You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fat Club - let's lose weight, quit smoking & be more healthy in 2018.

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited January 2018
    Okay, I am in too.

Firstly, good luck to those who have joined in and set some targets.

Exercising more and losing weight - I have combined these for obvious reasons. I am currently around 17st 8lbs. I never have too much trouble losing a stone or two but I tend to put it back on during the winter. If I could get under 14 stone then I feel I might see such a marked difference that it then inspires me to keep the weight off during the winter. So yup, goal for this is to be anything under 14 stone by the end of the year.

Smoking - Okay this really is the priority and will make the above goal rather difficult. I probably average 25 ciggies a day (has been nearer 40 a day at points in my life). I have smoked since I was about 12/13 (now 41) and I thoroughly enjoy my 'smokes'. If smoking were good for you - or at least not bad for you - and was inexpensive, then I would have absolutely no inclination to stop. However, they are rather expensive and obviously do not do much to promote good health.

I have joined a stop smoking programme this week and have some newly acquired 'stop smoking aids' currently sat about 3 feet away from me. I plan to make the leap in the coming days. I have been hesitant in 'starting my attempt at stopping' as I really want to succeed this time. Ready to give it everything I have in the coming days.

It also seems rather ridiculous to be at the mercy of this addiction. I have done training in addictions, drug awareness, advanced drug awareness, lapse and relapse prevention etc etc and am now spending part of my time teaching people about this stuff. Time to practice what I preach and not be a hypocrite I guess.
  • Options
    @Essexphil

You might remember we had one of these each in the summer?

We might each be around 1 stone closer to our goals if we had skipped that :D
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,024
    Phantom66 said:

Welcome Phil.

Day 2 walk completed so 2/2 on the exercise front. I could probably push myself a little harder but the main aim is to exercise every day and build it up gradually.

I wouldn't say the healthy eating is going as well but I do have the burden of finishing off the Christmas goodies and it would have been very rude to turn down a portion of my son's signature bread and butter pudding.

Are we going to have a collective fat club weighing in day?

Great idea.

Do you mean periodically - say, weekly, or monthly?

If you decide what suits, I'll do a reminder on those days.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Essexphil said:

OK, I'm in, if only to make others feel better.
    Starting weight 20 stone, 2 lbs. Been heavy ever since gave up ciggies 11 years ago.
    Want to get a dog when we finally move-too lazy to exercise regularly for myself, but couldn't not exercise a dog.
    I'll settle for my weight beginning with a "1" b4 Manchester

Beginning with a 1? Ha, pretty sure you can manage that Phil.

I sympathise with the weight gain after quitting the smokes, I've ballooned up since I quit 9 months ago.

And with age, it seems harder & harder to lose that excess weight. I used to be able to drop a stone in a month, no bother, but it's a real struggle to lose even a few lbs now.

Good luck mate.

PS - should add that whilst excess weight is bad, its MUCH less bad than smoking.
  • Options

Good to see we have Marky on board now, too.

Good luck when you start, mate.

If you read this book, I guarantee you will find it easy. In fact, I'll pay you the cost of the book if it does not work. It's stunningly good.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Tikay10 said:

Phantom66 said:

Welcome Phil.

Day 2 walk completed so 2/2 on the exercise front. I could probably push myself a little harder but the main aim is to exercise every day and build it up gradually.

I wouldn't say the healthy eating is going as well but I do have the burden of finishing off the Christmas goodies and it would have been very rude to turn down a portion of my son's signature bread and butter pudding.

Great idea.

Yes I was thinking weekly. I guess a Friday makes sense to tie in with SPT specific targets.

But maybe start next Friday? I am only 3 days in and the healthy eating part will not start until this coming week. It would be nice to actually be under my starting weight at the first weigh in.

PS Welcome Marky. I am sure the melon on the plate balanced that meal out. Best of luck especially with the ciggie cessation.
  • Options

Quick update.

Still doing 2 walks daily, though I missed one yesterday due to time pressure.

Diet is going great, too, am sticking rigidly to it.

Instead of a piece of cake or a sticky bun or two each night, I now have a bowl of fresh strawberries, with a splash of Zero Fat Greek Yoghourt.

Eating, & food generally, is amazingly better when we are dieting. Meal times are a thorough delight now.

Whether I'm losing any weight remains to be seen, but I can't try harder than I am.
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

Tikay10 said:

Phantom66 said:

Welcome Phil.

Great idea.

Yes I was thinking weekly. I guess a Friday makes sense to tie in with SPT specific targets.

But maybe start next Friday?
    I am only 3 days in and the healthy eating part will not start until this coming week. It would be nice to actually be under my starting weight at the first weigh in.

PS Welcome Marky. I am sure the melon on the plate balanced that meal out. Best of luck especially with the ciggie cessation.
    Perfect - weekly weigh-ins start next Friday, & every Friday thereafter.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,278
    markycash said:

@Essexphil

I loved that meal-a real highlight of that trip.
    Difficult playing poker when all 4 of my stomachs were hurting, mind!
    And we didn't even finish the meal...
  • Options
    There is 1 easy way to give up.
    I always enjoyed smoking, so usual tortures didn't work.

