You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

DOHHH's TP preperation sit n go specific thread!....

Comments

• Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2010
      Ok a couple pieces of advice for you.

1) if you have a shove monkey on the table, avoid him and let someone else deal with him.
    2) Allow yourself about 300 chips early on to see some flops and try to take them down. Best case you have about 3000 worst case about 1700.
    3) The most important time of the game is at the 15 minute mark because that is when the largest blind increase comes  25/50 to 50/100
    4) When you are in and around the bubble time and you are looking to bully. Attack the medium stacks because they are most likely to fold. The small and large stacks will have much wider calling ranges so only attack them with better hands.

Hope these points help
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited January 2010

Nice to see u here Talon! - Always have expert advice on theory and technicalities of the game!

Just played another 2 n cashed, so Im 5 from 8! 2 more n Im happy-ish, altho I haven' been outdrawn, or outdrawn anyone yet, so its a pretty fair reflection on my play. The 3 I lost, 2 I threw away and the 3rd was a marginal decision we've alreay discussed, so pretty happy so far.

In one I lost, we're 5 handed, Ive just eliminated a player to double up to 4.5k. Im on the biig blind unraised with queen 5 diamonds. Flop comes 5, 8, K, 2 diamonds. I decide to check raise. Works perfectly, but my all in check raise gets snapped, he has top 2, miss my draw (only the flush to draw to :( ) and Im bak in trouble. This an example where I shud check call? or even just pass?

Played with Dylan12 there a fellow team David-er, we got HU and decided to play 'proper'. Got it all in my ace 10 v his 7 10 diamonds! flop, 2, 3, 4. Turn 5! In the bag! OOOOPS, river 6! lol

Gd fun, DOHH :)
  • Options
    pryce6pryce6 Member Posts: 1,058
    edited January 2010
    I've been giving them a go myself recently on my account and last night in TP. I find them really strange because one bit of bad luck and you're struggling big time. Chase a flush or make a play early on and you might be down to 1.3k already.

I've tried to sit tight and wait for some hands but especially last night they just did not come and I ended up grinding my way to 2/5 cashes which I was disappointed with. But I bubbled two of them and lost a flip in the other. I just ended up folding my way to being one of the short stacks and doing then shoving 9s into the bb who inevitably has me crushed.

Today I have done four more and cashed in 2/4 although one of my cashes was a higher stake so I'm in profit.. First loss I flopped a straight with 1.2k left and bet out on 3 spade flop and was put all in, wanted to fold but with 900 back I couldn't see how and he showed me the flush which was lovely.

I managed to fold AQ on a queen high board in the other loss and the guy showed me kings only five hands later to check my bb of J7 and jam 800 chips (blinds 400) on a 7 high flop into aces...

Just seems to me that you can play as well as you want to but your result is going to come down to one or two spots in the game and if they don't go your way then you aint cashing.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yeh I know exactly what u mean Pryce, I feel I have the beating of the players, but am struggling to beat the game! - However I suppose a total player would have to adapt, work at it, and ultimately beat it! I'm sure we can!

Gunna try normal SNG's later, maybe give those a go tonight?

Well done last night, I think u went deeper in the ME than the other TP's? - congrats on that. Sorry about raising into u blind on blind, I wasnt picking on 'the star' lol - I had ace 9 n the blinds were pretty big, ida done the same to any1 m8.

Will be watching u again tonight, hopefully avoid u in the ME tho!

