You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited December 2015

When your first table opens today, do this;

1) Go to "OPTIONS" (top left of table)

2) Then you see a drop down menu, go to "DISPLAY"

3) Another drop down menu will appear, go to "TABLE OPTIONS"

4) Select "SHOW HAND DESCRIPTION"

What will then happen, on all your tables forever more, is that your hand value will be shown in the middle of the Table, just below the Community Cards.

Now, in PLO8, of course, it has to show TWO hand descriptions - "High" & "Low".

What will happen is that it shows them one after the other, & changes every 5 seconds or so. To speed that up, just hover your mouse over the hand description, & it immediately changes to the alternate (High or Low).

It's really useful when you are not quite sure. 

It also has the bonus, if you are unclear as to your low, of showing "NONE" when you don't have a low, as often happens when you get counterfeited.

"Counterrfeited" is when you hit low cards you did not want to hit, which can kill your low. 

it can often be the case that we have, say, A-2, & are chasing the low, and an Ace or 2 rivers, & kills our low. 

As a general tip, don't chase lows too hard. In many cases, you are being freerolled, because you can ONLY get your chips back, & might not even do that if the low misses.

In PLO8, the most common errors are over-valuing Low hands, & limping too much. 

Hope that helps.   
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread:
    When your first table opens today, do this; 1) Go to "OPTIONS" (top left of table) 2) Then you see a drop down menu, go to "DISPLAY" 3) Another drop down menu will appear, go to "TABLE OPTIONS" 4) Select "SHOW HAND DESCRIPTION" What will then happen, on all your tables forever more, is that your hand value will be shown in the middle of the Table, just below the Community Cards.   Now, in PLO8, of course, it has to show TWO hand descriptions - "High" & "Low".   What will happen is that it shows them one after the other, & changes every 5 seconds or so. To speed that up, just hover your mouse over the hand description, & it immediately changes to the alternate (High or Low).   It's really useful when you are not quite sure.  It also has the bonus, if you are unclear as to your low, of showing "NONE" when you don't have a low, as often happens when you get counterfeited. "Counterrfeited" is when you hit low cards you did not want to hit, which can kill your low.  it can often be the case that we have, say, A-2, & are chasing the low, and an Ace or 2 rivers, & kills our low.  As a general tip, don't chase lows too hard. In many cases, you are being freerolled, because you can ONLY get your chips back, & might not even do that if the low misses.   In PLO8, the most common errors are over-valuing Low hands, & limping too much.  Hope that helps.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes thanks tikay these filters are on already and they are very helpful but I am still not explaining this very well but I am very guilty of chasing lows try to change that it's a bad leak I have in all my games holdem as well fishing for flushes and straights thanks for the help and advice
  • Options
    67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
    edited December 2015

I think we all have chased lows at some point in our PLO8 history.

As Tikay says, if you have a 5 low, you will win some of the pot, but it might be 1/2, 1/4, 1/6 or even 1/8.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    I think we all have chased lows at some point in our PLO8 history. As Tikay says, if you have a 5 low, you will win some of the pot, but it might be 1/2, 1/4, 1/6 or even 1/8.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Yup, been there, done that, too many times.

The vey first £11 one I played, 4 of us ended up all-in very first hand, 3 of us had the wheel, & some guy had the high, so us wheelers got sixthed.

It's a tough spot sometimes to fold a wheel multiway, as it MIGHT be that the others are all on the high, but it's pretty rare, as most people's hands are weighted towards the low.

I won an £11 last night after doubling first hand when my man got it all in with A-2-6-7.
      On the very first hand, yikes. I just sat out then & coasted to the win. Folded Aces pre 3 times, too, had no need to get involved, as it was always against the other big stack. I did pot it once more with really good aces, & was attacking the Shortie, two to my left. And the Big Stack, sat between us, re-potted it & so Shortie folded. Groan.....

So I folded, & he says "nicking were you?"

What can you say?

Have to say, I ran unbelievably hot last night, won 21 from, 30 & made £57.60. Don't have many nights like that. 

• Options
    edited December 2015

If you could bottle nights like that, you would make a fortune.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    If you could bottle nights like that, you would make a fortune.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Ha, if only.

I think to myself if I could make that every night, it would amount to x per year, & I could play full time, give up work, da de da. I made £30 on Monday, too, proper upswing is - or was - in progress. But then, you know how it is, it smacks us in the face the next night & we do all of it back. And so it goes on, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Guess it's why we love the game so much.

• Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited December 2015

I think what has top be my favourite aspect of this lovely variant is the fact that the 2 most problematic hands are also the 2 you most want to see. And that is AAxx(especially bad aces) and A2xx.
      Unlike in holdem when you know you are 80-90% favourite preflop, here you are never much than 65%. And these 2 hands in particular tend to end 1 of three ways. Losing a big pot, winning a small pot or chopping.

