You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    Hi John, great read but i have i question. It relates to making it into the money, i have just bubbled when i called an all in, my AK suited against A4 suited, runner runner and i loose to a flush. My question is this, should you fold here and look for a better spot as all stacks were relatively the same or was it the right call and thats just poker and you gotta make your move at some point? It would be great to here your opinion Mike
    Posted by GEE_BURT
    Hi Mike, really sorry I haven't replied sooner. It's a tough question without the actual stack sizes, blinds etc but AK is a huge hand and I think you probably just got really unlucky. Please post hands in the clinic or in this thread as I'm sure you will get lots of really helpful replies from the guys on here.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    bad nite won 21 lost 24 lost £22.50 not the end of the world though. knew it was only a matter of time! balance £335.12 still £117 up since starting dym,s so no worries back tomorrow know doubt nite
    Posted by devonfish5
    Really impressive progress there mate, some excellent volume as well. Nice that you can take the knock backs too, reminds me a bit of myself, I always came back to the DYMs in the morning no matter how they had treated me the day/night before :-s
  • Options
    devonfish5devonfish5 Member Posts: 4,291
    edited February 2014
    thanks jc.
    i thank you.
    the way i see it is you are happy enough taking the money
    when you win,
    so i just except it when i lose,
    you are only giving back some of what you,ve won anyway.

as long as the plusses
    are bigger than the minuses overall,
    you,ve haven,t really got much to moan about,have you!

thanks again jc
    and good luck yourself for 2012

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Think I best update today's play before I go to bed so I don't forget. I'm pretty tired so hope it makes sense.

I think today's session has been the most draining of all the lot so far on this challenge. I played a few this morning and ran really horribly so stopped early for lunch. In the afternoon I clawed things back a bit but was still down for the day. I was pleased, though, after the morning session where I couldn't win a hand it seemed. Then this evening I came on to play and watch the live show and it started really well and looked like it could be a really profitable day. Then from nowhere I think I lost ~9 games in a row and felt myself getting tired and a bit tilty. That was about 10pm and I really wasn't sure whether playing anymore tonight would be a good idea. I decided that I was still playing well enough though, Thursday is a good night and I was enjoying the live show, so I made a quick drink and decided to play one more lot of 6 games. I managed to win 5 of these and end the day £5.50 down. I'm absolutely delighted with this, to be honest, as I haven't had a day as testing as this for a good while now, since before this challenge I would say. If I had forgotten, today has definately reminded me how swingy DYMs are once you move up a couple of levels.

These are the stats I have recorded for the day and I've certainly made a couple of mistakes here as I think these add up to a small profit when I am definately down £5.50:

Played 17 £11s W 9 L 8
    Played 7 £16.50s W 4 L 3
    Played 16 £22s W 9 L 7
    Bankroll - £563.02
    Poker Points 3370

So as I said I'm delighted with that small loss. Also really happy with 605 poker points for the day as it's been a while since I put any decent session in and I still had loads of time off this afternoon. I will be aiming for 4,000 poker points, which I should easily manage if I can get on tomorrow night and Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours each. A top 30 in the STT league looks a little unlikely still, but we will see.

Thanks for reading what's probably been a long and fairly boring post. Sorry if it has, but it has been the hardest day yet and it only felt right to document it rather than leave off and forget it. As ever, hope you run well everyone!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    just read your post jc,
    off to bed myself shortly.

i had to have tonight off as feeling tired

yes,some sessions can realy drain you can,t they,
    especially once you get down a few and you really are grinding
    just to try and get somewhere near level!

at least you,ve got the thought that your c4p,s are giving you something back.

keep up the good work

devon
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Another depressing night to say the least, this time with no happy ending really. Don't think I'm running that well at the moment so hopefully things will pick up soon. Still need 400 or so points tomorrow before I go out for the night so that could be a bad session if it gets off to a bad start. I won't know whether to continue for 4k points or just give up for this month. Hopefully I'll hit the ground running though instead :-)

Played 8 £16.50s W 4 L 4
    Played 7 £22s W 2 L 5  :-(
    Bankroll - £477.02
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    never mind jc
    c4p on the way.

a little better 4 me 2nite

won 26  lost 20

won £4.20

balance £339.32
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    never mind jc c4p on the way. a little better 4 me 2nite won 26  lost 20 won £4.20 balance £339.32
    Posted by devonfish5
    Nice one devon, onwards and upwards. Another horrible, horrible day on the tables for me. The less said the better to be honest, lost quite a few ~90% hands and feeling quite tilted. On the other hand, I kind of don't mind because that was just about as bad as it gets in one session and still ended up only a few buy-ins down. Would make a small fortune if every day played like today, lol. In the end I scraped over the 4,000 point mark and ran from the tables as quickly as I could. Looking forward to a fresh start in the new year, albeit with a diminshed bankroll thanks to this last couple of sessions. Lost track of my stats for today as spent alot of it looking for things to kick lol.

