You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Token of Appreciation. Pledge of Positivity. Thanks to all who have signed the petition!

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited November 2016
    Oh well bricked the PLO event. Took an early hit with a house under house and never got back to starting. Eventually missed a bluff spot and then bluffed a wrong spot v TommyDs flopped set of Aces to get down to fumes which only survived the 1 all in.

I have still had a profitable UKOPS down to winning 2 semis for that event.

May try and sat in another event before it finishes but focus will be on the mini ukops and treble points from next week.

I wonder if we will be able to tempt mr Kendall to stay up past his bed time and keep the PLO8 tables running until midnight?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Decisions decisions, poker is full of them of course many are easy and some not so much.

This week we have mini ukops, a first time the lower buy ins have had their own separate festival on top of which there is a Total Player leaderboard with bonus and you still get a coveted UKOPS bracelet for winning them.

Then we also have 3 hours of triple points every night on both cash and sngs starting tonight but running all month.

2 whopping promos for the lower stakes recs like me. I hope they are well supported and encourage repeats/similar ones in the future. 

I happen to have a free entry into the £11 event so that will be my focus tonight, although I know I will not be able to play a full schedule on most evenings so don't hold any leaderboard ambitions.

I earned another £2.30 token but it looks like I will be adding cash equivalents for the rest of this month as 500+ points should be so achievable. 

PNE returned to winning ways once they finally didnt have to play Newcastle again. Away at bottom placed Rotherham was a good test having beaten 2 and drawn away to one of the top 5 in the last month, could we beat a "lesser" team. Yes we could and 13/10 was a nice price to have on it. Also backed Burnley to win at home v palace. 21/10 seemed a great price with Burnleys home record, coasting at 2-0 but needed an injury time winner in the end. Luckily I was out shopping and didnt have the option of the cash out button.

I will be watching football standing up next week, looking forward to the Southport v Maidstone match. Maidstone were held to a draw by Rochdale conceding a late goal this weekend. Still keeps them in the hat.

There was some debate on SR23s diary about the appropriate  beverage to have before/during a poker session. I am hoping they are onto something there as I recall having a pot of "mountain tea" brought back from Crete, before my recent deep run in a main event. Before my recent 2nd hand crash out of the £55 rebuy I had a coffee because I was feeling a little tired.

Small sample but it must be the drink right? Mountain Tea tonight and we will see if this scientific experiment holds up. It does have medicinal properites allegedly. 

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited November 2016
    What's this mountain tea you speak of? Sounds powerful stuff...
    Thinking about playing all of this week's mini UKOPs, so hopefully see you out there somewhere
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    http://www.completely-crete.com/greek-mountain-tea.html

I tried some for the first time in Crete this September from a natural products gift shop in a monastery on the lisithi plateau.

The young sales lady was very pursuasive and insisted I should try some because it was good for the atheletic person. 

I have got into various green teas over the past few years so I gave it a try and bought some of the plant to bring home. 

Trouble is if my experiment tonight proves the tea also brings poker success I could be in trouble as I am running low.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Ok inconclusive on the mountain tea, I certainly did better than the coffee night but then that was easily achieved, in this case by not taking my seat up until 25 mins had passed.If I had FT'd that would have been conclusive proof of its vrtues and if I had crashed at the beginning it would have totally debunked the theory.

I cant really credit the tea with winning a flip AK v 99 to take a head and get up to a decent stack, or blame it for running AQ into AK, or JTs into AJ when I was down to about 13 bigs. So 1 head of £3.75, at least it's a profit.

I decided to check out my s/scope tonight, mainly because I feared my failures to cash in big events may have cost me in s/scope profit figures. I already knew my PLO semi wins hadnt been credited properly and obviosuly s/scope doesnt take into account free forum comp entries. Worse still I noticed my £55 free entry into the rebuy was put down as a £97 loss as it assumes an "average" no of rebuys/addons. A bit harsh when I was 2nd out of the comp.

Still it seems s/scope errors can actually work both ways, as a £1.20 sateliite into the sunday M/E semi was credited as full value for the M/E not the semi. So my s/scope profit chart has actually gone up.

I'll take it, plenty of other free entries before the latest 2 in forum comps over the years may just balance out.

Didnt really smash the points either so it's a good job there are 27 more days of them to come.

• Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation (0 to somewhere nice with the aid of a few tokens) 1st tokens put to good use:
    http://www.completely-crete.com/greek-mountain-tea.html I tried some for the first time in Crete this September from a natural products gift shop in a monastery on the lisithi plateau. The young sales lady was very pursuasive and insisted I should try some because it was good for the atheletic person.  I have got into various green teas over the past few years so I gave it a try and bought some of the plant to bring home.  Trouble is if my experiment tonight proves the tea also brings poker success I could be in trouble as I am running low.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Wow, it does all sorts - thanks for the link. Really into all things Crete at the moment (bar, for the time being, actually going there) after reading Natural Born Heroes earlier in the year. 

• Options
    edited November 2016

Not hitting the points or the mini UKOPS as much as I would have liked. Havent got to 200 pts. Should still get 500, just need one full session on the triple points. The HUFA draw prep took a bit of time out of playing time so now that's done I should be ok.

Last night had flipitis lost with AK to under pairs flopping sets when I hit A or K just to rub it in.

Tbf selective memory in play as the very first AK v underpair I hit and held to take a bounty. Without that I wouldn't have got to the point of losing the other 2. One would have been nice as I had a reasonable stack and was all-in 3 way v AQs and 88 only to lose out on 2 bounties and a top 5 stack after hitting a K.

I was told today I am "almost unique", for anyone trying to be unique that must be quite a rubdown.

@SR23 If you are into Cretan things and reading you could try freedom and death nikos Kazantzakis. It is not a light read by any stretch but I enjoyed it.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Eventually crept over the 500 pt barrier at around 11:30pm on Sunday.

Challenge roll is now £4.60 tokens and £8.65 cash

Went to watch Maidstone (my home town) v Southport (short drive from Preston) last Saturday with my younger son.

We were 2-0 down at half time and 3-0 down soon after the restart, came back to 3-2 so plenty of goals at least.

My son wanted to sit in the stand - no chance said I, you need to experience football the proper way, old school, stood on a concrete step behind the goals.

The overall crowd was a few under 1000. There must have been 100ish Maidstone supporters which I thought was quite something. It is quite a drive if you come from Maidstone not Preston.

The Stones even had a singing section and drummer to add to the atmosphere.

Part way through the first half there was an incident. A player was receiving treatment so son and I walked round to the refreshment portakabin for a hot drink. While waiting there was a pitch invasion. It was actually a young lad running on the pitch.

When we were walking back to our spot the father was walking the boy towards us and presumably to the exit. The boy was clearly distressed and from his voice and body language it was pretty obvious he had some kind of special needs.

As we took our spot on the terracing a guy started  shouting at the parent, telling him it was a disgrace and that the club could get in trouble for that, calling him a terrible parent etc. The man starts to defend himself, didn't see the gap in barrier and when the guy doesn't back down starts trying to explain his sons condition. Guy doesnt listen and just carries on having a go at the parent.

To paint a picture of this guy, earlier in the half he was complaining about the food. He had a pie with gravy and a slice of buttered bread. Tbf I would have complained as the gravy looked a bit wallow. His complaint was that he didn't want gravy, but because they wouldnt charge less for not having it he had it anyway and also made them butter the bread "as advertised". He seemed to delight in telling his group of friends about this.

Back to the confrontation, other fans get involved telling the guy to shut up, parent doesn't back down, a steward gets involved and eventually the man continues his walk. I just felt sorry for the poor lad in this, who was crying throughout and shouting I want to go home. Queue singing section "Southport's a ***hole he wants to go home" which might have been funny in different circumstances.

Just before half time we concede a 2nd goal from a disputed corner. Our guy of course knew for sure it hadn't gone out, even though viewing it from totally the wrong angle. The linesman was perfectly placed to see whether the curve of the ball had indeed taken it over the goal line.

So we are 2-0 down and it is all the officals fault. Personally I blamed our inability to keep the ball in midfield or mark from set pieces but what do I know.

When we go 3-0 down attention turns to the manager, selection and recruitment policy. As if I didnt dislike the guy enough already he complains that the manager seems to have "a fetish for little black guys". "Perhaps he wants to make a remake of Charlie and the Chocolate factory".

I was totally gobsmacked. I can rememebr racist chants being a thing when I first started watching football, glad that is all but erradicated now and this definitely wasn't the kind of nostalgic experience I was after.

What is worse though is that I did not say anything to the guy. Been beating myself up about that since.

