You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,571
edited December 2021 in Strategy

We now have a thriving community here playing PLO8 DYM's, but to many, the game is a mystery.

Lots of players play it well though, & like to help newbies out.

So if you have a question about PLO8, DYM's or otherwise, post it here, & I'm sure the regulars &/or myself will try & help out.

ANYONE can ask or answer the questions.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few hints which, I hope are helpful. They are mainly aimed at the PLO8 newbie, especially in DYM's, but we can deal with ANY PLO8 stuff really.   

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2014

We ideally want BALANCED hands.

That means they have the ability to win both Hi, & Low pots.

A-2-K-Q can win BOTH or EITHER pots.

A-K-Q-J, or any high only hand, can scoop, but can NEVER win the Low.

Other hands which can only win the high are, for example....

A-A-9-9

10-10-J-J

8-9-10-J.

These are good PLO hands, but bad PLO8 hands.

If you have to play them, ideally we want to be at the late stages, with big blinds, & get it heads up. Multi-way they are poo.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Killer Cards

7, 8, 9 & 10 are known as KILLER CARDS, as they generally kill the value of your hand.

We can almost never win the Low or the High with these, as we are the wrong end of both.

In practice, if we have more than one of those cards in our hand, it's a pre-flop fold.

OK, we don't mind, say, A-2-7-8, especially DS, but generally, these killer cards should be avoided if we hold 2 or more of them.

And if we have 3 or 4 of them in our hand? MUCK THEM PRE.

You'll lose more money, over time, with these, than ANY other holdings.  

• Options
    edited July 2014

A-2-3-4 type hands.

This is not a point that all agree on, but late stage, we can raise with these, as at least half the time, we don't get called. If we do get called, we are pretty much a lock for the Low IF it comes.

Personally, late stage, I do raise with these, as I know I'll only get looked up 50% of the time at best, probably far less.

Call a raise with them, late stage? Not for me, no, as we lose the ability to force a fold, which is the real value. We HAVE to hit now. 

Really, this is a general DYM or even poker matter - always better to be the agressor than the caller. 

We can RAISE with much wider ranges than we can call with.  

• Options
    hellofishyhellofishy Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    nice intro tikay hope it brings in a few more players

• Options
    edited July 2014

Chasing the Low

After killer cards, most money is lost chasing lows.

Lows are nice, we like chasing lows, & they are easy to hit.

But....

If you miss the flop, It comes, say, 2 high cards, GIVE IT UP. You are being freerolled here.

At BEST, you are pulling to half the pot, so you are only getting back what you put in. That's a short cut to Carey Street.

We have A-2, with a nut suit, but miss the flop, it is so tempting to call for another card. And so often we miss. Some folks even call the turn bet still needing a low card. Don't do it, ever.

I know, it's frustrating to give it up, but the earlier you fold, the better, as you almost never profit from this play.

If we have the betting lead, yeah, by all means bet, the villain is probably on the low draw too, so he has to fold, but call, never.  
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread:
    nice intro tikay hope it brings in a few more players
    Posted by hellofishy
    Fishy!

Thanks mate, & love having you on the Tables, you are great fun.

First Community Post, too - welcome. 

You got any tips or advice?

• Options
    edited July 2014

SCOOPIO

Never forget, the key to winning PLO8 is to play for the SCOOP.

The SCOOP is when you win BOTH pots.

Inevitably, we enter most pots thinking or hoping we can win both. Once we see the flop, & we know we can't win both, give it up, unless you have got yourself pot-stuck, or think you can nick it.

Playing for half the pot, in a 2 player hand, makes NO SENSE.

3 way? Better to be on the High hand, as most likely the other 2 are on the low. We get three quarters, they get to share peanuts.

Don't take this TOO literally, if we have one end locked heads up, pot pot pot all day. Buty only if we are GUARANTEED half or more.

3 way, with A-2 & a made low, we are often going to get quartered, especially if one player squeezes. We have to call, but it's a bad spot.

Try to go for SCOOPIO.

Just try & think of Caroline.

• Options
    edited July 2014

Nut-Nut? Softly, softly, then BOOM

Our ideal scenario is when we have a lock on both ends.

This can be, say, the nut flush, & wheel or nut low, or, say, a long straight, Ace to 6 or 7.

These are quite complex spots, but the more callers we have, the better. WE MUST NOT LOSE THEM. They are almost always on the same low, or a worse flush with the low.

So on the flop & turn, softly softly, don't bet them out whatever you do, try & keep them, either by check calling, or betting very small. In NLHE, we bet to protect our hand, build the pot, or bluff. It's different in PLO8.