Bankroll - £422.52
    Poker points - 4,025
    Missed out on the top 30 in the STT league by around 100pts I reckon, a lesson there for the next quarter!

Anyway, happy new year everyone, run well at the tables in 2012!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hi jc

it,s not a straight run to the finish line is it?
    oh,the joys of poker.

just a thought,what do you think about droping a level
    when the going gets tough?
    even if it,s just for a session or two
    until it passes and you,re back on that winning road again!

anyway,happy new year everyone

see you in 2012

devon
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hi jc it,s not a straight run to the finish line is it? oh,the joys of poker.   just a thought,what do you think about droping a level when the going gets tough? even if it,s just for a session or two until it passes and you,re back on that winning road again! anyway,happy new year everyone see you in 2012 devon
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi devon, thanks mate. I have no problems at all dropping down a level or two when the going gets tough. I'll be dropping down from the £22s for a little while as I have slipped below 20 buy-ins now. Hopefully it won't be for too long but it will be for as long as it takes.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    hi jc

i don,t really get the moving up a level
    when a player hits the 22 buy-in

well obviously i do,because you do it
    and others have copied you.

surely isn,t it better to play at your b/roll level
    (in my case;b/roll £350, so playing at £3.30
    for each game i lose,that is 1.1% of my roll

which is comfortable when i do get that bad session
    as i did the other day,losing £22.50, pluss £4.50
    earlier in the day,
    a loss of 8% to my b/roll

surely,if i had the 22buy-ins  @ £3.30 (£72.60)
    lost my 2 shots @ £5.50 (£11)
    now  holding £61.60
    (still with me?)
    then say i lose i don,t know
    another 3 games say @ £3.30 (£9.90)
    i am now down to £51.70

so  i,ve lost approx 2/7ths of my b/roll
    £20.90

surely ,that,s got to hurt?
    i know it would me!

and to be honest it could get even worse
    even i might go "on tilt" for a while
    (which i should add,hasn,t happened for a very long time
    well over a year ago....i didn,t like it, and vowed it would never happen again,
    touch wood!)

anyway,to summarise,
    isn,t my way a better way,if not the safer way,
    to tackle this DYM challenge,
    or am i just "an old geezer(52 by the way),or am i simply out of touch
    with the way the game is being approached,these days?

look forward to hearing your thoughts

cheers

devon

• Options
    edited February 2014
    hi jc i don,t really get the moving up a level when a player hits the 22 buy-in well obviously i do,because you do it and others have copied you. surely isn,t it better to play at your b/roll level (in my case;b/roll £350, so playing at £3.30 for each game i lose,that is 1.1% of my roll which is comfortable when i do get that bad session as i did the other day,losing £22.50, pluss £4.50 earlier in the day, a loss of 8% to my b/roll surely,if i had the 22buy-ins  @ £3.30 (£72.60) lost my 2 shots @ £5.50 (£11) now  holding £61.60 (still with me?) then say i lose i don,t know another 3 games say @ £3.30 (£9.90) i am now down to £51.70 so  i,ve lost approx 2/7ths of my b/roll £20.90 surely ,that,s got to hurt? i know it would me! and to be honest it could get even worse even i might go "on tilt" for a while (which i should add,hasn,t happened for a very long time well over a year ago....i didn,t like it, and vowed it would never happen again, touch wood!) anyway,to summarise, isn,t my way a better way,if not the safer way, to tackle this DYM challenge, or am i just "an old geezer(52 by the way),or am i simply out of touch with the way the game is being approached,these days? look forward to hearing your thoughts cheers devon
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hi devon, in a nutshell, yes it is. It's risk and reward. Risk obviously is about losing large parts of your bankroll, as you mention. Reward, in this context, is about being able to progress through the levels as quickly as possible. I find that 22 is fine for fairly low stakes DYMs. It is quite aggressive though and that's the main reason I am using it for this challenge. If I was playing DYMs professionally, or even just seriously, I would prefer to be around the 100 buy-in mark. For example, when this challenge ends (hopefully successfully) I want to play semi-seriously again. So even though I will be playing £33s at the time of it ending, I will probably move down to £22s and employ more stringent bankroll management going forward.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    thanks jc

that,s what i wanted to hear.