So my advice. With bad aces and A2xx(no decent Hi option) first couple of levels just fold and save your chips. Later on bad aces can grow in value but definitely not at 10/20 or 15/30.

Maybe this is a bit too tight for some but as far as i can see chips not over the line cant be lost
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Came up with a new system a yellow stickit that says use two cards foolproof twice tonight it cost me because I was tilting a wee bit at blowing a big stack chasing an open ended straight flush mind went to mush he he he 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to foolproof:
    Came up with a new system a yellow stickit that says use two cards foolproof twice tonight it cost me because I was tilting a wee bit at blowing a big stack chasing an open ended straight flush mind went to mush he he he 
    Posted by weecheez1
    One more tip for you Mr Wee, after we shared tables tonight - play fewer hands. A LOT less.

Be very selective with starting hands, try to get "balanced" hands (high & low), hands such as A-K-2-3, A-Q-2-3, those sort of hands. Low only hands will cost you money.

Preserve your chips until it gets to 100-200 or 150-300, then when you find a nice balanced hand, pot it - DO NOT LIMP. Limping lets other players freeroll you. By raising, you get better hands to pass, & often take it down without a call.

Where possible, be a raiser not a caller.
  • Options
    SAV4BPSAV4BP Member Posts: 304
    edited December 2015
    gents

i am a winning player on PLO but that game seems to have gone dead on sky at the moment unfortunately. i have tried PLO8 but really seem to be struggling to pick up tactics. any tips? have been forced back to the 2 handed game but although making profit not my favourite game.

btw this is at micro levels

• Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: foolproof:
    In Response to foolproof : One more tip for you Mr Wee, after we shared tables tonight - play fewer hands. A LOT less. Be very selective with starting hands, try to get "balanced" hands (high & low), hands such as A-K-2-3, A-Q-2-3, those sort of hands. Low only hands will cost you money.   Preserve your chips until it gets to 100-200 or 150-300, then when you find a nice balanced hand, pot it - DO NOT LIMP. Limping lets other players freeroll you. By raising, you get better hands to pass, & often take it down without a call. Where possible, be a raiser not a caller.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks tikay I was trying out all the dym tables today to see what if any difference there was and by far the most aggro was the one I shared with you I felt I was pretty quiet I made a major mistake thinking I had a house when I had only used one card that was the second time in two games but I think it will come good in the end all the information you guys give is invaluable and it's definitely a concentration thing with me I blame the meds ha ha
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: foolproof : Thanks tikay I was trying out all the dym tables today to see what if any difference there was and by far the most aggro was the one I shared with you I felt I was pretty quiet I made a major mistake thinking I had a house when I had only used one card that was the second time in two games but I think it will come good in the end all the information you guys give is invaluable and it's definitely a concentration thing with me I blame the meds ha ha
    Posted by weecheez1
    Remember what I said yesterday - use that "Hand Description" thing - it really is useful until you get an instinctive feel for your holding.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
      I think what has top be my favourite aspect of this lovely variant is the fact that the 2 most problematic hands are also the 2 you most want to see. And that is AAxx(especially bad aces) and A2xx.   Unlike in holdem when you know you are 80-90% favourite preflop, here you are never much than 65%. And these 2 hands in particular tend to end 1 of three ways. Losing a big pot, winning a small pot or chopping.  So my advice. With bad aces and A2xx(no decent Hi option) first couple of levels just fold and save your chips. Later on bad aces can grow in value but definitely not at 10/20 or 15/30.  Maybe this is a bit too tight for some but as far as i can see chips not over the line cant be lost
    Posted by Talon
    Amen to all that.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : Ha, if only. I think to myself if I could make that every night, it would amount to x per year, & I could play full time, give up work, da de da. I made £30 on Monday, too, proper upswing is - or was - in progress. But then, you know how it is, it smacks us in the face the next night & we do all of it back. And so it goes on, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.   Guess it's why we love the game so much.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    And bang on cue, I got beaten up good & proper last night, winning just 11 from 30, (my worst ever night, perhaps) & dropping a whopping £37. Lost the first 8 in a row, & 9 of the first 10. Yikes.

Partly my own fault, I had concentration issues with stuff going off on the Forum, mixed with some poor quality decisions & badly timed moves.