On the river, make them PAY. Bet the pot, or re-raise the max. They won't fold the nut low, & the bigger the pot, the more we are going to get via our three quartering them.

These are the dream spots in PLO8. Maximise them.  

• Options
    hellofishyhellofishy Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    i think you wont go far wrong if you playA2KQ  to begin with then when you get a bit more used to the game dynamics you can mix it up a bit like tikay says why risk your whole stack to maybe get back what you had anyway

• Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited July 2014

My tips for new players would be twofold.

Firstly HI>Lo. There will always be a Hi pot but not always a Lo. Winning the Hi should be our primary concern. With the Lo as a secondary target. Nut Hi will always be giving you a profit in chips.

Secondly. Be careful of chasing Lo draws and judge it by the number of players in the hand. Multiway this can be profitable if you hit but in HU pots it is always a losing pursuit. Because you are calling big bets in order to get lucky and get your chips back
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    edited July 2014
    I have been waiting for a thread like this for a while. I have currently stopped playing the PLO8 DYM's as I'm having a go at the HU promo, but when I start playing again I will be visiting this thread on a REGULAR basis!!

Some great advice so far though, I hope to see lots of hands posted too so we can see the correct or best way to play in certain spots.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Good stuff starting to be Posted already, keep it coming lads.  
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I have been waiting for a thread like this for a while. I have currently stopped playing the PLO8 DYM's as I'm having a go at the HU promo, but when I start playing again I will be visiting this thread on a REGULAR basis!! Some great advice so far though, I hope to see lots of hands posted too so we can see the correct or best way to play in certain spots.
    Posted by waller02
    Any particular difficulties you are having Waller? Just ask, I'm sure there will be plenty of offers of help.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If it helps.....

I'm sure some of Team PLO8, those who play regularly, will always be happy to sit at a 60p DYM, or 2p-49 PLO8 Cash Table to get some affordable practice & experience, & then talk it through afterwards.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Keep Your Powder Dry

The early levels of a DYM can be great fun, splashing around in pots, but just remember, 6 handed means nothing - the game is about one thing only - being effective when we are 4 handed. If you can build a stack early, great stuff, but it does not count for a deal 6 handed.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

When we get 4 handed, the game starts proper.

Usually, we have around 10 bigs, (150-300), or 7.5 Bigs if 200-400. 

Now its time to play.

NEVER limp.

NEVER flat call.

We have 2 options - POT, or FOLD. Nothing else.

We change gear now, to, & widen our range considerably. If the pot is unopened, & we have a half decent 2 way hand including an Ace - POT IT.

Try & be the aggressor, too. WE can POT with a medium hand, but it's tough & often wrong to call with a decent hand. BE THE RAISER NOT THE CALLER. 

Keep an eye on the shortie(s) too. No point banging heads with Billy Big Stack if some guy is sat there with 2 Bigs. Keep out of trouble, we can win this by passing.    

The game is won or lost at this stage.    

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Well I won't be playing any PLO8 until I have completed my 50 HU games (played 26 so far), after that I will be back on the PLO8 grind at the £1 level. My game is "getting there" and it's hard to say what I'm struggling with.......pretty much everything haha. 

To begin with it was starting hands but now it is mainly my post flop play. It has taken me a while to realise that your hand strength has to be super strong most of the time, such as 2 pair hands that are good a lot of the time in holdem but are often beat in PLO8. I'm also often chasing draws which end up being beat anyway!!!

Like I said though, I'll get there and it really is a fun game.........plus I like a challenge!

EDIT: I will be playing the PLO8 mtt's tonight though. They are a good way to learn too as there is lot's of play, haven't had a cash yet but did come close last time.......watch this space!
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2014
    Hi all. Im gonna rant so top marks to you if you read all of this!

Im posting because Tikay has asked me to and I hugely respect Mister Kendall.

Im 40-incase anyone didnt know :) and Ive been playing poker probably for around 7 years now of which 3 are on Sky.

I had no idea how to play poker until I was 32 or so but I did like playing in our annual family cards games and loved games like yahtzee which involve numbers and strategy. I think these things either come naturally with you or they dont.

Anyhow after buying a poker game for the pc and playing it for a month I learned the general rules. Then I joined another site and played for play money for a month before I played for real money. These were the good old days "the celtic tiger years" where spending money wasnt a big deal as everyone was doing it!