thought i was correct in my thinking
    but it,s nice to have it confirmed,
    thanks mate

keep going for it
    i know you will do it!

i,ll keep on chasing you
    even if it is very slooooowly!

thanks

devon
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Another losing session yesterday, but pretty happy with the way I played to be honest:

Played 25 £11s W 15 L 10
    Played 3 £16.50s L 3
    Bankroll - £387.02
    Poker points - 305

Should get a few in today, currently in the £11s with the odd £16.50..
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    "December targets:

Originally my targets were going to be to move up to £22s and earn 4,000 Poker Points but as I have only just gotten around to setting them, I obviously need to adjust these as I will be starting £22s tomorrow anyway. So my targets will be:

Move upto £33 DYMs (so increase bankroll to at least £660)
    Earn 6,000 poker points

I think these targets could be quite difficult to meet, particularly if I need to drop straight back down to £11s and £16.50s. Then again, with a bit of run good they may be quite easily achieved, we will have to see, obviously hoping for the latter."

Ok, so December appears to have ended up as a bit of an epic fail, targets wise :-(. I'm not too disheartened, though, it was going well enough for the most part and then just hit a bit of run bad right at the end. The only really disappointing factor was my volume over Christmas and missing out on the TSP qualifier. Who doesn't like to enjoy Christmas though?

January will be another difficult one to set for targets for as it will depend a bit on how I set off. Should get a fair bit of volume in though (apart from going away for the last week) so will be quite ambitious and set myself the same targets as I did last month:

6,000 Poker Points
    Move up to £33s

Good luck everyone with your own January targets!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Need to take a lunck break now and feel pretty shocking to be honest. It's no fun watching my bankroll diminish every session just at the minute. I think it's probably fair to say that I'm suffering from a bit of what Jared Tendler calls "injustice tilt" whereby I just can't believe I'm getting 'my fair share of luck'. Of course I am doing in the long run, just as everybody does.

Think a couple of pretty poor mistakes slipped into my game this morning. Twice I stacked off when I hit top pair on a sb vs bb steal gone wrong. Ordinarily I would be fine with this, as I say in the blog tpgk is a strong hand in a stealing position, even more so blind on blind. But on both these occassions my opponents gave me the information I needed to get off the hand, in the form of horrible click raises to my c-bets (one with 2 pair and one with top set). I say horrible, but that's probably more to do with my play being horrible in subsequently stacking. At the end of the day, their play worked great and did for me comfortably. These 2 hands (luckily for me within moments of each other) prompted me to break for lunch.

Anyway, just off for a quick pizza. I'm sure I'll be back pretty soon as the tables look really good so far today.

Bankroll after this morning - £352.52
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    How quickly this game changes, eh? Ran like a poker god tonight for the most part, hitting absolutely everything.

Played 41 £11s W 27 L 14
    Played 9 £16.50s W 8 L 1
    Bankroll - £544.52
    Poker Points - 880

Almost a £200 swing since lunch in £11 and £16.50 DYMs, wtf? Anyway, will be having another crack at those troublesome (so far) £22s tomorrow night I think. Hope some others ran as well as me tonight.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    well done jc
    you deserve it after all your hard work.

as you say,"how quickly the game changes"!

it just shows how if a session runs well for you
    you really can make some good money,
    as you have just shown.
    and the really great thing about it is;
    at no time are you ever risking losing your whole winnings
    on one hand,as you are when playing cash,
    ie;£16.50 is the max you can lose
    at any one time.

brilliant ,aint it!!!!

gl with the £22,s

devon
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks devon! £75 Cash 4 Points paid today, giving me £619.52 going into tonights session. Really hope this is a good one...
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Played a few £22s tonight and wound up around 5 buy-ins down. This is definately proving to be quite a stumbling block for me. The tables were pretty tough on the whole tonight, I thought. A certain Nutter5932 being on every table didn't help. Getting pretty frustrating getting up to this level only to be knocked straight back down. I'm not ready to give up on it yet by any means but I'll be really gutted if I lose another 5 buyins next session next and have to drop down to £11s again, lol. Anyway, stats:

Played 15 £22s W 6 L 9
    Played 1 £16.50 L 1
    Bankroll - £513.02
    Poker Points - 1195