You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    cleaverjimcleaverjim Member Posts: 1,070
    edited February 2014
    I read your blog yesterday and was gripped buy it,So decided to try DYM for myself,So far played five £5.50 DYM won 4 so far so good ,One more win and i will move up another level to £10.00+1 .
  • Options
    kb245kb245 Member Posts: 435
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    Brilliant stuff John and excellent read. I didnt know you had done this work so ive been video's of myself and letting people watch me also commenting. (Lambert180 pointed me here) http://www.youtube.com/user/cocklaw If you have to time to take a look any comments would be appreciated. As to the negatives about this thread ICM and so on, Am with DDooohh. You can make decent progress with these games you dont have to be a master and you can control your bankroll much easier in this format. Can also just add, you dont have to play poker for profits, I mean we are all trying to win bout it a game/sport. Theres fun involved here, its great to join in anytime swim around get wet, splash around, get dunked once in awhile. If Poker was no fun then nobody would play, theres more to this game than MATH. Regards K
    Posted by kocklaw
    enjoyed your videos. i guess pocket kings is not your favourite now!agree with you about the rebuy tourny,s.will you be makin more ?? i could sit and watch these all day.
  • Options
    kocklawkocklaw Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : enjoyed your videos. i guess pocket kings is not your favourite now!agree with you about the rebuy tourny,s.will you be makin more ?? i could sit and watch these all day.
    Posted by kb245
    haha yes that was I funny hand, down with the Monarchy!!
    thanx for the comments, I have quite a few to come yes. I hoping to show my play across all formats, and have few more games DYm at the higher levels.
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,554
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : haha yes that was I funny hand, down with the Monarchy!! thanx for the comments, I have quite a few to come yes. I hoping to show my play across all formats, and have few more games DYm at the higher levels.
    Posted by kocklaw
    Good to hear!! Really enjoy them. Oh how I laughed at your "re-buy" moment!!  Nearly as good as my "Why have I got 4 cards?? Oh no It's omaha!!"  

pad
  • Options
    kb245kb245 Member Posts: 435
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Good to hear!! Really enjoy them. Oh how I laughed at your "re-buy" moment!!  Nearly as good as my "Why have I got 4 cards?? Oh no It's omaha!!"   pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    lol. rebuy ( cry of despair) lol. lol.lol
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    Brilliant stuff John and excellent read. I didnt know you had done this work so ive been video's of myself and letting people watch me also commenting. (Lambert180 pointed me here) http://www.youtube.com/user/cocklaw If you have to time to take a look any comments would be appreciated. As to the negatives about this thread ICM and so on, Am with DDooohh. You can make decent progress with these games you dont have to be a master and you can control your bankroll much easier in this format. Can also just add, you dont have to play poker for profits, I mean we are all trying to win bout it a game/sport. Theres fun involved here, its great to join in anytime swim around get wet, splash around, get dunked once in awhile. If Poker was no fun then nobody would play, theres more to this game than MATH. Regards K
    Posted by kocklaw
    Hi K, thanks very much for the comments. I'm actually aware of your videos/thread and in all honesty it's near the top of my to do list - I love anything like that, I actually watched my first video the other night (£11 one I think) but I was far too tired by that stage to offer any level of comment, apologies. I will get round to that soon though. I started a new job Monday so haven't got loads of time at the minute but it will be soon, I intend to watch them all.

Good luck at the tables mate. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I read your blog yesterday and was gripped buy it,So decided to try DYM for myself,So far played five £5.50 DYM won 4 so far so good ,One more win and i will move up another level to £10.00+1 .
    Posted by cleaverjim
    Wiiiiii, very nice cleaverjim. Best of luck sir, glad you enjoyed the blog.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    Evening JC,

Hope the new jobs going well. I just had a question about your guide, if you're still taking questions....

You said you c-bet virtually 100% of the time, excluding a few occasions that you mention in the guide but how big are you making your c-bets?   1/2 pot?     3/4 pot?

