone plays like this. Recent winner of 2nd most lovable Icelandic chappy, obv after Magnus Magnusson, Dial, used to do this all the time. He was incredibly frustrating to play against and exploited players non stop on the bubble. Obv on the odd occasion when I did decide on the 4bet, he had Aces :)

You’ll know better than me if your opponent was thinking along any of these lines. You should def listen to me too. If you do a scope then you’ll see that I only average around a fiver loss per game these days

Edit
    I’ve just realised that dial did even better than I thought to come 2nd in the Icelandic poll.
    Seeing as he’s Finnish
  • Options

Some good stuff there Paul.

I'm a bit busy right now, so will reply properly, or later.

Just the easy one for now - why do most players pot it in PLO8 DYM's rather than min?

1) In late stage play - where it really matters - it rarely makes sense to raise fold, as at, say, 200-400, the average is just 7.5 Bigs. Not sure we can afford to raise fold too often.

2) If I'm 5 or 6 tabling, I just don't have time (or CBA?) to mess about with various bet sizes. I just plonk that pot button, it's easier & quicker. At earlier levels, yes, I often open 2X & frequently (but not often enough) bet-fold.

Me 4 betting? I'll have you know I have already 4 bet twice since I returned, & I've only played a few hundred games. Get outa here.
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Tikay10 said:

Jac35 said:

What if I 4bet him, how's he gonna like that? One of us goes busto & the shorties survive?

I agree with you mostly on that hand. In the interests of healthy discussion though, I’ll fight your opponents corner.

I think his play has some merits.

They would blind away anyway as I’ve potted it”

Not necessarily. He might decide this Is the hand to make his stand. The situation changes dramatically once there’s a 3bet.
    I don’t really know ranges in plo8 and so I’ll use a hold em example. Let’s have the same stack sizes and I’ll be in the big blind. I have 88. To a single raise from you, I’m getting it in. Now there’s been a 3bet I’m leaning towards the fold.

Potted it”

I must say I’ve always been curious as to why everyone seems to pot everything pre in plo8. Is it because the strength of hand is good enough that we’re happy to get in pre if necessary but often won’t play as well post flop?
    In this situation I assume you’re always going with your hand regardless of what the short stack does? If that’s the case, why not min and if the big stack does go bonkers then we can fold easily without too much damage to our stack

What if I 4bet him?

Never gonna happen. In fact I’ve checked with SkyBet and they’ve given me 946,000 to 1 on the double of Derby getting promoted and you 4betting in that spot.
    It makes it a very safe play for him and he gets totally locked.

but some collective thinking is surely in order
    You’d think so but not everyone plays like this. Recent winner of 2nd most lovable Icelandic chappy, obv after Magnus Magnusson, Dial, used to do this all the time. He was incredibly frustrating to play against and exploited players non stop on the bubble. Obv on the odd occasion when I did decide on the 4bet, he had Aces :)

You’ll know better than me if your opponent was thinking along any of these lines. You should def listen to me too. If you do a scope then you’ll see that I only average around a fiver loss per game these days

Edit
    I’ve just realised that dial did even better than I thought to come 2nd in the Icelandic poll.
    Seeing as he’s Finnish
    Oh my, I never knew that. So is he no longer with us?