You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    stuarty117stuarty117 Member Posts: 1,395
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread:
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : I don't know how to word this tikay if he had raised against any other at the table would they have snap folded they both seem like playable hands and he might of thought he had a chance to bust you both off you being short and did not want to scare you off 
    Posted by weecheez1
    Hi Mr cheez

If you have 2500 chips and limp 400 you are limping 1/6 of your stack plus the blinds will be coming round soon.

At this stage of a dym you are looking to collect the 600 chips or go one on one to cash if we have a decent hand.

If the guy had of raised tikay may have folded and waited for a better spot. He collects 600 chips and moves onto next hand.

The worst thing especially in Holdem in late stages of a dym is to limp with AA or KK and then the Big blind flops 2 pair and we lose always raise makes the game so much easier.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : Hi Mr cheez If you have 2500 chips and limp 400 you are limping 1/6 of your stack plus the blinds will be coming round soon. At this stage of a dym you are looking to collect the 600 chips or go one on one to cash if we have a decent hand. If the guy had of raised tikay may have folded and waited for a better spot. He collects 600 chips and moves onto next hand. The worst thing especially in Holdem in late stages of a dym is to limp with AA or KK and then the Big blind flops 2 pair and we lose always raise makes the game so much easier.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Thanks stuarty these things will come to me eventually I think it's more like a chess game playing dyms enjoying them a lot
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited December 2015
    A quick tip here, it really applies to any DYM, but this was in a PLO8 affair last night. I'm not saying I am correct, this is just my view, but I saw a play last night which struck me as terrible.   4 of us left, 2 have around 3,500, the other 2 - including Villain & myself - have about 2,500 each. This is the part of a DYM that really matters, & where we need to avoid mistakes.  The 2 big stacks are in the Blinds, now Villain, playing 2,500 (same as me) LIMPS. Limps at 200-400, what? That can NEVER be good.   He can be trapping here with the Aces, but even they are not huge jollies, so I don't think that is good play.   Anyway, he limps, & I have..... A-2-4-J, with a nut suit in hearts. So I pot it, & I'm pot stuck now, whatever he does. He now FLATS.  It comes a nice flop, 2 of my nut suit & 2 low. He checks. I put the rest in, & he calls in a heartbeat.   He has A-K-2-3.  I hit my flush, & no more low cards come, so I (luckily) bust him.   I think his play here is absolutely terrible.   He should pot it pre flop & post flop, every time.  As I'm a little on the tight side, & prefer to open with worse if need be, rather than face a confrontation, if he pots it pre, before it gets to me, I snap fold.   So he lost a DYM he really should not have.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Its a trend a few players have.
    Got notes on these
    Limp/Folds
    Limp/Calls

Been really helpful on who to raise
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : Hi Mr cheez If you have 2500 chips and limp 400 you are limping 1/6 of your stack plus the blinds will be coming round soon. At this stage of a dym you are looking to collect the 600 chips or go one on one to cash if we have a decent hand. If the guy had of raised tikay may have folded and waited for a better spot. He collects 600 chips and moves onto next hand. The worst thing especially in Holdem in late stages of a dym is to limp with AA or KK and then the Big blind flops 2 pair and we lose always raise makes the game so much easier.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Good post Stu, & this is part of what I was trying to get across to Cheezy.

The limper with A-K-2-x had 2,500 chips @ 200-400 before the hand.

He limps UTG, I fold the Button, the SB makes up & the BB checks.

Flop comes 9-3-3.

SB pots it.

What does Mr Limpy Limp do now? He HAS to fold.

So he has set fire to 400 of his 2,500, & now has to go through the blinds (another 600) where he will be OOP, & susceptible to a bet in front of him. So he is now down to 1,500, & in shove mode - so he MUST find a hand before the next set of blinds now.

Suddenly, he's in big trouble. And for sure, he'll be thinking (if he has any sense) "if ONLY I had potted it when I had that A-K-2-x hand".

Not only does he lkely win that hand uncontested (nobody LIKES calling & they need a serious hand to do so) but more importantly, he has PAID THE RENT for another orbit. And that's gives him another orbit to a) find a hand & b) let the players potentially bust. At 200-400, every orbit is a bonus, as eventually, someone is gonna bust.

2,500 @ 200-400 4 handed in an unopened pot, A-K-2-x is ALWAYS a bet. Always. This hand is almost the PLO8 equivalent of Aces in NLH.

If we were deep in a NLH MTT or SNG, would we ever limp with AK? Course not. 

There is a fundamental of poker at work here. 

Give ourselves TWO ways to win this hand. They all fold, or they call & we win.

By CALLING, we only give ourselves one way to win the hand. This is a fundamental of poker.    

• Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : Good post Stu, & this is part of what I was trying to get across to Cheezy.   The limper with A-K-2-x had 2,500 chips @ 200-400 before the hand. He limps UTG, I fold the Button, the SB makes up & the BB checks. Flop comes 9-3-3. SB pots it.   What does Mr Limpy Limp do now? He HAS to fold.   So he has set fire to 400 of his 2,500, & now has to go through the blinds (another 600) where he will be OOP, & susceptible to a bet in front of him. So he is now down to 1,500, & in shove mode - so he MUST find a hand before the next set of blinds now.   Suddenly, he's in big trouble. And for sure, he'll be thinking (if he has any sense) "if ONLY I had potted it when I had that A-K-2-x hand". Not only does he lkely win that hand uncontested (nobody LIKES calling & they need a serious hand to do so) but more importantly, he has PAID THE RENT for another orbit. And that's gives him another orbit to a) find a hand & b) let the players potentially bust. At 200-400, every orbit is a bonus, as eventually, someone is gonna bust. 2,500 @ 200-400 4 handed in an unopened pot, A-K-2-x is ALWAYS a bet. Always. This hand is almost the PLO8 equivalent of Aces in NLH.   If we were deep in a NLH MTT or SNG, would we ever limp with AK? Course not.  There is a fundamental of poker at work here.  Give ourselves TWO ways to win this hand. They all fold, or they call & we win.   By CALLING, we only give ourselves one way to win the hand. This is a fundamental of poker.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Point taken sir be aggressive or get off the potty 
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Hi boys I am looking for yet more advice I want to set myself some targets in the new year I tend to jump on whatever table is available when playing I would like to be a bit more structured any ideas I play most of the games bh deepstacks and PLO8 when they are on 
  • Options
    67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
    edited December 2015
    Hi boys I am looking for yet more advice I want to set myself some targets in the new year I tend to jump on whatever table is available when playing I would like to be a bit more structured any ideas I play most of the games bh deepstacks and PLO8 when they are on 
    Posted by weecheez1

Hi mate, it depends what targets you want to achieve.

Are you playing for fun and willing to gamble and lose a certain amount each month?

Do you want to build a bankroll to enable you to hopefully move up the stakes?

Do you want to play small stakes and hopefully be proficient enough to make a small profit?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : Hi mate, it depends what targets you want to achieve. Are you playing for fun and willing to gamble and lose a certain amount each month? Do you want to build a bankroll to enable you to hopefully move up the stakes? Do you want to play small stakes and hopefully be proficient enough to make a small profit?
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    I would like it firstly to remain fun a profit would be fine but not at the expense of turning into a chore where all that's important is money I was thinking along the lines of the challenges that appear on the forum maybe ten of each tournament ie 2 20 bounty hunter ,ten deepstacks at 2 20 and ten PLO8 sit and goes the problem with the last one is most of the games are 3 00 and above  
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread : I would like it firstly to remain fun a profit would be fine but not at the expense of turning into a chore where all that's important is money I was thinking along the lines of the challenges that appear on the forum maybe ten of each tournament ie 2 20 bounty hunter ,ten deepstacks at 2 20 and ten PLO8 sit and goes the problem with the last one is most of the games are 3 00 and above  
    Posted by weecheez1

As long as it's within your budget, and you can afford to have fun, then your fine with what you are suggesting.  I saw a post by Lambet180 on another thread, where he states that only 10% of online players regularly make a profit, I could easily believe this might be the case.

Maybe keeping a diary on the pokerchat page might be an idea.  Set out some reasonable targets you want to achieve, nothing too impossible.  You will find that people will encourage you along, and also it will  enable you to post your thoughts and get some feedback.

I would advise keeping records of all your games seperately, NH, BH, PLO8 Tournaments, PLO8 DYMs, etc.  This will give you a good indication of where your strengths and weaknesses lie, enabling you to focus your game on your strong points and hopefully make a profit, and also indicating what areas of your game that you have to work on and improve.

On the PLO8 DYMs, I play microstakes and would suggest being patient.  Start a SNG, it will fill eventually.  I would also suggest you use my tennis strategy outlined a few pages back for each level you play.  If you can regularly win tennis matches at the level you are playing on, then you can maybe step up and give the next level a shot. 

Anyway best of luck with it mate.

Craig
  • Options
    edited January 2016

A quick update for all the tennis fans out there. 
    Results of my tennis matches in Dec.

Played  60    won  41    Lost  19

Bankroll nitiness in Dec.

