You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    Talk about everyone being at the DYMs now! lol, look what you've started JC. Gave you a bit of thanks on Channel 865 last night Matt, seen as it's basically you've I've got to thank for my big successes in DYMs so far.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Lambert, yeah I just caught that mate, thanks very much, really appreciate it. Glad your challenge is going well. It's you that's done all the work mate and your graph is pretty impressive now, keep it going!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Need a new target to get me interested again and have not got around to giving DYM,s a propper go so will start with £100 and play £5 DYM,s with no more than 2 tables at a time. If i,m doing ok I might throw in the odd satelite or STT as i got my 1st game of FL on here earlier as they are normally empty but it will be primarily DYM,s. You,ve probably being asked this before JC but in my experience the difference between £3 and £5 isn,t that much in standard , but is a much higher standard at £10 DYM,s . What do you think? MP I,ll give an update when ive played a few - Will probably need some advive along the way as well - cheers
    Posted by MP33
    Hi MP33, great to have you on board, I'm sure you'll be very successful with this. Regarding the £11s when I first moved up to them I thought there was a huge difference in standard. But, to be honest, with lots more experience now, I don't think there is. I think there can be a mental block when you move up levels and the £11 used to be quite big for me. Certainly, as PF says, there are plenty of really soft games, particularly if you play at peak times. Good luck anyway, will look forward to updates...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Update from yesterday: (all £1.15s):

Had a frustrating morning session, W 11 L 11. One of those sessions where you just can't seem to pull ahead. Went for a walk to put my football coupon on (nothing doing there!). When I came back the afternoon session went a little better and I pulled back to about even for the day. Then I went to see Paranormal Activity 3 with my girlfriend, decent film, much better than the other two, imo. That ate up some grind time but still managed to put in a 3 hour session when I got back where I made a decent profit. My stats for the day finished:

Played 79 W 50 L 29
    BR - £49.57
    Poker points 791. League position looking better (around 35th or something I think).

So tonight I'll be moving up to £2.25 DYMs with 12.5% rake and a required win-rate of 56.25%. That's an improvement, then and hopefully I won't need to look back but I will assess after each block of 6 games I play. Obviously if I lose all my first 6 I'll have to move back down. I always have a soft spot for the £2.25s as this is where I first started playing poker here on Sky and got the bug straight away. (When I first started I was clueless about rake and required win-rates otherwise I might have started in the £3.30s!). Looking forward to tonight, too, as I always do when a live show is on, they're great entertainment while you're grinding. Just hope my internet doesn't have other plans :-S

Target required to move up to £3.30s - £66 (only a £17 jump!)

Good luck everyone with your own challenges!
  • Options
    Poker_FailPoker_Fail Member Posts: 1,755
    edited February 2014
    Update from yesterday: (all £1.15s): Had a frustrating morning session, W 11 L 11. One of those sessions where you just can't seem to pull ahead. Went for a walk to put my football coupon on (nothing doing there!). When I came back the afternoon session went a little better and I pulled back to about even for the day. Then I went to see Paranormal Activity 3 with my girlfriend, decent film, much better than the other two, imo. That ate up some grind time but still managed to put in a 3 hour session when I got back where I made a decent profit. My stats for the day finished: Played 79 W 50 L 29 BR - £49.57 Poker points 791. League position looking better (around 35th or something I think). So tonight I'll be moving up to £2.25 DYMs with 12.5% rake and a required win-rate of 56.25%. That's an improvement, then and hopefully I won't need to look back but I will assess after each block of 6 games I play. Obviously if I lose all my first 6 I'll have to move back down. I always have a soft spot for the £2.25s as this is where I first started playing poker here on Sky and got the bug straight away. (When I first started I was clueless about rake and required win-rates otherwise I might have started in the £3.30s!). Looking forward to tonight, too, as I always do when a live show is on, they're great entertainment while you're grinding. Just hope my internet doesn't have other plans :-S Target required to move up to £3.30s - £66 (only a £17 jump!) Good luck everyone with your own challenges!
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Havn't seen that but saw number 2 with a few friends and we couldn't stop laughing... it was hilarious!

Although they did ruin the tention when they tell you the "Ghost fish" was a pool cleaner :/

Grats on the level increase, seems you'll start rocketing up now the rake % goes down

GL

EDIT: 57 games on 3 hours??? how the...