Do you have an opinion on people (there's lots of them) who call your raise OOP and then dont bet the flop, so you've missed you're opportunity to c-bet and you haven't hit with your AK on the 4-7-10 flop, are you just getting rid instantly. Do you think you need notes to know what this means?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just a quick update here, guys. I started a new job Monday, played DTD last night, am tired now, so not much to report on the DYM front, I'm afraid. I played 4 £1.15s last night and W 1 L 3. My BR is now at £31.82.

The most noteworthy thing for this diary (although not directly DYM related) happened Sunday. For anyone who doesn't know, I bubbled the TSP qualifier. I was extremely gutted after this as there is nothing I want more in poker right now than to be in TSP. The other huge disappointment was, as I alluded to in this thread, I went into the tournament feeling pretty good and even quite confident. In fact, the last time I went into a tournament feeling that fresh I came 2nd in a Monday night BH for nearly £600 (still my 2nd biggest cash to date, I think). I just had this feeling all week that it was my time. In that sense I was worried that my chance had gone and I'd missed it.

I'm a big believer, though, that poker is a great revealer of character. So I'm determined to ignore the negatives above and instead focus on the positives. For one, it shows how far my game has come that I felt able to be competitive in that tournament against that field. Looked at this way, I don't think my chance has gone at all, instead I think I'll have another good shot at it next time round. The other huge (bordering on unbelievable!) positive for me was the rail. I was overwhelmed by the number of people wishing me well in the chatbox, it was probably my greatest feeling in poker, to have that support. I'm extremely proud to be part of this fantastic community.

I think I might just be able to get a few £1.15s in now, anyway, before the Omahartigan II event (just went out the 1st in pretty unpleasant fashion lol)...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah one of the main reasons I've started my DYM grind is because I know I'll be able to get myself in the top 30 STT players and have a chance of being in TSP. I'd be so proud of myself if I got in.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Evening JC, Hope the new jobs going well. I just had a question about your guide, if you're still taking questions.... You said you c-bet virtually 100% of the time, excluding a few occasions that you mention in the guide but how big are you making your c-bets?   1/2 pot?     3/4 pot? Do you have an opinion on people (there's lots of them) who call your raise OOP and then dont bet the flop, so you've missed you're opportunity to c-bet and you haven't hit with your AK on the 4-7-10 flop, are you just getting rid instantly. Do you think you need notes to know what this means?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Good evening Lambert. Of course I'm still happy to answer questions, while ever anyone is interested I am.

My c-bets are usually half-pot, 3/4 pot, or some odd number in-between, depending on the pot size. Generally the board texture is the most important thing. On a really dry K-7-2 rainbow flop, it's usually safe enough against a decent player to just bet half whether you hit or miss. If you've gone for a steal with JQ, say, your going to be done with the hand if any sized c-bet you make meets any resistance. On a wetter board, I go more like 3/4 when I hit to protect. So I go 3/4 when I miss to give the impression I'm protecting a made hand. Against a really loose, poor player I will not worry as much about being consistent and will just bet 3/4 more often when I hit for value and 1/2 pot more when I miss, to minimise losses on these hands.

