You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR

Comments

• Options
    Poker_FailPoker_Fail Member Posts: 1,755
    edited February 2014
    9 wins 1 loss so far in the £5.50 run, the 1 loss was me coming back from my computer crashing, having lost 400ish chips and flopping 2 pair to the enemy's flopped straight, had I not lost a reasonable chunk of my stack i might not have been as committed to the hand... however i probably would have anyway

Also played a 5.50 turbo and won so current BR: £279.16 and expecting some bad luck to ruin that soon lol

Had a fiddle with Sharkscope and found out I have very good profits in the games I have played against good regs which was nice to seel, although some of those could have been positive variance as only small samples.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited February 2014
    Very nice PF, I wish I could win 9/10 lol. Don't worry about the bad luck mate, just keep riding the good. I've ran like an absolute god for a good couple of months in the past, ask 1267 ;-)

Anyway my own day has been fairly uneventful, started really well and even had the £45 in my sights but the session didn't end as well as it started unfortunately.

Played 23 £1.15s W 13 L 10
    BR - £35.77
    Poker points - 298

Off to the pub tonight. Will look forward to a good grind tomorrow, Thursday is a great day what with the live show and it been the start of the 'poker weekend'.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR:
    Very nice PF, I wish I could win 9/10 lol. Don't worry about the bad luck mate, just keep riding the good. I've ran like an absolute god for a good couple of months in the past, ask 1267 ;-) Anyway my own day has been fairly uneventful, started really well and even had the £45 in my sights but the session didn't end as well as it started unfortunately. Played 23 £1.15s W 13 L 10 BR - £35.77 Poker points - 298 Off to the pub tonight. Will look forward to a good grind tomorrow, Thursday is a great day what with the live show and it been the start of the 'poker weekend'.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    I'm just getting lucky with soft games atm, havn't had to shove often and have only been called twice, I would be very happy if I could win more than 65 out of the 100 games i'm planning to play.

At least when you do reach £45 you'll reach another satisfying rake decrease. : )
  • Options
    lMARKllMARKl Member Posts: 254
    edited February 2014
    Great blog / thread, enjoying the updates. I've returned to DYM's after a go at cash then tilt withdrawing most of my roll.

Started at the beginning of the month with £70 at the £2.25's and am now at £95.50 (416pp) and now playing the £3.30's

Best of luck with your challenge and pls keep updating your thread.

Mark

• Options
    Prop60Prop60 Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014
    Cracking blog JC - a real service to the Skypoker community and hopefully it'll improve my play.

Just played the tightest £2.20 DYM ever. STill all 6 in with similar stacks at L8! Must have all read the blog, lol. Tried to liven it up as it's bedtime and went out in 4th. DOH!

Do you have any tips on multi-tabling? - I always end up getting flustered and make basic mistakes/misclicks and the constant bet-alerts drive me insane!

Good luck with the challenge - looking forward to the next update.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Great blog / thread, enjoying the updates. I've returned to DYM's after a go at cash then tilt withdrawing most of my roll. Started at the beginning of the month with £70 at the £2.25's and am now at £95.50 (416pp) and now playing the £3.30's Best of luck with your challenge and pls keep updating your thread. Mark
    Posted by lMARKl
    Hi Mark, thanks very much, glad you're enjoying the updates. Good luck with your own targets mate, some great progress there, I will follow with interest.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Cracking blog JC - a real service to the Skypoker community and hopefully it'll improve my play. Just played the tightest £2.20 DYM ever. STill all 6 in with similar stacks at L8! Must have all read the blog, lol. Tried to liven it up as it's bedtime and went out in 4th. DOH! Do you have any tips on multi-tabling? - I always end up getting flustered and make basic mistakes/misclicks and the constant bet-alerts drive me insane! Good luck with the challenge - looking forward to the next update.
    Posted by Prop60
    Hi Prop, thanks mate.

I hate those games where there's six left at that stage, lol, can be quite hard to find shoving spots. Unlucky on bubbling that one.