How many C4P do you have now? probably enough to skip the £3.30s lol
  • Options
    stretch83stretch83 Member Posts: 149
    edited February 2014
    Nice work JC, you are flying towards your target now!  My BR down to £16.78 (was 13, but clawed it back up on the 50p DYMs), I spent a few quid on the Mini B/H which I am kicking myeslf for.  Going to concentrate on DYMs only until New year!

Good luck in the UKOPs events!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Havn't seen that but saw number 2 with a few friends and we couldn't stop laughing... it was hilarious! Although they did ruin the tention when they tell you the "Ghost fish" was a pool cleaner :/ Grats on the level increase, seems you'll start rocketing up now the rake % goes down GL EDIT: 57 games on 3 hours??? how the... How many C4P do you have now? probably enough to skip the £3.30s lol
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Lol, yeah I had similar thoughts about the second one but the third was pretty decent I thought. The last 57 games was over a couple of 3 hour sessions, not one, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Poker points are still under 1k lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Nice work JC, you are flying towards your target now!  My BR down to £16.78 (was 13, but clawed it back up on the 50p DYMs), I spent a few quid on the Mini B/H which I am kicking myeslf for.  Going to concentrate on DYMs only until New year! Good luck in the UKOPs events!
    Posted by stretch83
    Thanks stretch. I'm going to try and sat into the Monday and Saturday UKOPS events this week as well as I woud love to play them too. Keep going with the DYMs mate, good luck!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Frustrating night tonight, not ran that badly for a good few sessions I don't think. Seemed to constantly run into the nuts when shoving late on and took some pretty weird beats too. That's how it goes sometimes though. On the positive side, I ended with over £45 (just) so my next session will be kicking off with £2.25s again.

Played 27 £2.25s W 14 L 13
    BR - £46.57

Won't be playing any DYMs tomorrow as will be playing the DTD as well as the two UKOPS sats so next play/update should be Tuesday night. Run well all...
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    Nice work John. Sounds like your session was similar to mine tonight. I won 7 out of 13 so slightly down and yeah like just during tonight's session of 13 times, I can remember off the top of my head at least 3 times when I shoved late on and walked into AA.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Lol, yeah I had similar thoughts about the second one but the third was pretty decent I thought. The last 57 games was over a couple of 3 hour sessions, not one, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Poker points are still under 1k lol.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I guess you were only getting 1 or 2 a game, I got 50 poker points in the Super bounty hunter on saturday which put me just over 1000 :D

Variance has been hitting me very hard in the DYMs recently too :/

GL in the DTD tomorrow.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2014
    Ok =- My first session a cpl of nights ago

I understand what lambert said about BRM at the £5 level , although I can top up if needed. Just thought Iwould start with £100 and seehow it goes

I,ve only played 3 games up till now but am hoping in the next few days I can set aside at least 2-3 hours a  day/night to focus on this 

Br £100

Played 2 x £5.50 DYM,s - Won 1 lost 1 and a £3 STT as it was a soft game, but lost

BR £95.70 - £4.30

EDIT £93.50  - £6.50  after reging for the Omahahartigan league at 9.40pm
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ok =- My first session a cpl of nights ago   I understand what lambert said about BRM at the £5 level , although I can top up if needed. Just thought Iwould start with £100 and seehow it goes I,ve only played 3 games up till now but am hoping in the next few days I can set aside at least 2-3 hours a  day/night to focus on this  Br £100 Played 2 x £5.50 DYM,s - Won 1 lost 1 and a £3 STT as it was a soft game, but lost BR £95.70 - £4.30
    Posted by MP33
    Oh, so you're including regular STTs in this as well? Cos bare in mind it is a very different game when you're going for the win rather than just surviving. The only real proper profit in a regular is by winning.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Oh, so you're including regular STTs in this as well? Cos bare in mind it is a very different game when you're going for the win rather than just surviving. The only real proper profit in a regular is by winning.
    Posted by Lambert180
    it will just be the odd STT  as your rightin the factyou have to win these games as there is such a gap between2nd and  1st in prizemoney 

Played the £2.20 Omahahartigan game - was doing ok - In 10th with 30 + players but got a bad bt on river and never recovered finishing in 25th

Also struggled tonight in finding soft £5 DYM,s so only ended up playing 2 x £3 DYM,s although i cashed in both