Regarding the highlighted part, I'm a little lost I'm afraid. I suspect you mean donk bet the flop rather than don't? Or else you mean they're in position when they call, not OOP? If you do mean they donk bet out, then yeah, it's pretty much solely dependant on notes. Without notes, I will usually treat a strong donk bet as strong and a weak one as weak. With a weak one, I will usually raise here, provided stack sizes allow me to.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Good to hear!! Really enjoy them. Oh how I laughed at your "re-buy" moment!!  Nearly as good as my "Why have I got 4 cards?? Oh no It's omaha!!"   pad
    Posted by Glenelg
    I laughed so much at this comment, I bet everybody has done it too easy.
    I then felt like a nerd as I explained my laughter to my girl, to which she silently turned her head back to the tele to continue watchin her recorded X-factor......well i thought it was funny
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi K, thanks very much for the comments. I'm actually aware of your videos/thread and in all honesty it's near the top of my to do list - I love anything like that, I actually watched my first video the other night (£11 one I think) but I was far too tired by that stage to offer any level of comment, apologies. I will get round to that soon though. I started a new job Monday so haven't got loads of time at the minute but it will be soon, I intend to watch them all. Good luck at the tables mate. 
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Excellent John, no probs mate i await your verdict/comments..lol. I hope we pass each other on the tables to sometime that would be a pleasure.
    Once again top blog
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'll be honest, I'd rather not bump into you JC if it's all the same lol, it's just one less slot in the final 3 that's easy to get hold of.
  • Options
    MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,239
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : I laughed so much at this comment, I bet everybody has done it too easy. I then felt like a nerd as I explained my laughter to my girl, to which she silently turned her head back to the tele to continue watchin her recorded X-factor......well i thought it was funny
    Posted by kocklaw

I,ve watched abit of your video

have you any advice on how to record to someone who is not a tekkie at all?

Cheers

MP
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I was gonna ask you the same thing actually. I'd imagine you'd need some kind of editing software though cos you don't show the entire DYM from start to finish so it might be out of my ability/software.

Check out my DYM thread MP33!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just going to do a quick update before bed as I'll be offline all day tomorrow, going to a sportsmans' dinner with John Parrot straight from work.

Played 6 £1.15s tonight W 2 L 4
    BR - £28.92

Not going anywhere right now and I've decided to scrap the short sessions. They're especially bad when multi-tabling with other disciplines as I have in the last couple of sessions. So I will be focusing on fewer, but bigger, DYM sessions. This will be quite hard over the coming week nights as UKOPS is so good I want to be in as many events as possible. But I will find time, I need to get progressing with this.

Mixed night tonight as well. Went out of Omahartigan II event 1 badly and the same with the £12 UKOPs satellite which tilted me quite a bit. Outlasted half the field in event 2 of Omahartigan, though, to get 4 points lol. The saving grace of tonight was the £1.10 UKOPs event 2 (Omaha) Direct which I managed to succeed in. No idea (genuinely) how I did this, just luckboxed my way through I think as I know very little about Omaha strategy over and above the actual rules. Just need to save up £110 for a rebuy and an add-on now lol.

Run good everyone until next time...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just going to do a quick update before bed as I'll be offline all day tomorrow, going to a sportsmans' dinner with John Parrot straight from work. Played 6 £1.15s tonight W 2 L 4 BR - £28.92 Not going anywhere right now and I've decided to scrap the short sessions. They're especially bad when multi-tabling with other disciplines as I have in the last couple of sessions. So I will be focusing on fewer, but bigger, DYM sessions. Posted by JohnConnor
    Looking forward to the blog on these! Hope job is going well? JP is gr8 after dinner speaker !
    Was GUTTED for ya on TSP!
    BTW Was on a £1:15 DYM table over the weekend where a well known cash player was playing who said " Jeez, these low stakes DYM's must be the tightest games on SKY!"  Oh how I laughed!  They went out 5th!
    I gave Omaha a go tonite as well tonite - nuff said!

@ Kocklaw - I'm starting to think you're gonna be the "Shawshank Redemption" of the poker world! (I'll prob have to explain this?) Keep up the good work!

pad
  • Options
    Poker_FailPoker_Fail Member Posts: 1,755
    edited February 2014
    Been jumping around the low levels recently, just trying to get a decent winning streak, on 11 in a row so far (My PB is 18 so would like to beat that)

Current BR ~£325

Gutted you missed out on the TSP JC, you would have been an amazing addition.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Been jumping around the low levels recently, just trying to get a decent winning streak, on 11 in a row so far (My PB is 18 so would like to beat that) Current BR ~£325 Gutted you missed out on the TSP JC, you would have been an amazing addition.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    WOW! Thats pretty good!