You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    adzboadzbo Member Posts: 52
    Tikay10 said:

For balance, I've not deposited or withdrawn in 5 years, & I've increased my original £200 20 fold. Over half of that came from Rewards Money & Promos though.

That's not too bad then. You can't be too unhappy with that? Also, rewards money and promos still class as profit so nowt wrong with a good chunk being from those. That's part of the reason for doing them, isn't it?

With the run you're on, I had an awful run from Sept to Dec (bar one decent showing in the UKOPS Hi/Lo in Nov, I think?) but this month has been better so it's more than likely just one of those extended periods where if it can go wrong, it will - I mean, I've luckboxed out against you countless times this month so I guess you just have to try and play through and hope it picks up - as you say, it's the hope that keeps us going!

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,197
    adzbo said:

Tikay10 said:

For balance, I've not deposited or withdrawn in 5 years, & I've increased my original £200 20 fold. Over half of that came from Rewards Money & Promos though.

That's not too bad then. You can't be too unhappy with that? Also, rewards money and promos still class as profit so nowt wrong with a good chunk being from those. That's part of the reason for doing them, isn't it?

With the run you're on, I had an awful run from Sept to Dec (bar one decent showing in the UKOPS Hi/Lo in Nov, I think?) but this month has been better so it's more than likely just one of those extended periods where if it can go wrong, it will - I mean, I've luckboxed out against you countless times this month so I guess you just have to try and play through and hope it picks up - as you say, it's the hope that keeps us going!

Yup, gotta ride them swings & swongs. Always a worry when the swongs outnumber the swings though.

FWIW, I've been much impressed with how you have improved your game recently. You are amongst the very best now, if I may say so.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Yup, gotta ride them swings & swongs. Always a worry when the swongs outnumber the swings though.

FWIW, I've been much impressed with how you have improved your game recently. You are amongst the very best now, if I may say so.

Those swongs are always worse than the swings but, as rubbish as it is, it's par for the course - particularly when the OHL pool is pretty small and filled with some good players too.

Thanks, T, that's nice of you to say so. To be fair, I think I've just had one of those months where I've played pretty well and ran really well.

That being said, I've tried to tweak my game a bit over the last couple of months based on a couple of things you've said - one was upping my aggression a little and the other was from a thread where you were talking about multi-tabling. Playing 3/4 tables at once has improved my focus no end and stopped me getting distracted by things which have now just become background noise so thanks for the advice - it's very much appreciated.
  • Options
    dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,052
    Afternoon Tikay
    While you are still on a downswing, I will probably join in again later.
    If you could let me know when you are about to improve things, result wise, I can have a short break.

Thanks in advance.
    :)
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    I think games like DYMs have just got harder as they are one of the easier formats to solve. There isn't really the option to be that creative in them compared to other formats and players tend to understand the strategy a lot better now than in the past. When you are looking at 4% ROI as being very good, it is quite fine margins between being a breakeven player and those margins. With that said I think it is a RB style game and a good one for some of the points promos so its about volume and you cant ignore the promo/RB money when assessing how you are doing.

Also what we deem bad play can effect us in different ways depending on the format. If players are limp folding to raises then its pretty good in any format. If players are being overly aggro then this can make it hard in a DYM as we don't really want showdown that often. Winning uncontested chips is great for us. I think these days there are a lot more aggressive players than there were previously. If we are playing cash vs overly aggro players we can just reload and that money is still on the table.
  • Options

Afternoon Tikay
    While you are still on a downswing, I will probably join in again later.
    If you could let me know when you are about to improve things, result wise, I can have a short break.

Thanks in advance.
    :)

The Evil Mistress of Variance wrote to me today & said it's gonna last all February.

See you tonight. And every night.

I thought you were disarmingly honest in the chatbox the other night, when you openly admitted to be of Welsh descent. Takes courage, that.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

I think games like DYMs have just got harder as they are one of the easier formats to solve. There isn't really the option to be that creative in them compared to other formats and players tend to understand the strategy a lot better now than in the past. When you are looking at 4% ROI as being very good, it is quite fine margins between being a breakeven player and those margins. With that said I think it is a RB style game and a good one for some of the points promos so its about volume and you cant ignore the promo/RB money when assessing how you are doing.

