You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    bump
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,197

^^^

Ha, are you mad Mr E?

Do you really want me to resume by random blathering & wittering?

PS - Congrats on the 17 game winning streak, amazing stuff.

• Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    Of course we all (most) enjoy your ramblings.
    After checking on sharky it turned out that it was 19,I'D forgot that I had won my last 2 on Friday
  • Options
    ^^^

Ha, are you mad Mr E?

Do you really want me to resume by random blathering & wittering?

PS - Congrats on the 17 game winning streak, amazing stuff.
    eon1961 said:

Of course we all (most) enjoy your ramblings.
    After checking on sharky it turned out that it was 19,I'D forgot that I had won my last 2 on Friday

19?

That's stunning.

Well done Mr E.
  • Options

I'll give it a go for a week or so then, hopefully you & the other potential reader will have had enough by then.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Really need to bring readers up to date on, but all the scene-setting is boring, rather like the intro to a good book is usually a sleep-fest. Or a bad book, for that matter......

So I'll skip that for starters & get right on with it.
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    Right, that's enough

;)
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Ahhh My favourite read is back.
    A 19 game win streak, at PLO8, that is amazing.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Up to Manchester last weekend for the Road to Manchester thing, & stayed at The Midland Hotel which was an eye-opener, & really rather splendid.

It used to be owned by the Midland Railway, & was bang opposite what was Manchester Central Railway Station, though these days it is a Convention Centre.

Wiki says......

"The Midland Hotel was allegedly coveted by Adolf Hitler, who maintained a keen interest in architecture, as a possible Nazi headquarters in Britain. American intelligence speculated that the area of Manchester around the town hall was spared from bombing so as not to damage or destroy the Midland Hotel."

Think I call utter BS on that, sounds apocryphal to me, but society loves a bit of hyperbole, eh? And Americans are never wrong on these things, are they? Remember WMD?

I'm more inclined to buy this story though;

"The Midland was where Charles Rolls met Henry Royce leading to the formation of Rolls-Royce Limited in 1904"

They have a Royce Suite & a Rolls Suite, both of which looked rather sumptuous.

In 2012, it was voted Manchester's 2nd favourite building by the Manchester Evening News. Anyone care to guess what won? Old Trafford maybe?

• Options
    edited March 2018
    The entrance & reception foyer was proper grand, chandeliers, high ceiling, marble floor, the lot.

The problem with that, & no carpet, is it makes for really "hollow" acoustics, everything seems to echo & all sounds are magnified.

And it was just my luck to be booking in at exactly the moment a Sikh Wedding was passing the Reception counter in a sort of endless procession.

Nothing wrong with Sikh weddings (if that was what it was) of course.

It's just that they have a drummer bloke......and in those acoustics, a bloke banging a drum 13 to the dozen is never going to end well when I'm trying to give Reception my e-Mail address.

You may not know this, but SB&G have the world's longest e-Mail addresses. Truly. My e-addy is about 40 characters long.

So every time I tried to give it to reception.....

Antho....

Anthony.K.......

Anthony.Kend.......

.......Mr Many Colours of Benetton here would give his bongo thing another rat-a-tat-tat.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    I gather the lack of poker reports means you're suffering at the hands of EON like the rest of us?
  • Options

Talking of that drummer bloke, did you see that Ringo Starr got a Knighthood last week?

I don't begrudge him - or anyone else - a gong, good luck to them. Worth noting though that he was the least talented Beatle, & his solo career was conspicuous by it's banality & lack of success. So I'm not sure he is worthy, but no matter, good luck to him. He becomes the 2nd Beatle to be knighted. The most talented pair - Lennon & Harrison - missed the boat, though I guess dying did not help.

• Options

Something about this photo of Ringo's Investiture (is that the correct word?) made me want to do a Caption Comp, but I feared the potentially risque replies might bust the software.

Ringo must be the same height as Batesy.

• Options
    VespaPX said:

I gather the lack of poker reports means you're suffering at the hands of EON like the rest of us?

Poker Reports will follow in due course, but as will become clear, I'm playing a bit less at the moment due to this & that. It's all standard though, good night/bad night/average night, da-de-da. Maybe tomorrow, let's try & keep both readers for at least 24 hours.

The weird thing about Mr E's results are that whenever a complete newbie arrives at the table, with, & I mean no disrespect, but no idea, it's always Mr E that gets all the newbie's chips. Every chuffing time.

You know the feeling, ooh, this kid can't fold a thing, & we lick our lips & salivate at an early 2XUp. Then Eon gets the frigging lot.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,101
    Ringo Starr.

Can never resist the old Jasper Carrot joke:-

"Best drummer in the world? He wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles".
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited March 2018
    Essexphil said:

Ringo Starr.

You reminded me of this. Have always loved cricket sledging. A bit more Intelligent than the football stuff.

James Ormond came out to bat in a match with Australia with Mark Waugh stood at slip. Waugh didn't hold back and immediately said 'what the fxxk are you doing out here, you’re not fxxking good enough... to play for England'

Ormond replied: "Maybe so, but at least I'm the best player in my family".
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Ringo Starr.

Ha, very good.

I'm not a hater, or a Negative Ninnie, & I feel sorry for those who are, as their life is dominated by negativity & angst, poor souls, but I just feel I can think of many individuals who are more worthy of a Sir-hood or Lady-ship.

Folks in the NHS, for example, carers generally, those who try to help refugees find a better life, & so on.

Having said all that, I was quite pleased when this bloke became Sir Roderick. Gotta love that jacket, too.

• Options
    Jac35 said:

Essexphil said:

Ringo Starr.

You reminded me of this. Have always loved cricket sledging. A bit more Intelligent than the football stuff.

James Ormond came out to bat in a match with Australia with Mark Waugh stood at slip. Waugh didn't hold back and immediately said 'what the fxxk are you doing out here, you’re not fxxking good enough... to play for England'

Ormond replied: "Maybe so, but at least I'm the best player in my family".
    oioi. Jac's back. About time too.

Some great sledging stories down the years, how about a few more?
  • Options
  • Options

Merv Hughes was all over Gooch in one test and proceeded to say: “Would you like me to bowl a piano and see if you can play that