You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    Tikay10 said:

Tikay10 said:

I sometimes have a Wiki evening - start at a random page, then follow the hyper links & see where it takes me.

I've personally coined this a 'wiki tunnel'. I go into the tunnel most days and can never be too sure when I come out of the end. Sometimes I just have to smash a hole and break out.

Here's one of my favourite wikipedia pages, that you've probably already read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
    Wow, just wow, that's astonishing. And that's why I love Wiki surfing.

"Wiki Tunnel" works, yes, like that.

Wiki is the greatest. **** Facebook & Twatter.
    Yeah Phineas Gage is a remarkable story. It is one of the first things psychology students are introduced to as one of the ways you learn what different parts of the brain do is by seeing what happens when a certain part is damaged.

Pretty much ruined much of his life but I guess he is still rather lucky to even be alive after having a steel pole go through his napper :p
  • Options
    While we are on the topic of psychology. This is rather interesting (the neurobiology of sleep). One of the most fascinating areas of psychology IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWULB9Aoopc
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    It feels like time for an update so those not afflicted with severe insomnia might want to carry on your merry way ;)

As I have bored you all with before... I have been trying to strengthen my position with real world jobs to make life a little bit more stable (I think I was still at uni when I started this blog...). The hope being that it will provide a better platform to play poker from in the future, one in which every penny/cent of profit does not have to be cashed out to pay bills.

The teaching job has been going well. Things are quietening down now for the summer and everything has went rather swimmingly. One of my classes made a particularly poignant gesture the other day and threw a surprise 'thank you party' and brought this in (which they had baked themselves)...

About the only downside was that my contract runs out later this month. I had one of those pesky interview things last week though and thankfully I have been given a new shiny 1 year full time contract. Quite a relief and I can actually kick back and enjoy the summer now with some peace of mind.

The good news of late continued [proud daddy alert] with my daughter graduating her HND in fashion design. I even got to attend my first fashion show and watch some Burberry models showing off some of the clothes she had designed and made.

Hoping to actually have an increasing amount of time to hit the felt from now on, especially later in June when the summer hols get underway. Not sure if it is too late to bag some winnings for a last minute Vegas trip. Will certainly give it a shot.

Well, thanks for indulging me. Hope you are all doing well on and off the felt and maybe see you on the tables soon.
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    Those pesky interview's ay, at least your sign language is up to scratch, and you were able to make yourself understood ;) ( another year, well done mate)
    Only downside now, is,
    if you do decide to hit the tables,
    to make a few quid for the Vegas trip,
    I'll be there waiting to take your coin o:)
    GL with that.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited June 2018
    ajmilton said:

Those pesky interview's ay, at least your sign language is up to scratch, and you were able to make yourself understood ;) ( another year, well done mate)
    Only downside now, is,
    if you do decide to hit the tables,
    to make a few quid for the Vegas trip,
    I'll be there waiting to take your coin o:)
    GL with that.
    edit... you can't, have your cake, and eat it :D

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)

• Options
    PkDevilPkDevil Member Posts: 147
    @markycash Seems like you've been having a good run of it and congrats to your daughter on graduating. That's fantastic stuff! :smile:
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213
    edited July 2020
    If I tell you to go away, you'll call just to spite me, you always did.

So I look forward to you turning up with your usual deleterious matter & somehow getting there.

PS - how's the recovery & rehab going? I'm seriously interested, having been down a very similar road.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    markycash said:

In 2 minds whether to resurrect this or not.

2 years + since the last update. Terrifying how quickly - and unpredictably - life marches forward.

So much has happened in the last 2 years.

Due to recent events I am at a reflective point pondering exactly which path to chart in life and poker.

I have generally avoided social media for the last 2 years however the Sky community is the one place I have missed although who knows what will happen in relation to Pokerstars muscling in.

If there is any appetite for my often overly self-indulging wafflings then I will fill the gaps from the last 2 years and chart a path forward here for poker and life and see where it takes us.

Likely topics will be poker, lifestyle and weight loss, life priorities, politics with a dash of who knows what.

Amazing stuff!

Just got re-rid of Social Media as of last week.....

Keep well @markycash
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Good luck with the rehab and weight loss. Always interesting to read how people react to adversity. Positivity the way to go, easy to say not always easy to follow that path.
    Get playing some PLO8 and generate some chat on hand reviews, starting hands , tactics etc. I for one would like to chat about the four card game. After all you were responsible for the 08 bounty hunters in the first place.
  • Options
    pompeynic said:

Good luck with the rehab and weight loss. Always interesting to read how people react to adversity. Positivity the way to go, easy to say not always easy to follow that path.
    Get playing some PLO8 and generate some chat on hand reviews, starting hands , tactics etc. I for one would like to chat about the four card game. After all you were responsible for the 08 bounty hunters in the first place.

I'll never forgive him for that. Sacrilege.
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Tikay10 said:

pompeynic said:

I'll never forgive him for that. Sacrilege.
    I wish I knew how to be able to bold some text as you have.
    Yes the last line was mainly for you @Tikay10
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @pompeynic

Just paste the part you wish to highlight, then click the "B" (for BOLD) above the text box. Same logic for italic.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

^^^^
    can use two just phone each other up ;)

@stokefc

Ha, A+
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies and encouragement!!!! ;)

Now remember... When you can't find anything to read on the forum, and wind up here, reading my soporific gibberish...

You only have yourself to blame :p
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I will do a little round up of the last 2 years. Then turn to the present.

Installment 1...

Once upon a time

Kidding, I think I have become a smidgen more succinct these days :smile:

I think when I left this diary off I was embarking on the new college lecturing job and was trying to wangle myself a permanent position. Therefore, any poker exploits had to take a backseat.

Also, if I remember correctly I was having issues with my neighbours. Their idea of evening entertainment seemed to be partaking in a few beverages, bouncing each other off the walls, then having the local constabulary along to join in the mayhem.

This grew tiresome and finally I had enough and me and my better half rented a house on a golf course.

Great scenery and the dogs loved it!

Shortly after which I managed to snag the permanent teaching position and my old neighbour unfortunately succumbed to the alcohol.

Random scenery pic from the golf course and one of Harry trying to figure out how he had landed such a huge garden...

Installment 2 after I get my very much needed beauty sleep (and maybe a spin up or 2).
  • Options
    IkellyIkelly Member Posts: 1,374
    markycash said:

I will do a little round up of the last 2 years. Then turn to the present.

Installment 1...

Once upon a time

Kidding, I think I have become a smidgen more succinct these days :smile:

I think when I left this diary off I was embarking on the new college lecturing job and was trying to wangle myself a permanent position. Therefore, any poker exploits had to take a backseat.

Also, if I remember correctly I was having issues with my neighbours. Their idea of evening entertainment seemed to be partaking in a few beverages, bouncing each other off the walls, then having the local constabulary along to join in the mayhem.

This grew tiresome and finally I had enough and me and my better half rented a house on a golf course.

Great scenery and the dogs loved it!

Shortly after which I managed to snag the permanent teaching position and my old neighbour unfortunately succumbed to the alcohol.

Random scenery pic from the golf course and one of Harry trying to figure out how he had landed such a huge garden...

Installment 2 after I get my very much needed beauty sleep (and maybe a spin up or 2).

I too own a border collie, wouldn't change him for anything but does yours take up all of your time like mine Marky?
  • Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited July 2020
    Love Harry,We also have a Border Collie.She is starting to go grey now she has reached 13 & we will be devastated when her time is up.Border Collies are so loyaL,
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Great to see you posting again, especially after recent events.