BR £98.90  - £1.10
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : it will just be the odd STT  as your rightin the factyou have to win these games as there is such a gap between2nd and  1st in prizemoney  Played the £2.20 Omahahartigan game - was doing ok - In 10th with 30 + players but got a bad bt on river and never recovered finishing in 25th Also struggled tonight in finding soft £5 DYM,s so only ended up playing 2 x £3 DYM,s although i cashed in both BR £98.90  - £1.10
    Posted by MP33
    I wouldnt worry too much about searching out the soft games. Ever since I've started, I just register in the first 2 that come up in the lobby. I only play 2 at a time to make sure I'm deffo playing my A game 100% of the time. I think looking for soft games might be more relevant in higher levels but I've played 250+ £5.50s and I aint done it once.

Stick to JC's rules and you'll do just fine in 90% of games.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I wouldnt worry too much about searching out the soft games. Ever since I've started, I just register in the first 2 that come up in the lobby. I only play 2 at a time to make sure I'm deffo playing my A game 100% of the time. I think looking for soft games might be more relevant in higher levels but I've played 250+ £5.50s and I aint done it once. Stick to JC's rules and you'll do just fine in 90% of games.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I  think my main problem at the minute is not concentrating fully

i,ve got a cpl of mates round and am getting to distracted by the TV. I,m gonna put aside a cpl of hours each night this week to play w/o any distractions

Q for JC and any other regs _  In a previous post JC mentioned  something about the best hours to play

Which hours do ppl think are the easiest to play during the  week? 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I  think my main problem at the minute is not concentrating fully i,ve got a cpl of mates round and am getting to distracted by the TV. I,m gonna put aside a cpl of hours each night this week to play w/o any distractions Q for JC and any other regs _  In a previous post JC mentioned  something about the best hours to play Which hours do ppl think are the easiest to play during the  week? 
    Posted by MP33
    Fri and Saturday nights, you often play against people that you have to assume are drunk, much looser play.

TBH I think Any night from midnight to 2am is pretty soft, although you may not be able to play that late.

I'm gonna have a proper £5.50 grind tomorrow, but will also try satting into the ME as they have been very profitable lately, GL all
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Small update from this week:

Monday was a bit of a disaster MTT wise, so much so that I probably didn't enjoy it at all (very rare for me). 3 early exits in the DTD + 12th when needed 6th in UKOPS super sat + 16th when needed 12th in UKOPS Event 1 semi. All exits lost flips and the like. Tuesday played Omahartigan again, still nothing doing there for me so will give that one up I think now. Over the two days I squeezed in the following:

Played 12 £2.25s W 9 L 3
    BR - £55.57

Got a couple of hours free now to play. I think a target of £11 (required to move up) might just be too much for a two hour session so I'll happily take any profit instead. Will update after...

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Scrap that, had a good couple of hours where I played well and ran better:

Played 17 £2.25s W 13 L 4
    BR - £69.32

So I will begin my next session at the £3.30s. If (touch wood) I don't have to move back down, then this is the final jump in rake terms. Rake now 10%, win-rate required 55%. Off to the pub now, should be back on tomorrow night...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Won 1 and lost 2 since last post

this was level 8 and still 6 of us left , which seems to happening more , but can give me your opinion on this one JC . teh guy who raised had limped a cpl of times and min raised a cpl of times

Should i have waited for a better spot?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    MP33 Small blind  200.00 200.00 1455.00
    shammy161 Big blind  400.00 600.00 282.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

Doubleblow Fold     
    jimbhoy007 Fold     
    Lambert180 Fold     
    warren_m Raise  800.00 1400.00 2650.00
    MP33 All-in  1455.00 2855.00 0.00
    shammy161 All-in  282.50 3137.50 0.00
    warren_m Call  855.00 3992.50 1795.00
    MP33 Show
    • Q
    • J

shammy161 Show

warren_m Show

Flop

• A
    • K

Turn

River

shammy161 Win Straight to the 5 2047.50  2047.50
    warren_m Win Pair of 7s 1945.00  3740.00
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I was in this game as you can see :)

I think you can probably hang on, in this case you happened to be flipping which is alot better than it could have been. I know you're really short but everyone was in the same boat, and sometimes you just gotta get a blind steal in once per orbit to keep your head above water while they knock each other out and in this situation you had zero fold equity. So at best you're flipping.

Not that it's a comfort to you but I managed to cash by the way lol, made a losing session slightly better than it was.