GL, DOHH

• Options
    dylan12dylan12 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: DOHHH's TP preperation sit n go specific thread!....:
    Nice to see u here Talon! - Always have expert advice on theory and technicalities of the game! Just played another 2 n cashed, so Im 5 from 8! 2 more n Im happy-ish, altho I haven' been outdrawn, or outdrawn anyone yet, so its a pretty fair reflection on my play. The 3 I lost, 2 I threw away and the 3rd was a marginal decision we've alreay discussed, so pretty happy so far. In one I lost, we're 5 handed, Ive just eliminated a player to double up to 4.5k. Im on the biig blind unraised with queen 5 diamonds. Flop comes 5, 8, K, 2 diamonds. I decide to check raise. Works perfectly, but my all in check raise gets snapped, he has top 2, miss my draw (only the flush to draw to :( ) and Im bak in trouble. This an example where I shud check call? or even just pass? Played with Dylan12 there a fellow team David-er, we got HU and decided to play 'proper'. Got it all in my ace 10 v his 7 10 diamonds! flop, 2, 3, 4. Turn 5! In the bag! OOOOPS, river 6! lol Gd fun, DOHH :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well done Doh mate, and it was nice to see a 1st and 2nd for Team Tuck!! And yes it was a bad call with the 10 7 diamonds but after my orifinal raise it wasn'r much more to call knowing that I would be live - a bad beat Doh but no doubt we will hopefully have a few other run ins heads up so that you can pay me back!! Well done mate your doing really well in the stt and from what i saw you tamed your aggresion and picked your spots well mate, keep it up!!
  • Options
    dylan12dylan12 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited January 2010
      Ok a couple pieces of advice for you. 1) if you have a shove monkey on the table, avoid him and let someone else deal with him. 2) Allow yourself about 300 chips early on to see some flops and try to take them down. Best case you have about 3000 worst case about 1700. 3) The most important time of the game is at the 15 minute mark because that is when the largest blind increase comes  25/50 to 50/100 4) When you are in and around the bubble time and you are looking to bully. Attack the medium stacks because they are most likely to fold. The small and large stacks will have much wider calling ranges so only attack them with better hands.   Hope these points help
    Posted by Talon
    Hi Talon

Great advice, that is near enough what I try and always do in stt, nice to know that others do the same and I am not in fact playing it entirly wrong

Dylan
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Well the final 2 were going to plan, won the first, on the bubble in the 2nd, got the guy who had blown a 6k stack!!! - all in with ace 8 v ace 9, n got out drawn. 1 hand came up which is reallllyyyy a DYM specific hand, not gonna post it again, as it gets messy n people get bored and lose interest, if they haven't done already, but in each of my posts, Im mentioning situations and scenarios rather than posting pages n pages of hand histories. Picture this.

Bubble...again (havent finished lower than 4th...)

Blinds 100/200.....UTG Folds.....Im 4k, 1k above average, n theres a limp from a fella with 1.2k, 6 bbs! Im small blind here and I have 99! Now Im more than happy to isolate the shortstack and try to end this thing now. So I raise 800, trying to tell the big blind, Ive got this under control!

However the BB tanks to basically put me all in! The short stack folds! (why hes limp folding with 6xbb i'll never know!)

As I'm still not the short stack even after this raise, And the blinds have just past through me, n theres a fella with 5bbs whos guna put the blinds in very soon.... I PASS!

Opinions? - flat the limp? (h8 it but maybe theres summat Ive missed? - Go straight all in?) Raise fold? Raise call?

HELP!

6/10 overall. DOHH
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    Well the final 2 were going to plan, won the first, on the bubble in the 2nd, got the guy who had blown a 6k stack!!! - all in with ace 8 v ace 9, n got out drawn. 1 hand came up which is reallllyyyy a DYM specific hand, not gonna post it again, as it gets messy n people get bored and lose interest, if they haven't done already, but in each of my posts, Im mentioning situations and scenarios rather than posting pages n pages of hand histories. Picture this. Bubble...again (havent finished lower than 4th...) Blinds 100/200.....UTG Folds.....Im 4k, 1k above average, n theres a limp from a fella with 1.2k, 6 bbs! Im small blind here and I have 99! Now Im more than happy to isolate the shortstack and try to end this thing now. So I raise 800, trying to tell the big blind, Ive got this under control! However the BB tanks to basically put me all in! The short stack folds! (why hes limp folding with 6xbb i'll never know!) As I'm still not the short stack even after this raise, And the blinds have just past through me, n theres a fella with 5bbs whos guna put the blinds in very soon.... I PASS! Opinions? - flat the limp? (h8 it but maybe theres summat Ive missed? - Go straight all in?) Raise fold? Raise call? HELP! 6/10 overall. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Would have folded it just as you did. You have the short stack in bad shape and his limp shows he's not adverse to leaking the chips so i wait for a few orbits and see what happens with him
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    DYM is a game of survival. You're very comfortable. Did you need to get involved at all? As you did your fold was probably right. The short stack is leaking.... let him leak away.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,220
    edited January 2010
    Well the final 2 were going to plan, won the first, on the bubble in the 2nd, got the guy who had blown a 6k stack!!! - all in with ace 8 v ace 9, n got out drawn. 1 hand came up which is reallllyyyy a DYM specific hand, not gonna post it again, as it gets messy n people get bored and lose interest, if they haven't done already, but in each of my posts, Im mentioning situations and scenarios rather than posting pages n pages of hand histories. Picture this. Bubble...again (havent finished lower than 4th...) Blinds 100/200.....UTG Folds.....Im 4k, 1k above average, n theres a limp from a fella with 1.2k, 6 bbs! Im small blind here and I have 99! Now Im more than happy to isolate the shortstack and try to end this thing now. So I raise 800, trying to tell the big blind, Ive got this under control! However the BB tanks to basically put me all in! The short stack folds! (why hes limp folding with 6xbb i'll never know!) As I'm still not the short stack even after this raise, And the blinds have just past through me, n theres a fella with 5bbs whos guna put the blinds in very soon.... I PASS! Opinions? - flat the limp? (h8 it but maybe theres summat Ive missed? - Go straight all in?) Raise fold? Raise call? HELP! 6/10 overall. DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Personally, I've read a zillion quillion Hand Histories in the laat 10 or 12 years, & my eyes glaze over when I see them. But I love to see explanations of what, when how & why.

