You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,213

I feel sorry for his Students - he'll talk them to death.

• Options

One of his Students sent me a photo of Marky's classroom.

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited January 2018
    @tomgoodun - Thanks Tom, very much appreciated! Hope everything is going well with you and your family and that you all had a lovely time over the holidays!

@Tikay10 - "Bump for Lord GoOn&On&On. You gonna try & quit the ciggies then @markycash ?"

Ugg, Yeah. I guess I have ran out of excuses and delay tactics? I am going to go to a pharmacy and pick up one of the 'plastic inhalator' things today and will stop over the next couple of days. I don't like the e-cigs, they go for my throat and I cannot be bothered with the palaver of making sure they are constantly charged.

Are you still getting the cravings? Amazing the way you have managed to stop 'cold turkey'. You have set the bar high!

Hope 2018 is a good one for you mate. Great to see that you have come through the extreme challenges of 2017, are back playing a little poker, off the ciggies and tucking into the traditional Christmas fare provided by Fray Bentos. *Doffs imaginary cap at Tikay*

@MattBates - "The fact you care so much and prepare like you do means you will always do well in the job.

I am sure you will have lots of great moments many years into the future when you see former students doing well knowing that you positively effected their lives.

Best of luck for 2018 mate
    ".

Cheers Matt, much appreciated mate! You have hit the nail squarely on the head with the bolded part. If I manage to do this it will mean so much to me personally.

Hope the new year is good to you and your loved ones and that you manage to crush the tables in 2018 like you seem to do every year.

• Options
    Now that @Tikay10 has started me off I will do a little update. Just need to run a couple of errands and update the leaderboard first.

P.S. That photo... almost made me spit my morning tea out :D
  • Options
    Well firstly, Happy New Year everyone!

As mentioned, @Tikay10 has started me off and I am not one to pass up a perfectly good opportunity to waffle.

The festive period - Christmas was fun. It is at least a couple of years since I stopped believing in Santa and I do not care about receiving presents etc, however... My son and daughter came over to stay for a few days and my father also visited. It was nice to see them and have a little break from the usual challenges of daily life. I don't drink very often but I was feeling festive on Christmas night and therefore disposed of a half bottle of Rum. I was then feeling incredibly festive but had ran out of Rum and it was only around 9pm.

I then found a 30 year old bottle of Cognac in the cupboard. When I say '30 years old' I do not mean in a fancy maturing sense. It had been in my gran and grandfather's cupboard since the early/mid 1980s as they had bought it in a Malaysian duty free outlet but did not drink very often. It then found its way to my cupboard and had sat there for a couple of years. Well, although the quality of it would likely be nearer Turpentine solution than a fine spirit, I thought I would put it out of its misery and I polished that off. It had the desired effect and I ended up feeling about as 'festive' as was possible. Oh my, the hangover...

I rather sensibly elected to swerve the alcoholic endeavours on Hogmanay and was tucked up in bed well before 'the bells'.

The poker front - I see the WSOP schedule is out for 2018!

Are we allowed to start counting the number of sleeps now @Tikay10 ?

Some of those events look very tasty indeed. I am trying to put the building blocks in life into place so I can play exactly these type of tourneys. The 2018 WSOP is probably going to come around a little too soon to make a meaningful assault as I have just started the new job but I will try to be there and play at least a couple of events. If things go well between now and then I might play a few more.

Just in case we are allowed to start counting the days off...

Smoking - Well I had intended to stop, so no time like the present (well after I finish the couple I have in my last packet). Went down today and signed up to a 'stop smoking programme' and have these ready to go...

Thanks for indulging me and hope you all have a great 2018!
  • Options

Good luck with the "quit smoking" challenge Marky.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Quitting smoking is easy. I do it every January
  • Options
    In the mood to do a little update here so will ramble a little. Feedback or advice more than welcome.

In short: life is going great. So good that I am feeling a little paranoid and am waiting on the bubble bursting (a bit like the pain and pleasure thing in the 'Muller Light' adverts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_f0X9Sv97g

Due to the new job I have not been this tired since my twins were born some 23 years ago. However, the reward of seeing the progress which students are making makes it all easily worth it. It is rather difficult to (a) keep a class of diverse students focused (b) learning what they need to be learning and (c) have them enjoying the lessons. It is even more difficult when there are 11 classes and you are new to the job. Somehow I am managing to do this so far though and feedback from students and staff is about as good as it could be.

Work colleagues are great too. We even had a staff poker night at one of their houses on Friday night (still suffering this Sunday morning). The host had kitted out his summer house for the occasion with an array of alcoholic beverages, a neon poker sign, smart TV, folding beds, snacks etc etc. Everyone over indulged and we played 4 SNGs. I even managed 2 x 1sts and 2 x 3rds.