I made a loss of about 1000 dollars on this site over 2 years playing holdem mtts. To be honest it didnt actually bother me despite the fact that thats alot of money! but the way I looked at it was I was getting alot of entertainment from it and other activities that I got entertainment for I was spending similar or more money on .....routine things like sports,playstation games, tv subs, cinema etc.... As times are now different I would not be as comfortable losing that money now that I have a family,bills etc. I feel the main reason I made this loss was because I was a chaser .....I chased winning hands rather than folding.

I then joined another site and did quite well on it until it shut down! Thankfully I got my bankroll out in time. I had got my act together poker wise by now and knew what I was doing! Still playing holdem mtts low buy ins.

So then I began my search for another site and found Sky......channel 861 and the free 10 quid were what enticed me to it. I started with Holdem dyms £3 and after a month joined Omaha dyms. I had mistakenly regged for one and thought hey this is really interesting. I played Omaha Hi dyms for 33 months and then joined Omaha Hi Lo in Jan 14.

This is my 39th month on Sky and Ive made a profit every month (small profits mind you). Lucky? sometimes yes but obviously cant be all down to luck.

This is what my advice would be to any willing listeners.

* This is entertainment and no different to any entertainment if your not enjoying it then take a break and come back when you are enjoying it or else stop playing! It is hugely important to only play when your in a good frame of mind, otherwise you will lose and get more and angry and start chasing. So stop, take a break regroup and when your mind is clear play again. I guess in summary what Im referring to is you need huge discipline and self control. Playing badly often results in you being in bad form which will impact your personal life ....not good!

* Have fun! I talk alot at the tables which sometimes people dont take to, but this is my spare time and I like to have fun during my spare time! 

* Bankroll management. Im like most people a recreational player but probably unlike most people Im a nit for bankroll management. I deposited 50 euro when joining the site (40 quid) and a month later I withdrew it. I then withdrew 20 euro everytime I won 30 euro and it built up slowly over time. I heard a pro player say once that when you buy in for a game envisage that you have lost it and if it hurts alot then you shouldnt have entered. This is great advice! For this reason I stick with low buy ins.
    Not everyone is a winning player so in this case weigh up what you can afford to spend on poker and stick to this limit. Nowadays I withdraw once a year in January and leave 200 quid in my bankroll and try rebuild it again the next year.

Now my PLO8 dym advice.

* Learn how to play dyms. Your intent is to cash and not to win. My most frequent finishing position is 4th place. I often see some great players join dyms and play to win ...yes sometimes they win in style but sometimes they lose when if they set back and played the occasional hand they would have been fine. Dont fold every hand however as youdont wanna become a pushover either but wait for strongish ones.

* Learn the rules. I watched people playing PLO8 for a month before I started to play it and I learned from watching them. Like the previous posts its very important to have a high and low hand if your getting it in big and personally I like having and ace high suited option too. I dont read books but if your into it im sure reading strategy etc will prove useful. Personally I like to learn from playing and watching.

* Know your opponent. This is a huge part of my success. When you fold a hand you swtich off right? Wrong! Watch your opponents play and learn! Players notes are very important. My bet sizes and range of hands vary depending on my opponents.

* Mix up your game. Be aware of the general rules for dyms ....tight early, play hi and lo hands however my advice is to sparingly break these rules. Depending on who is at the table you vary your tactics. You know who is gonna call no matter what and who is only gonna call if they have something. Dont be ashamed to make bad mistakes infact it can work in your favour sometimes as people might scratch their head wondering why you played that hand?. Overall goal I guess is to keep people guessing. Stick to the general principles but dont be too rigid!

Not really advice but personally I like to build a bankroll little by little over time. I think alot of people wanna make a quick buck which is fine but thats just not me. I guess im the tortoise and not he rabit but thats not to say its the best method.

Also no matter how well youare doing remember you are always learning as the game evolves so you dont wanna get left behind.

Anyhow rant over....hopefully this will be of some use and good luck at the tables!

Ger

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,028
    edited July 2014
    Nice advice Ger

Not that its doing me any good.
    I can seriously say i can't remember the last DYM i cashed in.
    Getting too many river beats at the moment, just don't know what to do.

May have to find another hobby i think :-(
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2014
    Well for what its worth I think your a fine  player Vespa. I havent played you enough to give you any tips but your game seems very solid to me. If you wanna pm me to discuss where you think your going wrong (if things are going wrong) Id be happy to share my thoughts.