Nobody is losing interest man - the Thread length, in 5 or 6 hours, tells us that.

Remember something. 99% of us are not in Total Player, but we are living the dream journey through you guys. So keep this stuff coming. And if any of you scoop big one day, we'll feel a part of that.

That 9-9 hand?

1) Hard to figure how someone could even imagine limping, let alone limp-folding, with 6 x BB's. I'd have been scared he was trapping with Aces or something!

2) But worrying about Aces aside, I am NOT making it 800 here. You can maybe make a case for folding, and we are NEVER flatting, but me, I'm shoving with 9-9 in this spot, all day long. And I'm Mr RockityNitty the RockNit from RockNitVille.*

*Normally, KK is the bottom of my range, in case anyone gets funny ideas. OK?

PS - How is google Chrome performing?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Lol u can see tikay my instincts with the 99 here, are as u said, to shove, n go for it, applying pressure is my game whatever structure Ive played in the past,  but its all the advice about caution and the game structre thats held me back, so Ive been caught inbetween. I know If I shove, I should get the BB behind off AK, AQ maybe even 10 10, JJ, as hes in such a superior position.....

But him having tanked behind me, I HAVE to give him credit?

The google chrome is struggling. It runs fine, and in places starts lagging bad, especially when short handed and the actions constantly on me. Having played 10, gna have a minute, I've re-downloaded Firefox just now and gonna give that ago for a few hours. It seemed to run fine last time, apart from completely freezing mid hand on a couple of occasions, but ill delete the temp files etc n try it.

Might just be sensible to buy another laptop, probably due one anyway.

Gona move up n play higher DYM's n sngs till the big TKO main event and the normal MEvent tonight!

Just a word for the guys who r replying here, the number of replies is getting high, but alot are mine, lol, I know theres hundreds of u who play this structure constantly, when U log on, the first thing u do is register for a DYM, experience is everything, and u must know what ur doing, duznt matter what level u play at, the winning formula must be basically the same, so Thanx, n I hope u keep helping me out, on the specific scenarios mentioned especially!

Here we go again! DOHH

• Options
    UncleNafeUncleNafe Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2010
    There was another hand in the last game I played...where I shoved after a limp and a raise... 4 handed again here....So avg is 3k, I have 2.4k, the short stack has 1.9k. The big stack has 5k and limps utg with blinds at 150/300. The button folds, and the small blind shoves his 1.9k in. I look at AQ. now with the Big stack limping shows strength. But if I pass here, and the big stack passes, Im gonna feel pretty sick as Im now in deep trouble. Wat Im thinking here, is at the beginning of the hand, I had the shortie covered, so If I call and the bb calls too, I/we have 2 chances of winning, as If the Bstack wins, I finished 3rd anyway right? Anyway I shoved, the big stack passed and I won the race with AQ v 77 - correct play ? Thanx, DOHH (trying google chrome so cudnt post the hand properly)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    That was my 7's you luckbox lol ;o)
    I think you played it right - I would have shoved in your situation. That was my 3rd bubble in a row - each time losing a race with pp. It's very rarely easy!!
    GL in your challenge
  • Options
    apollo_11apollo_11 Member Posts: 969
    edited January 2010
    I play mostly DYM games at various micro level and the advice given by various players in this thread is very good. I am sure that all DYM players could learn something from this thread.