About the only downside (apart from the tiredness) is that it is very difficult to find time to play online. I always knew it would be though and the hope is that during the Easter and summer holidays I can make up for this. I really would love to be away in Vegas for the WSOP this year although my hours in the new job started off lower and I am only now starting to see the financial benefits kick in. Also, the summer is fast approaching. Still hoping to get away and play something this year but I think it will be next year before I can realistically hope to be away playing a 'schedule of events' at the WSOP. I am still hanging on to the hope that I find time before the summer to play online and put some funds together for a few events or snag some packages online. If not, WSOP 2019 it will have to be.

Well I will round my ramble up and thanks to anyone who read through my musings.

Hope you are all running great and that those who made it to Manchester are having a brilliant time!

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,146
    markycash said:

In the mood to do a little update here so will ramble a little. Feedback or advice more than welcome.

In short: life is going great. So good that I am feeling a little paranoid and am waiting on the bubble bursting (a bit like the pain and pleasure thing in the 'Muller Light' adverts).

Due to the new job I have not been this tired since my twins were born some 23 years ago. However, the reward of seeing the progress which students are making makes it all easily worth it. It is rather difficult to (a) keep a class of diverse students focused (b) learning what they need to be learning and (c) have them enjoying the lessons. It is even more difficult when there are 11 classes and you are new to the job. Somehow I am managing to do this so far though and feedback from students and staff is about as good as it could be.

Work colleagues are great too. We even had a staff poker night at one of their houses on Friday night (still suffering this Sunday morning). The host had kitted out his summer house for the occasion with an array of alcoholic beverages, a neon poker sign, smart TV, folding beds, snacks etc etc. Everyone over indulged and we played 4 SNGs. I even managed 2 x 1sts and 2 x 3rds.

About the only downside (apart from the tiredness) is that it is very difficult to find time to play online. I always knew it would be though and the hope is that during the Easter and summer holidays I can make up for this. I really would love to be away in Vegas for the WSOP this year although my hours in the new job started off lower and I am only now starting to see the financial benefits kick in. Also, the summer is fast approaching. Still hoping to get away and play something this year but I think it will be next year before I can realistically hope to be away playing a 'schedule of events' at the WSOP. I am still hanging on to the hope that I find time before the summer to play online and put some funds together for a few events or snag some packages online. If not, WSOP 2019 it will have to be.

Well I will round my ramble up and thanks to anyone who read through my musings.

Hope you are all running great and that those who made it to Manchester are having a brilliant time!

Schoolboy error, if you want to get invited back you need to lose a couple of times.....
  • Options
    HENDRIK62 said:

markycash said:

Schoolboy error, if you want to get invited back you need to lose a couple of times.....
    I did, the first 2 games were the 3rds :D
  • Options
    Hi all,

For various reasons it has been quite some time since I updated here. I fully understand that nobody on here will be waiting with baited breathe for an update on my shenanigans but sometimes it can be good to reflect on life's happenings every once in a while and take stock of things. I therefore have decided to do a little update here, if for nothing more than to personally ponder how things are going since I last checked in.

Firstly, I decided to put my social media into lockdown and deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts. I always knew I would miss reading how you were all doing over my morning coffee but I didn't really feel comfortable with students, colleagues, prospective employers etc being able to read about many aspects on my private life.

I also think that people tend to post a rather misleadingly positive impression of how their life is going; highlighting all the positives and missing out all the challenging stuff which life throws at us. As someone who teaches sociology, amongst other things, I feel this gives other people an unrealistic impression of how everyone's lives are progressing and puts them under undue pressure to reach a certain level with things in their own lives. I therefore decided not to take part in this.

Anyways, enough waffle about all of that. I just didn't want anyone on here to think I had unfriended them or anything silly like that. I just made a personal decision not to 'do Facebook'.

More inane wafflings incoming...
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Firstly, I decided to put my social media into lockdown and deleted my Facebook and Twitter accounts

Well done you, can't be a bad decision.

I quit Facebook 5 or 6 years ago, & I can genuinely say a) I don't miss it one bit & b) my life is genuinely better without Facebook.

For work reasons, I'm still on Twitter, but I never use it for personal stuff, & the day Sky Poker give me my P45 is the day I will quit Twitter.

There's way too much good stuff in life & not enough time to be faffing about ticking LIKE or whatever it is.

I'm actually obsessed with Wikipedia. I can't watch a TV documentary or Live sport without constantly referencing Wiki, it's THE most wonderful thing to learn about the world, people, science, sport and all sorts.

I sometimes have a Wiki evening - start at a random page, then follow the hyper links & see where it takes me.

I happened to be researching Seattle the other day via Wiki, & came across an expression I had never heard of previously.

This was the Wiki page;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_Place_Market

I had started with Seattle, then found Pike Place market.

The Market is built on the edge of a steep hill, and consists of several lower levels located below the main level. Each features a variety of unique shops such as antique dealers, comic book and collectible shops, small family-owned restaurants, and one of the oldest head shops in Seattle.