Re the multi-tabling, if you're making mistakes like misclicks it could just be that you're trying too many tables  at the moment or that you just need a little while longer to get used to it. Are you using miniview? I find miniview a lot easier to use when multi-tabling. It takes a little while to get used to at first but it is definately worth switching if you haven't already, imo. Personally, I always line my games up the same way as well. So I load them up from the top left corner of my screen down towards the bottom right. When one ends I drag them all along to fill the vacant spot, so I always have the game that is nearest the end (and therefore most important) at the top left of my screen. If I was in a spot where I was struggling I would know that I could just ignore the games in the bottom right and concentrate on those in the top left.

Another thing you can do, which I have never done personally, but definately has advantages for some people, is to stagger your games. Thats to say, load one or two, wait 15-20 mins, then load one or two more. This means (in theory) that you only have one or two games at the end stage (which require concentration) while the others are right in the early stages and you can just fold away.

Re the sounds, to be honest I would switch those off. I don't use them but on the very rare occassion I've tried them for like 2 minutes, they have driven me insane too. That was one tabling. Multi-tabling with sounds on must be a nightmare, imo.

Good luck at the tables mate.
  • Options
    Prop60Prop60 Member Posts: 147
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR
    Thanks again JC. I'll be trying a gentle multi-table sesh later-with the sound turned off!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just had one of those horrible, horrible sessions. One of those where it seemed that every time a short stack got it in 30/70 or 40/60 they doubled up. Yet every time I got it in 70/30 or 60/40 I busted. That's how it goes, though, sometimes. Were it not for these sessions there would be no online poker. It's pretty easy to tilt during sessions like these but I think I did ok on the tables just now (a swear box would have paid for itself a few times over though, however). Anyway, the upshot (I've never really understood this word - it seems to me to imply positive connotations?!) is that I've gone from having my sights on the £2.25 level to being worrying close to the £0.60 level again. I really don't want to return there as jumping up to £1.15 was a big step forward in the challenge. I guess tonight will have a big influence on this though. It's definitely Thursday with some of the loose all-in calls I've been seeing today. I think tonight will be one of those nights where I either win a lot of money (relatively speaking) or, if my all-in showdowns continue going the way they have been this afternoon, I have to move down a level. Please please, poker gods let it be the former.

Played 19 £1.15s W 6 L 13 (2 of the ones I won were largely aided by a player losing connection on the bubble!)
    BR - £25.92 :-(
  • Options
    jjjachjjjach Member Posts: 3,393
    edited February 2014
    Hi johnconnor great blog.I've recently been trying my hand at £1 and £2 dyms and have played you a few times.I just hope your advice on playing dyms registers in my small brain sooner rather than later.Best of luck in your dyms.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Hi johnconnor great blog.I've recently been trying my hand at £1 and £2 dyms and have played you a few times.I just hope your advice on playing dyms registers in my small brain sooner rather than later.Best of luck in your dyms.
    Posted by jjjach
    Thanks jjjach, best of luck to you too!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Just had one of those horrible, horrible sessions. One of those where it seemed that every time a short stack got it in 30/70 or 40/60 they doubled up. Yet every time I got it in 70/30 or 60/40 I busted. That's how it goes, though, sometimes. Were it not for these sessions there would be no online poker. It's pretty easy to tilt during sessions like these but I think I did ok on the tables just now (a swear box would have paid for itself a few times over though, however). Anyway, the upshot (I've never really understood this word - it seems to me to imply positive connotations?!) is that I've gone from having my sights on the £2.25 level to being worrying close to the £0.60 level again. I really don't want to return there as jumping up to £1.15 was a big step forward in the challenge. I guess tonight will have a big influence on this though. It's definitely Thursday with some of the loose all-in calls I've been seeing today. I think tonight will be one of those nights where I either win a lot of money (relatively speaking) or, if my all-in showdowns continue going the way they have been this afternoon, I have to move down a level. Please please, poker gods let it be the former. Played 19 £1.15s W 6 L 13 (2 of the ones I won were largely aided by a player losing connection on the bubble!) BR - £25.92 :-(
    Posted by JohnConnor
    Ohhh nooooo! extra luck for tonight glglglglgl

Disaster here, lost 5 out of 6 of my last games... 2 of them when underpairs have hit there set : (

10/16 atm

EDIT: just saw yidette's KK fold, very, very nice!
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited February 2014
    Got an example here of the, "its them or me" part of the blog. The other 2 guys in the hand who folded had over 4k chips. If i fold here im left with less than 3bb and i'd be in the small blind next hand, with virtually no hope of cashing.

