You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    Question JC... May have been answered in this thread elsewhere, even though I've read it, i've already forgotten bits lol How many tables can you properly play at once, and what size monitor do you have? I can just about manage 3 cash at the moment, but can't fit anymore than 4 anyway because I have a standard laptop. Thanks and keep up the good form...
    Posted by MISTER_B
    Hi Mister_B, thanks for your kind words above sir. I am currently playing around 6 tables at a time, my own limit is probably 8-9 but my monitor fits 12. It's a Hanns G 28" monitor, one of the best things I ever bought.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Wow the challenge has come a long way very quickly now! how many C4Ps do you expect thic month ?
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Hi PF, 6,000 points is my target for this month which looks about right as a target just at the moment as I'm currently just north of 2,000.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Promise this is the last question, I won't hijack this thread much more lol, I just want to run some HH past you all first, I've played 5 £3.30 today and won 4, using JC's guide, I'm more used to playing cash so this is taking a bit of getting used to!!! Quite a few HH here, but I won't become an annoying person who constantly posts them, I promise. It's my first full day playing DYM's and I just want to check with you experts that I'm on the right path! So away we go... I guess you would always shove here, but the fact their was a tight raiser early, what do you think? Yes I got lucky lol Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance MISTER_B Small blind   75.00 75.00 1870.00 Enigma10 Big blind   150.00 225.00 3515.00   Your hole cards Q Q       playcards Fold         xxxx Raise   300.00 525.00 1190.00 SCHOF78 Fold         MISTER_B All-in   1870.00 2395.00 0.00 Enigma10 Fold         xxxx All-in   1190.00 3585.00 0.00 MISTER_B Unmatched bet   455.00 3130.00 455.00 MISTER_B Show Q Q       xxxx Show A A       Flop     7 4 3       Turn     K       River     Q       MISTER_B Win Three Queens 3130.00   3585.00 Right, I'm kicking myself about this, great hand to start but should have folded post flop raise, look at the straight potential, would you have played any differently pre? My 1 loss of the day, and in my eyes could definatly have been avoidable!!! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance MISTER_B Small blind   25.00 25.00 3120.00 Dudeskin8 Big blind   50.00 75.00 1415.00   Your hole cards K A       lockett12 Fold         dazkirk Fold         xxxx Call   50.00 125.00 1360.00 MISTER_B Raise   225.00 350.00 2895.00 Dudeskin8 Fold         xxxx Call   200.00 550.00 1160.00 Flop     8 9 Q       MISTER_B Bet   275.00 825.00 2620.00 xxxx All-in   1160.00 1985.00 0.00 MISTER_B Call   885.00 2870.00 1735.00 MISTER_B Show K A       xxxx Show K Q       Turn     5       River     K       xxxx Win Two Pairs, Kings and Queens 2870.00   2870.00 Do you agree with this play at these levels? I thought I was gambling too much.. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance MISTER_B Small blind   150.00 150.00 2025.00 AJaX99 Big blind   300.00 450.00 3650.00   Your hole cards A 10       pokergirlz Fold         xxxx All-in   1210.00 1660.00 0.00 Flossy25 Fold         MISTER_B Call   1060.00 2720.00 965.00 AJaX99 Fold         MISTER_B Show A 10       xxxx Show 6 7       Flop     3 5 J       Turn     J       River     10       MISTER_B Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s 2720.00   3685.00 Another one, am I gambling too much, or would you play this hand like this? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance MISTER_B Small blind   75.00 75.00 2065.00 AJaX99 Big blind   150.00 225.00 2425.00   Your hole cards Q K       pokergirlz Fold         xxxx Fold         Flossy25 Fold         xxxx Call   150.00 375.00 1085.00 MISTER_B Raise   675.00 1050.00 1390.00 AJaX99 Fold         xxxx Call   600.00 1650.00 485.00 Flop     3 7 10       MISTER_B All-in   1390.00 3040.00 0.00 xxxx All-in   485.00 3525.00 0.00 MISTER_B Unmatched bet   905.00 2620.00 905.00 MISTER_B Show Q K       xxxx Show 4 8       Turn     9       River     10       MISTER_B Win Pair of 10s 2620.00   3525.00 Right, I hope you can advise whether I'm on the right track with some of my decisions, and thanks for any help guys!
    Posted by MISTER_B
    Hi again Mister_B,

First of all, please feel completely free to post any of your DYM hands/questions/topics in this thread, it's what it's here for.

So to the first hand. I think we're always shoving QQ there with that stack, it would take a very special read not to. Just unlucky, well played.

The second hand becomes awkward on the flop because of the villains stack. I really like your pre-fop raise though and the c-bet on the flop. The only mistake I think in that hand is calling off the shove. I think he has enough chips to make you fold there. You can't be ahead there on that flop.

The A10 is really awkward aswell, mainly due to the shove being 4BBs and only half your stack. I fold here to be honest, but then I am on the tight side. I'm sure there are some extremely competent DYMers on here who would advise you to re-ship all-in. Flat calling isn't really an option to be honest, OK it's clear you're not goin anywhere but just stick the lot in to be sure.