No googling, can anyone guess what a "head shop" is? I would never have guessed in 1,000 attempts.

It's not always accurate of course. I think this stat is utter bo**ox;

Pike Place Market is Seattle's most popular tourist destination and is the 33rd most visited tourist attraction in the world

Really?

I don't buy that.

I'm ALL IN
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Well as for the real life stuff...

When I finished my psychology degree last summer I thought things might be a bit challenging. I had applied for so many jobs and to be honest I had not prepared enough for the whole interviewing thing and was sort of cr@p at it if I am honest. I had actually gotten used to the whole rejection thing and finally an employer basically said... okay, lets see what you have got. To top it all off it was in a job I had wanted to do for some time (teaching in college).

Since then things have been a complete blur. The learning curve I have been on has been frankly quite insane. I would never want to do a job like this and be 'okay' at it. If I didn't feel I could help deliver an above average educational experience to students then I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror and would probably just quit. Money is important, we all have bills to pay, but it really isn't why I wanted to do what I am doing.

I am finally settling in, doing as good a job as I had hoped I could and the feedback has been very very positive. It is quite a hard thing to get on top of when you have so much paperwork, preparation etc to take care of and 120+ students whose educational experience is partly hinging on your performance. The finishing line is coming into sight now for this academic year and I thankfully can still look myself in the mirror and be relatively positive (well apart from the fact I should have done better in Tikay's 'Fat Club' thread).

I even managed to take part in some promotional videos for the college which promoted the use of technology in lessons. If anyone wants a laugh send me a private message and I will send a link to the videos. The students seem to have enjoyed things and are doing well in their lessons so all seems good currently. My contract ends in June and I just need to hope the college are happy to renew it.

Poker wafflings incoming...
  • Options
    Poker has been a bit of a let down to be honest.

For around 10 years I have had no problem maintaining a steadyish profit. However, I feel like I am just treading water currently. I am not sure why. It could be that I am trying too hard and it could be that I am too tired, my patience may be dwindling or maybe I need to work more on keeping my game current. I also don't feel variance is being particularly kind.

I managed to bag a £360 ticket to the Vegas final and was cruising along with a very healthy stack, as I had done in the previous 2 Vegas finals I played last summer. Then, when my stack was looking nice the wheels came off, as they did in the last two. I am finding it difficult when I get my stack in these things into that semi-comfort zone and the packages start to come into sight. I don't seem to have trouble building the stack initially but when it starts to make little equity sense to become involved in pots I dial down the aggression and am not finishing the job off. I think that even although it may not make much equity sense I am probably better just maintaining my aggression levels. It is just naturally how I play...

Anyways the summer is coming up and I should have oodles of time to throw chips around on the virtual felt and see what I can do.

I sincerely hope you are all doing well both on and off the tables. That is the one things I miss about about not having Facebook (seeing what you are all up to). So feel free to drop me an email or PM. I have met so many great folks on here and I would hate to lose contact with you all.

Have a great holiday weekend and hopefully see you on the tables.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

No googling, can anyone guess what a "head shop" is? I would never have guessed in 1,000 attempts.

Hmm, 'head shop'... I am going to have to ponder that one. I have some colourful ideas in mind but I don't think they would (a) be correct or (b) be suitable to write on here :D

The mind boggles.

Couldn't agree more with social media. I really don't regret that move.
  • Options
    markycash said:

Tikay10 said:

Hmm, 'head shop'... I am going to have to ponder that one. I have some colourful ideas in mind but I don't think they would (a) be correct or (b) be suitable to write on here :D

The mind boggles.

Ha. I can confirm it's not either of the 2 "obvious" things. ;_
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    Tikay10 said:

I sometimes have a Wiki evening - start at a random page, then follow the hyper links & see where it takes me.

I've personally coined this a 'wiki tunnel'. I go into the tunnel most days and can never be too sure when I come out of the end. Sometimes I just have to smash a hole and break out.

Here's one of my favourite wikipedia pages, that you've probably already read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
  • Options

Tikay10 said:

I've personally coined this a 'wiki tunnel'. I go into the tunnel most days and can never be too sure when I come out of the end. Sometimes I just have to smash a hole and break out.

Here's one of my favourite wikipedia pages, that you've probably already read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
    Wow, just wow, that's astonishing. And that's why I love Wiki surfing.

"Wiki Tunnel" works, yes, like that.

Wiki is the greatest. **** Facebook & Twatter.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

markycash said:

Tikay10 said:

The mind boggles.

The best I can come up with - which is suitable to post on here - would be a wig shop?
  • Options
    markycash said:

Tikay10 said:

markycash said:

Tikay10 said:

The mind boggles.

The best I can come up with - which is suitable to post on here - would be a wig shop?
    Nope, not even close.

Try again.