I vow here and now not to let anything that disgusting go unchallenged.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,395
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation (0 to somewhere nice with the aid of a few tokens) 1st tokens put to good use:
    Eventually crept over the 500 pt barrier at around 11:30pm on Sunday. Challenge roll is now £4.60 tokens and £8.65 cash Went to watch Maidstone (my home town) v Southport (short drive from Preston) last Saturday with my younger son. We were 2-0 down at half time and 3-0 down soon after the restart, came back to 3-2 so plenty of goals at least. My son wanted to sit in the stand - no chance said I, you need to experience football the proper way, old school, stood on a concrete step behind the goals. The overall crowd was a few under 1000. There must have been 100ish Maidstone supporters which I thought was quite something. It is quite a drive if you come from Maidstone not Preston. The Stones even had a singing section and drummer to add to the atmosphere. Part way through the first half there was an incident. A player was receiving treatment so son and I walked round to the refreshment portakabin for a hot drink. While waiting there was a pitch invasion. It was actually a young lad running on the pitch. When we were walking back to our spot the father was walking the boy towards us and presumably to the exit. The boy was clearly distressed and from his voice and body language it was pretty obvious he had some kind of special needs. As we took our spot on the terracing a guy started  shouting at the parent, telling him it was a disgrace and that the club could get in trouble for that, calling him a terrible parent etc. The man starts to defend himself, didn't see the gap in barrier and when the guy doesn't back down starts trying to explain his sons condition. Guy doesnt listen and just carries on having a go at the parent. To paint a picture of this guy, earlier in the half he was complaining about the food. He had a pie with gravy and a slice of buttered bread. Tbf I would have complained as the gravy looked a bit wallow. His complaint was that he didn't want gravy, but because they wouldnt charge less for not having it he had it anyway and also made them butter the bread "as advertised". He seemed to delight in telling his group of friends about this. Back to the confrontation, other fans get involved telling the guy to shut up, parent doesn't back down, a steward gets involved and eventually the man continues his walk. I just felt sorry for the poor lad in this, who was crying throughout and shouting I want to go home. Queue singing section "Southport's a ***hole he wants to go home" which might have been funny in different circumstances. Just before half time we concede a 2nd goal from a disputed corner. Our guy of course knew for sure it hadn't gone out, even though viewing it from totally the wrong angle. The linesman was perfectly placed to see whether the curve of the ball had indeed taken it over the goal line. So we are 2-0 down and it is all the officals fault. Personally I blamed our inability to keep the ball in midfield or mark from set pieces but what do I know. When we go 3-0 down attention turns to the manager, selection and recruitment policy. As if I didnt dislike the guy enough already he complains that the manager seems to have "a fetish for little black guys". "Perhaps he wants to make a remake of Charlie and the Chocolate factory". I was totally gobsmacked. I can rememebr racist chants being a thing when I first started watching football, glad that is all but erradicated now and this definitely wasn't the kind of nostalgic experience I was after. What is worse though is that I did not say anything to the guy. Been beating myself up about that since. I vow here and now not to let anything that disgusting go unchallenged.
    Posted by Phantom66
    What flavour was the pie ?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation (0 to somewhere nice with the aid of a few tokens) 1st tokens put to good use : What flavour was the pie ?
    Posted by mumsie
    Not sure. Meat and potatoe possibly.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,648
    edited November 2016
    was the stones drummer charlie watts :)

say no to racism its deplorable
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    was the stones drummer charlie watts :) say no to racism its deplorable
    Posted by stokefc

:)

I have pulled up colleagues / friends / family when they have said things not as bad as that. Shamed I didnt have the nerve to tackle this guy, maybe because I was with my son, or maybe I am just a gutless wimp.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Time for a 100% poker update.

I played a plo8 dym last night. I cashed.

6pts.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Settled for the easy 100pts last week so challenge roll is now £6.90 tokens and £8.35 cash.

Feeling a little diary envy atm. I havent got the wit/style of SR23, the results of TimmyRara or the real ife mates and holiday brags of Jac35.

So if anyone is still reading, congrats, or should I say perhaps you need to get out more?

Next week I'll be mostly offline as Mrs P and I are  taking a week off in a cottage. It probably doesnt take Sherlock Holmes to work out I have a milestone birthday this year. Happens to be this week. 

I think there is a pattern emerging. For Mrs Ps 40th we went to the Carribean, for my 40th we went to a cottage in Scotland.