Good luck with your higher stake games tonight Dohhh.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,220
    edited January 2010

Having seen the other responses, I think my read may have been wrong, I'm wobbling. (Not as much as Mr Limpity-Limp is though). 

If Mr Limp-Fold has 6 x BB, we might as well declare our innings, the job is done, & we can sit out & wait for him to keep limping until he eventually falls over. He can do the job for us.
  • Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    Had a nightmare, 2 hands, blind on blind. First one have ace 4, got 10 BB's, unraised pot, I shove. I know this was wrong, raise 3xbb n get away. 7 bbs is playable in these. 2nd one, Same, unraised, blind on blind, king 9 suited, shove, called AK. - 6/7 BBish.  Was in winning positions in both, was cruising. The early stages r a walk in the park. The later stages r doing my head in.  Neway 3/6 2 bubbles.  Guna have to win 3 of the nxt 4 - oh I need 7/10 so its all of the last 4! oops! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    shove both... dont fall into the trap most people get caught in with 10BB... ooo make 3BB raise and then get away... this allows for no post flop play, you have to not be put off when people actually have a strong hand. 10BB = shove and nothing else.
    Or you could always fold... but avoid the 3x raise.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nice to see u here Talon! - Always have expert advice on theory and technicalities of the game! Just played another 2 n cashed, so Im 5 from 8! 2 more n Im happy-ish, altho I haven' been outdrawn, or outdrawn anyone yet, so its a pretty fair reflection on my play. The 3 I lost, 2 I threw away and the 3rd was a marginal decision we've alreay discussed, so pretty happy so far. In one I lost, we're 5 handed, Ive just eliminated a player to double up to 4.5k. Im on the biig blind unraised with queen 5 diamonds. Flop comes 5, 8, K, 2 diamonds. I decide to check raise. Works perfectly, but my all in check raise gets snapped, he has top 2, miss my draw (only the flush to draw to :( ) and Im bak in trouble. This an example where I shud check call? or even just pass? Played with Dylan12 there a fellow team David-er, we got HU and decided to play 'proper'. Got it all in my ace 10 v his 7 10 diamonds! flop, 2, 3, 4. Turn 5! In the bag! OOOOPS, river 6! lol Gd fun, DOHH :)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    this is perhaps where you just fold... this is what i was talking about losing power in dym, you cant get it in with draws unfortunately.
  • Options
    Seagull158Seagull158 Member Posts: 1,100
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: DOHHH's TP preperation sit n go specific thread!.... : Personally, I've read a zillion quillion Hand Histories in the laat 10 or 12 years, & my eyes glaze over when I see them. But I love to see explanations of what, when how & why. Nobody is losing interest man - the Thread length, in 5 or 6 hours, tells us that. Remember something. 99% of us are not in Total Player, but we are living the dream journey through you guys. So keep this stuff coming. And if any of you scoop big one day, we'll feel a part of that. That 9-9 hand? 1) Hard to figure how someone could even imagine limping, let alone limp-folding, with 6 x BB's. I'd have been scared he was trapping with Aces or something! 2) But worrying about Aces aside, I am NOT making it 800 here. You can maybe make a case for folding, and we are NEVER flatting, but me, I'm shoving with 9-9 in this spot, all day long. And I'm Mr RockityNitty the RockNit from RockNitVille.* *Normally, KK is the bottom of my range, in case anyone gets funny ideas. OK? PS - How is google Chrome performing?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay, what's wrong with flatting to see what the guys behind do? If he raises behind you can lay them down, if he calls you see the flop and decide and if he folds you see the flop and put the shortstack AI.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    just beat my dym record... 12 £3 cashes :D wooo
  • Options
    IRISHROVERIRISHROVER Member Posts: 7,606
    edited January 2010
    just beat my dym record... 12 £3 cashes :D wooo
    Posted by BlackFish3

very well done mr black or should i say mr ed lol !
  • Options
    elsadogelsadog Member Posts: 5,677
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: DOHHH's TP preperation sit n go specific thread!.... : Tikay, what's wrong with flatting to see what the guys behind do? If he raises behind you can lay them down, if he calls you see the flop and decide and if he folds you see the flop and put the shortstack AI.
    Posted by Seagull158

I agree, an  aggressive flat call is my favourite move.