Can't take liberties with this game, especially when our perceived edge is so very small.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: foolproof : Thanks tikay I was trying out all the dym tables today to see what if any difference there was and by far the most aggro was the one I shared with you I felt I was pretty quiet I made a major mistake thinking I had a house when I had only used one card that was the second time in two games but I think it will come good in the end all the information you guys give is invaluable and it's definitely a concentration thing with me I blame the meds ha ha
    Posted by weecheez1

Hi mate, if you were on a table with Tikay, that means you were on a £3.30 or above table.  The majority of players playing at that level are very proficient at the game.  I would suggest learning the game a bit more on the microstakes tables might be better in the short term, until you are totally comfortable with the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : And bang on cue, I got beaten up good & proper last night, winning just 11 from 30, (my worst ever night, perhaps) & dropping a whopping £37. Lost the first 8 in a row, & 9 of the first 10. Yikes. Partly my own fault, I had concentration issues with stuff going off on the Forum, mixed with some poor quality decisions & badly timed moves. Can't take liberties with this game, especially when our perceived edge is so very small.
    Posted by Tikay10

An obvious case of collusion if ever I saw one.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: foolproof : Hi mate, if you were on a table with Tikay, that means you were on a £3.30 or above table.  The majority of players playing at that level are very proficient at the game.  I would suggest learning the game a bit more on the microstakes tables might be better in the short term, until you are totally comfortable with the game.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Thanks mate but I was playing with 4 quid I got off the freeroll there were no other games available it can be quite difficult to get a game sometimes I was under no illusions but it's nice to see how the other half live now and then
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited December 2015
    gents i am a winning player on PLO but that game seems to have gone dead on sky at the moment unfortunately. i have tried PLO8 but really seem to be struggling to pick up tactics. any tips? have been forced back to the 2 handed game but although making profit not my favourite game. btw this is at micro levels
    Posted by SAV4BP

Hi SAV

There are lots of good posts on this thread and some HH posted in the sit and go thread.

You will see some differing viewpoints and of course dependant on format (tournaments, DYM's) differing approaches, one theme which changes very little is 'starting hands'.

At the start of this thread TK and others have listed good starting hands which of course can be modified somewhat as your style evolves, but having a solid starting range is essential.

Neil
  • Options
    edited December 2015

A quick tip here, it really applies to any DYM, but this was in a PLO8 affair last night.

I'm not saying I am correct, this is just my view, but I saw a play last night which struck me as terrible.

4 of us left, 2 have around 3,500, the other 2 - including Villain & myself - have about 2,500 each. This is the part of a DYM that really matters, & where we need to avoid mistakes. 

The 2 big stacks are in the Blinds, now Villain, playing 2,500 (same as me) LIMPS. Limps at 200-400, what? That can NEVER be good.

He can be trapping here with the Aces, but even they are not huge jollies, so I don't think that is good play.

Anyway, he limps, & I have.....

A-2-4-J, with a nut suit in hearts.

So I pot it, & I'm pot stuck now, whatever he does. He now FLATS. 

It comes a nice flop, 2 of my nut suit & 2 low. He checks. I put the rest in, & he calls in a heartbeat.

He has A-K-2-3. 

I hit my flush, & no more low cards come, so I (luckily) bust him.

I think his play here is absolutely terrible.

He should pot it pre flop & post flop, every time. 

As I'm a little on the tight side, & prefer to open with worse if need be, rather than face a confrontation, if he pots it pre, before it gets to me, I snap fold.

So he lost a DYM he really should not have.    

• Options
    edited December 2015
    A quick tip here, it really applies to any DYM, but this was in a PLO8 affair last night. I'm not saying I am correct, this is just my view, but I saw a play last night which struck me as terrible.   4 of us left, 2 have around 3,500, the other 2 - including Villain & myself - have about 2,500 each. This is the part of a DYM that really matters, & where we need to avoid mistakes.  The 2 big stacks are in the Blinds, now Villain, playing 2,500 (same as me) LIMPS. Limps at 200-400, what? That can NEVER be good.   He can be trapping here with the Aces, but even they are not huge jollies, so I don't think that is good play.   Anyway, he limps, & I have..... A-2-4-J, with a nut suit in hearts. So I pot it, & I'm pot stuck now, whatever he does. He now FLATS.  It comes a nice flop, 2 of my nut suit & 2 low. He checks. I put the rest in, & he calls in a heartbeat.   He has A-K-2-3.  I hit my flush, & no more low cards come, so I (luckily) bust him.   I think his play here is absolutely terrible.   He should pot it pre flop & post flop, every time.  As I'm a little on the tight side, & prefer to open with worse if need be, rather than face a confrontation, if he pots it pre, before it gets to me, I snap fold.   So he lost a DYM he really should not have.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't know how to word this tikay if he had raised against any other at the table would they have snap folded they both seem like playable hands and he might of thought he had a chance to bust you both off you being short and did not want to scare you off