Bets   £525.65
    Profit  £  62.87
    ROI       12%
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited January 2016
    thought on this hand please?PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancemisterbunSmall blind 15.0015.002120.00HENDRIK62Big blind 30.0045.001360.00 Your hole cardsJAA2   Macacgirl1Fold    NOMADICUSCall 30.0075.002740.00 Call 30.00105.001905.00tikay1Fold    misterbunCall 15.00120.002105.00HENDRIK62Raise 120.00240.001240.00NOMADICUSCall 120.00360.002620.00 Call 120.00480.001785.00misterbunFold    Flop  JK4   HENDRIK62Bet 360.00840.00880.00NOMADICUSFold     Call 360.001200.001425.00Turn  7   HENDRIK62All-in 880.002080.000.00 All-in 1425.003505.000.00 Unmatched bet 545.002960.00545.00HENDRIK62ShowJAA2    ShowAQ34   River  4    Win highFlush to the King2960.00 3505.00 No qualifying low hand    Clos
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Regarding the above ^^

My opponent here is a very experienced DYM player, has a strong range and a good grasp of this particular format

It may be the hand would have played out the same regardless, but my question is this;

Given I have raised pre here he can put me on a balanced hi lo hand and likely aces.

He obvioulsy flops a flush draw (albeit I hold the nut blocker)

If I raise smaller on the flop (say 250), when he misses on the turn, his odds are slashed, and his low draw is very weak. If I then pot bet can he really carry on with a single pair and non nutted draw.

With some players I wouldn't even question it as they will go with the thinnest possible, but with this player I think if I play it differently I may have some fold equity?

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2016
    I think you have both gone to war too thin too early for a dym.

It is still L2 with 6 players left in.

You get your chips in with an overpair and a low draw.

They get their chips with a non-nut flush draw and non-nut low draw.

I dont think I would pot bet the flop maybe 2/3 to 3/4 we could have flopped bad v 2 opponents but may still get folds from drawing only hands. 

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for looking, I agree with your summary, I know a big leak for me when running poorly (this was in the middle of an extended downswing) is getting too attached to pretty hands and getting involved too much in early levels.

As I say I was just wondering aloud if, by playing this differently I don't commit myself or the opponent on the flop (I have pretty much done that above with my bet sizing), then perhaps on the turn I can bomb it and get a fold.

• Options
    Macacgirl1Macacgirl1 Member Posts: 865
    edited January 2016
    I'd have played it like this.
    AA2x at any level I'm potting it.
    You got a call, not a reraise pre-flop, that usually means you're looking at A2/3/4/5/6/7 type combo hands.
    That's usually of course, some people call with any 4.
    The flop comes two high cards, you're ahead usually, instant pot it.
    Without flush draw or a set he's folding
    He calls, he's telling you he has a draw or set.
    Turn comes low, he hasn't hit his flush, no straight, pot it, try to get him off a draw. You'll probably find out here if he has a set. With a set, he should get emin anyway, UL. Timing eh?
    He gets em' in, you're behind or he's on a draw.
    He then hits his flush on the river. Nevermind. Give up. Take up knitting.

If not all-in pre river....Against some players I'll rep the nut flush, or a FH after the river, against others I'll give up. Usually pot commited here anyways.

Obv all the above, a bit different due to stack sizes etc, chips all-in on the turn, but you get the drift. Personally I think you did the right thing. He got em in with non nut draws. Happy Days.

Against some people I'd play it very differently, but against the majority, like that.

And the award for the longest unintentional blank space, goes to....

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268
    edited January 2016

Mods - ban this woman please.

Waste of space.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mods - ban this woman please. Waste of space.
    Posted by Tikay10

lol very good
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Hand History #995595301 (22:40 25/01/2016)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxxxSmall blind 100.00100.001632.50
    omahahiloBig blind 200.00300.002970.00
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    • Q

Macacgirl1Fold    
    isa66Fold    
    Phantom66Raise 700.001000.001420.00
    xxxxCall 600.001600.001032.50
    omahahiloFold    
    Flop

xxxxBet 200.001800.00832.50
    Phantom66Call 200.002000.001220.00
    Turn

• Q

xxxxAll-in 832.502832.500.00
    Phantom66Fold    
    xxxxMuck    
    xxxxWin 2000.00 2000.00
    xxxxReturn 832.500.002832.50
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Any thoughts on the above hand please?

I have already attempted twice to post my own thoughts at the time and since but lost them when I was frozen out by a sky poker pop-up. General problem with Firefox or just me?

Interested in thoughts. Brief summary of mine...

1. Pre - Maybe just 400 instead of committing 700? Does the job of folding out rubbish, happy to fold it to a repot and not a bad hand to play in position post flop.

2. Flop - Hate the board - opponent could be on a low only trying to steal pot as they are more likely to have the 7. Is a call OK or would anyone fold or re-pot?

3. Turn - Hate the Qd as flushes have now hit too, and the all-in even more. Could definitely be a bluff as I have shown post flop weakness but is that enough to make the call when only a Q or a 2 are needed to help me.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Great read