Once I accepted that (for financial and health reasons) I would enjoy not smoking even more than smoking, it was easy. (That, and I had promised She Who Must Be Obeyed :) )

Work out what you spend on cigs, and put that money in a jar. Marky-bet that's a couple of WSOP events.

Please be careful of the artificial products out there-quit properly if you can
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

There is 1 easy way to give up.
    I always enjoyed smoking, so usual tortures didn't work.

Once I accepted that (for financial and health reasons) I would enjoy not smoking even more than smoking, it was easy. (That, and I had promised She Who Must Be Obeyed :) )

Work out what you spend on cigs, and put that money in a jar. Marky-bet that's a couple of WSOP events.

Please be careful of the artificial products out there-quit properly if you can

Good point - if Marky gets though 25 ciggies a day, that's about £5,000 per year. That's a Vegas trip & a few buy-ins in itself.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

markycash said:

@Essexphil

I loved that meal-a real highlight of that trip.
    Difficult playing poker when all 4 of my stomachs were hurting, mind!
    And we didn't even finish the meal...
    Was that at Hash House A Go Go in the Rio Corridor?

Gill & I love American food, & has breakfast there once. Jeez, biggest brekkie I ever had in my life, we were podged all day.
  • Options
    It was.
    Eaten there before-true re portion sizes.
    Marky decided we needed to do the Man vs Food challenge....Food won :)
  • Options
    @Tikay10 - Will see if I can find a PDF of the book and give it a read. Completely agree that stopping smoking is the main priority. It would be ideal to lose weight too but I will prioritise quitting the ciggies.

@Essexphil - I like your point about accepting that one scenario can be better than the other. I would definitely be happier feeling a bit fitter, having a few more £'s and being free of the addiction.

I am think of penciling in Sunday as 'D-Day' for the ciggies. I do not have much else on that day so can fight the 1st day cravings and hopefully come out on top.

A big +1 for weigh in days.
  • Options

The main theme of Alan Carr's book is self-esteem.

When we quit the smokes, we look at those folks standing outside in bad weather, in some filthy stinking smoking shelter, & generally feel utter contempt for them. Because they are addicted, & we are not.

And when we go somewhere - anywhere - we don't first have to pat our pockets to make sure we have a pack of ciggies & a lighter. The addicts do.

And our clothes don't stink. Theirs do.

And so on.

So every time we go past a smoking area, & see the poor souls stood there, getting their fix, we can be pretty smug.

In saying all that, I'm not digging at you or other smokers Marky - I smoked for 54 years. And paid the bill, both in health & money terms.

Good luck mate. If you are doing it correctly, it'll be easy. If it's hard, you are doing it wrong.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    @markycash and others ceasing ciggies there is full audiobook version of Allen Carr's book on Youtube as well as various shorter videos covering the main aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNkpkD7F0Y
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

The main theme of Alan Carr's book is self-esteem.

When we quit the smokes, we look at those folks standing outside in bad weather, in some filthy stinking smoking shelter, & generally feel utter contempt for them. Because they are addicted, & we are not.

And when we go somewhere - anywhere - we don't first have to pat our pockets to make sure we have a pack of ciggies & a lighter. The addicts do.

And our clothes don't stink. Theirs do.

And so on.

So every time we go past a smoking area, & see the poor souls stood there, getting their fix, we can be pretty smug.

In saying all that, I'm not digging at you or other smokers Marky - I smoked for 54 years. And paid the bill, both in health & money terms.

Good luck mate. If you are doing it correctly, it'll be easy. If it's hard, you are doing it wrong.

Cheers mate,

So it is about manipulating our psychology and framing it (stopping smoking) in a certain light. I am supposed to be good at that lol...

That is a very interesting way of approaching it.

Some excellent advice already. I wonder how many smokers can turn themselves into ex-smokers via the thread. I will endeavour to be the first.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Phantom66 said:

@markycash and others ceasing ciggies there is full audiobook version of Allen Carr's book on Youtube as well as various shorter videos covering the main aspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNkpkD7F0Y

Oh yes, this is more my kind of reading!

Thanks Phantom
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,032
    I'm in

I did start a diary last year but due to a turbulent couple of months I could no longer commit to updating, in fact everything went to pot for a while. This thread is ideal though and a motivator for us all to stick at it.

I'm starting the diet and fitness regime on Monday. Daren't weigh myself but I know it wont be pretty as the top buttons on my jeans have been screaming for help for a while.

I slipped back into smoking again over Christmas after 5 months without a single smoke so after this pack of 20 I'm back to vaping.

I will post on Monday with my current weight and target etc. I'm having one last unhealthy weekend as I have family coming to stay, which will involve takeaway and alcohol.

Gl to us all.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

I'm in

I did start a diary last year but due to a turbulent couple of months I could no longer commit to updating, in fact everything went to pot for a while. This thread is ideal though and a motivator for us all to stick at it.

I'm starting the diet and fitness regime on Monday. Daren't weigh myself but I know it wont be pretty as the top buttons on my jeans have been screaming for help for a while.

I slipped back into smoking again over Christmas after 5 months without a single smoke so after this pack of 20 I'm back to vaping.

I will post on Monday with my current weight and target etc. I'm having one last unhealthy weekend as I have family coming to stay, which will involve takeaway and alcohol.

Gl to us all.

Good stuff Ryan, this can only be good, & as you say, working as team, we can maybe help motivate each other.