Ger
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Hi all. Im gonna rant so top marks to you if you read all of this! Im posting because Tikay has asked me to and I hugely respect Mister Kendall. Im 40-incase anyone didnt know :) and Ive been playing poker probably for around 7 years now of which 3 are on Sky. I had no idea how to play poker until I was 32 or so but I did like playing in our annual family cards games and loved games like yahtzee which involve numbers and strategy. I think these things either come naturally with you or they dont. Anyhow after buying a poker game for the pc and playing it for a month I learned the general rules. Then I joined another site and played for play money for a month before I played for real money. These were the good old days "the celtic tiger years" where spending money wasnt a big deal as everyone was doing it! I made a loss of about 1000 dollars on this site over 2 years playing holdem mtts. To be honest it didnt actually bother me despite the fact that thats alot of money! but the way I looked at it was I was getting alot of entertainment from it and other activities that I got entertainment for I was spending similar or more money on .....routine things like sports,playstation games, tv subs, cinema etc.... As times are now different I would not be as comfortable losing that money now that I have a family,bills etc. I feel the main reason I made this loss was because I was a chaser .....I chased winning hands rather than folding. I then joined another site and did quite well on it until it shut down! Thankfully I got my bankroll out in time. I had got my act together poker wise by now and knew what I was doing! Still playing holdem mtts low buy ins. So then I began my search for another site and found Sky......channel 861 and the free 10 quid were what enticed me to it. I started with Holdem dyms £3 and after a month joined Omaha dyms. I had mistakenly regged for one and thought hey this is really interesting. I played Omaha Hi dyms for 33 months and then joined Omaha Hi Lo in Jan 14. This is my 39th month on Sky and Ive made a profit every month (small profits mind you). Lucky? sometimes yes but obviously cant be all down to luck. This is what my advice would be to any willing listeners. * This is entertainment and no different to any entertainment if your not enjoying it then take a break and come back when you are enjoying it or else stop playing! It is hugely important to only play when your in a good frame of mind, otherwise you will lose and get more and angry and start chasing. So stop, take a break regroup and when your mind is clear play again. I guess in summary what Im referring to is you need huge discipline and self control. Playing badly often results in you being in bad form which will impact your personal life ....not good! * Have fun! I talk alot at the tables which sometimes people dont take to, but this is my spare time and I like to have fun during my spare time!  * Bankroll management. Im like most people a recreational player but probably unlike most people Im a nit for bankroll management. I deposited 50 euro when joining the site (40 quid) and a month later I withdrew it. I then withdrew 20 euro everytime I won 30 euro and it built up slowly over time. I heard a pro player say once that when you buy in for a game envisage that you have lost it and if it hurts alot then you shouldnt have entered. This is great advice! For this reason I stick with low buy ins. Not everyone is a winning player so in this case weigh up what you can afford to spend on poker and stick to this limit. Nowadays I withdraw once a year in January and leave 200 quid in my bankroll and try rebuild it again the next year. Now my PLO8 dym advice. * Learn how to play dyms. Your intent is to cash and not to win. My most frequent finishing position is 4th place. I often see some great players join dyms and play to win ...yes sometimes they win in style but sometimes they lose when if they set back and played the occasional hand they would have been fine. Dont fold every hand however as youdont wanna become a pushover either but wait for strongish ones. * Learn the rules. I watched people playing PLO8 for a month before I started to play it and I learned from watching them. Like the previous posts its very important to have a high and low hand if your getting it in big and personally I like having and ace high suited option too. I dont read books but if your into it im sure reading strategy etc will prove useful. Personally I like to learn from playing and watching. * Know your opponent. This is a huge part of my success. When you fold a hand you swtich off right? Wrong! Watch your opponents play and learn! Players notes are very important. My bet sizes and range of hands vary depending on my opponents. * Mix up your game. Be aware of the general rules for dyms ....tight early, play hi and lo hands however my advice is to sparingly break these rules. Depending on who is at the table you vary your tactics. You know who is gonna call no matter what and who is only gonna call if they have something. Dont be ashamed to make bad mistakes infact it can work in your favour sometimes as people might scratch their head wondering why you played that hand?. Overall goal I guess is to keep people guessing. Stick to the general principles but dont be too rigid! Not really advice but personally I like to build a bankroll little by little over time. I think alot of people wanna make a quick buck which is fine but thats just not me. I guess im the tortoise and not he rabit but thats not to say its the best method. Also no matter how well youare doing remember you are always learning as the game evolves so you dont wanna get left behind. Anyhow rant over....hopefully this will be of some use and good luck at the tables! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Great post.

Many good points that I will try to take on board