The KQs at the end I would fold. I can see what you're doing with it and I really like the idea in principle (KQs should be crushing if he's limping alot) but I just think he has a few too many chips to make the play in this spot. If he has a few less, I'm absolutely fine with the play.

That's some views from me, hope they help a bit. My own conclusion would be that you're already a very competent DYMer as most of those spots are marginal and only some pretty fine-tuning is needed, in my opinion. You expressed a bit of concern over gambling too much and I would probably say that you are, just a touch. I think the A-10 and KQs hands show this (also the AK but I think that's more of an actual mistake, to be honest). I would just tighten up a little. When I was learning DYMs I spent alot of time thinking about the nature of DYMs (survival) and how some hand ranges play vs each other. Think about the hands you want your opponent to turn over (dominated ones I would say) and how many chips you should really be risking in spots when your opponent could easily be around 40%.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    OK, so 2 sessions to update. The first didn't start too well and I played a few £11s as well as £22s and ended up OK:

Played 10 £22s W 6 L 4
    Played 5 £11s W 4 L 1

Unfortunately, I forgot to note my BR here but it was definately around £515.

Then tonight I had a good night, the games were good and I ran pretty well throughout. Apart from 3 exits being AA vs unpaired undercards in for huge pots that would have left me comfortable. Funny how these things work, as I say I ran pretty well overall:

Played 25 £22s W 15 L 10
    Bankroll - £565.02
    Poker points - 2,370

Obviously happy at the moment as the BR is at it's highest point again, which is always nice. I might not be on at all tomorrow so run well everyone who is.
  • Options
    MISTER_BMISTER_B Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2014
    Thanks JC, possibly the most informative and detailed analysis to a hand I've posted, I will definatly take your advice on board, thanks again for taking the time.

I did OK in a tourney yesterday, so have today moved to the £5.50 DYMs, I might also add my end of day stats to this thread like yourself JC, as long as you don't mind? I figure this would help motivate me, my br currently stands at  £147.50, with the help of this thread, I hope to turn a nice profit, but only time will tell haha.

I play quite a few DYMs in a morning, but struggle to find liquidity, I can only play 1 table at a time, because hardly anyones playing, do you find that, or do you sometimes mix up the buyin levels so you can always multi table?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Not a good day...

£5.50 DYM
    W - 2
    L - 6

Lost 5 in a row, all on the bubble I think, and all coolers. Depressing.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Right, been at it again, got a bit of money back but still down overall, won my last 3 so feel a bit better. I was due to have a bit of varience what with the run of luck I've had recently in touneys etc...

DYM £5.50
    W - 5
    L - 7
    Total -£16
    Total for the week -£8.50
    Total Poker Points - 260

Try again tomorrow folks.
  • Options
    -Typhoon--Typhoon- Member Posts: 288
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi Typhoon, I am back to playing the £3.30s now, I can't get my PM to work for some reason.  But would love a copy of your spreadsheet.  Could you try to PM me with your email address then I can send you an email? Stretch
    Posted by stretch83
    Hi mate

PM's not working, give me a shout on, "only1typhoon@gmail.com"
    I'll send you a copy

• Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Hi mate PM's not working, give me a shout on, "only1typhoon@gmail.com" I'll send you a copy
    Posted by -Typhoon-
    Thanks for my copy Typhoon, absolutely just what I wanted, works great!
  • Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2014
    hi jc.i came across your abc of dym,s three weeks ago whilst browsing and i was instantly hooked.although it was quite late at night,just finished 4nl cash session.i knew instantly this was going to be the path i,d be taking.     the next day i read it again and making notes to refer to,i was ready to play!  i played 2x30p to get the ball rolling,won 40p.then played 15x60p,w7 l8,lost £2.00.next day moved up to £1.15 won 4,+£3.40.   so far so good,moved up to £2.25 level,now playing 6 tables.still winning most sessions,9 from 10 one night +£13.50. only had 2or 3 losing sessions,the worst being -£5.00.so including nov c4p £15 i am in total up £81    so,i just wanted to say to you "thank you very much,i really mean it,because if you hadn,t taken the time and effort in writing the post,i would still be struggeling i,m sure on the 4nl cash tables."my b/roll is currently standing at £291.62,(i,ve withdrawn £300)so total profit since starting summer 2010....£591.62.thanks again jc,you never know,one day the apprentise could be taking on the master!he he...lol.....i,ll keep you posted,if that,s ok!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    OK, another resonable day, here are the stats...