Also what we deem bad play can effect us in different ways depending on the format. If players are limp folding to raises then its pretty good in any format. If players are being overly aggro then this can make it hard in a DYM as we don't really want showdown that often. Winning uncontested chips is great for us. I think these days there are a lot more aggressive players than there were previously. If we are playing cash vs overly aggro players we can just reload and that money is still on the table.

Thanks Matt.

I do try to avoid showdowns in this format, by using particular tactics, but many are inevitable.

Incidentally, it just occurred to me that as I played just under 1,000 DYM's in January, & my average buy-in is about £5 (plus reg fee), I spent £5,500 in January playing poker. That's a scary number.

Even scarier is the % return I earned on £5,500. (£24.68). I'd work it out & post it, but I don't have that many zeros on my keyboard.

Have to agree, I don't mind including Rewards Money in my returns, at those volumes it makes no sense not to.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    adzbo said:

Tikay10 said:

Those swongs are always worse than the swings but, as rubbish as it is, it's par for the course - particularly when the OHL pool is pretty small and filled with some good players too.

Thanks, T, that's nice of you to say so. To be fair, I think I've just had one of those months where I've played pretty well and ran really well.

That being said, I've tried to tweak my game a bit over the last couple of months based on a couple of things you've said - one was upping my aggression a little and the other was from a thread where you were talking about multi-tabling. Playing 3/4 tables at once has improved my focus no end and stopped me getting distracted by things which have now just become background noise so thanks for the advice - it's very much appreciated.
    Tip for improving your game?
    STOP calling my raises! :-)
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    Tikay10 said:

About the same for me with my original £50
    Slight difference as i dont usually do the Promos and dont play enough these days to get Rewards.

• Options
    VespaPX said:

Tip for improving your game?
    STOP calling my raises! :-)

Ha! Thanks, Vespa - I'll definitely give that one some thought. I might add it to my list of improvements for 2023 ;)

• Options

Well done Mick, (@VespaPX) if you can play poker almost every night & never Deposit, that's a pretty good deal I'd say.

For most of us - certainly you & me - whilst money is a measure of success & failure in poker, the fact is we play for fun & entertainment. If we can do that for free, I'd say that's as good as it gets, realistically, for us.
  • Options

Very hot and cold yesterday.

Began with a 10 game NLH session, & I managed to lose 7 of the 10. Probably deserved, I made a few basic mistakes.

Then I turned to PLO8 & won 12 from 14, including a nine-streak, though, frustratingly, lost the very last which was a £15-er after my Aces were bust, somewhat improbably, by a chap who check raised me pre-flop with K-Q-6-3. That's called flair.

So the day ended with just £7 of profit, but that'll do nicely.

No poker tonight or tomorrow, Gill is down for the weekend, but I'll be back on Sunday.

Late night in prospect on Sunday, as it's Super Bowl Sunday. Can't wait.
  • Options

Super Bowl will be held at the US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, which is home to the Vikings, who so nearly made Super Bowl, only to fall short at the last hurdle.

So it's the Patriots - again - v Eagles.

Patriots, naturally - are the jollies, but the Eagles won't go down without a fight.

Here's the US Bank Stadium. NFL, & the USA generally, really do Stadiums. Wonderful, isn't it?

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited February 2018
    Tikay10 said:

Very hot and cold yesterday.

Began with a 10 game NLH session, & I managed to lose 7 of the 10. Probably deserved, I made a few basic mistakes.

Then I turned to PLO8 & won 12 from 14, including a nine-streak, though, frustratingly, lost the very last which was a £15-er after my Aces were bust, somewhat improbably, by a chap who check raised me pre-flop with K-Q-6-3. That's called flair.

So the day ended with just £7 of profit, but that'll do nicely.

No poker tonight or tomorrow, Gill is down for the weekend, but I'll be back on Sunday.

Late night in prospect on Sunday, as it's Super Bowl Sunday. Can't wait.