Luckily, i didn't have the chat on after i binked, i dread to think what was said....... but they are a dym reg and im sure they understand.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance18AND5TIME Small blind  200.00 200.00 1462.50 splashies Big blind  400.00 600.00 1190.00  Your hole cards 3 6    sainthelen Fold     QUICKFEET Fold     18AND5TIME All-in  1462.50 2062.50 0.00 splashies All-in  1190.00 3252.50 0.00 18AND5TIME Unmatched bet  72.50 3180.00 72.50 18AND5TIME Show A K    splashies Show 3 6    Flop  6 2 2    Turn  5    River  2    splashies Win Full House, 2s and 6s 3180.00  3180.00
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Got an example here of the, "its them or me" part of the blog. The other 2 guys in the hand who folded had over 4k chips. If i fold here im left with less than 3bb and i'd be in the small blind next hand, with virtually no hope of cashing. Luckily, i didn't have the chat on after i binked, i dread to think what was said....... but they are a dym reg and im sure they understand. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance 18AND5TIME Small blind   200.00 200.00 1462.50 splashies Big blind   400.00 600.00 1190.00   Your hole cards 3 6       sainthelen Fold         QUICKFEET Fold         18AND5TIME All-in   1462.50 2062.50 0.00 splashies All-in   1190.00 3252.50 0.00 18AND5TIME Unmatched bet   72.50 3180.00 72.50 18AND5TIME Show A K       splashies Show 3 6       Flop     6 2 2       Turn     5       River     2       splashies Win Full House, 2s and 6s 3180.00   3180.00
    Posted by splashies
    Yeah, nice one Splashies, thanks for posting that mate.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Didn't play as much as I hoped last night as went out for a mate's Birthday. Off out tonight too, just having an hour now. Hopefully big session tomorrow then...

Last night:
    Played 6 £1.15s W 5 L 1
    BR - £29.02
  • Options
    splashiessplashies Member Posts: 3,680
    edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: ABC of DYM's, by JOHNCONNOR : Yeah, nice one Splashies, thanks for posting that mate.
    Posted by JohnConnor
    No worries...

Thank you, your blog has reassured me in these spots.

Gl with the challenge!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks splashies.

Played 15 £1.15s W 9 L 6
    BR - £29.77
    Poker points - 388
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited February 2014
    Yeah great blog JC, I didn't even know this was going on until today. I read your guide and didn't bother looking at the rest of the thread lol. But yeah as you already know, I've got a thread going on myself in General Poker Chat. I put a question about DYMs in my thread about always folding when you don't connect with the flop... would be grateful if you could have a look and give me your thoughts

Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Quick update from last night, pretty uneventful:

Played 24 £1.15s W 16 L 8
    BR - £34.42

Hopefully not be playing (m)any DYMs tonight as hoping to have a deep run in the TSP qualifier. Really excited about this and feeling pretty good going into it. Would be nice to run well tonight :-). Start a new job in the morning so tomorrow night might be the next time I am on playing and updating. Run well everyone!
  • Options
    kocklawkocklaw Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2014
    Brilliant stuff John and excellent read. I didnt know you had done this work so ive been video's of myself and letting people watch me also commenting. (Lambert180 pointed me here)

http://www.youtube.com/user/cocklaw

If you have to time to take a look any comments would be appreciated.

As to the negatives about this thread ICM and so on, Am with DDooohh. You can make decent progress with these games you dont have to be a master and you can control your bankroll much easier in this format.

Can also just add, you dont have to play poker for profits, I mean we are all trying to win bout it a game/sport. Theres fun involved here, its great to join in anytime swim around get wet, splash around, get dunked once in awhile. If Poker was no fun then nobody would play, theres more to this game than MATH.

Regards

K