Mrs P wants a crusie for her 50th. We are going to Derbyshire for mine. Still love her to bits - and if I can please win some more at poker between now and then, hopefully I can make that happen.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited November 2016
    Settled for the easy 100pts last week so challenge roll is now £6.90 tokens and £8.35 cash. Feeling a little diary envy atm. I havent got the wit/style of SR23, the results of TimmyRara or the real ife mates and holiday brags of Jac35. So if anyone is still reading, congrats, or should I say perhaps you need to get out more? Next week I'll be mostly offline as Mrs P and I are  taking a week off in a cottage. It probably doesnt take Sherlock Holmes to work out I have a milestone birthday this year. Happens to be this week.  I think there is a pattern emerging. For Mrs Ps 40th we went to the Carribean, for my 40th we went to a cottage in Scotland. Mrs P wants a crusie for her 50th. We are going to Derbyshire for mine. Still love her to bits - and if I can please win some more at poker between now and then, hopefully I can make that happen.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Why?
    Where?
  • Options
    darklady20darklady20 Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2016
    can somebody enlighten me on the voucher strategy as talking to staff on the phone is hopeless they really are of no help and dont want to help is the attitude ive found .  F or weeks ive been receiving a voucher of £5 for earing 50+points per week....ive not received it for 2 weeks even tho i have earned the points....am i entitled or does it have to be 100 points now in which case i have no chance as i only play in tournis
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hi darklady.

The £5 token for 50 points is an occasional invite only promotion.

Not sure of the specifics but it goes something like you get a SMS/Email saying you have a £2.50 token and you can get another £2.50 if you get 50 points by the end of the week.

The normal rewards tokens are £2.30 and you need to get between 100 and 499 points to get one.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation (0 to somewhere nice with the aid of a few tokens) 1st tokens put to good use : Why? Where?
    Posted by Jac35
    The where is the easy bit, between Ashbourne and Belper.

Why? People go to strange places on holiday. Jimi even went to Preston once.

Ok Reasons.

1. Needed/wanted a break
    2. We wanted to be able to take our dog with us and have places to walk her.
    3. We didnt want to go too far
    4. We liked Chatsworth House Christmas Market and wanted to go back
    5. We havent really explored much of the Peak District before so plenty of places to visit
    6. Any recommendations? Dog friendly pubs/tea rooms/shopping? Dont really want too many shopping options though tbh

• Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,175
    edited November 2016
    can somebody enlighten me on the voucher strategy as talking to staff on the phone is hopeless they really are of no help and dont want to help is the attitude ive found .  F or weeks ive been receiving a voucher of £5 for earing 50+points per week....ive not received it for 2 weeks even tho i have earned the points....am i entitled or does it have to be 100 points now in which case i have no chance as i only play in tournis
    Posted by darklady20
    The award for 50+ points per week is access to the REWARDS freerolls, which are on Mon - Fri at 7.30pm. As far as I'm aware they don't give tokens for this, unless maybe you are new to the site, and you have been given them as an incentive to use in Tournaments. In which case, when you enter a Tournament, you will be asked if you want to use your tokens, and you just change the NO in the checkbox, to YES.....note that you dont get change, so always use a £5 token for a Tournament/satellite valued at £5 or more. Also note with the tokens that if you have x2 tokens to use, they will take both, so better to enter a tournament valued at £10 or more. 
    The other way you get £5 tokens is if you are a member of the SKY BET CLUB then you get the tokens if you bet £25 or more(at EVENS or greater) you get £5 per week, though these do expire after a week. You can check the expiry date for your tokens on the 'My Account' tab (Top Left above the 'HOME' tab) and then go to the PROMOTIONS tab on the right hand end.
    Hope you can understand all this.....All the Best and GOOD LUCK with your tokens
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,479
    edited November 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation (0 to somewhere nice with the aid of a few tokens) 1st tokens put to good use : The where is the easy bit, between Ashbourne and Belper. Why? People go to strange places on holiday. Jimi even went to Preston once. Ok Reasons. 1. Needed/wanted a break 2. We wanted to be able to take our dog with us and have places to walk her. 3. We didnt want to go too far 4. We liked Chatsworth House Christmas Market and wanted to go back 5. We havent really explored much of the Peak District before so plenty of places to visit 6. Any recommendations? Dog friendly pubs/tea rooms/shopping? Dont really want too many shopping options though tbh
    Posted by Phantom66
    I lived in Belper for a short while. Penny is from Ashbourne which is about 15 mins from where we live now.
    I'd go to Bakewell. Lovely place. 
    Dovedale is a must. Would be very nice to take your dog a walk there.
    Carsington Water is ok.
    Matlock is a bit tacky now in truth but some lovely walks around there and decent pubs .
    If you get pass out then you'd be very welcome to join me for the Sunday night rebuy at Derby. Derby city centre is only 20 minutes or so away from both Belper and Ashbourne