DYM £5.50
    W - 8
    L - 4
    Total £14
    Total Poker Points - 320

Lost a few on the bubble, but hey ho, at least I'm in profit !!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks JC, possibly the most informative and detailed analysis to a hand I've posted, I will definatly take your advice on board, thanks again for taking the time. I did OK in a tourney yesterday, so have today moved to the £5.50 DYMs, I might also add my end of day stats to this thread like yourself JC, as long as you don't mind? I figure this would help motivate me, my br currently stands at  £147.50, with the help of this thread, I hope to turn a nice profit, but only time will tell haha. I play quite a few DYMs in a morning, but struggle to find liquidity, I can only play 1 table at a time, because hardly anyones playing, do you find that, or do you sometimes mix up the buyin levels so you can always multi table?
    Posted by MISTER_B
    Hi Mister_B, hope you're enjoying the DYMs still, thanks for the updates please keep them coming sir. Just in regards to your question, it depends. If it's like a 10-15 minute wait I would probably lean more towards just waiting as I don't want to drop down a level where I have to play 2 games for the same price/points etc. But if it's really hard to get a game which I suspect you mean it is, I would definately load up some lower stakes games to get more in. I like to have the poker points ticking over as much as possible. Like if I was you, now, in the £5.50s i would definately be happy to throw in some £3.30s if I had to, I would even go in the £2.25s if need be as they're pretty soft but the rake is of course a touch higher.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hi jc.i came across your abc of dym,s three weeks ago whilst browsing and i was instantly hooked.although it was quite late at night,just finished 4nl cash session.i knew instantly this was going to be the path i,d be taking.     the next day i read it again and making notes to refer to,i was ready to play!  i played 2x30p to get the ball rolling,won 40p.then played 15x60p,w7 l8,lost £2.00.next day moved up to £1.15 won 4,+£3.40.   so far so good,moved up to £2.25 level,now playing 6 tables.still winning most sessions,9 from 10 one night +£13.50. only had 2or 3 losing sessions,the worst being -£5.00.so including nov c4p £15 i am in total up £81    so,i just wanted to say to you "thank you very much,i really mean it,because if you hadn,t taken the time and effort in writing the post,i would still be struggeling i,m sure on the 4nl cash tables."my b/roll is currently standing at £291.62,(i,ve withdrawn £300)so total profit since starting summer 2010....£591.62.thanks again jc,you never know,one day the apprentise could be taking on the master!he he...lol.....i,ll keep you posted,if that,s ok!
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi devonfish, thanks very much for this post, posts like this really make it feel worth while writing the blog. I'm happy to see you're making such good progress and would look forward to meeting you on the tables in the future. Yes please to keeping us posted, will look forward to it!
  • Options
    simonnatursimonnatur Member Posts: 330
    edited February 2014

Running bad at moment - cant win a flip/get lucky.

£10 dym sng We are four handed, the short stack starts hand with 1445 and posts  bb 200 - other stacks approx 2-3k.  

I pick up 55 utg and shove for 2025  - action folds round to bb who calls with AJs  (and makes aces up of course)
  • Options
    simonnatursimonnatur Member Posts: 330
    edited February 2014

To help my assessment of bubble situations. 

- You are 4 handed in a 6 player dym sng and are first to act utg and remaining players are roughly equal in chips

- You believe they will call a shove with  99+  AQs  AK ( top 4.2% of range )  

Is it correct to say there is 3 x 4.2%   or   12.6% chance one of remaining players will hold a hand they can call with?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Absolutely awfull day today, played 19...
    w - 8
    l - 11
    Poker points - 420

Not good at all, seemed to be a massive run of bad luck, in half of the games I lost, I was on the bubble shoving with the best hand, really frustrating day!!!
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Assistance please for the mathematically challenged!:
    Absolutely awfull day today, played 19... w - 8 l - 11 Poker points - 420 Not good at all, seemed to be a massive run of bad luck, in half of the games I lost, I was on the bubble shoving with the best hand, really frustrating day!!!
    Posted by MISTER_B
    Had the same recently aswell, tough game when it goes like this.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    quick up date.lost £4.25 wed afternoon playing £2.25. started fresh again at 7.30pm,thought i,d give £3.30 a go 4 the 1st time.started badly 7-3 down picked myself&my game up loaded up a £1.15 & £2.25 along the way by mistake,in the end £10.40 up...hoooray.a big nite,proved to myself i.m ready 4 the nxt level,fingers crossed!balance now £298.22.
  • Options
    martin111martin111 Member Posts: 274
    edited February 2014
    what u do when u have a bad run?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    not sure if that question is for me or jc.as my post was the last posted i.ll answer anyway.haven,t hit a bad run since i started playing dym,s nearly a month ago,but have had them playing cash.what i did was take a few days off to start with then funnily enough i played some 30p&60p dym,s just for a change from cash.it seemed to do the trick but i do know those bad runs can go on for what seems like forever,but they do end eventually. ..i just tried making poker fun again and not all about the money,after all if it,s not fun then why are we all here night after night?winning money is obviously what we are all aiming for but i still think it doesn,t hurt to get those bad runs occasionally,it let,s you know firstly you are human and you can lose just like everybody else,secondly it tests your character on how you deal with it.do you just give in to it or do you find a way to work through it and come out the other side.any way, hope that may be of some use martin 111......are you on a bad run yourself at the moment?   or was it simply a question!