A trifle lazy on my part i accept
  • Options

The National Anthem will be sung by none other than Pink - a surprising but excellent choice, & the half time entertainment will come from Justin Timberlake, his third Super Bowl performance, which, arguably, is 3 too many.

Here's Pink, or as she prefers to be known these days, Alecia Moore.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    i actually dont normally bther much with the yankee throw ball stuff, but I actually have a few friends in Philly and The Eagles play in green so they were a natural choice for me to adopt.
    So this year Supebowl Sunday is a proper bit of a do, actually can't wait.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

i actually dont normally bther much with the yankee throw ball stuff, but I actually have a few friends in Philly and The Eagles play in green so they were a natural choice for me to adopt.
    So this year Supebowl Sunday is a proper bit of a do, actually can't wait.

Was the best Super Bowl I've ever watched, with every record in the books broken. I broke even on my Super Bowl "proper" bets, but nicked a good few bob by betting that Justin Timberlake would perform a Prince tribute, which was nailed on. 2/1 was a real steal.

What a time to be alive if you enjoy watching sport. Mark Williams was magnificent in demolishing Dott 9-1, Spurs & Liverpool drew 2-2 in a thriller, then the day ended with that wonderful Super Bowl.

Cracking day.

• Options

Meanwhile, a quiet week for me at the poker tables, played less than usual as I had real-life stuff to sort.

Ended up losing £11 on the week, over a 117 game sample, so neither here nor there really. The days when I was guaranteed to win every week are long gone, but I still love it to bits.

Tables were very quiet last night, never had more than 3 games going at any point & I ended up de-regging early as I was losing concentration.

Had the pleasure of a full 2XUp on the first hand in the only £10 game that ran after J-J-7-4 man 4 & 6 bet me pre when I held A-A-2-3 DS, & he was dead on the flop. Nice for me, not so nice for him.

Still struggling with my NLH game. The NLH player pool seems to be split into two - guys that have a hand & open with a raise, & those who limp into every hand. We are supposed to "put our opponent on a range" but when they limp/call any 2, it's tough, you just have to mash the bet button if you think your hand is good. It seems far easier to play the "proper" players, but I'm struggling to consistently break even no matter who it is. I'd not say I'm "the value" at most NLH tables, but I very much doubt anyone fears my game. Can't say I blame them, tbh.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    Tikay10 said:

Meanwhile, a quiet week for me at the poker tables, played less than usual as I had real-life stuff to sort.

Ended up losing £11 on the week, over a 117 game sample, so neither here nor there really. The days when I was guaranteed to win every week are long gone, but I still love it to bits.

Tables were very quiet last night, never had more than 3 games going at any point & I ended up de-regging early as I was losing concentration.

Had the pleasure of a full 2XUp on the first hand in the only £10 game that ran after J-J-7-4 man 4 & 6 bet me pre when I held A-A-2-3 DS, & he was dead on the flop. Nice for me, not so nice for him.

Still struggling with my NLH game. The NLH player pool seems to be split into two - guys that have a hand & open with a raise, & those who limp into every hand. We are supposed to "put our opponent on a range" but when they limp/call any 2, it's tough, you just have to mash the bet button if you think your hand is good. It seems far easier to play the "proper" players, but I'm struggling to consistently break even no matter who it is. I'd not say I'm "the value" at most NLH tables, but I very much doubt anyone fears my game. Can't say I blame them, tbh.

Do you table select when you play NLHE DYMs? Off a small sample size I have some ok results doing this when table count is low.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

Tikay10 said:

Do you table select when you play NLHE DYMs? Off a small sample size I have some ok results doing this when table count is low.
    No, I just take them as they come. The mix rarely varies, 1 or 2 decent types, & the rest a proper mixture.

I occasionally play the £10 version (I'm 99% £5 games at the mo) and in those, yes, I table select.

I think, as a rule, we should never fear 1 or 2 top class players in a DYM, but if Team Timmy, Spanks & Co are all regged, then I'm less enthusiastic.

Sometimes, of course, there's the bonus of Jac35 at the table. Gotta play those ones.